Does the Xbox One controller work on a PC yet?

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hi all, I need a new controller for my pc for when I play games that are generally designed for a controller in mind. Do they have an xbox one controller that would work on PC easily and reliably? Or would I be better off just getting a wired xbox 360 controller? Thank you

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Yep, just plug it in. No way to use a wireless connection yet though.

NorthSarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I actually had a similar question regarding Mac users. I saw a GB user say they created a driver that works, but I couldn't get it to work properly on my end (maybe a Yosemite issue?)

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks, just making sure! I assume the PS4 controller doesn't work?, Or if it did with more hassel/less reliably?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dudeglove: So the Xbox One controller is natively supported on the PC but the PS4 requires a special workaround? That's too bad but both controllers are great so no big deal.

kingspeedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingspeedy

The PS4 controller works fine plugged in or via bluetooth without any crazy drivers, but it only gets recognized as a DirectInput controller. Some games (AC:Unity, for instance) will use it natively, and you'll get PS buttons in the interface and everything. If you want it to work with an XInput-only game (sadly, mostly everything out there), you'll need to get a wrapper. I'm a fan of the one at ds4windows.com, but there are others that do the exact same thing.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GaspoweR

@brendan: I'm not sure if Microsoft has launched the Xbox One driver as part of the Win7 or Win8 update but as far as I know you'd have to download and install the driver manually.

My only gripe with it is that there is no wireless option for it as of now. I believe the tech they used for it to wireless connect to the console is via Wi-fi Direct so if ever they make that option available in the future, either your PC needs to support Wi-Fi Direct or they release a special receiver like the 360 controller.

hodor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hodor

Yeah the bone controller should just work with the driver, although with a wire, and keep in mind that wire does not charge the controller without a rechargeable battery kit. There's several DS4 scripts out there that work great and are easy to use and install. The DS4 doesn't come with a charging cable but can be used with any micro-usb to usb cable, and will work wirelessly with bluetooth. The DS4 also has a few new games that support it without a script but who knows if that trend will continue. Also the trackpad can be used as a mouse. And the cheapest option is an old 360 controller, which you can get to work wirelessly with a special dongle.