IF the Xbox One removes its DRM and always online policy...

• 95 results
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By FluxWaveZ

Poll IF the Xbox One removes its DRM and always online policy... (308 votes)

I will now consider buying an Xbox One 46%
I will not consider buying an Xbox One 56%

So in light of the crazy ass rumor circulating recently, mostly originating from Giant Bomb itself, I want to see what people think.

I've been opposed to the Xbox One for a long time. Even before all of this, I was not satisfied with the exclusives the 360 offered as well as paying for XBLG for multiplayer. A whole lot of the Xbox One's policies turned out to be ridiculous and they've been going out of their way to make themselves look stupid as hell in the media. If this were to happen, however, I'll actually consider buying an Xbox One sooner than later for some exclusive games that would look interesting for it, but I'd still be buying a PS4 first.

And I was enjoying this train wreck...

• 
phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By phantomzxro

I'm kind of on both sides of the coin i guess. The always online requirement/ not being able to borrow games was a flat out deal breaker for me. Now i will reconsider but i now know Microsoft's true intentions are and no amount of spin or backtracking will change that. publishers and money comes first to them and consumers second, i would even go as far and say gamers third.

I know it's a business and it is about making money but there is a happy middle ground or fine line if you will, to keep the money coming in and your customers happy. So i won't buy one at launch and maybe tune back in a year later and see if Microsoft have learned to treat consumers better and get a better PR team because no one knows what the hell they are doing over there.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By jimmyfenix

I typed out a whole paragraph saying I will consider one after a huge price drop for Titanfall (If it stays exclusive forever, which I highly doubt.) but I changed my mind. Buying a console for one game and then paying $60 a year for Gold isn't worth it. I'll stick to my PS3, Vita and PS4 next gen.

@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

They removed literally all of the features I was most looking forward to from the next generation. Anyone else canceling their pre-order due to this reversal?

Be gone Don!

You are not in control Don!!!

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By rebgav

Nah. They've already shown their hand so a retraction to improve their image doesn't mean a thing. It's good that they will now launch without a bunch of their bad DRM policies but that doesn't really fix the problems with the console itself nor MS' stewardship of the platform.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#54  Edited By StarvingGamer

Not until they get a console exclusive that is worth a damn

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By confusedowl

Still getting a PS4. It just appeals to me more and is also more powerful and has a better price.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me, no because it's still $100 more expensive than the PS4. I'll more than likely get one a year or two down the line because I want to own all of the next gen consoles (I've never owned all the consoles in a generation before and I want to do that at least once), but for now I'll stick to the PS4. It's cheaper and the only thing behind a pay wall is the multiplayer.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Zella

I would consider it for sure now, not gonna get one because almost 120 more after tax plus a less interesting exclusive line up.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I made my decision based on multiple factors to eventually purchase a Ps4 instead of the X1, but today's events are good for gaming all around. We should all celebrate this move and have a drink in honor of organized consumer outrage, regardless of our choice of platform.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I typed out a whole paragraph saying I will consider one after a huge price drop for Titanfall (If it stays exclusive forever, which I highly doubt.) but I changed my mind. Buying a console for one game and then paying $60 a year for Gold isn't worth it. I'll stick to my PS3, Vita and PS4 next gen.

@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

They removed literally all of the features I was most looking forward to from the next generation. Anyone else canceling their pre-order due to this reversal?

Be gone Don!

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@awesomeusername said:
@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

Be gone Don!

Time to fight the system!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BaneFireLord

Down the road maybe, but not at launch. $100 plus Kinect is still a dealbreaker.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

One word: Gaikai

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyfenix said:

@awesomeusername said:
@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

Be gone Don!

No Caption Provided

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The price and the Kinect requirement is still a big mark in the "no" category, but I'm more willing to look over that now that a lot of the policies are gone. If you can give me Fallout 4 in 2014, you have a sale Microsoft.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#65  Edited By EarlessShrimp

Holy shit, at 152 votes it's evenly split.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@awesomeusername said:
@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

Be gone Don!

No Caption Provided

I only know that movie because I noticed MAnjelina Jolie. It looks terrible. MUST. WATCH.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Nitrocore

The whole idea was ridiculous from the start. It's like getting into a boxing ring with a broken leg, and expecting people to bet on you winning.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@awesomeusername said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@awesomeusername said:
@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

Be gone Don!

No Caption Provided

I only know that movie because I noticed MAnjelina Jolie. It looks terrible. MUST. WATCH.

If you're going into expecting it to be bad you wont be disappointed.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not going to get a One. Plus gives you more shit that Gold while not locking some shit behind a paywall (netflix, etc.) that shouldn't be there. It's cheaper. For the past several years the PS3 has had better exclusives, and since those studios are coming over (Naughty Dog for one) I want to play their games on the PS4 too. JRPGs.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Gargantuan

If they tone down the kinect bullshit and sells the console without it then I'll probably buy both an Xbone and PS4 at launch, otherwise I'll probably wait for the Xbones first price drop.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

with the always online policy gone it's now a piece of hardware I can realistically use without major headaches. So yep. I'll consider it. It's a real battle now.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm half expecting both console makers to announce tomorrow that they're returning to game cartridges, as well.

We're officially living in crazy town now. Anything's possible.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ShaggE

Eventually, sure. I was going to anyway at some point. But only after the PS4, and that's more to do with pricing and features than DRM.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#74  Edited By Sergio

Neither choice. My opinion has not changed. There still aren't any exclusives that I personally want on the Xbox One. If that changes next year, then I may buy one.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cutyoface

Even after this I am still not interested in the X1 because of Microsoft's support of the 360 in the past couple of years.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@robotsquad said:

The damage has been done. Me and Microsoft are donezo.

Yeah, because people never forget stuff... like when PSN got hacked, everyone hated Steam, and sars was going to kill us all. Most people will forget MS stupid policies in 3 weeks. All big companies have done stupid things, it's not like this was an oil spill in the ocean.

Not to mention sony released music cd's with root-kit drm and bluray/dvds that could render your device inoperable. but...no one seemed to remember that shit too :P

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

• Still requires a kinect
  • Still $100 more expensive for lesser hardware.

FUCK no.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe at the very end of it's life cycle like what I did for the Ps3 but besides that, nope.

mernmern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I showed my support for the reversal when the news broke by locking down a day one preorder. I was fine with most of the previous DRM restrictions except for the daily threat of a bricked system. I hope some of the sharing policies can be rolled back in down the line, but today's announcement enabled me to settle on a system without reservation. I have a PS3 and loathe the interface and I dislike the controller layout. I actually started playing Ni Nu Kuni again this week just to try and convince myself that I could make the move to the PS4. Regardless, for the first time in a few weeks, I am looking forward to November.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I will get one a few years down the line. For now I'd rather have the PS4 though.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By moonwalksa

I was never going to get the thing anywhere close to launch regardless of what they did (and not before getting a PS4 first), but now that the online check-in requirement is gone, I feel comfortable with maybe buying one someday. Basically, the chance that I will eventually buy one is now a non-zero number.

FateOfNever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Microsoft already lost me. Sony made the better impression. Had Microsoft made this move at E3 maybe it would be a different story, but as it stands, Microsoft showed me their colors and they can't win me back as easily as just changing DRM policies that were awful and never should have been there in the first place. At some point I may want The One, but right now, Sony's the one showing me what I like to see, putting on the show I like to watch, and supporting the kinds of games I like to play all the while respecting the rights of the consumers in the same ways that have been established already.

PHenry1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not buying this thing until Titanfall, or Halo come out. PS4 is going to be my primary console. The lack of DRM does make me glad I'm going to buy it at some point.

dsi1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There needs to be an option for "Went from do not buy to maybe buy later if an awesome exclusive comes out"

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@awesomeusername said:

@jimmyfenix said:

@awesomeusername said:
@brich said:

God. Damn. It.

Be gone Don!

No Caption Provided

If you're going into expecting it to be bad you wont be disappointed.

Glad to hear I won't be disappointed. I'll set my expectations high. I love terrible movies!

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting a PS4 at launch, but at least now the One is an option for picking up in a couple of years time, when it has enough exclusives.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably still not getting one.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By oraknabo

I liked my 360 a lot, but this seems like too little too late to me.

I'm not sure when I'll even be getting a console next gen, but when I do it will probably be a PS4. I'm interested in the prospect of having a ton of old PSX, 2 & 3 games through streaming services and even though I wasn't that into PS3's exclusives, I have a lot of respect for games Sony's made in the past and they've kept good first-party titles coming out a lot longer than MS has.

Also, indie support, lower price & not hiding Neflix & Hulu behind a paywall.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There still were more exclusives for PS4 for me to get excited about, so this doesn't change my mind. Happy for those that were on the fence about it, but all my buddies plan on going PS4, and I need my friends for Destiny.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Joeyoe31

I always considered getting an Xbox One AT SOME POINT. If anything this just means that I'll be getting one sooner? I don't know how much sooner that is, but it's definitely sooner.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is something to be said for standing by bad decisions, which microsoft weathered pretty strongly through this whole ordeal. I mean they held to their talking points better than most politicians. I guess that is why I feel disillusioned with this whole ordeal. Gaming for me has always been about relaxing, now its about FPS Shooter # zillion sponsored by doritos , facebook , twitch and twitter. I may be in the minority but as gaming tries to become more relatable it just becomes a cliche of itself , vying for attention like what feels like road side prostitutes on the ios flaunting "free games". This whole ordeal has been about trying to make console gaming more like pc gaming, but I don't recall anyone ever saying they had to be interchangeable. Microsoft blissful ignorance that their current audience may appreciate a gaming experience unique from what is currently provided on pc shows an oblivious amount of short-sighted logic on their part. So the question is now if jumping back on their premise, taking away the very few features that were reported on positively such as family sharing of games has recaptured the consumer. I am gonna say no, this indecisive manner of communicating with the gaming community is going to hurt microsoft for years to come. I hate to say that but they have taken a fairly capable opportunity to sway public opinion pre E3 and they wasted it on these half hearted commitments. Microsoft has a long road ahead to rebuild brand loyalty with most gamers. I recognize that some people here especially the "Drm is good" crowd couldn't be talked out of any terrible decisions Microsoft was or has made. For most gamers who want to maintain a strong consumer driven gaming experience I guarantee a discerning eye will be kept on MS, maybe not from fanboys but fanboys can't keep a company alive, so maybe we would all benefit from not pretending that MS some how succeeded with the current state of Xbox One information they have given.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlmightyBoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AlmightyBoob

Sony didn't try to screw me over, even though I wouldn't be surprised if they want to. I'll stick with them. I enjoyed my 360 but the PS3 has been killing it last few years and now I know how Microsoft feels about me. If they drop the kinect AND the price maybe in a few years I'll pick one up if the games are worth it like I did with the PS3. But for now, no thanks.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Snail

Does it still cost 499€?

Well then no.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So after I've gotten over the shock of what was happening, my position's changed a bit. My initial answer was that I would get a PS4 upon release and consider getting an Xbox One sooner than later, but the PS4 still has many more advantages to me than the Xbox One. PS+ is a better service than XBL, it's cheaper, it'll most likely have more games that I want for it and the hardware is better. Looking at my Xbox 360 which REALLY frustrated me, I realize that it'll take a whole bunch of awesome exclusives for me to jump on the Xbox One train anytime soon.

Still, it's cool that they removed the DRM.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stand by my statement that in a couple of years, once there are some neat exclusives and a price drop, I could see myself picking one up. I still wouldn't consider the Xbox One over PS4 though, they still tried to fuck over their consumers after all, and I'm not a fan of the tv/kinect direction they're going.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I find it pretty cool that they removed the DRM crap but still not a fan of Kinectivision.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opinion is still unchanged but I do welcome the change.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was always considering buying a Xbox One, not having to worry about disks anymore would have been a huge plus for me.