• 125 results
#101 Posted by huntad (1955 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji: This isn't the same Kinect.

Either way, we will see. I'm not going to condemn a system I haven't even seen in action.

If you want to keep hating a system you've never seen then go ahead though. We are all aware from your thousands of revolutionary Neogaf copy paste threads how you feel about the XBO.

I understand where you're coming from, and I'm definitely going to see what the Xbox One can do but come on, dude ... motion controls? I don't care how great the Kinect 2.0 is. Motion controls do not appeal to me at all - even in theory in the best scenarios. I know you're just trying to look on the bright side, but if MS tries to appeal to me this way I'm going to laugh.

For the record, I found motion controls unappealing (compared to an actual controller) every single time I used them on the Wii, PS3, and 360.

#102 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

Games arent really cheaper on Steam. New releases still come out at $50 and EA has moved away from Steam to sell their games on Origin for $60.

I think people are confused about Steam and its price models. It has a lot of cheaper games that people wouldnt pay $50 for anyways and without a retail channel to worry about can be cheaper. Or they have lots of sales.

I will admit that games get cheaper a lot quicker on Steam. However I dont know where that comes from. Video games have about a $5 mark up (at least console games do) so I dont know what Steams markup is or if they simply have a percentage deal. They wont tell us. So until we are told what the model is we cant expect other people to match that model.

And as a fanboy, Sony has a lot of sales now on PSN.

#103 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

That OP sounded like some b\tard playing make believe.

#104 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

If all that is true, then MS messed up by not stating every games for the XB1 is going to be 30 bucks new.

#105 Posted by Dezztroy (821 posts) -

@dezztroy: GB is better than 4chan. (Have you ever been on 4chan?)

I have. I disagree with your statement.

#106 Edited by EXTomar (4841 posts) -

I'm not sure what @shakezula84 is talking about. Looking at the "new release" list on "front page" Steam:

- Unepic: $7.99

- Planetary Annihilation: $89.99

- Akaneiro Demon Hunters: $9.99

- A bunch of MB games for $9.99

- Penny Arcade's On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness 4: $4.99

- Marvel Heroes: Free to play

- Gunpoint: $9.99

And on and on and on. Except for Planetary Annihilation which is an odd case, which of these new releases came out at $50? Now if you meant a game like Remember Me that did come out at $50/$49.99 but that is ignoring almost a hundred games released in the last month. Hell the fact Planetary Annihilation can release at $90 is a benefit instead of carving it up into $60 + DLC.

#107 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3903 posts) -

@staticfalconar: Agreed and that is all part of their biggest problem this whole time which has been messaging. They went from saying "we don't know" to "this is how it is, this is what we're taking" and very little mention of what gamers get in return.

The upside though is they can change some of this stuff, I would imagine most of it is switches on their end they can flip to make that check in time way longer. Also they haven't talked pricing of games, if they come out and say digital stuff is going to be $10 to $15 cheaper then retail, that's super attractive. Whether they will or not is something else but they must know they're behind in perception right now and they have the time to change things.

#108 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I would love games to be 39.99

#109 Posted by huser (1087 posts) -

Steam's DRM isn't every 24 hours. For some games, you can be offline indefinitely after installing and running it online once.

This argument is like the internet version of eyeball licking. You all should know better.

Yeah I love the attempt to paint Steam as draconian, needing to check in EVERY TIME you start a game rather than the benevolent Xbone who is nice enough to do it at night.

#110 Edited by Veektarius (4920 posts) -

Well after reading through this thread, I can agree with him about one thing. People on the internet are stupid.

#111 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2498 posts) -

Tired of hearing the problem is the message. The message is only the problem for people willing to put up with all the shady shit MS is actually doing with the XBO.

#112 Posted by theveej (839 posts) -

I get the gist of what this guy is trying to say and listening to some of what developers and engineers are saying about Xbox One I get what they are trying to go for.

My problem isn't even DRM and shit like that (in the long run everythign will go to the steam model and I'm not planning to get many games on disc next gen), its the fact that I don't know how good the kinect is and how well games will perform on Xbox One (will the TV and mulitasking stuff hinder actual games?). Those questions will not be answered till the console actually comes out. In the long run I can see the Xbox One being sick, if it proves that the cloud really improves mulitplayer servers and digital prices are low and kinect/tv stuff actually works then I'm all in. But there is way too many unkowns at this point to say one way or another.

My only question about PS4 is how well PSN will work, or if it will still be inferior to Xbox Live (not in what it offers, as it offers a better values as of now, but the actual matchmaking / party system / download speed / UI aspects etc.). To be fair the worse case scenario for Sony is way less disastrous than the worse case scenario for Xbox One.

#113 Edited by padrino (104 posts) -

The linked post is actually very good. It makes a big point of stating that we now complain about Gamestop but we also complain when offered a way out. Personally, I am ready to install a game and forget the disc, or better yet just download it but there are a lot of people who just refuse to see the positive side of digital distribution and MS is trying desperately to come up with a transition plan but their PR is just not good at all.

#114 Posted by freakin9 (1151 posts) -

That all started off well enough, then went off the rails. That guy made more of a point why people should steer clear of Xbox One than anything else. MS probably hasn't said all that because it just adds mines to the minefield.

#115 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I get sick of trying to explain how their policies are dumb, but here it goes again (I keep getting it down in length, so that's a good thing for repeated use).

Digital games are the future, there's no doubt about that, but they have to PROVE to us that it's better. Giving the handy cap to digital games by crippling physical media is not the way to go, it'll just makes the consumer bitter.

My perspective: Leave physical media alone (for now) while continuing to improve upon digital games; digital release same day as physical one, pre-installs/midnight unlock, cheaper prices. When they prove digital is better, the market will shift and no one will give a fuck when they do away with disc drives, because no one will be using them as much as they are now.

Yes, this is exactly what they should be doing, but that's just too consumer-friendly for MS. They simply don't seem to understand the concept of winning hearts and minds by treating customers right. You can see it in so many areas of their business, from ludicrously overpriced proprietary hard drives, to completely separate, external video services being locked behind a pay wall, to ads ads ads filling every inch of their UI, to stupid little shit, like having to buy a separate fucking adapter just to get RCA audio out on the 360! They kowtow to publishers, advertising partners, and share holders above the consumer in EVERY SINGLE AREA of their business.

#116 Posted by Halfdeaf (71 posts) -

I know what, I'm a Sony guy. I've been a Sony guy forever and I'm going to be a Sony guy next gen. I bought a PS3 at launch and locked myself into the ecosystem and for the first half of the generation I was an unhappy Sony guy. I was ready for Microsoft to sell me on the Xbone. I liked the PS4 strategy from the beginning but I was willing to try something different.

I'm almost entirely a digital consumer and I believe that Microsoft is genuine in their intent on pushing digital at all costs and that alone should be enough for me to make the switch but the message Microsoft is pushing is not one of moving the masses into the future. It's one of trying to force the change before the market is fully ready and doing it on their terms instead of appealing to customers with the benefit of a digital future.

I believe that this hypothetical MS employee might genuine in his attempt of explaining the intent of MS, but the message from every press conference, interview and article coming from MS is one of confusion and half-baked strategy. It might very well be that MS is up to something shady and are working cahoots with the NSA to spy on you while violating your property rights but I agree with the general direction they are going (excluding the Kinect stuff, I just don't see the point). The thing is that it can't be forced. Customers have to be enticed into going all digital not told that this is the future wether you like it or not.

#117 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -
futuristic fingering in the Cloud™

Microsoft is some sort of collective corporate super fan of Tom Cruise. It all makes sense to me now. Oh my gods Minority Report! Minority Report level gestures! Gestures, guys! The future!

#118 Edited by sdharrison (476 posts) -

@herbiebug said:
futuristic fingering in the Cloud™

Microsoft is some sort of collective corporate super fan of Tom Cruise. It all makes sense to me now. Oh my gods Minority Report! Minority Report level gestures! Gestures, guys! The future!

This is a huge problem. I'm sure most of us have read the articles about how the nonsense "futurism" from minority report is giving us a decade of terrible interfaces. When the engineer said that "MINORITY REPORT LEVEL" gestures were somehow a selling point... Ugly. Stupid.

It also reminds me of the initial question from the reveal: "IS pressing the input button that big of a hassle in my life?"

I remember at the time imagining an infomercial with the black and white shot of a person trying to press the input button on a remote and somehow throwing their back out in the process. Add in a giant X over it for effect and cut to Kinect voice commands saving the day. It just seems... Stupid. And pointless.

None of the selling points this guy is talking about have been SHOWN effectively. The cloud? Whatever. Show don't tell. Kinect enhancing my life? It might have sold well, but its general narrative is that it barely functions for gaming.

They just haven't come out and made a positive case for giving them 500+ dollars to experience the platform. It has all been bad news from the start.

#119 Posted by Sanj (2453 posts) -

Even if it is true, I shouldn't have to read a f**king pastebin from an anonymous "microsoft engineer" to understand what MS are trying to do with the Xbox One. They need to get their shit together.

#120 Posted by BoOzak (966 posts) -

@arkasai said:

Don't even bother reading that, it's very obvious this person does not work for Microsoft and sounds about as much like an engineer as a teenager on 4chan repeating everything Microsoft has said so far. The blathering about the cloud is literally some of the stupidest writing I've ever seen.

The cloud capabilities is the shit they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute shit and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn't need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That's huge.

Yeah, couldnt help but laugh at that. If people at Microsoft are this inarticulate it's hard to take anything they say seriously.

#121 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

After what I've heard about the Xbox One by MS Employees, I'm convinced it's a real MS Engineer....basically an overpaid idiot.

#122 Edited by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

@extomar said:

I'm not sure what @shakezula84 is talking about. Looking at the "new release" list on "front page" Steam:

- Unepic: $7.99

- Planetary Annihilation: $89.99

- Akaneiro Demon Hunters: $9.99

- A bunch of MB games for $9.99

- Penny Arcade's On the Rain-slick Precipice of Darkness 4: $4.99

- Marvel Heroes: Free to play

- Gunpoint: $9.99

And on and on and on. Except for Planetary Annihilation which is an odd case, which of these new releases came out at $50? Now if you meant a game like Remember Me that did come out at $50/$49.99 but that is ignoring almost a hundred games released in the last month. Hell the fact Planetary Annihilation can release at $90 is a benefit instead of carving it up into $60 + DLC.

Well I usually wait for the holidays & they give out ridiculous deals. However, if EA is moving away from Steam, then I'm not going to bother going to EA & paying more. I'll just avoid their games. The whole move away from the people who brought the best idea to the table is not much different from what happened with Napster and Netflix. Napster morphed into iTunes & Netflix morphed into a bunch of different unconsolidated movie publishers holding their own sites & paywalls to view their (mostly) dumb content.

#123 Posted by seismicshock (54 posts) -

That's a lot of words to say "It's like Steam"

#124 Posted by NoisyToster (18 posts) -

All you had to do was listen.

#125 Edited by MAGZine (438 posts) -

@9999dmg said:

You would think an engineer Microsoft would be able to talk about this a bit more elegantly. This guy sounds like a marketing bro, not an engineer.

wouldn't the engineer speak less elegantly than a marketing bro, since elegance is what marketing is?

#126 Posted by xyzygy (10029 posts) -

Hm. I really like his analogy of the HDTV and 360, and how new tech needs new requirements. When I think back to when I first got a 360, it really sucked at first because I couldn't read anything and everything looked like muddy shit. Then I upgraded to a HDTV.

I don't know it sounds pretty legit to me.

#127 Posted by Addfwyn (1934 posts) -

@extomar: Not sure those games you picked are really a fair analogy. There's F2P games and $10 indy stuff on the consoles too. But big AAA games that launch on steam are gonna cost the same as at your local store.