Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexGlass
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Ryse: Son of Rome" follows Marius Titus, a young Roman soldier who must avenge the murder of his family at the hands of barbarian bandits. As he rises through the ranks of the Roman army, Marius' quest for vengeance will take him to the barbarian-infested shores of Britannia, and eventually straight into the heart of Rome.

Marius: The hero of Ryse: Son of Rome, Marius is a young soldier with a strong sense of duty who is completely dedicated to Rome and her ideals. Initially eager to fight against Rome's enemies and expand the Empire, he soon realizes that Rome is vulnerable to an even more insidious threat than the barbarians he faces on the battlefield. Ever loyal to Rome, he resolves to rid the Empire of her true enemies.

Vitallion: A wise and charismatic general who has served Rome for decades, Vitallion has fought in many campaigns and serves as a mentor to Marius. As events transpire he begins to wonder if duty has its limits, and whether self-restraint is always the correct course of action.

Nero: Nero, Emperor of Rome, struggles to maintain his grip on power. He promotes his two sons Commodus and Basillius to powerful positions, letting them take control of the rebellious province of Britannia. Nero feels threaten by all potential rivals and exacts ruthless retribution against anyone who crosses him.

Commodus and Basillius: As governor of Britannia, Nero's eldest son, Commodus, sees himself as a god, and the people of Britannia as his subjects. His reign is characterized by brutal repression. Nero's youngest son, Basillius, enjoys anything carnal or cruel. At the Colosseum he delights in watching gladiators kill each other, and lords over the terrified slaves he keeps in his harem in the bowels of the structure.

Boudica: The daughter of King Oswald, the ruler of the Britons. Strong and resilient, Boudica hates Rome, and with good reason: under Roman rule, her people are made to suffer horribly. When her father faces horrific retribution from a perceived insult, it galvanizes Boudica and she rallies her people to rise against their oppressors. Boudica is a principled woman and has the will to go to the ends of the world to save her people.

Oswald: Benevolent king of the Britons. He leads a rebellion against the tyrannical rule of Rome, but when the Romans brutally repress the rebels, Oswald submits to Roman dominance in hopes this will spare his people. His naivety leaves him vulnerable to the Romans.

Glott: Enigmatic leader of the Northern barbarians, rumored to be more beast than man. Very little is known about him except that he is fiercely independent and will make war on both the Romans and Oswald's tribe.

The Spirit Gods: Immortal spirit, one who watches over humanity, guides Marius. She appears in mortal form, but radiates an otherworldly aura. Another (known in mortal form as Aquilo) seeks the destruction of Rome and allies himself with her enemies.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/07/games-ryse-sdcc-announcement

Armor:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

New world premier video at 16:40. Jump straight to it.

Behind the scenes motion capture video at 17:20. Jump straight to it.

From the panel:

-Combat at E3 was just one basic area of the combat system, made for E3 audience. Final combat will be a lot more in-depth.

-Kinect's voice recognition will be used to give commands to your squad.

-Fantasy mixed in with Roman history which could be said it takes place at the beginning of the fall of the Roman empire.

-Motion capture was done by actually having theater actors perform their scenes on stage, as many as 12 at a time, with 127 performance action cameras, 5 reference cameras, and a head cam for each actor.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Next Gen QTE.

Game will probably look amazing, gameplay will be sub par. I'm looking at you Crysis 3.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NEXT GEN CLOTH PHYSICS

STEP IT UP CREATIVE ASSEMBLY.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

The Damocles stuff was interesting. I sure hope the combat will be more in-depth. I'm probably not gonna buy it or an Xbox One, but still.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Looks promising, but the QTE final kill stuff seems super repetitive, and Crytek's game quality tends to be all over the place, if they're being rushed into a launch day slot, this could go either way at this point.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Next Gen QTE.

Game will probably look amazing, gameplay will be sub par. I'm looking at you Crysis 3.

That's my guess too, but I personally prefer shooting at pretty polygons than watch pretty polys respond to on screen button prompts.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By themangalist

Other than saying I like the creative art direction with the material, I'd say i am pretty unimpressed about the project in general. Also, one guy on the panel kindaaa looked like Ryan.

Everytime I could bring this up, Spartan: Total Warrior.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested in the story and setting but I need to see a nice chunk of gameplay that isn't the E3 demo to get a better look at the combat.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yea, that's purdy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking good, but the gameplay looks fairly boring.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks nice, but that doesn't make up for how god-awful the gameplay seems.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Well, the game sure is pretty.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlexGlass

@village_guy said:

Looking good, but the gameplay looks fairly boring.

They said the combat shown at Comic-Con is the same as the E3 demo and that combat is only a portion of the finished combat they had time to put together for E3. There will be another panel soon where they will talk about the game in-depth. Also, the voice recognition aspects has not even really demonstrated. There's also a Coliseum arena, and they said it's not what you would expect it to be.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap look how good those bullshots look!

Oh...

No Caption Provided

I'm a little hesitant to be interested in that game for what ever reason after their E3 demo.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think we should wait for some more gameplay videos before we judge this game. I feel like the E3 demo was halfway a tech demo, because it did look fucking beautiful and really wasn't showing off much. If they build on the countering system though I could see it becoming something like Batman Arkham games.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexGlass

@slaegar said:

Oh...

'm a little hesitant to be interested in that game for what ever reason after their E3 demo.

You mean the one that looked like this and you're trying to downplay with a poor capture?

No Caption Provided

The one with simplified combat that didn't show the finished product?

The game looks fantastic as one would expect from Crytek.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The gameplay demo really turned me off. I'm going to need to see the better combat instead of just being told it exists.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

"The Spirit Gods: Immortal spirit, one who watches over humanity, guides Marius. She appears in mortal form, but radiates an otherworldly aura. Another (known in mortal form as Aquilo) seeks the destruction of Rome and allies himself with her enemies."

They couldn't help themselves could they?

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Honestly disappointed with the Spirit Gods stuff. I know it's Crytek and I'm one of the weirdos who cared about the Desmond stuff in AC, but everything doesn't have to be Sci-Fi/Supernatural. I was hoping this wasn't.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AlexGlass

@ez123 said:

Honestly disappointed with the Spirit Gods stuff. I know it's Crytek and I'm one of the weirdos who cared about the Desmond stuff in AC, but everything doesn't have to be Sci-Fi/Supernatural. I was hoping this wasn't.

Quite the opposite here. Makes the game more interesting for me to see that thrown in. Liked what I saw in the new video which gave me a 300 vibe from the colors, action as well as the narrator. I know enough about Roman history. This will allow for some surprises and a more interesting story.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@slaegar said:

Oh...

'm a little hesitant to be interested in that game for what ever reason after their E3 demo.

You mean the one that looked like this and you're trying to downplay with a poor capture?

No Caption Provided

The one with simplified combat that didn't show the finished product?

The game looks fantastic as one would expect from Crytek.

Looks fantastic, sure. But plays fantastic? This is a game that was originally supposed to be a Kinect title, now it's a QTE-fest where apparently Roman legionnaires fought like the soldiers in Normandy. I doubt it'll be anything more than a pretty graphical showcase for the Xbone.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlexGlass

@hailinel said:

Looks fantastic, sure. But plays fantastic? This is a game that was originally supposed to be a Kinect title, now it's a QTE-fest where apparently Roman legionnaires fought like the soldiers in Normandy. I doubt it'll be anything more than a pretty graphical showcase for the Xbone.

Except it's not.

E3 extended gameplay demo.

I'd be fine with that. Not much different than Arkham City. But as they've stated, it wasn't finished combat either and was specifically tailored for E3. It's also not demoing any of the voice recognition features. Just wondering how many more times this needs to be repeated before it stops being ignored...The game is clearly made to be a very cinematic experience and all that is just finishing moves to bring that out.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Marius Titus is the most generic Roman sounding name anyone could possibly think of.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marius Titus is the most generic Roman sounding name anyone could possibly think of.

To be fair it's kinda hard to make a non-generic Roman sounding name. They basically all had the same name.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must admit, I am curious about this game. If I get an Xbox One then this is the sort of game I could see myself getting if the reviews turn out good as the trailers have got my interest, I just need to see how the gameplay works out from what the developers are saying about the E3 stage demo being done for trailer purposes.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I played it at E3. It looks brilliant but it's pretty basic really... The demo was about 30 minutes long and I felt sort of underwhelmed when it was over.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This is easily the easiest next gen title to completely dismiss.

What a waste of a setting. I'm guessing it's already to far along to change to actual gameplay instead of QTE's

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I always really like good looking detailed armor/character models in games.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is that launch game that nobody remembers like 2 weeks after the console release, until someone says "hey, remember Ryse?" and we all have a hearty laugh.

Shame, it looks stunning and was my pick for best graphics of E3. Story and gameplay though just seem instantly forgettable.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

Ryse will be the next generation's Lair.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Direct feed video of the Behind the Scenes video from the panel:

Loading Video...

MedalOfMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MedalOfMode

If it turn into a Classic CRYTEK game (Which is only graphics), no one should buy it :P

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AlexGlass

@medalofmode said:

If it turn into a Classic CRYTEK game (Which is only graphics), no one should buy it :P

Wouldn't classic mean Farcry, which was pretty awesome? Crytek usually does pretty good with their first entry in a series.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Syed117

Gameplay looked mediocre, but I'm interested in seeing what the final version looks like in terms of graphics. The character models and environments from the E3 demo looked incredible even though they were running at 15 frames a second.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I could see a cool horde mode come out of this. Fucking, recreate (several) old giant epic Roman battles.