• 110 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

From now until the second of March, Microsoft stores will accept your PS3 for $100 credit towards an Xbox One.

Source.

Seems like a joke, but apparently they're serious.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Huh.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Marcsman

Never seen a MS store before.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Or you could keep your PS3 and save $100 by buying a PS4

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

zing

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Ramone

Well, that's certainly an interesting proposition. I wonder what Microsoft would do with all those old PS3s.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@ramone: Finally discover how to make a unit without heating issues.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By TheMasterDS

@ramone: I don't think they're going to do anything with them. Maybe they'll plug them into the cloud. Cell processor.

Vladd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How low can you go Microsoft in terms of competition?
Always a step (or more) behind Sony, and now this?

Ughh.

@ramone said:

Well, that's certainly an interesting proposition. I wonder what Microsoft would do with all those old PS3s.

I picture something sacrificial involving fire and numerous murmurs.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I mean I still have my PS3. And I already bought a XONE. So..

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is indeed serious, the fellow responsible for the idea must've somehow managed to miss those "few" earlier marketing mistakes by Microsoft already...good stuff!

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/30/5361146/microsoft-offers-100-to-ditch-your-ps3-for-an-xbox-one

Looks to be for Xbox 360 as well. I guess if you aren't going to use it anymore? I wish I could trade my old 360 in for a new 360... I hate my OG 20gb...

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah. All this "promotion" really does is remind me that you have to get a $100 discount to make the XOne cost the same as its competitor.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get the weird negative reaction here. This is an INCREDIBLY common practice in retail You'd be hard pressed to find an electronics retailer that's never done a promotion like this: Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, even phone stores offer "bounty" or "recycling promotions."

Also, I think it should be made clear that "Microsoft Stores" are not run by the Xbox division of Microsoft, they're a separate division with different choices, and it's a bit less coupled than say, Apple to Apple Stores. And that's the core thing here - it's a retail store that wants retail profits, and this is a CLASSIC retail promotion.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Contrary to most other posters in this thread, if I were ready to get a new console, I would probably take this offer over a kick in the crotch.

grenademan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope...sorry microsoft but the ps3 has persona 5 :)

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha!

This seems weird. Would they take my 360 instead? I rarely use that thing at this point.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they'd just give me $100 for my 360 that I never used. Actually any amount of money for that thing would be cool at this point.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was about to jump on this until I saw that it's going towards an X1, but I guess I can't be surprised.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaggE

I'll take 'em for free! Ha! Beat that, Microsoft!

... Wait.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Looking forward to what's been announced so far this year, and ignoring my back catalog, the PS3 still has more exclusives I want to play than Xbox One so far, so I think I'll pass.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By hermes
Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aviar

So wait, they only take 360 S and 360 E. They won't take the 360's that were prone to the RROD.

That's hilarious.

And I would definitely give up my 360 before I gave up my PS3. But I guess since I bought a launch day 360 they don't want it because even they know it's CRAP!

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Next thing you know they're gonna make negative ads like Sega did back in the day.

"Microsoft does what Sony... sucks at!"

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EXTomar

@marcsman said:

Never seen a MS store before.

They are usually nearby the Apple Store which is why you probably never noticed it.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By reisz

They want to get as many PS3 units as possible. Turns out the only way they can power the cloud is by parallel linking all those cell processors.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar: I saw one in Honolulu while on vacation, it was equally spaced from 2 Apple stores in that mall.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get the weird negative reaction here. This is an INCREDIBLY common practice in retail You'd be hard pressed to find an electronics retailer that's never done a promotion like this: Staples, Best Buy, Office Depot, even phone stores offer "bounty" or "recycling promotions."

Also, I think it should be made clear that "Microsoft Stores" are not run by the Xbox division of Microsoft, they're a separate division with different choices, and it's a bit less coupled than say, Apple to Apple Stores. And that's the core thing here - it's a retail store that wants retail profits, and this is a CLASSIC retail promotion.

Keep fighting the good fight, sir! Blind faith really is a thing!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there was actually a Microsoft store near where I lived, I might (stress, might) think about doing this with my old PS3 that stopped reading Blu-ray discs back in 2010. I mean, the only thing that old PS3 is good for at this point is playing PS2 games, and if this PS4 having a PS2 emulator patched in rumor is true, then I wouldn't even need it for that!

But like I said, there isn't one nearby, so no dice.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@ionagenda said:

I don't think you know just how ironic your being

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9d14856890c
deactivated-5c9d14856890c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have more interest in the PS3 line up this year than the Xone so yeah, no thanks.

Also, MS aren't making this offer in the UK. Probably the few stores they have here are all under water, like everywhere else since it's our new rainy season :)

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Check and mate.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

You assume too much. The 'hey, this isn't a big deal, happens all the time, whats the big deal, man?' is kind've hilarious though. Then the 'MS Store isn't even like...related, haven't spoken for years, they're like, distant half cousins, man.' Is the cherry on top.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Damn, I love the adversarial intentions behind this.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd we knock it out of the ballpark with the fourth comment!

No thanks. I was happy with my 360 when I got it in 2007 but as time went on the box just became less and less appealing. It's rarely used now. I got a PS3 recently and I'd much rather keep it, especially since I can buy a PS4 for the same price without giving up my PS3. This "offer" seems like it's for chumps.

But setting aside all of that, I don't even have a Microsoft Store near me. How common are MS stores?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#37  Edited By GERALTITUDE

What's this? Another ill-conceived marketing ploy from MS?

@spraynardtatum said:

This could be the zing to end all zingers.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys don't be too harsh on Microsoft, they just don't get the industry quite yet.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

sell them on ebay for 200

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That just seems... a disgusting marketing move. How can a spokesperson even defend this move without making the company look like a giant @$$#*(& ?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too bad, they can't have it.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

craigslist.com / ebay.com

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#44  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I would buy a used PS3 if it was $100.

ionagenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

You assume too much. The 'hey, this isn't a big deal, happens all the time, whats the big deal, man?' is kind've hilarious though. Then the 'MS Store isn't even like...related, haven't spoken for years, they're like, distant half cousins, man.' Is the cherry on top.

Thanks for putting words in my mouth, that feels real great.

My point is that "XBOX MARKETING EXECS" aren't the ones making this promotion, "MICROSOFT STORE MARKETING EXECS" are. If it seems tone deaf, that's fine but you gotta point the fingers at the people actually making the decisions and I'm SURE that if this is a "problem" that teams communicating with each other poorly is just as much to blame as their general tone deafness.

Sony wasn't on your side when they made the "XBOX SUCKS YOU CAN PLAY USED GAMES WITH US" ad that twisted the knife into Microsoft, and Microsoft isn't on anyone's side when they're offering money off of a garbage machine that's STILL too expensive. The world is nuanced and corporations are massive and complicated and are somehow run by more than one person, but I guess as people that play video games we're not allowed to have some nuance, everyone has to pledge blind allegiance to something, right?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@razielcuts said:

@ionagenda said:

But ionagenda is right when it comes to Microsoft Stores not being run by Xbox. This dumb move could be simply a case of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Having said that, this "classic retail promotion" and "incredibly common practice" always strikes me as either desperate or classless. It's one thing for a store to tell customers that they'll take competitor coupons, but quite another to say "let us trash our competitors product and we'll give you a discount." I work in retail, and our promotions are always considerably more tactful.

I would also make the argument that perception is reality, and even if the Xbox division had nothing to do with this, that really doesn't matter. It still looks bad for Xbox.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Companies usually avoid using competitor's product's names, so it's weird when you see it happen. This isn't unprecedented, though it does seem desperate. If you don't care about Persona 5, sounds like an alright deal.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Contrary to most other posters in this thread, if I were ready to get a new console, I would probably take this offer over a kick in the crotch.

I'd totally go for it. I have both older consoles and have primarily games on my 360 and only used the PS3 for exclusives. Considering there will be no more exclusives for the PS3 (I assume most games will come out for both PS3/PS4 at this point) I might as well ditch that box and get a discount on an XBO.

@spaceinsomniac: "Tasteless" really has no place when it comes to getting potential customers to buy your product. When Sony released that video of how you can share games and it was basically mocking the XBO that was pretty tasteless and unnecessary - but that's corporate "warfare" for you.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: Lol I just meant money in general. This is probably a US promotion anyway, I ain't in the US. Nor do I want a Xbox One.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: There are a few exclusives for the PS3 still coming out. They may not be ones you are interested in, which is understandable, but different from what you said.