• 71 results
#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3855 posts) -

http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/13/us-navy-serviceman-calls-xbox-ones-24-hour-online-check-a-sin-committed-against-all-service-members/

A US serviceman called Jay johnson had some strong words to say about Xbone and its policies

“The single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members [is] their surprising decision to require the Xbox One to receive a message from the “mother ship” every 24 hours,” wrote Johnson. “The reason that I am so infuriated about it is that I, and my brothers and sisters in arms, will not ever be able to play Xbox One when deployed or on detachment"

I really hope MS figures out a solution to this but may yet face more backlash if they let servicemen and woman around the world to an offline version but then dont give normal citizens around the world the same system.

This serviceman is leaning towards the ps4 but as we heard from don mattrick that "if people want a offline console they should get a 360" was the official response to the backlash about "always on always connected" .

#2 Edited by Voxus (338 posts) -

This guy is going to get reemed by his chain.

#3 Posted by Kung_Fu_Viking (710 posts) -

Dude should be too busy driving the boat to be playing video games.

#4 Edited by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

Get a PS4. Someone should let him know that 90% of the games Xbox has will be on PS4.

#5 Edited by MooseyMcMan (11129 posts) -

I'm not one to defend Microsoft on this, but didn't they say they were looking into a solution for service men and women serving abroad? If so, they did a poor job making that known.

Again, not defending Microsoft. It's still a poor situation.

#6 Posted by awesomeusername (4193 posts) -

@mooseymcman: Yes, they said that they're looking into ways to make exceptions.

#7 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

I could've sworn hearing that Microsoft said they'd arrange servicemembers to be able to play Xbox One without the checks somehow (even though I find that claim dubious as it would be logistically difficult for them to justify or accomplish for all interested servicemembers).

This week has been so hectic, though, that much of the rash, tactless things said by one Don Mattrick would've understandably outraged a lot of people that didn't follow the news more closely.

#8 Posted by Rebel_Scum (720 posts) -

Not funny and a fairly ignorant statement. There's a lot of different positions he could be in and they obviously get downtime.

#9 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

I mean, yeeeeeah, but just like, get a PS4. We know now it won't do that same shit, and will likely get every good game the Xbone does, with the exception of Halo and Forza. I'm not sure why servicemen are exempt from the "vote with your wallet" rule.

#11 Edited by binhoker (82 posts) -

Poor baby.

#12 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4974 posts) -

What's up, JAY JAAAAAY?!?!?

#13 Posted by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

@0blivion said:

This guy is going to get reemed by his chain.

I seriously doubt it. If he's an enlisted man who got into a commissioning program then he clearly knows how to get along well in the Navy and I'm sure he knows what he can get away with saying. His CO's probably don't give two shits about what he posts on Gamasutra. Plus nothing he said was particularly controversial.

#14 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

It's just pathetic. I typed two posts and deleted them both. What can be said? It's so seemingly unrealistic to lock part of your user base out completely, yet here we are. Hopefully word spreads by November and anyone in this situation doesn't go out to buy one of these things unknowingly.

#15 Edited by Hunter5024 (5705 posts) -

When I say this, I don't mean it as a form of disrespect to anyone in the military, but if they make exceptions to their system for certain people, I think that would be total bullshit. Why should some people have to put up with it when others don't?

#16 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2325 posts) -

Those are the policies, like it or not. Fucking deal with it by voting with your wallet.

#17 Posted by Milkman (16845 posts) -

WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA, XBOX?!

#18 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

I'm not one to defend Microsoft on this, but didn't they say they were looking into a solution for service men and women serving abroad? If so, they did a poor job making that known.

Again, not defending Microsoft. It's still a poor situation.

I think they did. Then again Mattrick also made that quip about folks in Nuclear subs when he was telling people to buy a 360 so who fucking knows.

#19 Posted by Nephrahim (1147 posts) -

I could've sworn hearing that Microsoft said they'd arrange servicemembers to be able to play Xbox One without the checks somehow (even though I find that claim dubious as it would be logistically difficult for them to justify or accomplish for all interested servicemembers).

This week has been so hectic, though, that much of the rash, tactless things said by one Don Mattrick would've understandably outraged a lot of people that didn't follow the news more closely.

I've heard people say they heard that (From Patrick here, for example) but not from Microsoft directly.

I assume they are looking into it, but if they can't figure out a way, that's just another group they're pissing off, and more reasons for people to hate their system. A lot of people in America take any slight to the men and women serving VERY seriously.

#20 Posted by YukoAsho (2061 posts) -

Sin? They consider themselves gods? Also, "service" men? Who are they serving? Since when is destruction and oppression a service?

He should buy a Playstation and play quietly on it.

They're in the service of our nation by defending her and her interests, often at grave risk of bodily harm.

I mean, yeeeeeah, but just like, get a PS4. We know now it won't do that same shit, and will likely get every good game the Xbone does, with the exception of Halo and Forza. I'm not sure why servicemen are exempt from the "vote with your wallet" rule.

To be fair, he probably just wants to make sure the rest of the troops, who might not be following this as close, are made aware of what's going on.

Get a PS4. Someone should let him know that 90% of the games Xbox has will be on PS4.

More like 99%.

"the boat"? Dude, they have shifts in the military, just like any other job. Gotta do something between missions and workouts, and TV reception isn't going to be good in the middle of the Pacific Ocean or the hills of Afghanistan.

#21 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

Remember all those assholes who always say "who the fuck doesn't have internet access"? I wonder what they'll be ignorant about next.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (14878 posts) -

I have a friend who is deployed right now and is proper pissed about the Xbox as well. Sony just won out with the service men and women on this one.

#23 Posted by TzarStefan (428 posts) -

Muricans and their xbox love, i will never understand.

#24 Posted by YukoAsho (2061 posts) -

@levio said:

Remember all those assholes who always say "who the fuck doesn't have internet access"? I wonder what they'll be ignorant about next.

Indeed. So let's tally the people who can't use Xbox One despite having money.

1. Emerging markets.

2. Rural Americans, particularly in mountain states or especially remote areas.

3. Every major country's military.

Wonder who they'll add next to the list of "go get a 360" groups.

#25 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

#26 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1855 posts) -

I work at a local comic book and tabletop gaming store in a Navy town and about 80% of our customers and regulars are Navy personnel. 7% after that are people in the Army, and the rest are locals. Let me tell you, some of them are livid about what the Xbox One is doing. The article is not incorrect; for many of them, video games are one of the only things they have on the ship to unwind with while doing a 60 or 70 hour work week out on deployment and this has more or less sealed the deal that they are going PS4 rather than Xbox One because they just can't play their games while out at sea otherwise.

#27 Posted by RetroVirus (1476 posts) -

I really feel for these servicemen and women. Finding out that your favorite franchise is going to be almost unplayable to you when you're so far from home must be really crushing.

#28 Edited by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

Sin? They consider themselves gods? Also, "service" men? Who are they serving? Since when is destruction and oppression a service?

This guy's on a boat motherfucker, he's on a boat. He need to get his COD on, since he ain't killin no fools on a boat.

#29 Edited by DEARPEPTOBISMOL (21 posts) -

“The single greatest sin Microsoft has committed against all service members [is] their surprising decision to require the Xbox One to receive a message from the “mother ship” every 24 hours,” wrote Johnson. “The reason that I am so infuriated about it is that I, and my brothers and sisters in arms, will not ever be able to play Xbox One when deployed or on detachment"

Oh jeez, I like how this guy seems to think that Microsoft has done this to personally inconvenience members of the armed forces.

#30 Edited by Hero_Swe (1152 posts) -

"Sin"
HA. That is all I have to say in the matter.

#31 Posted by Max_Cherry (1136 posts) -

Have some respect for our servicemen.

#32 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Sony could fuck up Microsoft even more if they came out and donated a bunch of PS4s to the military.

#33 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#34 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3211 posts) -

Xbone lost, we fucking get it. Stop complaining and buy a PC or a PS4.

#35 Posted by tourgen (4515 posts) -

Well, once there are exceptions there is a foothold for hackers to exploit. Even if it is something as crazy as a manual list - that would be open to social engineering. I'm sure that is MS's main concern.

Also, why special exceptions for certain groups? So check-ins aren't an absolute necessity, so where should that line be, really? Once one group is excluded from online checks others will wonder why they aren't excluded too.

Really the whole system seems so crazy because it's not natural and rational people necessarily tend to reject it.

#36 Edited by Mikemcn (6989 posts) -

@jouseldelka said:

He provides a service in that if a foreign nation decided to roll into your town and take over he would be called up to fend them off before you would. He "serves" you by doing a job that benefits you, without you having to put in the work. Hence "servicemen". The US military invading Iraq may not have been an example of "serving" but the soldiers involved were still serving the people at home by being on call when and if the people at home are directly threatened. Also, I doubt the average military-man's goal is destruction and oppression, the powers pointing them towards another state may desire that but as an individual, I doubt this guy wants to harm innocent people. He's probably in the military for the steady job or because he honestly buys into the belief that he's doing the right thing.

Criticize the guy for whining about xbox, not for being in the military.

Anyways... Buy a PS4, or PC, or WiiU, or any of a dozen other past consoles that have games you haven't tried. When this guy joined the service I doubt they made any promises about the xbox one being there. I hear the military is tough, you shouldn't expect videogames all the time, if ever.

#37 Posted by isomeri (1289 posts) -

If you join the military you should be prepared to cut back on some of the entertainment options in your life. And US military personnel is not a big enough market to get worried over.

#40 Posted by ThePickle (4184 posts) -

You heard it hear first, Microsoft does not support the troops. (SONY THIS IS FREE MARKETING ADVICE, FUCKING TAKE THIS BALL AND RUN WITH IT AND YOU WILL HAVE THE SOUTH AND MIDWEST UNDER LOCK AND KEY JUST DON'T TELL THEM YOU'RE JAPANESE AND ITS GOOD).

#41 Edited by Kung_Fu_Viking (710 posts) -

@rebel_scum: @yukoasho: @breadfan: Hey. Hey. Calm down guys. It's just a comment on the internet. You've been on the internet before, right? Sometimes people make non-serious comments.

#42 Posted by Nivash (241 posts) -

While I understand Johnson's frustration the whole part of the policy being somehow even worse because it also inconveniences soldiers is pretty ridiculous. Really, have we honestly gotten to the point where "Won't somebody think of the soldiers!?" is actually considered a relevant argument?

It's just silly.

#43 Edited by Jaytow (695 posts) -

@isomeri said:

If you join the military you should be prepared to cut back on some of the entertainment options in your life. And US military personnel is not a big enough market to get worried over.

I agree, expecting a console to be designed with these very specific cases in mind is kinda dumb, that guy just needs to get a PS4 and problem solved.

#44 Posted by testaxc (1 posts) -

It's easy to believe there are so many idiots in this thread with assumptions about how the military works (24 hour slave driving) or how they should live.

He can't speak for most of the military members; personally my work area is laughing at the Xbox and many of us that game have either already bought a PS4 or will do so later.

#45 Posted by Winternet (8021 posts) -

So get a PS4, what's the big deal?

#46 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

@winternet: But what happens if the "Japs" commit another Pearl Harbor?

Never Forget.

#47 Edited by Winternet (8021 posts) -

@fourwude: The PS4 is secretly a drone that can shut down all of America's defenses. What will you do when you can't trust your own systems? Spring 2015, Ubisoft brings you The Breakdown. Zoom out and oh my god it's multiplayer, look at all these dudes playing the game, like what! shit is crazy!

#48 Edited by kristov_romanov (459 posts) -

When I have been deployed sometimes the showers were cold water only, sometimes there weren't showers.

If you have electricity go for the PS4.

I hope most people signing up for a job that may take them to faraway lands, such as those that military or peace-keepers could go to, are aware that the accommodations aren't always 5 stars.

#49 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

When I have been deployed sometimes the showers were cold water only, sometimes there weren't showers.

If you have electricity go for the PS4.

I hope most people signing up for a job that may take them to faraway lands, such as those that military or peace-keepers could go to, are aware that the accommodations aren't always 5 stars.

Exactly. Most of the people I've known who've deployed spent most of their free time (which there isn't much of) watching movies, working out, talking to family, etc. I'm certainly not taking my Xbox when I go next year. There's no need for it, there will be other things to worry about, like doing a job.

#50 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Argh, either be joking or shut up.