What do YOU think of the DRM-free Xbox One now?

• 137 results
BRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By BRich

I just talked myself out of being annoyed about the 180. As long as there are download codes available for every release at retail, the only loss is family sharing (which may have been a glorified demo service anyways).

MrHadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's great for the people buying a Xone, but I am still getting a PS4, $100 less and way more RPG's/JRPG's.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I find the entire thing fishy as hell, and expect because they're removing this stuff, there were some back room publisher meetings that came up with what will probably end up being an equally unappealing solution to the "used game problem" that will just take effect across both platforms.

I'm neither more or less likely to buy an XBO tho, if MS shows me something I really, really want to play, I'l l get one. I thought Dead Rising 3 might be that thing, but based on what I've heard about it, I'm not entirely convinced that's the case now.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a few more things need to change before I am open to the 180. And yes I will be calling it that for the rest of this new generation. :D

-offer a SKU that does not include or require Kinect

-offer a more competitive price point OR give me a reason to pay the extra $100. Right now I see an equivalent or slightly lesser (based on specs) system with no defining features of interest to me that are not also offered by the PS4. I do not watch or care about television.

-allow independent developers to sell on the online store without a publishing deal. This is a deal breaker for me.

-make the actual box smaller

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I'm going to have to go with "Meh". It's still way more expensive (especially since you need Gold to even use it as a Netflix box) and I still don't want Kinect. It's...Fine, I suppose. If you like that sort of thing. I don't, personally. I think the PS4 has the more vibrant games landscape - particularly with the indie-frendliness.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#106  Edited By RawknRo11a

I feel like they got the point that gamers were putting out there. It made me comfortable enough to preorder one. Now the long wait until November...

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It doesn't improve what they already ruined about their image to me. They didn't take that out because people asked them to, they took it out because they were going to lose sales. If they could have, they'd have gone full steam ahead on this and I do not want to take part in that future.

I have my PS4 preordered and just waiting for launch day.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much better an in all , but I wont be able to buy 2 consoles next gen so I will stick to a PS4.....

Avatar image for secondpersonshooter
SecondPersonShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew they were going to back-peddle on this, from a business standpoint it was really the only way to have a fighting chance against Sony in the next generation. So, while it was expecting, it's a shame that I won't get to witness Microsoft going down in flames.

Seriously, I used to be a heavy Microsoft supporter, and not somebody to take sides in the console wars, but Microsoft has made it just exponentially easier to hate them over the past years, with all the bullshit they've pulled, or in this case, tried to pull. If they are this out of touch with how consumers will react to specific features, what kind of bullshit are they going to pull in the future? The Xbox 360 navigation is already 80% ads even for paying subscribers, and I don't know a single person who hasn't had to have their 360 replaced at least once, even though that's an old issue.

Point is, in my eyes, Microsoft has done way more evil than Sony, who has remained relatively consistent over their three consoles. I prefer the Playstation controller as well. Next generation is all PS4 and 3DS for me.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I think they ignored all the feedback they got for months and didn't change their minds until they saw their pre order numbers and compared them with the numbers the PS4 was reported to have.

Well to be fair, they probably thought the DRM thing would blow over since everyone thought Sony would have a similar policy and the PS4 wouldn't be $400.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's still $100 more, less powerful than PS4, and lacking any compelling exclusives.

Still fucks over anyone without an internet connection, though. Just a bit easier on those without a stable one.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to buy it anyway because of all the exclusives and games they showed compared to Sony, but this is just more good news so it a win win for me. Thanks to the Sony cry babies for making them change!!

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By jay_ray

Can I still play without the disk?

If I had to guess I think if you are offline you'll need the disk in to start up. If you are online I don't see it being needed assuming they still register the game to your account.

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#114  Edited By onyxghost

I pre ordered after the media brief and I'm still in.

aspaceinvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the console consumer may have shot themselves in the foot with the ranting. Yes you got what you wanted, but now we will not have that steam level of sales and price reductions. Plus you will loose out on any resale value of any games you trade in a GameStop etc will give you such a shit trade in value. Now we cannot share our on console games library with family members, nice one fanboys

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By shinjin977

@aspaceinvader: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/06/10/playstation-plus-e3-2013-sale-free-machinarium-uncharted-3-xcom-more/ sony has been doing those type of sales for the last year. Usually its been one or two games at 50% off at a time but they have recently been ramping up the number of titles. The idea that because Microsoft having anti-consumer DRM will somehow guarantee lower price point are false and kind of off base.

I had a 360 for 4 years this generation but for the last 2 years Microsoft have shown me that they can not be counted on for steam-level price awareness. Sony on the other hand have been rolling with that idea for the last 6 months. I think we all can pretty much agree that psn infrastructure just sucks. I will go so far as saying that's a fact, and yet in the last 6 months I have bought 23 games of off psn sales. That sounds real close to steam level impulse buy to me. Main while, my "main console" the 360 sit in the corner, not having anything to play. Microsoft have shown they will not sustain their system past launch and we cant trust them to sustain a steam level of market flexibility. I am not saying Sony have proven themselves but they are not the one claiming the future and yet they are the one trying for it.

(English is not my first language so excuse my grammar.)

MrJorOwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By MrJorOwe

@darji said:

I call bullshit. They never admitted any fault and still try lie their asses off. How can anyone trust this company anymore? Also this:

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

SO they will wait 1 or 2 years and they will try it again.... No MS your BS talk lost me totally.

Of course Whitten doesn't have the power to say "we will never try anything like this again", why would he say that?

Makes so much more sense to leave it open, and they can develop in the future when people are ready for it. Sony didn't say that they would NEVER change any of their polices.

I'll never understand why people love stagnation so much.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By MrOldboy

@brich said:

I just talked myself out of being annoyed about the 180. As long as there are download codes available for every release at retail, the only loss is family sharing (which may have been a glorified demo service anyways).

@jay_ray said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Can I still play without the disk?

If I had to guess I think if you are offline you'll need the disk in to start up. If you are online I don't see it being needed assuming they still register the game to your account.

Wait, am I missing something. I thought that since they removed the DRM requirements you will not be able to play without the disc in the drive. The games won't register to your account anymore, right? I thought that was the whole point of their DRM before. Require codes to be redeemed which would lock the game to your account and prevent resale.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOU!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Silver-Streak

I had both preordered since the press conferences regardless, so the changes don't really change much for me.

I think there are some real concerns about the fact that Microsoft seems to have no idea (or no control) on it's messaging and policies. It also has repeatedly shown the hubris that got Sony into trouble before, while Sony is showing consumer concern that hasn't been seen in the game industry before (That I can think of).

Regardless, I think people that can only or will only buy one of the consoles should consider the way the companies presented themselves over both their original announcement conferences and the e3 conferences, as well as what games they want.

(Also, the price is probably important, too).

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By beforet

Eh, I've been a sony bro since I was a wee boy. There was no real question about which one I was going to get, just like there was none this generation. I think it has a better chance to be competitive, which means the Sony needs to fight more and, hopefully, NOT fall into the same sort of arrogance they had with the PS3 (which I could already feel shades of with things like the game lending video)

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SonicBoyster

I think the console consumer may have shot themselves in the foot with the ranting. Yes you got what you wanted, but now we will not have that steam level of sales and price reductions. Plus you will loose out on any resale value of any games you trade in a GameStop etc will give you such a shit trade in value. Now we cannot share our on console games library with family members, nice one fanboys

Everybody on this board, neogaf, and reddit, all jumped on the 'stab microsoft with pitchforks' train just to spite them, without any actual consideration for what it would do to the next ten years of console policies and price points. They deserve exactly what they're going to get. I'm glad to stay on the PC side of things where we aren't massive babies about digital distribution anymore. This console was going to be less restrictive than Steam and now it's just another brick you can feed discs into. Huray.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#123  Edited By project343

Still too expensive. Still not as powerful as I'd like it to be. Still doesn't have the games I want. And to top it all off, without the always-on, they've effectively lost the console's core design identity.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still getting a PS4. While I'm happy for the people who want an XB1, I still trust Sony more than Microsoft at this point. Only thing I'm super bummed about, is not being able to play Killer Instinct. Here's hoping it's a timed exclusivity deal.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By MrOldboy

@elyhaym said:

Still getting a PS4. While I'm happy for the people who want an XB1, I still trust Sony more than Microsoft at this point. Only thing I'm super bummed about, is not being able to play Killer Instinct. Here's hoping it's a timed exclusivity deal.

KI is being published/is owned by Microsoft. Doesn't really seem like a fit for a PC release to me, but I guess could happen technically.

grimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft couldn't, at the E3 press conference, say "We're really shocked about all this bad-press. We better change this system," because it would have been suicidal. They had to peddle the message they had, go home, figure out what the numbers were and what was realistic, and make decisions. So, yes, their business model failed, but who cares? They tried something, people didn't like it, and they changed it. I'm not going to hang this over their head until the end of time just because they went for something new and people didn't want it.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It's too expensive and I like the idea that the ps4 is a potentially more powerful system, with better exclusives (to me). If they dropped the mandatory kinect and the price, I would consider it, but I don't like supporting this focus on tv tv tv tv tv tv tv tv sports calladuty that miceosoft seems most interested in.

Sony just made a better appeal to me. Not sure i want a ps4 right now, but I know I don't want an xbone.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

See kids, this is why friends don't let friends pre-order consoles.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not happy because I wanted to buy digital games, and now digital games don't have any sort of second hand value. Trading, sharing with 10 friends basically replaced renting and sharing in real life for me. It was far better actually because it was instant and no distance limitations.

Hard to justify buying a full priced digital game now when you know it's worthless after you beat it.

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

It definitely put me back on the fence as to what I want to purchase. Microsoft has some exclusives that appeal to me and I can see some cool things happening in the future that could utilize the Kinect and the cloud processing. That being said there are a lot of features in this box that just don't appeal to me. The TV and multimedia stuff for example. I don't pay for cable TV. I also find the interface very tired and I sort of just want something fresh and new.

From the little I have seen so far of the PS4 interface and its social network for gamers type feel, it seems like it would be something more to my liking. All that being said I really want to sit in front of both consoles before I make my decision. I also need to hold the controllers, because that is a big deciding factor.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a smart move for Microsoft but I still don't trust them. They've invested too much resources in order see the full vision of the Xbox One. No way they allow the console to function similar to a 360 for too long. I give it 2 to 3 years before these polices come back into place. I'm sticking with my original console choice and that's the PS4. I can put my $500 Xbox One dollars towards building a gaming PC to play Titan Fall.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still 100 bucks more than a PS4 and still an XBOX. Has some good looking games for it but the PS4 is a bit more powerful. I'll be sticking with Sony this time around, my 360 purchase was a mistake and needs to be sold.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They still have this box that is incredibly unappealing to me with most of its new functionality being completely useless to me (TV, Skype, the overlay stuff in general, Kinect) and zero exclusive games that are worthwhile.

I can play all the good stuff on something I already own (Wii U, PC) or I simply don't care for it (Dead Rising 3 ...seriously, could they make it look any worse?).

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pre-ordered the Xbox One when they announced it, and I still kept my order regardless of it being DRM or DRM-free. It's good news though.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@pr1mus said:

I think it's still 100$ more expensive for a camera i have no interest in.

That, and I still have a negative reaction to the Xone based on what they pulled. Yeah, they changed their attitude with the backlash, but they still pushed full steam ahead with it in the first place.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By FacelessVixen

Didn't care then it had the DRM. Don't care now that it doesn't have the DRM. Didn't care when it was being called the Xbox 720.

Not that I'm anti Microsoft, but the 360 is my one console generation commitment with them.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm still good with buying an XONE. At this point, I think I can buy PS4 almost close too launch. We'll see.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what they did was not enough.