thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@rebgav:

Nope. I have legally purchased Dreamcast, 3DO and Saturn discs I play on my PC's emulator, and I'm 100% within the letter of the law to do so. If in 15 years I feel the urge to play Titanfall or CoD: Ghosts, I'll do the exact same thing.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

So the solution to DRM is to build a more powerful system so that you don't actually play a game on it but use it to decrypt something else.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar:

15-20 years from now when I don't want a dusty XB1 taking up closet space? Absolutely. The SNES and Saturn don't have any DRM, and that's how most people enjoy those games today. Not because they have to, but because it's the easiest way with the best quality.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By EXTomar

In 15-20 years I'll be playing games with 15-20 years of advancement instead of wistfully wishing someone to build a system powerful enough do decrypt and to play Halo 5 that requires online systems that don't exist any more.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@themaniacsgnome said:

Because this is definitely an apples to apples comparison.

No, it's even worse with the Xbox One, because if / when verification servers are eventually shutdown, you won't even be able to continue playing the games you own until your console breaks. Your discs will just become useless plastic, and that will be that.

Thank God that someone else finally said this. This is my absolute biggest issue with always online DRM (OK, 24 hour checks, whatever), and I don't see people mentioning it very often.

@rebgav:

Same thing that happened to all the SNES cartridges with bad batteries and ROMs- play them on a PC. By the time any of this amounts to anything close to reality (are we really arguing about not being able to play Madden 2013 in the year 2025?), PCs will be powerful enough to run XB1 emulators and crack the disc encryption. No biggie.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Remember that the 8 year old 360 and 7 year old PS3 do not have good emulators yet.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@believer258:

So you'd rather they eliminate the ability to switch games without loading a different disc into the tray than require an online check to verify ownership?

floomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By floomp

@thetenthdoctor said:

@believer258:

So you'd rather they eliminate the ability to switch games without loading a different disc into the tray than require an online check to verify ownership?

I absolutely would. Not needing to swap discs is such a minuscule convenience that doesn't even come close to justifying the new hoops you have to jump through as a consumer, IMO.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Chibithor
@floomp said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@believer258:

I absolutely would. Not needing to swap discs is such a minuscule convenience that doesn't even come close to justifying the new hoops you have to jump through as a consumer.

Day 1 digital releases mean that you don't have to use discs on either console if you don't want to. You'll have to buy digital on the PS4 for that, but I'll gladly take it over online checks.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@thetenthdoctor said:

@believer258:

Honestly, there's no reason they couldn't do both. Disc in tray means you can play offline, no disc requires you to be connected. Add some true digital rights management--such and the ability to temporarily transfer a digital license to a friend so they can borrow a game--and this whole thing would be a non-issue.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@spaceinsomniac:

And I continue to insist that's exactly how it'll work. Microsoft has done the worst job in modern history of explaining these things, and by the time the dust settles, I suspect 90% of the angst will have been a tempest in a teapot.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@thetenthdoctor said:

@spaceinsomniac:

And I continue to insist that's exactly how it'll work. Microsoft has done the worst job in modern history of explaining these things, and by the time the dust settles, I suspect 90% of the angst will have been a tempest in a teapot.

What? We already know that they've flat out said that you will not be able to play video games unless you're currently online, or you've been online in the past 24 hours. Why do you think MS made that submarine comment that people who can't connect online should just get an Xbox 360?

Loading Video...

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac:

"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@chibithor said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@spaceinsomniac:

"With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies."

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/connected

Yep. MS has been vague about quite a few aspects of their new system, but their "no offline gaming" comments seem as clear as crystal.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By audiosnow

@zels said:

Steam would only shut down if Valve went under, Xbox services are not linked to Microsoft's lifespan in the same way, are they now?

MSN Music was never Microsoft's core service. Steam is Valve's primary, practically sole, service.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@mlarrabee said:

Steam.

Gee, another service who will "eventually shut down servers and cause consumers to lose access to purchases."

Microsoft gave MSN music purchasers seven years in which to download and backup their purchases.

At some point the telegraph wires have to be replaced by telephone wires. At some point MSN Music servers have to be replaced by servers supporting any one of millions of modern services.

Two years, you might notice that the articles are old (if you read the articles.) Of course, they could have rolled those licenses into the Zune store but that would have been crazy because... something. Also, backing up your purchases would have been a moot point because the DRM system MSN Music used was an authentication check-in every session.

Steam has divulged its future plans to strip the DRM from your library of games if they are forced to shut down. It's like, they have a plan and they tell you about it.

I've never heard any official statement from Valve regarding their plans to support their customers once Steam is shuttered. DRM-stripping was one of a couple hypotheses, but if you have conclusive evidence I'd love to see it (my own Steam library is quite extensive).

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This will happen, on both the 360 and the ps3. We just have to hope that they provide us with more options going forward so that psn and xbox live games aren't lost to time. Also you shouldn't end an op with "Enough said. Conversation over." that doesn't make sense.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also you shouldn't end an op with "Enough said. Conversation over." that doesn't make sense.

I was being sarcastic. Watch the video in the link.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@spaceinsomniac:

After how badly they've communicated everything else, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a phrase like "When the disc isn't in the tray" was left off there unintentionally.

With all the talk of the cloud, the bits, etc, all their statements seem to be pertaining specifically to disc free gameplay.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#70  Edited By Justin258

@thetenthdoctor said:

@believer258:

If it means that my rights as a consumer aren't trampled, and that the value of my games isn't dropped down to 0 when Microsoft decides to turn off the servers, then yeah I'll get up and change games every few hours. Gee, it's not fucking hard.

@thetenthdoctor said:

@spaceinsomniac:

I don't know if I can make this any clearer. The only real issue I have with this DRM is that every Xbox One will stop working when MS decides to stop supporting the authentication servers. I will set aside other quibbles if I am guaranteed that my (hypothetical) Xbox One will turn on and play games until the day that it breaks and not the day that Microsoft decides it's time for me to move on to their shiny new stupidly named console. A change of philosophy on the Kinect wouldn't hurt either.

Of all the conflicting messages that has come out of various Microsoft representatives, this one has been unmistakably clear. You must authenticate online every 24 hours to play it.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh God, the digging for eeeevil shit on MS is reaching critical mass.

Guess what dudes? One day the PS3 section of PSN will shut down, and you won't be able to download or play Journey. GRAB THE PITCHFORKS, LADS! Because this isn't about MS, it's about "first sale doctrine" and "consumer rights", right guys?

Right? Hello? G...guys?

There's a significant difference between choosing to buy something online and taking that risk yourself, or having the decision made for you with every single piece of software you'll ever own for that console.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Zelyre

@zels said:

@spaceinsomniac said:
And of course, it's surrounded by "We haven’t even started this generation, so it’s kind of early to talk about the end of the generation." and "let’s get the system out there first."

You're kidding, right? Someone in an important position in micorosoft actually said that?

Yeah, cause nobody wants to know this stuff before they drop 1/2k on a system.

I believe it was in a Major Nelson interview. Either with Angry Joe or... I can't remember her name, just that everyone probably has seen her in her Aeyla cosplay. She says it in her interview, but she excitedly blurts it out and it's not a common name.

Regardless, in the interview, Major Nelson says pretty much that, word for word. I'm pretty sure it was the Angry Joe video, as he pressed the DRM stuff pretty hard.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PillClinton

@rebgav said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@rebgav:

Same thing that happened to all the SNES cartridges with bad batteries and ROMs- play them on a PC. By the time any of this amounts to anything close to reality (are we really arguing about not being able to play Madden 2013 in the year 2025?), PCs will be powerful enough to run XB1 emulators and crack the disc encryption. No biggie.

So you're saying that the cure for DRM is piracy? Interesting position.

In the interest of preservation of something no longer available to purchase and/or even use on its original hardware? Absolutely.

But if they're actually smart, they'll do all the preservation work themselves and make it available to buy/play on future platforms.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@mlarrabee said:

Steam.

Gee, another service who will "eventually shut down servers and cause consumers to lose access to purchases."

Microsoft gave MSN music purchasers seven years in which to download and backup their purchases.

At some point the telegraph wires have to be replaced by telephone wires. At some point MSN Music servers have to be replaced by servers supporting any one of millions of modern services.

Two years, you might notice that the articles are old (if you read the articles.) Of course, they could have rolled those licenses into the Zune store but that would have been crazy because... something. Also, backing up your purchases would have been a moot point because the DRM system MSN Music used was an authentication check-in every session.

Steam has divulged its future plans to strip the DRM from your library of games if they are forced to shut down. It's like, they have a plan and they tell you about it.

I've never heard any official statement from Valve regarding their plans to support their customers once Steam is shuttered. DRM-stripping was one of a couple hypotheses, but if you have conclusive evidence I'd love to see it (my own Steam library is quite extensive).

No Caption Provided

I don't have the google-fu required to pull up steam employee interviews which aren't recent Gabe Newell interviews so, in place of primary sources, I offer you the canned steam support response to the question.

And third-hand GabeN emails!

If you right click on a game in Steam, you'll see that you can back up the files yourself. Unless there was some situation I don't understand, we would presumably disable authentication before any event that would preclude the authentication servers from being available.

We've tested disabling authentication and it works.

Not a 100% ideal, concrete plan of action, I grant you. Still, better than "we haven't thought about it and don't want to talk about it."

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never trust Microsoft ever again after they shut down LIVE for the old XBOX. Nah Microsoft, I like to be in control of all the games I buy.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are also a ton of games sold on Steam that have no requirement to use Steam. After you purchase and download it you can launch them straight from the hard drive just like any other game or app without bothering to start steam.exe or logging in.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@spaceinsomniac:

After how badly they've communicated everything else, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if a phrase like "When the disc isn't in the tray" was left off there unintentionally.

With all the talk of the cloud, the bits, etc, all their statements seem to be pertaining specifically to disc free gameplay.

They have been as clear as they can possibly be about the 24 hour check in and no way around it, even with a disc.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@lego_my_eggo:

He didn't really answer that question- just went on a PR script about "connected". I have yet to hear someone be definitive on this.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

If this is true (I have a hard time believing it isn't) than I officially cannot comprehend why anyone would want to buy one of these things. You're talking about hundreds (possibly thousands) of dollars that one day become totally useless. It's anti-consumer to a disturbing degree.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo:

He didn't really answer that question- just went on a PR script about "connected". I have yet to hear someone be definitive on this.

The question was specifically about the 24 hour check in with disc based games, if the answer was that a disc in the system could override that check in he would have said as much, but because he is a PR person, it is his job to twist and not answer questions he knows people will not like. The real answer being that they want to tie up all the potential loop holes people could use to get around there DRM.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#83  Edited By MormonWarrior

Weirdly enough my greatest fear is being unable to update/patch games on 360 in five years. They way they put it in a temporary cache on a lot of the titles (though they've changed that in recent years) means that your save files are incompatible in a lot of cases or you're stuck with the buggy version of the game.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

If you are afraid of a service shutting down you should download said media from service onto a hard drive. This music service has been down for 7 years. What's the issue here.

If Steam or The One were going to go belly up I would download all my games & keep them.

thetenthdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By thetenthdoctor

@lego_my_eggo:

Eh, maybe. Lets not forget this is the same company who talked about a "used game fee", which it turned out didn't even exist. Their PR people obviously have a huge disconnect with the tech department, and any question they don't know the answer to gets spun. Still waiting.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Mikewarrior

@granderojo said:

If you are afraid of a service shutting down you should download said media from service onto a hard drive. This music service has been down for 7 years. What's the issue here.

If Steam or The One were going to go belly up I would download all my games & keep them.

Did you forget the Xbone console itself will stop playing games once it can't get a PING from the server after 24 hours? The online DRM in the console itself, and it's ALL Microsoft's doing.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@lego_my_eggo:

Eh, maybe. Lets not forget this is the same company who talked about a "used game fee", which it turned out didn't even exist. Their PR people obviously have a huge disconnect with the tech department, and any question they don't know the answer to gets spun. Still waiting.

The used game fee is real and up to the publishers, its just that Microsoft doesn't get a cut of every deal. You can keep thinking and waiting that they just somehow forgot that line in there PR release about DRM, but i think you will be waiting a long time.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Mikewarrior

@lego_my_eggo said:

@thetenthdoctor said:

@lego_my_eggo:

The used game fee is real and up to the publishers, its just that Microsoft doesn't get a cut of every deal. You can keep thinking and waiting that they just somehow forgot that line in there PR release about DRM, but i think you will be waiting a long time.

Do people even believe Microsoft anymore?People don't think Microsoft gets a cut from the Publishers themselves for using Microsoft's Azure system? Everybody will pay extra in one way or the other, except Microsoft. The FEEs Xbone owners will pay is when trading in their games to SELECT retail partners who will give them far less for their games because they are the only option, and because of the extra FEES the retailer will have to pay.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

@granderojo said:

Did you forget the Xbone console itself will stop playing games once it can't get a PING from the server after 24 hours? The online DRM in the console itself, and it's ALL Microsoft's doing.

I really could give less of a shit. Steam has the same policy in writing but there are people who have been offline for years and still able to play games.

As long as the games are good, I will play on your console.

Mikewarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Mikewarrior

@granderojo said:

@mikewarrior said:

@granderojo said:

I really could give less of a shit. Steam has the same policy in writing but there are people who have been offline for years and still able to play games.

As long as the games are good, I will play on your console.

That should tell you Xbox One's DRM system is not like steam. You can't be offline more than 24 hours, and do you think Microsoft will offer you $1 high quality games, or keep the servers up for good? Once that server gets shut off, your whole Xbone library of games will be unplayable.

Could you give less of a shit?