#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4207 posts) -

Malright. Microsoft is commited to releasing Xbox in Japan.

The Xbox 360 has not been a runaway success in Japan, but that doesn't mean Microsoft is shying away from the region with its all-new Xbox One next-generation platform.

"We're committed to Japan," Microsoft president of Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick told OXM during a roundtable discussion recently. ..

"We think it's an important market. And we'll continue building on the working investment that we've done over all these years," Mattrick said. "There'll be more news in appropriate ways [for each geographical region], including the content partners, all classes of content, what's been tweaked and what's the same as what we're rolling out in the US."

GameSpot: Microsoft 'committed' to Japan for Xbox One

Now: Kinect, XBLA, regular games: What Japanese games would you like to see come out from Japan? XSEED, Square, Mistwalker..

Persona Kinect. Think about it. Dating Sim, the characters react to your face. This shit writes itself!

#2 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5447 posts) -

Woohoo sunk costs. I guess Cave fans will continue getting their games, and that about accounts for the entirety of Xbox owners in Japan.

#3 Posted by Cameron (599 posts) -

Why bother? They tried last time and failed horribly. I'd rather they focused their resources on North America and Europe, which are much larger markets anyway. They should make sure they still get the next Final Fantasy and whatever Japanese games still sell outside of Japan, but making original games to court the Japanese market sounds like a bad idea.

#4 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

lol.

#5 Posted by White_Silhouette (473 posts) -

Didn't MS say they were committed to Japan with the 360? Around the time of Blue Dragon came out?

#6 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

@rebgav said:

lol.

I reiterate this opinion, with significant amplification.

#7 Posted by Dixavd (1358 posts) -

Good luck with that.

#8 Posted by Marcsman (3192 posts) -

Ha ha ha. This made me laugh

#9 Posted by Demoskinos (14822 posts) -

They totally said this last time too. Yeah good luck with that.

#10 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Of course it's an important market, but you won't get close to Sony's success.

#11 Edited by SomeJerk (3244 posts) -

If you thought the facepalm reaction NA/EU gave the XBone was bad, Asia in general you wouldn't believe..

Respectful to not entirely dismiss it of course.

#12 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

YAY just buy more JPRGs exclusively so less players can again play it. And in the end no one else will care. Hopefully Namco now knows that Tales of should be a Playstation title because that is the console it sells on.

#13 Edited by Vinny_Says (5706 posts) -

N.U.D.E is ripe for a sequel with kinect

#14 Posted by Humanity (9206 posts) -

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yah lol, why should people in Japan that are interested in XBOX games be catered to. All big corporations will tell you the secret to success is "if you don't succeed once, give up and never try again" thats how the biggest companies in the world made it.

#15 Posted by Jerr (531 posts) -

Of course Mattrick is going to say that at this stage when asked about Japan. What else is he going to say, "We're not committed to Japan at all, fuck 'em"?

#16 Posted by neoepoch (1295 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yah lol, why should people in Japan that are interested in XBOX games be catered to. All big corporations will tell you the secret to success is "if you don't succeed once, give up and never try again" thats how the biggest companies in the world made it.

All four of them? I mean let's be real, if the reaction in the west was met with tepid response, what do you think the reaction in Japan would be? Non-existent. No one in Japan wants the damn thing, and they especially don't want any of the integrated TV bullshit that is coming with it.

#17 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The Region Microsoft should put up a fight against should be Europe. Because they still have a very though stand here. But unlike Japan, Microsoft has still a chance in Europe.

#18 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

I forgot about that old adage, "if you don't succeed twice then make a third go of it making absolutely no concessions to the market and blindly blundering ahead oblivious to the reasons for your continued failure because that's a really good idea." Sorry Mom.

When Microsoft says that they're committed to Japan, I hear "I guess we'll release it there too."

#19 Edited by EXTomar (4718 posts) -

I'm sure they are committed. I mean they gave us such wonderful marketing pushes for the 360 where all you need to go to Youtube and see how serious they were.

The problem with the Japanese market is that have small living room. If Americans had problems trying to get Kinect to work in their houses, it was impossible to get it to work in most Japanese apartments and homes.

#20 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4973 posts) -

@jerr said:

Of course Mattrick is going to say that at this stage when asked about Japan. What else is he going to say, "We're not committed to Japan at all, fuck 'em"?

Don Mattrick keepin' it real all up in this piece.

#21 Edited by Humanity (9206 posts) -

@rebgav: You must share your sources for this inside information about Microsofts overseas marketing strategy, I'm fascinated to read all about it.

#22 Edited by theveej (830 posts) -

Good one Microsoft!

#23 Posted by Brendan (7804 posts) -

I'm going to make a wild guess and say that they aren't really "committed" but that as long as they manage supply it will be infinitely more profitable to sell a few in Japan rather than publicly give up on the market and proclaim to their investors that they failed. Non story.

#24 Posted by hollitz (1516 posts) -

If that's not complete bullshit, maybe I'll be interested in the X-bone. The 360 really only interested me because of the good chunk of (albeit mostly shitty) exclusive JRPGs that had early in the lifecycle.

#25 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rebgav: You must share your sources for this inside information about Microsofts overseas marketing strategy, I'm fascinated to read all about it.

The most prominent complaints about the 360 are even more valid when applied to the new box. It is still a big ugly box, it is still online-service focused, there are still no meaningful Japanese games exclusive to the platform (that we know of.) MS can strategize around that maybe but I am perfectly happy to state that I think that the Xbox will continue to struggle in Japan and it will be because it's a Western machine for Western markets. You're welcome to continue arguing with me about my opinion though!

#26 Edited by Humanity (9206 posts) -

@rebgav: I certainly wouldn't want to make the mistake of arguing with someone on the internet. Of course you're absolutely right in that you are fully entitled to your own opinions no matter how unnecessarily condescending in tone they can get.

#27 Posted by jamesdba3 (1 posts) -

Great commitment! Xbox one in Japan LATE 2014!!

#28 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3087 posts) -

This is pretty hilarious in retrospect. Committed to ignoring all of Asia until next year.

#29 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

cool so they will buy another bunch of JRPGs the most people will not play? As long its not Persona....

#30 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

@humanity said:

@rebgav said:

lol.

Yeah, given what we know now, "lol" sounds about right. Another classic case of Microsoft saying one thing and then demonstrating differently.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

But didn't they essentially say that Japan wouldn't be getting online at launch? And isn't this a console whose entire operation depends on an Internet connection?

#32 Posted by YukoAsho (2041 posts) -

Oh Microsoft, they so funny!

#33 Posted by Nephrahim (1142 posts) -

I was very confused about this topic until I saw it was started before E3.

#34 Posted by Humanity (9206 posts) -

@hailinel: Give them a year and they'll release it over there and it probably won't sell very well but at least they're still trying.

#35 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

haha

#36 Posted by Hailinel (24707 posts) -

@humanity said:

@hailinel: Give them a year and they'll release it over there and it probably won't sell very well but at least they're still trying.

There's a difference between "trying" and "actually giving a shit when you do." Microsoft views Japan (and all of Asia, really) as a secondary market in which they have no chance, and so they're not even making the effort to engage in a world-wide launch. By the time the Xbox One is available in Japan, the market will already be overtaken by the PS4 and Wii U. The hardcore dedicated audience of the 360 will either have moved on by that point or continue to be part of a tiny market.

#37 Edited by ThePickle (4182 posts) -

#38 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Yep, most of Japan went "Fuck the Xbox", so Microsoft went "Fuck everyone in Japan".

#39 Posted by 23r23d23er23r234f2f2 (25 posts) -

Hope they can make a significant impact this time around

#40 Posted by Nephrahim (1142 posts) -

To be fair, I think it's entirely fair for the Xbox to not commit to Japan. They clearly aren't interested.

I just think pretending they are when it's the exact opposite is silly.

#41 Edited by shinjin977 (758 posts) -

While I am 100% sure no one who work at Microsoft will read this or if they do it will even matter, here are some advice from someone who live and work in asia (Japan, Thailand, Hongkong).

As long as the DRM stuff is still in place, the Xbox one will bomb even harder than the 360 in asia. I am talking a few thousand units, bomb. Unless Microsoft have Final Fantasy exclusive games, I predict the Xbox One not even crossing 1 million unit sold in asia combine. Most gamers in asia are pc gamers (net cafe) and the only reason they buy console is for the big exclusive (RE, FF, MonHun). So lock those down or fail.

#42 Edited by mrfluke (5149 posts) -

what a load of bull.

unless they have a Japanese exclusive lined up next year for that market, they will sink again,

microsoft, with those policies on that xbox one, show that they do not cater to the minority markets anymore.

the 8-4 guys have said japan is HUGE on used games, the policies ridden on this machine will never fly with the asia market, only way this takes off is if the controlling your tv with voice happens to hit with that market. and even then, that'ill only be a short term market for them to put focus on, as they have made it very clear their target is more the US.

unless they do have a big exclusive IP aimed at Japanese markets, or they locked-down an exclusive, then no significant progress will be made in the japanese market.

#43 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6186 posts) -

I want to see Sony or Microsoft hold a press conference where all they say is, "Suikoden," drop the mic, and then wave their bare naked ass at the smoking ruin that was their former competitor.

No, but seriously, more traditional JRPGs, please. Or at least RPGs that feel like RPGs, like Lost Odyssey or Ni no Kuni. Hey, what the hell is Level-5 up to, anyways? Bring them on board! Get them making Dark Cloud 3, or Rogue Galaxy 2, or something that will sell all of ten copies but be adored by those ten fans for life.

Good grief, I'd be a terrible businessman.