Canadian tempted by Xbox One and Sunset Overdrive

Avatar image for theegravedigger
TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

So, I'm in Canada, and the Canadian dollar is weak, so I'm not sure if the Xbox One will drop like the american one will, since when you do the conversion, it's already lower.

I'm tempted to buy the Sunset Overdrive bundle, and I'm looking for some pros and cons. Aside from that kinetic game that's getting no support, from that crazy man, what else is there worth getting? I've got a decent gamer PC, and I'm not really an FPS fan.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I am waiting for the XB One to lower in price in Canada (which is not likely anytime soon). Also, going to wait for a few more big games to hit and some of today's titles to get a little cheaper.

Forza Horizon 2 looks great. Sunset Overdrive looks great as you know. And... for me, that's just about it. There really are not a lot of bigger exclusives to be had (Ryse & Dead Rising 3 are both now on PC), but Microsoft has a really decent lineup in the next 6 months. Halo Master Chief Collection is coming, though your excitement for that depends on whether you are jazzed for re-releases of older games.

Since you're already gaming on PC, I think some of the upcoming stuff will overlap there.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I just got mine today.

Do it. Sunset, D4, Ori and the Blind Forest, and early Tomb Raider 2. Good enough for me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By xyzygy

I really hope they do drop the price up here. I was under the impression that they would, because the **'s beside the official statement seemed to insinuate that it eventually will, though not at the same date as the US one:

"** Regional availability and timing outside the U.S. will vary."

Saying that it WILL vary... kind of makes it seem like it might come but maybe we won't get the same bundles/timing/or amount discounted. The Xbox One is actually pretty cheap up here though - Canada is the cheapest place in the world to game, did you know? With I think Brazil being the most expensive.

Anyway, I really hope they make a bundle, but I still think we have it really good up here. Microsoft not increasing the price of the X1 while Sony increased the PS4 really made me like MS a little more.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheeGravedigger

@xyzygy: I don't see the price drop as likely, because of the weak Canadian dollar creating something of a value loss for Microsoft when they're looking at how much each unit brings in. Maybe I'm wrong and that's not how they decide about price drops, and maybe they'll do the price drop because they're doing it in the states, but if so, I think Bestbuy has price protection on that stuff for 30 days...

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Xbox One is totally not worth buying as of now IMO. There "exclusives" always end up going on PC....... I am a fellow Canadian and it's too step of a price to pay for so little.

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

Do it. Sunset, D4, Ori and the Blind Forest, and early Tomb Raider 2. Good enough for me.

I think you are suffering from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization D4 was "average" at best, Ori is coming to PC and "early" Tomb Raider 2 is coming to everything else.That leaves you with only one competent exclusive which is Sunset Overdrive which might suffer the same fate as Ryse and Dead Rising 3 eventually being ported to PC.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

I think you are suffering from this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization D4 was "average" at best, Ori is coming to PC and "early" Tomb Raider 2 is coming to everything else.That leaves you with only one competent exclusive which is Sunset Overdrive which might suffer the same fate as Ryse and Dead Rising 3 eventually being ported to PC.

No, sorry, this was all predetermined. I liked everything I saw for D4 and some people praised it quite a bit, I don't have a great PC for Ori, and Tomb Raider was my game of the year last year (so I wanna play it asap). Not to mention Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset and Master Chief Collection.

Thank you for your input.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xyzygy

@snakeitachi said:

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

I think you coming in here to essentially tell someone that he made the wrong purchase and that he's only trying to justify it is really fucking weird. He has totally legitimate reasons for wanting an X1.

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duders, I'll be honest, the XBone is worth it just for Sunset Overdrive.

D4 is great, Titanfall is solid if you're looking for a multiplayer shooter that now has a surprisingly competent co-op Horde mode, and the Master Chief collection is a great way to play Halo, if you're into Halo. I am into Halo.

I will also offer the purely subjective opinion that I like the XBone controller more than I like the PS4 controller, and that factored a surprising amount into my decision.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Really its rather simple, if you have a PS4 then it isn't worth really having both right now unless you have a MIGHTY NEED to play the exclusives on both.

If you don't have a nex gen console, want said console and can afford said console then its worth it now I say. The next gen consoles are finally starting to get enough games to warrant the purchase of one.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FajitaBoss
@snakeitachi said:

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

Buy a video game consoles if you want to buy one, because lets face it: Video Game consoles are pretty cool, Rationally there is always a better use for your time and money, but fuck that, I love my consoles!

Also Sunset Overdrive, personal GOTY so far. That game is joyful and fun! a breath of fresh air.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By doctordonkey

Right now I am deciding between buying the sunset overdrive bundle(I already have a PS4), waiting for the Intel Broadwell processors to come out and grabbing that and a new motherboard (I have an i7 920), or putting my wallet back into my pocket.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By csl316

@snakeitachi said:

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

Buy a video game consoles if you want to buy one, because lets face it: Video Game consoles are pretty cool, Rationally there is always a better use for your time and money, but fuck that, I love my consoles!

Also Sunset Overdrive, personal GOTY so far. That game is joyful and fun! a breath of fresh air.

No there isn't!!!!

But yes, Sunset Overdrive is fun and I absolutely love the Xbox so far. Got all the consoles and I'm once again a modern up-to-date cool guy. Everything just feels complete on the game side, and I no longer have to be jealous of anything (except Crysis 3 on PC).

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

The only other game I haven't seen mentioned in this thread that is XBox one exclusive is Killer Instinct which is technically free to play as well (although it does what League of Legends does and rolls out different characters unless you buy one you want).

I won't buy an XBox one, though. I'd have to get one for free in order to play any of the exclusives on it. There are a few I'd want to play if I did (KI, D4, and Quantum Break). I have such a massive backlog right now, though, it doesn't really matter.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@csl316 said:

@snakeitachi said:

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

No, sorry, this was all predetermined. I liked everything I saw for D4 and some people praised it quite a bit, I don't have a great PC for Ori, and Tomb Raider was my game of the year last year (so I wanna play it asap). Not to mention Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset and Master Chief Collection.

uhh no you're wrong and your tastes are wrong! Mr. Snaketaichi is right, you're an noob and you have poor tastes and you're wrong for enjoying your xbox. Snake is straight dropping FACTS son, FACTS! You can't argue with FACTS! FUCKING WIKIPEDIA!!!

#praisgaben #masterrace #stopbeingadisillusioneddrone #wakeup

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@snakeitachi said:

@csl316 said:

I just got mine today.

uhh no you're wrong and your tastes are wrong! Mr. Snaketaichi is right, you're an noob and you have poor tastes and you're wrong for enjoying your xbox. Snake is straight dropping FACTS son, FACTS! You can't argue with FACTS! FUCKING WIKIPEDIA!!!

#praisgaben #masterrace #stopbeingadisillusioneddrone #wakeup

i aint no sheeple

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FajitaBoss

@theegravedigger said:

@fajitaboss: & @vincentavatar: Can you get into more of what makes Sunset Overdrive worth it? I'm really on the fence here.

Its the whole package, if you want to read a good review I recommend you Wired's Chris Koheler http://www.wired.com/2014/10/sunset-overdrive-review/

IMO:

1- Traversing around the map take skill and practice, it does have a bit of a learning curve, as for example you don't just snap into rails automatically assassin creed's style, Here you have to time your - X- press to snap, switch direction, switch level and so forth. They find a way to make open word traversing engaging again, and that for me is the best design feat of the game.

2 - World and level design are outstanding, The art in the game has a lot of personality to it while at the same time everything is designed for the gameplay to be fun

3 - Weapons are creative and fun to use

4 - Actually the writing is not bad at all, quite funny IMO.

5 - The story its actually kind of OK, there are a bunch fun characters

6 - Plenty of enemies and a decent variety to them.

7 - 8 People coo op multiplayers is bonkers and a lot of fun

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

My next couple of games I'm getting are: Halo MCC, AC Unity, Far Cry 4, and GTA V XONE. I'm actually still very interested in Sunset Overdrive, and Lords of the Fallen, but I'll just try and get those when I can. As it is, I'm gonna try and get Advanced Warfare for Black Friday, and I'll try and get DA Inquisition as my December game. I bought Walking Dead Season 1, and I'm looking forward to re-buying Wolf Among Us on a console I actually play with instead of PS3. I love that they're putting Limbo on XONE pretty soon, as well as the newly announced Submerged and Whispered World 2 look pretty cool. Grave,Earthlocke,Ghost of A Tale, Cuphead, below, and Massive Chalice. still look really cool.Inside and Ori and the Blind Forest are pretty dope.

Media-Player App gets used most by me, though. I'll usually download YouTube things and throw em on my older HDD, and I have my newer HDD for game installs. Anyway, the next couple of months is gonna be awesome. 'Looking for dead bodies in GTA with my friends, and Halo MCC w/ Rocket Race alone. :D

@xyzygy I have both XONE and PS4, and I definitely use my XONE more. Honestly, PS3 and PS4 I just go about once a month and download the free games, and that's it. I don't really use them too much, but Uncharted I'm still looking forward to, yet Bloodborne not really.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

There are some rumors floating around (such as this thread on neoGAF) that the price cut might be coming to the MS store in Canada. So anyone who is tempted should probably wait until after November 2nd before making any decisions.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some rumors floating around (such as this thread on neoGAF) that the price cut might be coming to the MS store in Canada. So anyone who is tempted should probably wait until after November 2nd before making any decisions.

If this is true I may have to order it form the online store. They have free shipping, too. That X1+Kinect+AC4+AC:U bundle is such a great deal.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: Best Buy has Price Protection, as do most other retailers. We get 30 days of coverage for price drops and discounts. Should apply in this case. Worst case, do a return and then repurchase.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctordonkey: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2kp85r/xbox_one_pricecut_in_canada/ Sounds like it's confirmed.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By whitegreyblack

@doctordonkey: @theegravedigger: Boy, I hope you folks are right about Canada getting the price cut, and best buy follows suit. I want the reward points.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheeGravedigger

@whitegreyblack: I bought one last night, got the 30 day price protection, and $20 off by being unsure about the whole thing to the clerk.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitegreyblack: Best Buy. I just chatted with the clerk, and somehow made a deal. But I'm good at that sort of thing.

TheeGravedigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No price drop yet. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/Xbox-One-Special-Edition-Sunset-Overdrive-Bundle/productID.306306600

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

I think it's also worth noting that it's the weekend - it might be better to keep our eyes open during the week to see if there'll be a price drop.

It'd be really cool if we could use this thread to let people know if we hear about anything.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunset and Halo would be nice to play. As a ps4 owner I wish I had them on my console. I might just wind up buying the sunset bundle

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ripelivejam

just walked by a $350 bundle containing ass creed 4 and unity, thought about possibility of playing FH2, drooled.

goddammit i can't do this right now, i really can't spend that much, especially when i have soooo many games i could be playing.

but i wants it...

e: full disclosure i am not canadian, just picked newest thread about the subject to lament :(

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I just don't see them doing it here. After the conversion, the current $400 CAD Xbox bundles up here are equivalent to $354~ USD, so we practically already have the discount in that sense. If it dropped to $350 I'd absolutely buy it, but considering they're already giving us a break by not raising the price to $450 like Sony did, I don't think they need to, and subsequently they likely won't.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

I rarely comment on the forums, but I would like to chime in that I required damn near the entire Giant Bomb moderation to talk me out of buying the $449 Assassin's Creed Xbox One Bundle with Kinect. I'm secretly a crazy person that makes bad financial decisions.

I'm not kidding, just ask @mento, @rmanthorp, @mb, @mooseymcman, @nuclearwinter and @gamer_152

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@zombiepie: You decided not to get it? Good for you! :D

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Why did people have to talk you out of it? Was it super impulse or something? That bundle is quite a good deal though, that's definitely the one I want.

@winsord said:

I just don't see them doing it here. After the conversion, the current $400 CAD Xbox bundles up here are equivalent to $354~ USD, so we practically already have the discount in that sense. If it dropped to $350 I'd absolutely buy it, but considering they're already giving us a break by not raising the price to $450 like Sony did, I don't think they need to, and subsequently they likely won't.

This is very true, and honestly we are very lucky that they haven't increased the price like Sony did, but man how awesome would it be if they actually did...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Damn dude, I live in Windsor so I just buy everything from the States since Detroit is literally right there. No idea what part of Canada you live in.

But yeah, there is a solid variety of exclusives coming to Xbox One that might pique your interest.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By m1k3

@zombiepie: I've been so tempted by the price drop I got as far as ordering the Sunset Overdrive bundle on Amazon, but then I ended up canceling it after thinking about how much free time available. I have such a backlog already between my PS4, PS3, Vita and WiiU that I can't possibly fit the XOne in it. Plus the only thing that interests me in the near future is the Master Chief Collection.

Sometimes you need to step back and think.

I was very tempted though.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

@xyzygy said:

@zombiepie: Why did people have to talk you out of it? Was it super impulse or something? That bundle is quite a good deal though, that's definitely the one I want.

As @gamer_152 can explain I have the worst reasoning for owning a Kinect.

I just want it because it's there.

superkebabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really counting on this price drop; combining the $50 off and the trade in $100 rebate at the MS store would be amazing.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

As @gamer_152 can explain I have the worst reasoning for owning a Kinect.

I just want it because it's there.

Yeah, that's a pretty weak reason :P The Kinect-less one is probably a better option.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found someone on Reddit claiming to have gotten the 50 buck discount from the MS Store in Calgary, as a refund amount (they were refunded $50+GST); but I do not expect that we'll see the bonafide discount up here, for the currency reasons others have mentioned. Although... now that Black Friday is a "thing" in Canada, you just never know...

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yaay just got a refund check for a late tax return i did.

I CAN'T DO THIS, NO

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xyzygy

GUYS: UPDATE!

EB Games is listing Xbox One consoles as being $369 on their online store. It's sold out across the board though. Every bundle suspiciously also has their prices removed...

It's worth nothing that while this isn't as much as the US cut, if you were to convert 370 CAD to USD it's 324. We're getting the console even cheaper.

I will probably be going into an EB in the next few days to inquire about this and possibly picking one up, if this is true.

KarenW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whhaatt! I just scored the Limited Edition Sunset Overdrive Bundle on SHOP.CA.

Got the Pay Pal promo and got $50 off the bundle. Don't really care about getting Minecraft but it came with a bunch of other stuff. Loving the old-skool white console.