Improve wifi connection to Xbox?

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sup brehs.

So I've noticed that my wireless connection on my Xbox One just seems awful. Extremely slow download times, unplayable lag in Halo, my voice is choppy in party chat, stuff like that. Normally I would assume this is a problem on my end, but the thing is I never really had these problems while using my 360, and I was using that wirelessly in the same location that the Xbone is currently in. I even plugged the 360 back in and it seemed to work perfectly fine when downloading an arcade game and playing multiplayer. So, is there any fancy trick or anything I can do to improve this? I don't really understand networks and shit like that so sorry if this is a dumb question.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Go to Network in Settings. Are those bars (signal strength) low? I assume that your Xbox One wifi is near a dead zone.

What can really help is where the Xbox One and router are located in your home. Also what's your router?

I can just say to get a wifi extender or go for something like a powerline connection (basically wired connection using outlets from one unit to another leading to the router) but I rather see if you can improve your signal before spending money.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go to Network in Settings. Are those bars (signal strength) low? I assume that your Xbox One wifi is near a dead zone.

What can really help is where the Xbox One and router are located in your home. Also what's your router?

I can just say to get a wifi extender or go for something like a powerline connection (basically wired connection using outlets from one unit to another leading to the router) but I rather see if you can improve your signal before spending money.

Yeah there are only two bars. The Xbox is upstairs while the router is downstairs, and it's some Apple router (airport express I think?) I got for free when buying a computer (lol). I know that's probably the worst setup/router combo possible, but my 360 works perfectly fine on it so I assumed the One would also not have any issues.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Is there any way you can relocate the router, or perhaps move it even a little bit closer to where your Xbone is? Even getting it out of the closet or a little bit off of the floor or out of the corner could help.

Like Phantom was saying though, there are a multitude of options for fixing this if simply moving things around doesn't improve the signal strength enough to make it playable. It all depends on what kind of setup you want and how much you want to spend.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

Yeah there are only two bars. The Xbox is upstairs while the router is downstairs, and it's some Apple router (airport express I think?) I got for free when buying a computer (lol). I know that's probably the worst setup/router combo possible, but my 360 works perfectly fine on it so I assumed the One would also not have any issues.

I had a similar issue before since router is upstairs while some devices were downstairs. Once walls, floors and ceilings come into play, reception progressively gets worse. There are wifi extenders which helps but if you want your Xbox One to play optimally online without moving it, you can try Powerline Networking. The Xbox One can output from an ethernet cable to a Powerline adapter and have another Adapter go to the router's ethernet in port. I would research on that before going with it but so far it seems possible.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the router is in a cupboard type thing and is really close to the ground. Tomorrow I'll move it out and maybe put it on top? I'll see if that improves anything, and if not I'll look into some of those adapters you guys were talking about. Thank's for the advice dudes, I'll update if I get it working better :)