#1 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

One of the biggest problems with the internet is that everyone is a big, stupid, insane race to be clever. As soon as the Xbox One was released, people were chomping at the bit to try to be clever about the title and come up with something dumb to call it. Now it seems like tons of people are writing "Xbone".

The problem is, it's not funny. If Microsoft had made some oversight in writing the name on the box, or something, and it LOOKED like it said Xbone, it would be hilarious if everyone jumped on it and started capitalizing on Microsoft's mistake. But it's not. It's not capitalizing on anything. It's not witty. It's not clever. It's trying way to hard.

And even if it WAS funny, once, it's certainly not funny in perpetuity. It's also not shorter than calling it the One, the Xbox, or the XBO.

No, I'm not the "funny police", but as someone who finds this and many other attempts by the internet to be clever, horribly annoying, I hope we might be able to muster a little bit of dignity for the industry.

#2 Edited by living4theday258 (677 posts) -

its a stupid name....... if Microsoft doesn't want it to be made fun of then they should rename it.

and I refuse to call it "The One." and "the xbox" could be refering to any of the xboxes(original, 360, 360 slim, or the xbone)

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -
Why not, ye blasted scurvydog?

#4 Posted by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

its a stupid name....... if Microsoft doesn't want it to be made fun of then they should rename it.

and I refuse to call it "The One"

I agree. I won't be calling it the one. I will probably just call it "The new xbox" until the 360 is out of the picture and then just "the xbox".

#5 Edited by TooWalrus (12977 posts) -

Xbone Can be a legitimate acronym (?) and used in a non-ironic way and not bother me.

#6 Edited by JazGalaxy (1577 posts) -

Xbone Can be a legitimate acronym (?) and used in a non-ironic way and not bother me.

I could buy that if anybody ever called the Xbox, "XB". I've never seen that, to my recollection. People just put XB so they could juxtapose it with "one" and spell out "Xbone".I could never see that as legitimate. Especially since it's shorter to put XBO.

#7 Posted by Jimbo (9710 posts) -

That's ok, a lot of people find attempts to seem 'above it all' to be equally annoying.

You're on a video game forum posting under the pseudonym 'JazGalaxy': you aren't above anything.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -

No. XBONE is the One True Path.

#9 Edited by Gruebacca (406 posts) -
#10 Posted by depecheload (493 posts) -

No.

Sorry.

#11 Posted by Icemo (625 posts) -

Xbone or XBO all the way. It's microsoft's fault for poor naming policy.

#12 Posted by spraynardtatum (2125 posts) -

I'm going to call it the Xbone because then people that buy it are called Xboners.

#13 Edited by RVonE (4480 posts) -

XBONE or XONE. Either is 'fine' with me.

#14 Posted by tourgen (4238 posts) -

sorry, XBone is just too easy to say, it's not ambiguous (like the actual name is), and it's fun.

#15 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2494 posts) -

@icemo said:

Xbone or XBO all the way. It's microsoft's fault for poor naming policy.

My thoughts exactly. Hear hear.

#16 Edited by ma_rc_01 (354 posts) -

Well I've got an Xboner for the Xbone

#17 Edited by believer258 (11047 posts) -

I just think that Xbone is actually the least terrible of them and it doesn't really bring to mind the term "Xboner" unless someone else brings it up. If that ends up being the acronym, I imagine it'll become something like spotted dick - the only people who will laugh at it are those too immature to come up with anything worth talking about anyway.

Besides, X1 reminds me of the X-Men movie, and while good I don't want to watch that movie a billionth time.

The One reminds me of a different movie, or rather a few different movies (The Matrix, The One, Star Wars, any "chosen one" story) and it sound way too pretentious. Admittedly, that may make it the most fitting of them, but I still don't like it.

XBO reminds me of either body odor or Barack Obama, neither of which I want near my games consoles.

Finally, Xbone means I get to imagine this genius invention:

Why not, ye blasted scurvydog?

#18 Posted by Darji (5295 posts) -

I like Xbone...

#19 Edited by Chibithor (574 posts) -

The One, Xbox and XBO aren't funny either, so why are they okay but not Xbone? Xbone is the true way.

#20 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Makes sense to me: they been XBonning costumers with that live subscription for so long.

#21 Posted by Video_Game_King (34615 posts) -

The One reminds me of a different movie, or rather a few different movies (The Matrix, The One, Star Wars, any "chosen one" story) and it sound way too pretentious. Admittedly, that may make it the most fitting of them, but I still don't like it.

It reminds me of a bit from Billy and Mandy that I can't find on YouTube and certainly can't find on Cartoon Network (why do TV networks have such shitty video sections on their websites?).

What? You summoned me via the Kinect and Crossbones.

#22 Posted by theodacourt (510 posts) -

The Xbone name has become so ubiquitous that I don't think of people boning when I hear the word. It's just a word. When I hear the word bone, I tend to think of actual bones ahead of sex anyway. If the term makes you think of sex every time and that makes you uncomfortable, then that's your problem.

#23 Posted by Brendan (7518 posts) -

Eh, it seems like it's trying to hard. It's not something that naturally comes out of you the first time, you have to think it up and consciously use it. At least with the One or the Xbox their natural ways to describe it, that didn't require actively deciding on something that sounded funny.

To be clear, I don't really care what people call it, but I'm not going to expend effort to call it something that requires any decision making. I'm sure it comes naturally to people now, but remembering the glee on Twitter in desperately trying to consciously make it a thing as fast as possible was kinda lame.

#24 Posted by WasabiCurry (415 posts) -

I am not going to call it "the One."

Only Keanu Reeves can be "the One."

#25 Edited by Rebel_Scum (563 posts) -

@jazgalaxy: It was never laugh out loud funny, but the name suits and its gonna stick buddy. #dealwithit

#26 Posted by oraknabo (1426 posts) -

There is no better name for this console than XBONE. Unless you can improve on it, leave it be.

#27 Posted by YOU_DIED (695 posts) -

Wow, calm down. Never seen someone so bent out of shape over nothing. Do you have emotional stock in MS' success?

#28 Posted by Bollard (5026 posts) -

XBone is dumb as fuck. I prefer X1.

#29 Posted by Scrawnto (2413 posts) -

I actually dig X-bone, not as a ha-ha-funny joke, but just as a nickname for the new Xbox. Reminds me of the PS Triple.

"XBO" just sounds like it's short for Executive Body Odor, which is just dumb. "X-bone" sounds like a goofy, college-buddy nickname.

#30 Posted by LassieME (224 posts) -

Xbone. I'm sticking with it to the end.

#31 Edited by Jay_Ray (1009 posts) -

Xbone works because of only 2 syllables and can't be confused. Xbox One has 3 syllables, the One is stupid and pretentious, the Xbox will cause confusion with the brand and the system, X1 is too vague and there are vehicles named this, and Xbone is the type of childish humor we love to mock yet oddly embrace.

#32 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

If you believe that one of the biggest problems with the Internet is that some call things funny names, you have a different Internet in your world than I have in mind.

#33 Posted by 49th (2546 posts) -

Nope sorry, they chose a dumb name so of course the internet will do better (worse?) with an even dumber name.

#34 Edited by Neo (6 posts) -

I'm really liking "Xbone". Definitely gonna keep using that name FOREVER.

#35 Posted by Taku128 (727 posts) -

Xbone is a joke just like the system itself, so I think it's appropriate.

#36 Edited by Reisz (1359 posts) -

Fuck everybody, I'm calling it Onebox.

#37 Posted by CptBedlam (4439 posts) -

I will call it Xbone. Deal with it. And I'm not pretending that it's clever or anything. It just rolls off the tongue much better than any other abbreviation.

#38 Posted by yinstarrunner (1171 posts) -

If Microsoft didn't want people to make a stupid acronym for their system's name, then they probably shouldn't have called it the "Xbox One".

Does ANYBODY think that's a good name?

#39 Posted by EXTomar (4125 posts) -

Also, it should be noted that the original poster called it "Xbone" first in this thread.

#40 Edited by Skyfire543 (585 posts) -

I like XONE. I'm gonna stick with that.

Edit: I'm pronouncing that as ZONE not X1

#41 Posted by Dvsshark (25 posts) -

@yinstarrunner: Yes Jeff, because he thinks it incorporates everything it is supposed to represent.

#42 Posted by coakroach (2478 posts) -

XBONE is fucking great, lighten up.

#43 Posted by ThePickle (4149 posts) -

How about Microsoft doesn't name their system something totally moronic?

#44 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -

Xbox One -> XBone

Makes perfect sense, so just sit back and enjoy the Xbone ride

#45 Edited by Wacomole (811 posts) -

Calm down, boss.

@jazgalaxy said:

@toowalrus said:

I could buy that if anybody ever called the Xbox, "XB". I've never seen that, to my recollection. People just put XB so they could juxtapose it with "one" and spell out "Xbone".I could never see that as legitimate. Especially since it's shorter to put XBO.

Bu...bu..but you yourself have now twice suggested the term "XBO" which has you abbreviating the Xbox to XB..

...and may I refer you to the way that many people/places (including this one) abbreviate "Xbox Live Arcade" to "XBLA" and "Xbox Live Marketplace" to "XBLM"

Just chill, call it what you prefer and wait for the consensus to work its way out as it always does.

#46 Posted by ElixirBronze (356 posts) -

I don't see the problem with saying "Xbox One" it has as many syllables as "360" or "PS4"... I thought people were over the name by now.

#47 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1423 posts) -

@rvone said:

I'm not sure why more people don't immediately go to the X1 pronunciation, it feels so snappy and distinct compared to all the other nicknames.

#48 Edited by RVonE (4480 posts) -

@rvone said:

I'm not sure why more people don't immediately go to the X1 pronunciation, it feels so snappy and distinct compared to all the other nicknames.

Because X1 is the name of my ROCKET SHIP!

#49 Posted by Flappy (2034 posts) -

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd take Xbone over just about everything else. X1 ain't dumb enough.

#50 Posted by JJWeatherman (14485 posts) -

And even if it WAS funny, once, it's certainly not funny in perpetuity.

Truth, which is why it will die down eventually. But you know how the internet is.