• 63 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The first game that will be given for free through the "Games With Gold" program announced at E3 for Xbox Live Gold users in July will be Defense Grid: The Awakening, according to Major Nelson.

It'll be free to download from July 1st to July 15th, when it'll cycle out and the second game for July will be introduced.

This isn't Assassin's Creed II or Halo 3. But it's free, so yay?

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dkessler175

Haha a 5 year old xbla game.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dunno. i think this game is dope!

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

You got to start somewhere, I guess.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Fable 3 is totally free right now on Gold over here

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@euandewar said:

I added the precision of first free "July" game. I think Fable III was actually the first one? It's kind of silly that the first games they used to promote the service at E3 haven't been offered yet.

Edit: Apparently, Fable III was not part of this promotion while it was still available for free.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By recroulette

This is what I came to say.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh cool, that's the same value as

• Battlefield 3
  • Payday: The Heist
  • Saints Row the Third
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
  • Unit 13
  • Demon's Souls
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ico

/troll

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

what? I got that like 2 years ago on Steam for $2-$3. Going to have to try harder MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oh boy!

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just came here to post this. What a pile of wank. People I know who never had Halo 3 or AC2 were all excited and now they've been handed this pitiful crap. Don't you "It's free, don't complain!" shite (you will, though) because it's a complete bait and switch. Are Halo 3 and AC2 the main course stars of the show we're meant to be licking our lips for while we're given these stale rolls. What a shocker.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

God, Microsoft just doesn't get it do they?

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's disappointing.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Playstation Plus started with a bunch of small titles as well, so don't expect some big games right away.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Commisar123

.............wow

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah uhhh I really hope that Halo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 aren't suppose to be the biggest games we get outta this.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

I feel like this game has been on sale a billion times, I'm pretty sure i picked it up for 100 space bucks at one point.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Voxatron

@captaintightpants: yeah, but this isn't even a service that's suppose to last past december. so clock is ticking.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@captaintightpants said:

Playstation Plus started with a bunch of small titles as well, so don't expect some big games right away.

What were the first free games given by PS+? And, unlike Games With Gold, the service for giving out free games that is PS+ won't only last a period of about 4 months.

CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voxatron: @fluxwavez: It's two free games a month, at the very least. As for the first free games with PS+, this is the only list I could find. Wipeout HD was the first game offered on the Ps3 according to that.

Edit: And Rally Cross for the PS1, forgot that one.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Microsoft should have learned by now that you just can't make people happy these days and should've continued to not give anything extra for a service that millions of people will pay for anyway. It's free, who cares. Disappointing? The other alternative is that they wouldn't have done anything at all. I mean I won't be downloading this game - heck I've let my Gold actually run out several months ago after 5 years of dutifully renewing it and I still think it's cool that they're finally offering something extra.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

You know, I keep trying to not be an ass about this re-surfacing "console war" business by staying neutral, but man, Microsoft sure is good at half-assing it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I bought that off Steam long ago for basically a few dollars. We'll see next time I guess, since it's still a nice initiative.

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Voxatron

@captaintightpants said:

@voxatron: @fluxwavez: It's two free games a month, at the very least. As for the first free games with PS+, this is the only list I could find. Wipeout HD was the first game offered on the Ps3 according to that.

Edit: that wiki article seems way wrong, officially it's like instant game's first year still? I'm almost certain in the states too it started with Virtua Fighter 5, inFAMOUS 2, Little Big Planet 2, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hard Corp: Uprising, Choplifter HD, Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone, and Sideway NY.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voxatron said:

@captaintightpants said:

sorry, but not even close i think you're confusing the "instant game collection" and the "plus service" as a whole. in the states at least, it started with Virtua Fighter 5, inFAMOUS 2, Little Big Planet 2, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hard Corp: Uprising, Choplifter HD, Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone, and Sideway NY.

That's what I thought. XBL Gold gave free games before this GWG, but so did PS+ before the IGC.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's pretty pathetic.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this big sale Major Nelson is talking about this week are actually good deals and not 10% off bullshit.

I put off buying the Witcher 2 to see if i could get it for cheap this week. It best get cheaper than a new copy off amazon or fuck them.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, not horrible but not great either.

The one thing I can say about this promotion is at least you get to keep the games forever as opposed to PS+. (Though in all honesty you really can't compare part of a service to a one time promotion, can you?)

CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: @voxatron: All the games you mentioned are part of the instant game collection (They were the 12 free games offered in June 2012). I have no idea what you're talking about apart from that, your post is kind of confusing.

Edit: Ah, I believe you're referring to this part of the wikipedia page: "The PlayStation Plus Service changed models in June, 2012 to have a constant selection of 12 games always available, as opposed to the previously non-fixed number."

Those were the first games offered when the subscription model changed, so you may have thought that it was the launch of the feature.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm starting to take these insults from MS personally.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SCORE!

Voxatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: @voxatron: All the games you mentioned are part of the instant game collection (They were the 12 free games offered in June 2012). I have no idea what you're talking about apart from that, your post is kind of confusing.

Edit: Ah, I believe you're referring to this part of the wikipedia page: "The PlayStation Plus Service changed models in June, 2012 to have a constant selection of 12 games always available, as opposed to the previously non-fixed number."

Those were the first games offered when the subscription model changed, so you may have thought that it was the launch of the feature.

exactly, IGC didn't launch as a "official" benefit of "membership" till June 2012. so one shouldn't really retroactively add all the games that were distributed prior into it too, especially when Sony themselves only recognize it as being a year old or whatever.

@voxatron said:

@captaintightpants said:

sorry, but not even close i think you're confusing the "instant game collection" and the "plus service" as a whole. in the states at least, it started with Virtua Fighter 5, inFAMOUS 2, Little Big Planet 2, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hard Corp: Uprising, Choplifter HD, Zombie Apocalypse Never Die Alone, and Sideway NY.

That's what I thought. XBL Gold gave free games before this GWG, but so did PS+ before the IGC.

this too.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I literally bought this game in 2009 on Steam for $2.50.

I realize you gotta start somewhere but come on.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know for a fact i heard Halo 3 and Creed 2 for July games.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I know for a fact i heard Halo 3 and Creed 2 for July games.

We'll probably get them both at the end of the month, or something.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

aaaand sony's pitch continues to be more appealing

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet! A game I got for free four years ago and haven't played since I finished it in 2010. Way to go Microsoft!

Seriously though, you've gotta start somewhere, it's a really solid game. If more people get to play it now than before this offer, that's a plus. I'm pretty stoked they have moved forward with this as fast as they have.

Now all they need to do is make sure they are providing PS+ levels of quality games instead of Gamefly "Unlimited PC Play" quality. 18 Wheels of Steel. . . . . . . Nice one.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya I am 100% sure at E3 they said games for July where Creed 2 and Halo 3.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Ya I am 100% sure at E3 they said games for July where Creed 2 and Halo 3.

I'll need a quote or something, because I don't remember that at all.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@mooseymcman: Basically where I'm at. I have both a 360 and PS3 and overall I've more or less spent equal time with both and enjoyed both. But god damn if Microsoft isn't just really un-appealing to me lately I let my gold expire for the first time since I got it in the Xbox OG days.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, I'll be over here playing XCOM and Saints Row the Third with my PS+ account.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man : seems one game is getting cut for this month at least, http://majornelson.com/2013/06/30/games-with-gold-for-july-1-defense-grid-the-awakening/

might see assassins creed or halo on the 16th. but not both this month. hell, it doesn't seem like it will be this month at all.

but you guys are right, they did say they were gonna start off this initiative in full with AC2 and Halo 3, even the retarded MS support thought so

https://twitter.com/xboxkid510/status/351525397868986368/photo/1

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/10/4414980/xbox-live-gold-two-free-games-assassins-creed-2-halo-3

but then according to major nelson it was "mentioned" not officially confirmed that those 2 games are for july.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/351472618001547265

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scraps from the table.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By maskedarcstrike

Reaction GIF: disappointed, sad, John Bradley, Game of Thrones
mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reminds me of the time MS sent me a whopping 50 points(25 cents) as a birthday present. They are the greediest of cunts.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh wow. Well, so much for that. ACII and Halo 3 are probably the biggest games they've got during the 4 month run.

not to start more conspiracy talk.

but the thing thats damming about it as Wario64 brings up the good point, why didnt MS address these inaccuracies to the press?

because ultimately it is true, those 2 games were never confirmed for this month.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/351472618001547265 (check the comments section of that tweet)

Loading Video...

truly astounding.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@mrfluke said:

but the thing thats damming about it as Wario64 brings up the good point, why didnt MS address these inaccuracies to the press?

because ultimately it is true, those 2 games were never confirmed for this month.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/351472618001547265 (check the comments section of that tweet)

Loading Video...

truly astounding.

And to kick off that program, I'd like to share with you just two of the titles that have absolutely fuck-all to do with kicking off that program...

CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@voxatron: What are you talking about? Sony themselves mentioned the free games as a feature of PS+ since the service was announced(They did it at their E3 conference for christ's sake.). The 2012 change wasn't an "official launch" it was just a change in the amount of games they offered, when that initiative actually became something worthwhile. Just because they decided to call it the "Instant Game Collection" that doesn't make it a different feature, it was just Sony trying to give new life to a --at that point-- forgettable feature in PS+.

Microsoft has never promised a consistent output of free games with a gold subscription (until now), so of course the free games they have given out in the past don't count.

I don't know why I'm still arguing about this. Maybe I just like arguing, but at some point this whole thing is just semantics.

Edit: Also, the notifications feature is all kinds of broken, right? I'm not getting any notifications.