• 79 results
#1 Edited by boolean (33 posts) -

So over on reddit, there seems to be a rather large number of people pissed off at Microsoft reversing the online requirement. The removal of the DRM (which didn't bother them) now means some of the features people were buying it for have been canned, such as no physical disks and being able to play your games from any console (and library sharing in general).

People are posting things like "Thanks a lot you jerks, you just ruined the console I was looking forward to" and 'I'm not even mad at MS, I'm mad at the /r/gaming".

It seems to be having an odd effect - those who were angry at Microsoft are still firmly saying they are getting a PS4, but now all the people who WERE getting an Xbox One are now also pissed off at Microsoft. Could this move end up biting them in the ass?

Is there anyone around here who was planning on getting an Xbox One that is disappointed by the policy updates? Would you have preferred Microsoft to just stick to their guns rather than just creating a second PS4?

#2 Edited by bassman2112 (842 posts) -

I respect them for having changed the policies, but I think I would have trusted Microsoft more if they had stuck to their guns. I've used this analogy already; but I view them as a cheating girlfriend/boyfriend - sure, they say things are going to be great now; but there was still that initial motive and action taken. I'm not going to pick up an Xbox One, at least not until I wait and see what they end up doing in the first few years.

#4 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

There were two types of people, those who hated the idea and those who weren't really bothered. Either way it was a negative for them, they made the right decision to back peddle, the black cloud has been lifted.

#7 Edited by TheMasterDS (2082 posts) -

I think that the features that were pulled were very important to our digital future, however I do not blame them as they really had no other choice after E3. We'll all just have to buy from the Marketplace from now on to get those perks.

#8 Edited by Nitrocore (369 posts) -

Did I delete those duplicates or did a mod? The site was acting strange on me, kept getting the "Woops" message, o well it's sorted now.

#9 Posted by Immortal_Guy (123 posts) -

I don't really see how adding in the ability to re-sell and share physical games automatically removes the potential for re-selling and sharing digital games. Unless they're just scrapping the whole infrastructure, but seeing as everyone seems to think we'll be all digital this time next week or so, that seems a wierd move.

#10 Posted by Istealdreams (153 posts) -

I canceled my Amazon day 1 pre-order. I was looking forward to the game sharing aspect of it(if it played out like they said it would) as well as the cloud stuff. Now they've gutted the sharing and obviously the "cloud" stuff isn't a big deal since developers can no longer rely on it when making games.

#11 Edited by awesomeusername (4207 posts) -

Reddit

#12 Edited by TheHBK (5505 posts) -

People are stupid and would decide not to buy because of this or get even more angry. They admitted people couldn't see the benefits and changed policy because that is what people want apparently. And people are still on their balls. Yet it takes Sony 6 year to admit they fucked up with how the PS3 was made and how crappy updates and downloads are on PSN and everyone is ready to suck them off. Come on interent, come on.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (15007 posts) -

I'm still PS4 simply because of well a lot of reasons but mostly because I don't want to be forced to use Kinect and also because I simply don't like them locking everything behind a gold paywall.

#14 Edited by Skooky (477 posts) -

I wasn't going to buy One anyway because I don't give a fuck about Xbox exclusives.

But Microsoft is fucking up super bad. I heard them tell me that their always online policy had some benefits. I guess we won't know what they are for like six years though.

Their use of the words "The Cloud" fucked them over big time. Because "The Cloud" doesn't mean shit to anybody.

#15 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I'm still not happy about paying £400 for the privilege of having Kinect filming me masturbating. Really, Microsoft should be paying *me* for that.

#16 Posted by mano521 (1227 posts) -

im still gonna get it. but i was interested in how they would incorporate the drm in some exclusive games for the xbox. oh well. im sure some devs could possibly still make a game requiring constant online functionality

#17 Edited by BigJeffrey (5069 posts) -

DOES IT STILL PLAY GAMES? THEN I AM STILL BUYING IT

#18 Posted by Bulby33 (599 posts) -

People are going to mad no matter what.

#19 Edited by DarthOrange (3866 posts) -

I forget who tweeted this but "they went from being evil pricks to being evil cowards."

This news neither angers me nor makes me happy; it makes me interested.

#20 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5792 posts) -

My stance of getting both consoles still stands. I will still get a ps4 first and an Xbone later on. I'm more interested in the launch games on Ps4 and it's one hundred dollars cheaper. It's more convenient to me as a consumer.

#21 Edited by Demoskinos (15007 posts) -

@boolean: How are people pissed at no discs? They are still going to have digital versions. Thats a fucking non-issue.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

I'm still PS4 simply because of well a lot of reasons but mostly because I don't want to be forced to use Kinect and also because I simply don't like them locking everything behind a gold paywall.

This mirrors my take.

#23 Posted by oldenglishC (970 posts) -

You could have a puppy that shits caramel sundaes and the internet would still find a reason to be angry. This announcement does put me in a which console day one vs. first price drop pickle. Guess I need to wait for more game announcements.

#24 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

When did we start taking Reddit seriously?

#25 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

You could have a puppy that shits caramel sundaes and the internet would still find a reason to be angry. This announcement does put me in a which console day one vs. first price drop pickle. Guess I need to wait for more game announcements.

Well, to be fair, if a puppy began shitting caramel sundaes, I imagine that people would be justified in taking umbrage with the puppy's owner. Because what the fuck, man.

#26 Posted by Whitestripes09 (416 posts) -

Still doesn't really matter to me. I feel like the PS4 just offers a better deal with the product itself, has exclusives that are more enjoyable than what Microsoft offers, and their online component seems like something I wouldn't mind paying for.

#27 Posted by Tarsier (1069 posts) -

so what all did they change. is it still a NWO spying device reporting the slave activity to the tower of evil every 24 hours?

#28 Edited by BRich (437 posts) -

@nitrocore said:

There were two types of people, those who hated the idea and those who weren't really bothered. Either way it was a negative for them, they made the right decision to back peddle, the black cloud has been lifted.

There was a third type. Those buying for the first game DRM system to implement a cool sharing feature and the ditching of the "disc version" vs. "digital version" distinction that exists today.

I firmly believe that there would have been sales similar to Steam if the policies were left as is. Now the best deals will be for disc based version of games, just as has been the case for the last 6 years. I was so looking forward to finding the best deals (retail or digital) having my entire library consolidated and available, and then sharing this library with 10 of my friends.

My pre-order is on the fence, like seriously what does either console have over the other outside of stupid kinect now?

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@tarsier said:

so what all did they change. is it still a NWO spying device reporting the slave activity to the tower of evil every 24 hours?

• The always online requirement no longer exists.
  • Disc-based games can now be freely traded/sold/whatever, just like 360 games, but must be in the console in order to play (no installing and tossing).
  • Because of the above, the "family sharing" program no longer exists.
#30 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6997 posts) -

#31 Edited by Tarsier (1069 posts) -
@hailinel said:

@tarsier said:

• Disc-based games can now be freely traded/sold/whatever, just like 360 games, but must be in the console in order to play (no installing and tossing).

neat, how about the kinect microphone / camera. does it require to be plugged in for the device to be used still? this is important to me because i no longer trust microsoft with this kind of technology.

#32 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@tarsier said:
@hailinel said:

@tarsier said:

neat, how about the kinect microphone / camera. does it require to be plugged in for the device to be used still? this is important to me because i no longer trust microsoft with this kind of technology.

Alll Kinect-based requirements are still as they were.

#33 Posted by Tarsier (1069 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@tarsier said:
@hailinel said:

@tarsier said:

Alll Kinect-based requirements are still as they were.

i see. great. ps4 it is :>

#34 Posted by mrfluke (5265 posts) -

#35 Posted by oldenglishC (970 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@oldenglishc said:

Well, to be fair, if a puppy began shitting caramel sundaes, I imagine that people would be justified in taking umbrage with the puppy's owner. Because what the fuck, man.

A guinea pig that cries root beer tears?

#36 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

"If you play games from a shared library you will have to always be connected." Would have been easy, no? So I am kind of curious why they would say they had to cut this feature.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@oldenglishc said:

A guinea pig that cries root beer tears?

While still of questionable morals, the backlash would not be nearly as severe.

#38 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

It's cool to hate on MS anyway so change or no change those people would still be saying shit about MS.

#39 Posted by Subjugation (4724 posts) -

@irvandus said:

When did we start taking Reddit seriously?

Seriously. Also, screw you (not the person I'm quoting) if you piss and moan about the DRM and then piss and moan that they removed the DRM. That's called hating something just for the sake of hating something. Grow up.

#40 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

This is the most retarded thing I've ever seen in my life. Can this even be real? I'm so confused by the logic behind this outrage

#41 Posted by Vonocourt (2139 posts) -

I canceled my Amazon day 1 pre-order. I was looking forward to the game sharing aspect of it(if it played out like they said it would) as well as the cloud stuff. Now they've gutted the sharing and obviously the "cloud" stuff isn't a big deal since developers can no longer rely on it when making games.

The "cloud" was separate from the 24 hours check-in, developers never could have relied on it like you think. Maybe if at one point the system was actually always online, but we'll never know.

#42 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1856 posts) -

I was one of those people that did not really care about the drm policies they had in place, but I am kind of disappointed that they are gone because it means that there is nothing potentially new being done. We have new systems but they will continue to operate the same as they always have . Oh well.

#43 Posted by Istealdreams (153 posts) -

The difference now though is, is that developers cannot design their games knowing that each system will be online at some point like they were able to before.

#44 Posted by m1k3 (1332 posts) -

First i'll say that its a win for gamers that MS removed restriction. But i already wasn't planning on buying a XONE since i find that i dont really need it. I have a WiiU for the Nintendo games, I'm getting a PS4 for first party and third party games, and i have a more than capable PC to play anything that would look better on PC. I dont feel i would be missing out on anything drastic by not getting a XONE.

#45 Posted by Daneian (1245 posts) -

@brich said:

I firmly believe that there would have been sales similar to Steam if the policies were left as is. Now the best deals will be for disc based version of games, just as has been the case for the last 6 years. I was so looking forward to finding the best deals (retail or digital) having my entire library consolidated and available, and then sharing this library with 10 of my friends.

Why can't we still get great deals on digital goods? If publishers had the flexibility to set their own prices to compete with the used game market, wouldn't they ultimately win? How does not requiring an internet connection or 24 hour authentication change that in any way?

#46 Posted by Hunter5024 (5805 posts) -

I don't think that they had announced anything that made up for the negative things they were doing, however maybe there was potential for cool systems within the framework they'd built. I'm annoyed at the loss of this potential, but it's hard not to be happy for the consumers winning this round.

#47 Posted by BRich (437 posts) -

@daneian: I hope you are right. My thought is retailers will almost always undercut digital pricing as is the case with Xbox and PSN now. I will now have to weigh the value of having a disc to keep track of versus the convenience of a consolidated digital library on every purchase. Much simpler to just buy the cheaper version and install it.

Not even mentioning the complete loss of sharing.. By far the coolest feature of the next generation.

#48 Posted by bobafettjm (1518 posts) -

Why can't developers still make games that require online to play? I am pretty sure there are some games on current systems that are online only. Also it seems like the features they are cutting could still be there, just for digital games instead of disc based ones.

#49 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

This mirrors my take.

Mine as well. It's still a weaker console at a much higher price with worse features kept behind a more expensive paywall. This hilarious, and frankly desperate-sounding, about-face does nothing to dissuade me from buying a PS4.

#50 Posted by brownsfantb (396 posts) -

I still have both of my pre-orders with Amazon but I still might cancel the Xbone. Not because of these policies; they never really bothered me. I'm just not sure if I'll have the money for both at launch.