ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

So, I got my new Xbox one, but have some questions:

1. If I have the power save settings set to turn off the console after 1 hour of inactivity, does that count for when I'm downloading a large game? I noticed this while downloading the master chief collection, which is a large game. And I woke up and the console was turned off and the game was done downloading yet when I turned it back on. I just wanted to make sure it didn't overheat and shut itself off overnight or something.

2. Is there suppose to be only about 300gb free on the console? Seems like a lot of used space out of the box.

3. What's some good games for it? Exclusive wise?

4. Is the UI supposed to be a little sluggish?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By KaneRobot

Off the top of my head I don't know 1 and 2, but...

3. Sure. But without knowing what you like it's hard to recommend anything. Friends and I have had fun with Sunset Overdrive and Halo MCC now that it works. Ori is great. When Crackdown finally comes out it should be awesome. Again I'm just naming random exclusive stuff that's solid since I'm not sure what your preferences are. There are plenty more both already out and coming over the next year or so.

4. It is kind of slow to load, especially if you're snapping stuff to the side of the screen. The update coming in the next couple months speeds it up significantly, by all accounts from people that have seen it.

ascagnel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

@raven_sword:The power save settings will put the console into a deep sleep mode, but it'll be awake enough to finish large downloads, install them, and then put itself to sleep. It won't be running on full-blast during that time, though.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@raven_sword:

1. I only own two games, well three now with Massive Chalice, so I don't know the answer to this. If it works like the PS4, I suspect it should be able to continue downloading, then go to sleep.
  2. Yep. I don't know if they've made improvements, but the last time I checked, the Xbox One left about 360 GB available for users. All hard drives once formatted offer less than what they state is their capacity. I don't know how much the Xbox One formatting uses up, or how much the OS takes up. It might also reserve space for game DVR?
  3. I can't really say, most of the Xbox One exclusives don't appeal to me. The only ones I bought were Sunset Overdrive and D4; I'm not as enamored with the former as some are, and the latter is on Steam now.
  4. I don't think it's "supposed" to be, but it is. Hopefully it will be improved with the upcoming update.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ascagnel: I think that's only if I have it in instant on mode. I have it set to energy saving.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@raven_sword: In the energy-saving mode, when the console is off, for all intents and purposes it is completely off. I don't think it will automatically download updates or continue background downloads while it's in that state.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By bcooper21

@raven_sword said:

1. If I have the power save settings set to turn off the console after 1 hour of inactivity, does that count for when I'm downloading a large game? I noticed this while downloading the master chief collection, which is a large game. And I woke up and the console was turned off and the game was done downloading yet when I turned it back on. I just wanted to make sure it didn't overheat and shut itself off overnight or something.

2. Is there suppose to be only about 300gb free on the console? Seems like a lot of used space out of the box.

1. Use instant on power mode. Go into setting, power option and set it up as instant on with automatic downloading selected.It should turn off and download in low power mode similar to PS4.

2. PS4= 407G XB1=362 The difference is from how much space each OS needed and how much they took up. Not a big difference 1-2 games tops.

3. Halo, Titanfall, Dead rising 3, Halo 5 Guardians, Rise of the tomb raider, Forza Motorsport, Ori and the blind forest, Sunset overdrive, Sate of decay: year one survival edition, Ryse: Son of Rome and Killer instinct

4. Ui is alright getting a huge update this fall which looks to be my favorite of PS4, PS3 and 360.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

Halo MCC, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, and Ori in the Blind Forest are all worth looking into and are exclusive.

The UI is pretty bad but luckily is supposed to all change this winter. If you get into the preview program you may get that update before most people and you'll get Xbox 360 backwards compatibility as well.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo MCC, Forza 5, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive, and Ori in the Blind Forest are all worth looking into and are exclusive.

The UI is pretty bad but luckily is supposed to all change this winter. If you get into the preview program you may get that update before most people and you'll get Xbox 360 backwards compatibility as well.

Fall actually here is video on it

Loading Video...

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own Halo MCC, sunset overdrive and Ryse. I've so far only played Halo

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By MadBootsy

As someone who works a lot with the new consoles as part of my job, I feel like I have some good knowledge and tips for you in regards to the XB1.

1. As far as I can tell, the console lacks a true rest mode for downloading/installing games like the PS4 has. A good long term health tip for the console is to set the Energy mode in the Power & Startup menu to Energy Saving because the Instant-On mode can cause power consumption issues, including some potential overheating incidents.

Not a bad idea to try setting the console to instant on mode if you're installing/downloading games, if you shut it off in this mode - it should continue installing/downloading them. I feel like that's what has happened in my experience.

2. The Xbox One uses a lot of space for the Operating system and (to lesser extent) the 1st party Apps, thats what the 138 GB is reserved for. Luckily, the Xbox One has awesome support for external hard drives. I bought a 2TB Seagate external hard drive, same kind you would use with a laptop, and just plugged it into the Xbox One and it works very easily! It greatly expanded my room on the console as I quickly found the 300GB for games to be not enough. This is definitely one thing that the XB1 does better that PS4 imo.

3. Sunset Overdrive is alright, has some neat ideas in it, not worth owning a whole console for imo. Ryse is also very average, decent action game with some fun MP ideas. Can't say much about Halo MCC, most issues seem fixed, seems cool.

Killer Instinct is another great exclusive if you really like fighting games.

4. They're redesigning the dashboard to be more user/controller friendly and rely way less on the Kinect, no idea when they're rolling that out.

The Xbox One as a whole is outshined by the PS4 at the moment and the disc drive itself is currently notorious for breaking/dying under certain conditions.

Very important Xbox One fact: Make sure you plug the console directly into the wall and not a surge protector. The PSU has a built in surge protector and it is very bad for the console's long term health to be plugged into a power strip or surge protector.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Energy mode turns off console and stops downloads. 360gb at purchase sounds right for space on HDD. Runs out fast, and a remote HDD is the way to go. Dead Rising 3, Halo MCC, Titanfall, Forza 5, and Forza Horizons 2 are all fantastic exclusives. Some arcade games too that i really like(the launch golf game was very fun). Halo 5 and Gears of War redux will be great too this fall. The UI started off pretty bad(I was day one), but has been steadily improving. Now there seems to be a UI update every week, always around 250mb.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthatbacon: @allthatbacon: oh man, I totally have it plugged into a surge protector. A few days like that wouldn't hurt it, right? I mean I'm gonna go unplug it now.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword said:

@allthatbacon: @allthatbacon: oh man, I totally have it plugged into a surge protector. A few days like that wouldn't hurt it, right? I mean I'm gonna go unplug it now.

No you're fine, it mainly affects the health of the disc drive and overall system performance in the long run. In my experience, it can also cause all sorts of other weird issues for the console.

It states in the setup directions that come with the console not to plug it into a surge protector, but most people don't read those things: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/connect-power-supply

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword said:

No you're fine, it mainly affects the health of the disc drive and overall system performance in the long run. In my experience, it can also cause all sorts of other weird issues for the console.

It states in the setup directions that come with the console not to plug it into a surge protector, but most people don't read those things: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/connect-power-supply

Wtf what kinda console cant be plugged into a surge protector... I only have two plug in's and and 4 consoles what do they think im gonna do unplug every time no im using it to have it all on at once.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:

Wtf what kinda console cant be plugged into a surge protector... I only have two plug in's and and 4 consoles what do they think im gonna do unplug every time no im using it to have it all on at once.

The kind that have a surge protector already built into the power supply.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:

The kind that have a surge protector already built into the power supply.

Double the protection... Seriously though at least everyone i know uses them just to plug alot shit in no one likes moving and constantly switching consoles.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@raven_sword said:

Wow I had no idea I have had mine plugged in with a surge protector since the day I bought it, they should really have that as a splash screen when you start the damn thing.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthatbacon said:

@raven_sword said:

Wow I had no idea I have had mine plugged in with a surge protector since the day I bought it, they should really have that as a splash screen when you start the damn thing.

Nothing to worry about 90% of people who bough an xbox one already plugged it into one and nothing bad happened.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:

Nothing to worry about 90% of people who bough an xbox one already plugged it into one and nothing bad happened.

Yeah, they totally didn't have to pay $115-135 to send their consoles in for out of warranty repairs after a year or so of having them plugged into surge protectors.

Go ahead and lie to yourself if it's an inconvenience for you to plug it into the wall with your current setup, but don't lie to other people.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:

Yeah, they totally didn't have to pay $115-135 to send their consoles in for out of warranty repairs after a year or so of having them plugged into surge protectors.

Go ahead and lie to yourself if it's an inconvenience for you to plug it into the wall with your current setup, but don't lie to other people.

Until im told why im not to do it no thanks. Sorry i already know people who had xbox one since launch and did it nothing bad will happen and its been reporting and tested on reddit. No one should put there faith into a built in one.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthatbacon said:

@bcooper21 said:

Until im told why im not to do it no thanks. Sorry i already know people who had xbox one since launch and did it nothing bad will happen and its been reporting and tested on reddit. No one should put there faith into a built in one.

Well I've already given you multiple reasons why you shouldn't, but alright. Do whatever makes you happy.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bcooper21 said:
@allthatbacon said:

@bcooper21 said:

Well I've already given you multiple reasons why you shouldn't, but alright. Do whatever makes you happy.

Give all the reason's you want the xbox 360 was same way and i have had mine for years and years no issues plugging it into one.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthatbacon: so was it that it did damage over a long period of time? And not if it was just like that for literally a day? Cause I've only had it since yesterday. Sorry, I just wanna make sure no damage was done.

MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword said:

@allthatbacon: so was it that it did damage over a long period of time? And not if it was just like that for literally a day? Cause I've only had it since yesterday. Sorry, I just wanna make sure no damage was done.

It's fine.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@raven_sword said:

Wow. I didn't know that. Too bad I can't give it a dedicated outlet just for itself. It's crazy that Microsoft designed it like this - terrible IMO.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allthatbacon: but again, it was for people who kept it like that for months, right?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ravensword

I do wish dee though if there's goi g to be enough exclusives I want to play to warrant this purchase. I got it so I could play master chief collection, sunset overdrive, killer instinct, the gears of war remake, halo 5, rise of the tomb raider, and things like that. Since I'm goi g to be doing my third party gaming on ps4 most likely.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

1. I have my power set to instant-on. It downloads in the background even while it's off, and I'm not sure the energy-saving mode does. The MCC in particular was a ridiculously large download, so an hour won't cut it there. Depending on your internet speed, it may have taken longer than overnight even if it were downloading the whole time.

2. Yes, sadly. I think it was 362 GB, IIRC. External drives are basically a must.

3. Forza Horizon 2. Get it. It's awesome. Also, Titanfall.

4. It's a bit sluggish, I guess, but as a few others mentioned, it's supposed to get faster when the "Fall" update drops soon. Congrats on the purchase, duder!