• 110 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5125 posts) -

From now until the second of March, Microsoft stores will accept your PS3 for $100 credit towards an Xbox One.

Source.

Seems like a joke, but apparently they're serious.

#2 Posted by AltonBrown (923 posts) -

Huh.

#3 Edited by Marcsman (2895 posts) -

Never seen a MS store before.

#4 Posted by spraynardtatum (2140 posts) -

Or you could keep your PS3 and save $100 by buying a PS4

#5 Posted by psylah (2153 posts) -

zing

#6 Edited by Ramone (2932 posts) -

Well, that's certainly an interesting proposition. I wonder what Microsoft would do with all those old PS3s.

#7 Posted by Sterling (1750 posts) -

@ramone: Finally discover how to make a unit without heating issues.

#8 Edited by TheMasterDS (1874 posts) -

@ramone: I don't think they're going to do anything with them. Maybe they'll plug them into the cloud. Cell processor.

#9 Posted by Vladd (53 posts) -

How low can you go Microsoft in terms of competition?
Always a step (or more) behind Sony, and now this?

Ughh.

@ramone said:

Well, that's certainly an interesting proposition. I wonder what Microsoft would do with all those old PS3s.

I picture something sacrificial involving fire and numerous murmurs.

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4034 posts) -

I mean I still have my PS3. And I already bought a XONE. So..

#11 Posted by Glottery (915 posts) -

If this is indeed serious, the fellow responsible for the idea must've somehow managed to miss those "few" earlier marketing mistakes by Microsoft already...good stuff!

#12 Posted by CByrne (146 posts) -

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/30/5361146/microsoft-offers-100-to-ditch-your-ps3-for-an-xbox-one

Looks to be for Xbox 360 as well. I guess if you aren't going to use it anymore? I wish I could trade my old 360 in for a new 360... I hate my OG 20gb...

#13 Posted by joshwent (1781 posts) -

Yeah. All this "promotion" really does is remind me that you have to get a $100 discount to make the XOne cost the same as its competitor.

#14 Posted by IonAgenda (32 posts) -

I don't get the weird negative reaction here. This is an INCREDIBLY common practice in retail You'd be hard pressed to find an electronics retailer that's never done a promotion like this: Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, even phone stores offer "bounty" or "recycling promotions."

Also, I think it should be made clear that "Microsoft Stores" are not run by the Xbox division of Microsoft, they're a separate division with different choices, and it's a bit less coupled than say, Apple to Apple Stores. And that's the core thing here - it's a retail store that wants retail profits, and this is a CLASSIC retail promotion.

#15 Posted by Veektarius (4164 posts) -

Contrary to most other posters in this thread, if I were ready to get a new console, I would probably take this offer over a kick in the crotch.

#16 Posted by grenademan360 (4 posts) -

nope...sorry microsoft but the ps3 has persona 5 :)

#17 Posted by HatKing (5571 posts) -

Haha!

This seems weird. Would they take my 360 instead? I rarely use that thing at this point.

#18 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

I wish they'd just give me $100 for my 360 that I never used. Actually any amount of money for that thing would be cool at this point.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4282 posts) -

Was about to jump on this until I saw that it's going towards an X1, but I guess I can't be surprised.

#20 Edited by ShaggE (5997 posts) -

I'll take 'em for free! Ha! Beat that, Microsoft!

... Wait.

#21 Posted by Sergio (1774 posts) -

Looking forward to what's been announced so far this year, and ignoring my back catalog, the PS3 still has more exclusives I want to play than Xbox One so far, so I think I'll pass.

#22 Edited by hermes (1270 posts) -
#23 Edited by Aviar (366 posts) -

So wait, they only take 360 S and 360 E. They won't take the 360's that were prone to the RROD.

That's hilarious.

And I would definitely give up my 360 before I gave up my PS3. But I guess since I bought a launch day 360 they don't want it because even they know it's CRAP!

#24 Posted by VincentVendetta (211 posts) -

Next thing you know they're gonna make negative ads like Sega did back in the day.

"Microsoft does what Sony... sucks at!"

#25 Edited by EXTomar (4129 posts) -

@marcsman said:

Never seen a MS store before.

They are usually nearby the Apple Store which is why you probably never noticed it.

#26 Edited by Reisz (1369 posts) -

They want to get as many PS3 units as possible. Turns out the only way they can power the cloud is by parallel linking all those cell processors.

#27 Posted by DwigtK (101 posts) -

@extomar: I saw one in Honolulu while on vacation, it was equally spaced from 2 Apple stores in that mall.

#28 Posted by RazielCuts (2718 posts) -

I don't get the weird negative reaction here. This is an INCREDIBLY common practice in retail You'd be hard pressed to find an electronics retailer that's never done a promotion like this: Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, even phone stores offer "bounty" or "recycling promotions."

Also, I think it should be made clear that "Microsoft Stores" are not run by the Xbox division of Microsoft, they're a separate division with different choices, and it's a bit less coupled than say, Apple to Apple Stores. And that's the core thing here - it's a retail store that wants retail profits, and this is a CLASSIC retail promotion.

Keep fighting the good fight, sir! Blind faith really is a thing!

#29 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9791 posts) -

If there was actually a Microsoft store near where I lived, I might (stress, might) think about doing this with my old PS3 that stopped reading Blu-ray discs back in 2010. I mean, the only thing that old PS3 is good for at this point is playing PS2 games, and if this PS4 having a PS2 emulator patched in rumor is true, then I wouldn't even need it for that!

But like I said, there isn't one nearby, so no dice.

#30 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1773 posts) -

@ionagenda said:

I don't think you know just how ironic your being

#31 Posted by dudeglove (7273 posts) -

Can I give them my shitty ps3 with the faulty optical drive?

#32 Posted by Frobitz (151 posts) -

I have more interest in the PS3 line up this year than the Xone so yeah, no thanks.

Also, MS aren't making this offer in the UK. Probably the few stores they have here are all under water, like everywhere else since it's our new rainy season :)

#33 Posted by Quarters (1553 posts) -

Check and mate.

#34 Posted by RazielCuts (2718 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

You assume too much. The 'hey, this isn't a big deal, happens all the time, whats the big deal, man?' is kind've hilarious though. Then the 'MS Store isn't even like...related, haven't spoken for years, they're like, distant half cousins, man.' Is the cherry on top.

#35 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4448 posts) -

Damn, I love the adversarial intentions behind this.

#36 Posted by believer258 (11062 posts) -

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we knock it out of the ballpark with the fourth comment!

No thanks. I was happy with my 360 when I got it in 2007 but as time went on the box just became less and less appealing. It's rarely used now. I got a PS3 recently and I'd much rather keep it, especially since I can buy a PS4 for the same price without giving up my PS3. This "offer" seems like it's for chumps.

But setting aside all of that, I don't even have a Microsoft Store near me. How common are MS stores?

#37 Edited by GERALTITUDE (2812 posts) -

What's this? Another ill-conceived marketing ploy from MS?

@spraynardtatum said:

This could be the zing to end all zingers.

#38 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2580 posts) -

Guys don't be too harsh on Microsoft, they just don't get the industry quite yet.

#39 Posted by narujoe93 (2459 posts) -

@ramone said:

sell them on ebay for 200

#41 Posted by Bicycle_Repairman (116 posts) -

That just seems... a disgusting marketing move. How can a spokesperson even defend this move without making the company look like a giant @$$#*(& ?

#42 Posted by Korwin (2726 posts) -

Too bad, they can't have it.

#43 Posted by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

craigslist.com / ebay.com

#44 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11035 posts) -

I would buy a used PS3 if it was $100.

#45 Posted by IonAgenda (32 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

You assume too much. The 'hey, this isn't a big deal, happens all the time, whats the big deal, man?' is kind've hilarious though. Then the 'MS Store isn't even like...related, haven't spoken for years, they're like, distant half cousins, man.' Is the cherry on top.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, that feels real great.

My point is that "XBOX MARKETING EXECS" aren't the ones making this promotion, "MICROSOFT STORE MARKETING EXECS" are. If it seems tone deaf, that's fine but you gotta point the fingers at the people actually making the decisions and I'm SURE that if this is a "problem" that teams communicating with each other poorly is just as much to blame as their general tone deafness.

Sony wasn't on your side when they made the "XBOX SUCKS YOU CAN PLAY USED GAMES WITH US" ad that twisted the knife into Microsoft, and Microsoft isn't on anyone's side when they're offering money off of a garbage machine that's STILL too expensive. The world is nuanced and corporations are massive and complicated and are somehow run by more than one person, but I guess as people that play video games we're not allowed to have some nuance, everyone has to pledge blind allegiance to something, right?

#46 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3336 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

But ionagenda is right when it comes to Microsoft Stores not being run by Xbox. This dumb move could be simply a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Having said that, this "classic retail promotion" and "incredibly common practice" always strikes me as either desperate or classless. It's one thing for a store to tell customers that they'll take competitor coupons, but quite another to say "let us trash our competitors product and we'll give you a discount." I work in retail, and our promotions are always considerably more tactful.

I would also make the argument that perception is reality, and even if the Xbox division had nothing to do with this, that really doesn't matter. It still looks bad for Xbox.

#47 Posted by ch3burashka (4913 posts) -

Companies usually avoid using competitor's product's names, so it's weird when you see it happen. This isn't unprecedented, though it does seem desperate. If you don't care about Persona 5, sounds like an alright deal.

#48 Posted by Humanity (8001 posts) -

Contrary to most other posters in this thread, if I were ready to get a new console, I would probably take this offer over a kick in the crotch.

I'd totally go for it. I have both older consoles and have primarily games on my 360 and only used the PS3 for exclusives. Considering there will be no more exclusives for the PS3 (I assume most games will come out for both PS3/PS4 at this point) I might as well ditch that box and get a discount on an XBO.

@spaceinsomniac: "Tasteless" really has no place when it comes to getting potential customers to buy your product. When Sony released that video of how you can share games and it was basically mocking the XBO that was pretty tasteless and unnecessary - but that's corporate "warfare" for you.

#49 Posted by AlexW00d (6065 posts) -

@hermes: Lol I just meant money in general. This is probably a US promotion anyway, I ain't in the US. Nor do I want a Xbox One.

#50 Posted by Sergio (1774 posts) -

@humanity: There are a few exclusives for the PS3 still coming out. They may not be ones you are interested in, which is understandable, but different from what you said.