Last Minute Cancellations post Resolution Gate?

• 91 results
JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By JazGalaxy

It's weird how I'm always hearing from preview coverage (people with hands-on) how fun and good looking games on next gen consoles are but all I hear from the rest of the internet (people who've never been anywhere near a PS4 or Xone) is how there's nothing worthwhile on next gen, and that it all looks like garbage.

@shinjin977 said:

With that being said, don't buy any console for at least a year after it comes out. You will suffer missing features, possible hardware problem and lack of games for the first year. Typical console launch stuff.

Is that what's going on with the WiiU? I guess by that logic shit should be turning around for that console any day now....

OP, buy things for what they are, not what they promise to be. If there's nothing you want to play or do with the new xbox and you only bought it for the promise of Halo then you might as well cancel your pre-order. Companies should stop advertising their products based on future promises, their products should be worth purchasing at launch, and hopefully microsoft's launch lineup is worth a $500 console.

Go to sleep.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By GERALTITUDE

You should just go ahead and cancel your games hobby if resolution means this much to you.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#53  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

I've never been one to care about resolutions in my games that often unless it's on PC. Mostly because I was mainly playing on the 360/ps3 for most of this generation other than the last few years after I got my upgraded gaming PC. Even after I got a better PC it's mainly been playing a bunch of old pc games instead of the latest graphic heavy video game. Plus the only way I would really notice the difference is if I have two copies of the same game on the different platforms. I'll just play the game on the system I have and if the other version looks better... *shrug*

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Going from glorious 1080p on PC to 720p on GTA5 was bad enough despite how beautiful that game was. If you don't think it's a big deal you are fooling yourselves.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have a 720p TV anyway, so I won't notice. I'm excited about the games, service, and the whole soup in general. I'm still getting an XONE Day One at launch.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Syed117

Going from glorious 1080p on PC to 720p on GTA5 was bad enough despite how beautiful that game was. If you don't think it's a big deal you are fooling yourselves.

1080p? That's for plebes. Going from glorious 1600p to 1080p makes my eyes hurt.

Maybe you're fooling yourself about why you play games.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

For those that aren't bothered by lower resolution are you guys also not bothered by aliasing? I know that some people simply don't notice stuff like that but, when it is bad, it's really distracting to me. From what I've seen of BF 4, though the aliasing in PS4 isn't perfect, it looks distracting in the X1 version. But maybe I'm just being picky.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syed117:

People can play games for whatever they want. Even resolutions. That's a bit of a shitty comment dude.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Syed117 says that gamers are short sighted! Because you know...gamers are short sighted except for the ones extolling the virtues of their favorite platform.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Please verify your pixel ratio in order to proceed through the Resolution Gate

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@village_guy: Dude. If you know anything about video technology, it's not just numbers. You sound like the people who couldn't tell the difference between standard and high definition video when it was first coming out. Resolution is very important.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still getting it day one, don't care about resolution and none of my friends care either. I feel most people don't care about this, but the only reason it seems like a big deal is because the only people who would make a huge deal over this sort of stuff are the guys who post on VG sites.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like the name Resolution Gate.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resolution gate is stupid.

Buy the system that has the games that you want to play. Simple as that.

If you want to play Forza, Halo, Dead Rising or whatever? Get the One. Easy.

If you are going primarily Xbox at this stage, you can't be annoyed at the general consensus of it being in a shitty place compared to the competition. It is.. and thats on Microsoft. It's an inferior spec at a higher price and that's evident on the multiplat titles shown thus far. In a years time, developers will be much more proficient at using both systems resources and will produce better results. Sony's system will still be more powerful and will still have the potential of producing the better performing titles. You won't be playing Halo though.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinny_says: I would say yes that is exactly what is going on with WiiU (well, aside from lacking 3rd party support/casual moving on etc.) and again yes out of the three console the WIIU is the most promising console this holiday. What with Wind Waker, Wonderful 101, upcoming Bayonetta, pikmin and Super Mario 3d world.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still getting it day one, don't care about resolution and none of my friends care either. I feel most people don't care about this, but the only reason it seems like a big deal is because the only people who would make a huge deal over this sort of stuff are the guys who post on VG sites.

I feel like this is very much like the hoopla surrounding backward compatibility before the launch of pS3 and Xbox. PS3 announced that their console would be backward compatible, and MS announced that theirs wouldn't. The internet flippout and people started screaming and crying and cancelling their pre-orders. "But, our studies show you don't USE backward compatibility!" MS said. "WAHH! AH! Why are you doing this!? We're cancelling pre-orders and going to Sony who understand us!" gamers replied. Then a couple of months later, Sony says "actually, we're stopping backward compatibility to save money. Besides, our studies show you guys don't use it." Then a year later, nobody even remembers it.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Visuals only get you so far. They never make a game, they just make it look good. That's always been the case and it hasn't changed.

You think anyone will care about these games and what they look like in 10 years? My point is that these things don't matter. Gameplay matters. The experience matters. If someone doesn't like the ps4 controller or if they have friends on xbox live, is that more important, or that the ps4 version is the superior port?

Did it matter last gen for all the Sony fans? They ignored a lot more than just bad ports. A bad controller and a bad online service. Now those things matter just because the PS4 versions will be better? We don't even know about controllers or the online services yet.

There are tons of people on this forum and others who only had a ps3 and never a 360. Why? That's all I want to know. If all these things are so important now, why didn't they matter then? Inferior ports, inferior controller, inferior online service. Yeah, I have a ps3 for exclusives and I'm glad I do, but everything else was played on 360. It's not like there is some incredible Sony platform exclusive at launch. There isn't one for xbox one either.

No. I haven't cancelled either pre order and I don't plan on it. I'm fortunate enough to be able to have both at launch and my multiplatform decisions will be made based on my friends for multiplayer and other things for single player.

The Sony fans carried this ridiculous chip on their shoulder for the past 7 years. Never able to justify their console which launched for $500 while the 360 at $300. The console that was $200 cheaper had better performance in almost all third party games. Apparently it wasn't a big deal then, but it means everything now. Now the games don't even matter. Just what resolution they are running at.

That's what I can't stand about these people. They are hypocrites.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By l4wd0g

It still has DLNA!

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was getting PS4 from the get go, and if I can get the extra money with some things I'm trying to sell before the Xbone comes out, I'll buy that outright too at launch. While I'm getting both and care about the games first and foremost, it is kinda disappointing that the system looks like at least for a while, it can only still do 720p.

I do most of my gaming on my gaming PC, and not having 1080/60 AT LEAST is definitely a bit of a bummer. I'll probably get most console multiplatform games on PS4 or PC is just how it'll be. People don't seem to know so but 720 to 1080 is a huge fucking gap in quality, it really is.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Right now for me its KI and Forza vs Killzone, I have already played the Xbox One and will be trying the PS4 next Thursday (Killzone won't be there) after that I guess I will have to actually make a choice..

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your friends are a the major reason for your pre-order, bigger than say your interest in any game, I would cancel too since you're not going to be playing with them. I wouldn't cancel merely for resolution though.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering a $600 PC runs everything current games fine at 1920x1080, yeah there should be concerns. Not because of the resolution specifically, but these consoles (both of them) should be more powerful than they are. Sony and MS opted to take a profit on the hardware sales (which are normally a loss at launch), and that shows in the power of the systems.

That being said, console gaming is a beast and developers will make it work. Launch games are always bad, and they don't represent what the console is truly capable of. Nothing is optimized like it will be once developers get more experience with these machines. XBox 360 had games running at less than 720p early in it's life (Halo 4 is the only HD game in the series), and it did just fine.

Buying a launch console isn't a great idea (though I am getting a PS4 at launch). I'd be more worried about those small hard drives and huge game installs than the resolution of early games. Games will be better optimized in the future, but install sizes don't get smaller. I'm sure there will be higher capacity versions at a lower price in the next couple years. You buy launch consoles because you like new things and want to be part of the experience, not for it's value.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me "Resolution Gate" is an interface button in Maya to box out the space your camera will render in the viewport. This post left me so confused.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I can't express how much I fucking hate the thing where people think they are clever by calling ever controversy whatever "gate".

Not calling out the OP specifically, just the idea in general.

It doesn't make any goddamn sense, and even if it did, it still wouldn't be clever. Calling this "resolution gate" or the Patriots illegal filming "spygate" doesn't make an ounce sense in the context of the reference. Watergate was the name of the hotel, it wasn't a scandal about water. Just calling something "insert topic gate" takes no creativity and doesn't mean a fucking thing in the context of anything.

Sorry. This is just something that bugs the shit out of me and every time I see I feel the need to vent, carry on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#78  Edited By Seppli

I did preorder PS4 over Xbox One, because I feel like I'll get more for my money. More power at a lower price. In the case of Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4, I indeed get more for my money. More pixels that is. If anything these circumstances reaffirmed that the reasons I decided to buy into PS4 over Xbox One hold true.

If you got different reasons than me for buying into one or the other next gen console, it might well be that Xbox One is still the one for you - though I don't think it's silly of your friends to be swayed in direction PS4 by this. It's simply true, Playstation 4 has the stronger hardware, and it will show in multiplatform games - as we see in Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty: Ghosts.

So if right now you only buy one of the two consoles, going with the one that'll likely have the better looking better running games for the lower asking price is the smart choice. Don't fault your friends for thinking so too. Though I'm sure you'll be happy on Xbox One too. It'll play all the same games, and it'll play 'em well enough, just a little more dingy.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@vinny_says: I would say yes that is exactly what is going on with WiiU (well, aside from lacking 3rd party support/casual moving on etc.) and again yes out of the three console the WIIU is the most promising console this holiday. What with Wind Waker, Wonderful 101, upcoming Bayonetta, pikmin and Super Mario 3d world.

yes.... but tell that to the general populace who refuse to buy that thing for some reason (not me, I'm here waiting for that Mario to come out already). I'm just wondering, if the WiiU had anything better than New Mario at launch then maybe nintendo wouldn't need to rely on the 3DS so much.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll:

Hey guys, remember the rant-gate on the Giantbomb forums on 11/4?

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't express how much I fucking hate the thing where people think they are clever by calling ever controversy whatever "gate".

Not calling out the OP specifically, just the idea in general.

It doesn't make any goddamn sense, and even if it did, it still wouldn't be clever. Calling this "resolution gate" or the Patriots illegal filming "spygate" doesn't make an ounce sense in the context of the reference. Watergate was the name of the hotel, it wasn't a scandal about water. Just calling something "insert topic gate" takes no creativity and doesn't mean a fucking thing in the context of anything.

Sorry. This is just something that bugs the shit out of me and every time I see I feel the need to vent, carry on.

I'm with you. I hate the internet's obsession with trying to be cute and clever. It's borne out of a want for attention and it's just annoying.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jazgalaxy said:

@shinjin977 said:

While I agree that no one deep enough into gaming to be on giantbomb should not be pre-ordering any console. The notion that if some one gives a damn about resolution they are crazy is ridiculous. Of cause they have the right to care, especially when they are asked to pay 100$ more than the competitor for less performance. Hey lets go to that expensive burger place that give you less than the competitor for more money, even though it taste pretty much the same as the competitor! Who cares right?

With that being said, don't buy any console for at least a year after it comes out. You will suffer missing features, possible hardware problem and lack of games for the first year. Typical console launch stuff.

It's the use of terms like "performance" that make people roll their eyes.

I mean, you realize that, in real terms, it very well be that the PS4 has games that look functionally the same or worse than Xbox, right? The PS3 was supposedly more powerful than the Xbox. In reality, there were only a handful of games that looked better on PS3 than Xbox. Ultimately, developers develop for the least common denominator.

I love the weasel words here. "Functionally the same." N64 games were also "functionally" the same as most Ps1 games, it certainly didn't make them enjoyable to look at or play at 20fps. The Ps2 version of Resident Evil 4 was also functionally the same as the Gamecube version; it didn't mean there wasn't flatter textures, significantly fewer environmental objects, and almost entirely static lightning.

Also, the "Ps3 was supposed to be more powerful" argument was always dumb. The Ps3 has a stronger and weird CPU that comes out in first-party games but the 360 actually does have the better GPU, which is half the reason multiplatform games tend to perform better on the system. Microsoft went in focusing entirely on getting a strong GPU into their system, kept the rest of the architecture simple, and released cheaper than their main competition. Familiar?

Unless you count the differences between Wii and current gen systems, there has never been a technical divide so significant between the two. In an age where 95% of all games come out of multiple platforms, it makes sense that some people prefer to get games on the better system, which is why I bought most of my games on the 360 this generation. This isn't an argument trying to win you or everyone over, it's just about trying to understand why other people might prefer to get the more powerful, cheaper system. Yeah, the Xbox One's games will be functionally the same, they'll still look good, but some people don't want to spend $100 more for "eh, it's fine" when their competition is offering much more impressive tech. Only to a console warrior would that not make sense.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I don't give a shit - I just like games. And I wish that more people could enjoy them without obsessing over numbers.

This. I mean, it is a difference, and don't get me wrong, I realize it's not as good. But part of me doesn't give a shit. When I plug in my PlayStation (one) my first thought isn't to count the pixels. I might have a moment of "hey, games have come a long way" but then it's up to the quality of the product to carry it.

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If anyone actually cancelled their pre-order after this dumb Resolution thing, oh god.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85  Edited By Spongetwan

@valeyard: depends on the game. As the reports are saying the Ps4 games like COD are suffering from frame rate issues.

StingingVelvet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86  Edited By StingingVelvet

I want both consoles eventually but could only buy one at launch. I had to prioritize, and when I heard games were running and looking better on PS4 it did sway me that direction. The vast majority of games we play are third party ones available on both consoles, so it makes sense to me to get those in the best versions possible. Ironically that's why I prioritized Xbox 360 last around.

I'll look to get the Xbox One next holiday season, or shortly after, once some more exclusives are out.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

Don't care even a little.
Visuals are a very secondary thing for me.
I just want fun games. XB1 has games that look fun to me. So I'm gettin' it.
S'very simple.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#88  Edited By Trilogy

@themanwithnoplan said:

Resolution gate...... I hate the internet's dumb inflation of relatively minor issues.

Slapping the word "gate" on the back of every piece of internet drama is the same brand of dumb as the media's obsession with dubbing every issue with "The war on...". (the war on Christmas, etc)

Avatar image for burningstickman
BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Why did I cancel mine? Microsoft's embargos. Even if the games ultimately look just fine compared to PS4, there seems to be some shady shit going on, and it's best to wait that out.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By LiquidPrince

I think that eventually resolution will not end up mattering as much if the X1 can pump out nice looking games, but it is a worrying trend at this launch. To see such a big difference at the beginning of the generation leads people to believe that the gap can widen even further over time.

flip2000b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By flip2000b

@burningstickman: The embargo's were clearly only for marketing purposes and to be honest you are an idiot if you thought otherwise. They now have had pretty much blanket coverage this week, which is super impressive considering their main rival released only 4 days ago now. All you have heard about is either poor/average PS4 games, PS4 failures or good/great Xbone games.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Nope, I don't give a shit - I just like games. And I wish that more people could enjoy them without obsessing over numbers.