The New Xbox Boss is Steve Balmer for the time being.

• 77 results
mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mrfluke

oh boy....

http://kotaku.com/the-new-xbox-boss-is-steve-ballmer-638364468

apparently totilo got a hold of the email that balmer sent out to the xbox division that informs the head xbox guys that they will be directly reporting to the current Head of Microsoft steve balmer

here's the email totilo linked to in his article, im sure this is all in the interim though till they get a proper new guy up in there

Sent: Monday, July 1, 2013

To: Microsoft – All Employees

Subject: Don Mattrick’s Next Chapter

Zynga announced today that Don Mattrick would be its new CEO, effective July 8. This is a great opportunity for Don, and I wish him success. Don’s directs will report to me and will continue to drive the day-to-day business as a team, particularly focused on shipping Xbox One this holiday.

Since joining IEB more than six years ago, Don and his team have accomplished much. Xbox Live members grew from 6 million to 48 million. Xbox 360 became the No. 1 selling console in North America the past two years. We introduced Kinect and have sold more than 24 million sensors. We released fantastic games, and, most importantly, we expanded Xbox to go beyond great gaming to deliver all the entertainment people want — sports, music, movies, live television and much more.

In the past month, the IEB team showed for the first time here on our Redmond campus, and again at E3, how we are going to continue to transform entertainment with Xbox One. I am incredibly proud of the work and vision culminating in Xbox One.

I’m particularly excited about how Xbox pushes forward our devices and services transformation by bringing together the best of Microsoft. The consoles are incredible all-in-one devices with built-in services that consumers love, including Bing, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer, SkyDrive and Skype. And, just as important, Xbox Games, Xbox Video, Xbox Music and SmartGlass light up Windows PCs, tablets and phones.

Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry. The strong leadership team at IEB and their teams are well positioned to deliver the next-generation entertainment console, as well as transformative entertainment experiences, long into the future.

Steve

for point of reference for those who dont know who he is, Steve Balmer is currently the Head of Microsoft. top of the food chain at Microsoft.

this guy, for better or for worse, he's an "interesting" guy to watch speak.

interesting times ahead folks.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheCreamFilling
Loading Video...

I don't know, he seems cool.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecreamfilling: if nothing else, if he sticks as the current head till next E3 and they dont find a new guy. he's gonna be entertaining to watch on stage :P

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Jack Tretton vs Steve Ballmer.

It's on. Like Donkey Kong.

There can be only one.

HelicopterSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least he cares about developers (developers developers developers)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://androidandme.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Evil_Ballmer3.jpg

We stand on the threshold of a new beginning. In order to ensure our success and continuing market influence, all departments will now be reorganized into the first Microsoft Empire, for a safe and prosperous company, which I assure you will last for ten thousand years!

A Microsoft Empire that will continue to be ruled by a sovereign ruler... I, Lord Steve Ballmer III!

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Alright.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

And here I was hoping Velocity Girl would take over.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You take this as bad news?

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

The consoles are incredible all-in-one devices with built-in services that consumers love, including Bing, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer, SkyDrive and Skype. And, just as important, Xbox Games, Xbox Video, Xbox Music and SmartGlass light up Windows PCs, tablets and phones.

Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry.

Yeah, Microsoft still doesn't know what's going on. They're going down next gen.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

The consoles are incredible all-in-one devices with built-in services that consumers love, including Bing, Xbox Live, Internet Explorer, SkyDrive and Skype. And, just as important, Xbox Games, Xbox Video, Xbox Music and SmartGlass light up Windows PCs, tablets and phones.

Thank you, Don, for setting us on a path to completely redefine the entertainment industry.

Yeah, Microsoft still doesn't know what's going on. They're going down next gen.

You sure did get alot more than I did out of that sendoff letter.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is prime time for Allard to take back his platform and guide it to the future.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS are better off working with Sony.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrfluke

@connerthekewlkid said:

me internet user, thinks this guy is a lunatic and is another out of touch exec,,

but you dont be the head of microsoft without having a lot of intelligence/ a sense of direction, but if it wasnt for windows pc's being entrenched, microsoft would not be as relevant anymore imo. and even still, the core of what windows is was not made under the balmer regime.

but ultimately we'ill see what happens, like i said, interesting times ahead, im just glad to see mattrick is out of there.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I have somehow managed to never actually see or hear Ballmer in motion before today.

And I approve of what I saw.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

me internet user, thinks this guy is a lunatic and is another out of touch exec,,

but you dont be the head of microsoft without having a lot of intelligence/ a sense of direction, but if it wasnt for windows pc's being entrenched, microsoft would not be as relevant anymore imo. and even still, the core of what windows is was not made under the balmer regime.

but ultimately we'ill see what happens, like i said, interesting times ahead, im just glad to see mattrick is out of there.

Well who else would they have gotten?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING AND COMING

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

Well who else would they have gotten?

not my job to find out, ultimately unless one of the xbox people under mattrick like phil spencer gets a promotion, or a new guy steps in or they bring back someone like peter moore from EA, this was the best move they could do right now than just having that division without a head,

my opinion as an internet user doesn't change of balmer though. especially when he wants to shift microsoft into a services and devices company, (which my assumption would be that the majority of X1 features will be hidden behind xbox live gold)

again we'll see what happens, he seems like just a interim head till they properly promote someone to run the xbox division.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

my opinion as an internet user doesn't change of balmer though.

What

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

What

yes?

do i know how balmer operates at microsoft fully? nope,

what i read and hear and watch of how balmer is through internet media makes me think hes another out of touch exec,

if your gonna tell me not to have an opinion of a person based of internet media then you might as well try telling the majority of the internet that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

What

I think he's just saying that he would still dislike Ballmer whether he was their only choice or not. The point being that anything involving him is something he might find reason to complain about.

In this case, Ballmer is simply taking on additional responsibility, but I imagine he will be trying to find someone else. As this is a boss getting rid of an employee and then taking over the work of that employee until they find someone to serve in that role in the long term.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

I'm kind of glad. Mattrick was a bit of a flake and Ballmer is... I don't know. A bit less of a flake? He seems more confident in the things he says. I mean... at least he's a step up from Mattrick.

But I have no idea how Ballmer operates. He might be good, he might be bad, but we all have to know that this is TEMPORARY. Obviously they will find someone else.

They should have fucking kept J Allard.....

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

If I were him, I would do one crazy little thing before handing it over to someone else. Like add black & white buttons to the controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing I have heard about Ballmer makes me think this is a positive.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

I think he's just saying that he would still dislike Ballmer whether he was their only choice or not. The point being that anything involving him is something he might find reason to complain about.

In this case, Ballmer is simply taking on additional responsibility, but I imagine he will be trying to find someone else. As this is a boss getting rid of an employee and then taking over the work of that employee until they find someone to serve in that role in the long term.

truth tellah tells the truth again. and you've said it in a much nicer, sensible way.

Thank you, I couldn't quite understand that sentence.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were him, I would do one crazy little thing before handing it over to someone else. Like add black & white buttons to the controller.

If I were Ballmer, I would just try to do very popular things like reducing restrictions on Indies, getting rid of high costs for game patches, and removing Netflix from being behind Xbox Live until the board drags me away in my insanity.

Though, Ballmer really just has to manage the Xbox department until he finds a replacement. Which will probably be soon.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: No problem! With a diverse community of folks, it's natural that we might often struggle to fully understand one another. :)

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

truth tellah tells the truth again. and you've said it in a much nicer, sensible way.

sorry if you took my last message in a wrong way btw,

im too used to arguing with people on these boards, that when you just said "what" i took it the wrong way.

No just didn't really know what you meant by that sentence, and you don't have to fight with people on this forum you know.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

im too used to arguing with people on these boards, that when you just said "what" i took it the wrong way.

No just didn't really know what you meant by that sentence, and you don't have to fight with people on this forum you know.

,it is their opinion, and tone just doesnt come through in text, and also, not everyone is nice on message boards like truthtellah, and its not all about arguing here...

......but there are some opinions ive seen here though, ill give you an example, there was the whole pro digital argument and a set of users that came out of the woodwork and literally badmouthing people for liking physical media, i just cant help but argue with those type of people and question them on why they are so self centered.

but this is getting off topic,ultimately i did not realize you sincerely didn't knew what i meant, your actually the first person that surprised me like that, that didnt know what i meant when i said "as an internet user".

Not "as an internet user" but that whole sentence.

and also you have a habit of leaving comments in threads that are either passive aggressive or dismissive because of another viewpoints, so you shouldnt be surprised when people argue with you.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Justin258

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

,it is their opinion, and tone just doesnt come through in text, and also, not everyone is nice on message boards like truthtellah, and its not all about arguing here...

......but there are some opinions ive seen here though, ill give you an example, there was the whole pro digital argument and a set of users that came out of the woodwork and literally badmouthing people for liking physical media, i just cant help but argue with those type of people and question them on why they are so self centered.

but this is getting off topic,ultimately i did not realize you sincerely didn't knew what i meant, your actually the first person that surprised me like that, that didnt know what i meant when i said "as an internet user".

and also you have a habit of leaving comments in threads are either passive aggressive or dismissive because of another viewpoints, so I can see why people would argue with you.

Now that's just plain hypocritical. I seem to see you in arguments started by you quite often.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@andorski said:

This is prime time for Allard to take back his platform and guide it to the future.

It's never too late to bring back the tribe.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

and also you have a habit of leaving comments in threads are either passive aggressive or dismissive because of another viewpoints, so I can see why people would argue with you.

Now that's just plain hypocritical. I seem to see you in arguments started by you quite often.

I never denied that, but if I start an argument its not because I wanted to pick a fight with them, I usually just want to get my opinion across and don't mean to start something.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

Actually, all three of you are guilty of that, and hell, so am I.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By living4theday258

Uh-Oh I don't like where this thread is going....

on topic: It doesn't matter to me at all who is leading the X-Box division at microsoft because I don't plan on owning an xbone either way.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading that email, my first reaction was "why is he selling their product to his own emploees" until I realized the company I work for have a newsletter thst goes out with the payslip that is of similar "we're awesome and doing great" talk similar to that email. So I guess that's how it is.

That aside, this whole thing is crazy.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By tourgen

All I know about him is he's into throwing chairs across the room.

Well, and that he's pushing for subscription services to Office and Visual Studio. Which I'm not a fan of but hey, Qt Creator is free and slightly better so fine, do what you want MS.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

and also you have a habit of leaving comments in threads that are either passive aggressive or dismissive because of another viewpoints, so you shouldnt be surprised when people argue with you.

oh im not surprised when people argue with me, im going to sound like a nutjob here, but i welcome it, ,that doesn't mean i agree with them or that im trying to convert them to my thinking,

im interested in hearing why they stand behind their positions on a subject and what they think of the opposing argument,

in your case where you legitimately didn't know what i meant by that sentence and wasn't just being snarky, in my experience here, thats very rare to come across.

trying to think of what you're talking about,

if your referencing when i told you to feel free to keep commenting and its not gonna change my mind when i was posting the X1 stories, you were complaining about why i keep posting them because you dont like those stories.,

im sorry dude, but i post those to find out what people think of said stories, good or bad, imo people just coming on and whining about these stories about how its just dogpiling on MS is pointless and rather stupid,

as A its not my fault MS has been in the gaming news for controversial reasons,

and B, Why even post in the story you dont like in the first place? all that does is just surface it back up for it to get more views.

smartly vote with your clicks and posts dude,

makes me understand how it annoys patrick when he posts about sexism stories and then people just comment and whine that those stories get added,

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By andrew2696

I think Steve Balmer, from what I've heard and read, is crazy as hell. And apparently a control freak. I don't think it bodes well for the early life of the Xbox One that a switch up like this is happening but I think anything goes long term.

Also something, something, DEVELOPERS!

Double also, John DiMaggio is the one true Steve Balmer.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First day on the job...

"What? Who took out all the DRM? I'll fix this!"

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

What

oh im not surprised when people argue with me, im going to sound like a nutjob here, but i welcome it, ,that doesn't mean i agree with them or that im trying to convert them to my thinking,

im interested in hearing why they stand behind their positions on a subject and what they think of the opposing argument,

in your case where you legitimately didn't know what i meant by that sentence and wasn't just being snarky, in my experience here, thats very rare to come across.

trying to think of what you're talking about,

if your referencing when i told you to feel free to keep commenting and its not gonna change my mind when i was posting the X1 stories, you were complaining about why i keep posting them because you dont like those stories.,

im sorry dude, but i post those to find out what people think of said stories, good or bad, imo people just coming on and whining about these stories about how its just dogpiling on MS is pointless and rather stupid,

as A its not my fault MS has been in the gaming news for controversial reasons,

and B, Why even post in the story you dont like in the first place? all that does is just surface it back up for it to get more views.

smartly vote with your clicks and posts dude,

makes me understand how it annoys patrick when he posts about sexism stories and then people just comment and whine that those stories get added,

I think you just replied to yourself, and why did you delete your comment?

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Look at how he's standing. Fucking beautiful.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By csl316

I can't WAIT til this guy starts talking down to us at press conferences.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like him.