• 64 results
#1 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

I'm pretty curious as to how the press will react when xbox ones break upon starting
DISCLAIMER:there will be broken consoles. Its electronics, mass shipments always have this. I am in no way defending or hating on the XB1 or comparing it to the PS4 in any way. I'm not making this topic to argue of whether sony or microsoft is better or which console is more likely to break or any of that childish nonsense. I am simply making it to see what you think the gaming media will do about the inevitable news that a console will break.

Just curious, what are your "bets" on the video game sites reactions? Do you think they will ignore it? Overblow it? Maybe microsoft will release a statement? What about Sony? Will they congratulate microsof on their release?

So what do you think?

#2 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

... why wouldn't you?

#3 Edited by Chaser324 (6390 posts) -

We can't even begin to speculate how many, but there will certainly be at least some unfortunate people getting broken Xbox One units the same way there was with the PS4 (which I generally think has been blown out of proportion by some). Social media and the internet being the way it is, you're guaranteed to see some first hand accounts of DOA consoles this weekend, and certain sites/blogs will jump on anything that can generate traffic.

#4 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (466 posts) -

I will be watching Kotaku to see if they post as many click-bait articles about Xbox failures (if there are any) as they have about PS4 articles.

#5 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

I see the console conspiracy theories are reaching truly epic proportions.

#6 Edited by MonetaryDread (2007 posts) -

I hear you on that one. There is so much system-war bullshit on the site lately that I am actually visiting the forums less than normal. I am wondering how many people on this site have ever had to deal with a system launch before.

#7 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

@chaser324: Well there is going to be some, there always is.(especially with massive shipped units. But I'm wondering if people will play it off or if people will overblow it for the sake of traffic.

oh? Don't know if "epic" is the word I'd use.

I will be watching Kotaku to see if they post as many click-bait articles about Xbox failures (if there are any) as they have about PS4 articles.

Well sites like kotaku post click-bait on many things, i think they time them tbh. Low time periods gotta keep those clicks strong.

#8 Posted by SomeJerk (3203 posts) -

Microsoft took forever to admit RROD even was a thing, but that was then. I like to think that they'll act as fast or faster than Sony with the PS4 issues, but I'm not expecting it because of how bad that entire company reeks of too many crooks spoiling the broth.

#9 Posted by flippyandnod (373 posts) -

Certainly. And people will say it's the RRoD all over again too. And most likely all for no reason that can be seen.

#10 Edited by Genfuyung (231 posts) -

My launch PS4 was broken out of the box so hopefully the xbox I'm getting will actually work.

#11 Edited by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

Certainly. And people will say it's the RRoD all over again too. And most likely all for no reason that can be seen.

Yeah even though the RRoD was problem for the 360 I can't imagine MS to not address that(although I believe they did already in the XB1 design alone).

Idk sony got the "blue light of death" treatment already, I don't expect the RROD(more likely a yellow ring or something JUST so MS can get that off the headlines), but I'm also kind of curious because of how the game sites reacted to Sony and how they will to Microsoft doing such things.

Maybe because both consoles are faulty there will be less headlines? or both of them merely being released? Hmm... maybe THIS time sites will provide help to those people instead of what happened with the PS4 and RROD

#12 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

<marketing guy voice> With Xbox One, you have twice as many HDMI ports that can break as the competition!

#13 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

just reminded the PS3 did have some problems, if you watched too many blu rays movies the lens would wear out. Kinda became somewhat known but not as heavily publicized as Red Ring of Death.

#14 Posted by Sergio (2079 posts) -

We'll hear about the issues. They might not be blown out of proportion because the PS4 already had been, so they'll treat this as it was expected.

#15 Edited by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

<marketing guy voice> With Xbox One, you have twice as many HDMI ports that can break as the competition!

Double the HDMI ports DOUBLE THE......wait. What would you need more than 1 hdmi port for.

#16 Posted by ripelivejam (3717 posts) -

#XBOWNED

#17 Posted by VALVeJunkie (15 posts) -

Giantbomb coverage should be booting the system without network connection, can't do anything. Windjammers scrub league and brad playing Dota 2.

#18 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

#XBOWNED

Yeah please don't spam with that garbage.

#19 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@sjwho2: Sony fans and/or Microsoft haters usually aren't very original.

I'm just glad these forums haven't turned into meme after meme by idiots who think they are funny or clever.

I'm sure there will be broken consoles. The Internet will have its share of meltdowns and people calling the problems RROD, the sequel.

#20 Edited by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

Of course. Why wouldn't we?

I certainly do hope that few Xbox Ones have issues, because gamers deserve some solid consoles. Hopefully the issues with the PS4 will be resolved soon and any potential issues with the Xbox One are just as quickly a thing of the past.

#21 Posted by avenlaya (60 posts) -

Yes. Remember, the most vocal will be the ones that had the misfortune of getting a broken console. The rest are too busy actually playing then posting on a forum.

#22 Posted by TheBlackPigeon (314 posts) -

I'm more interested in finding out what news outlets would do if the One (not Billy Gunn) had a failure rate of zero?

#23 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

@syed117 said:

@sjwho2: Sony fans and/or Microsoft haters usually aren't very original.

I'm just glad these forums haven't turned into meme after meme by idiots who think they are funny or clever.

I'm sure there will be broken consoles. The Internet will have its share of meltdowns and people calling the problems RROD, the sequel.

Me too, especially with the rather uneventful launch I'm seeing by both of them I can't get what all the fuss is about.

I'm more curious now if Microsoft actually put a red-ring of sorts this time. You'd think they'd make it another color or recognizable in another way to avoid the over-hype of a broken console.

#24 Posted by planetary (348 posts) -

@sjwho2 said:

@planetary said:

Double the HDMI ports DOUBLE THE......wait. What would you need more than 1 hdmi port for.

HDMI in (from your cable box) and HDMI out (to the TV).

That's right: this hardware is cable box middleware!

#25 Edited by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -

@theblackpigeon: Rockabilly!

There will be media coverage of broken consoles. There will be people in the comments sections arguing a) the real rate of broken consoles, b) the rate of broken consoles compared to Sony, c) the intentions of the writers who report on broken consoles, d) the integrity of the console holders, e) the integrity of the writers, f) whether this is the worst console launch evarrrrr, g) whether we should start a petition about something, h) whether coverage on broken Sony consoles counts as racism against the Japanese, i) whether broken consoles count as sexism against women, j) whether games that came out on broken consoles should be taken off GOTY lists, k)....

#26 Posted by BRich (431 posts) -
#27 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

There will be media coverage of broken consoles. There will be people in the comments sections arguing a) the real rate of broken consoles, b) the rate of broken consoles compared to Sony, c) the intentions of the writers who report on broken consoles, d) the integrity of the console holders, e) the integrity of the writers, f) whether this is the worst console launch evarrrrr, g) whether we should start a petition about something, h) whether coverage on broken Sony consoles counts as racism against the Japanese, i) whether broken consoles count as sexism against women, j) whether games that came out on broken consoles should be taken off GOTY lists, k)....

#28 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

considering the 2 reviews I've read for the console spend 80% of the review telling us how things will eventually work. It's pretty obvious to me the press has already given the xbox1 a free pass.

#29 Edited by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -

^ And the cosmic ballet... continues.

#30 Posted by spraynardtatum (2788 posts) -

You kiddin me? Gaming sites can't miss out on all those clicks! Just like last week, they're going to blow everything out of proportion and make it seem like the end of the world.

#31 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2662 posts) -

The PS4 even with the revision of breakage/failure counts going form 0.4% to >1.0%, that is still INCREDIBLY LOW. I cannot imagine Xbox One will have less breakage because even statistic are against that. So, yes, expect first day failures of a few different types - HDDs not working, firmware corrupting, or maybe even HDMI issues or other fit & finish issues. Will it have more breakage/failure...I doubt it.

#32 Posted by StrainedEyes (1323 posts) -

Well, here's the first one I've come across. A broken disc drive:

#33 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@strainedeyes: This reminds me, I'll actually have to check out the drive on mine! I honestly probably won't use the drive frequently (going all digital this gen), but I'd be bummed if I popped a Blu-Ray in after the warranty, only to find it didn't work.

#34 Posted by Nefarious_Al (133 posts) -
#35 Edited by rangers517 (164 posts) -

Another one in the comments. https://vine.co/v/hFpi0LDwhtv

Honestly, all those news stories for the PS4 were so incredibly stupid, but I hope the Xbox One at least gets the same treatment for a few broken ones. Just yesterday I went to Yahoo and the biggest story was about broken PS4s and it was just going off of some anecdotal evidence. Just so dumb.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5599 posts) -

You can always bet on the media to cover something negative.

#37 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

It makes a great story. It will happen.

#38 Edited by Vuud (1944 posts) -

I hope the XONE breaks during Friday's stream so we get 8 hours of Windjammers.

#39 Edited by Undeadpool (4920 posts) -

@sjwho2 said:

@planetary said:

Who cares?! DOUBLE!!!

@brodehouse Dooooes ANYbody wanna switch seats??

#40 Posted by x0mb13 (32 posts) -

Pretty sure I got a bad power brick. Got everything set up and the day one update installed no problems. First thing I did after I officially signed in for the first time was check my friends feed, then I clicked on "my apps" and everything shut off. Now there isn't any power coming to the console. Tried different outlets and all that jazz. If I unplug the power brick from the console I can get the orange standby light to come on, as soon as I reconnect it to the xbox the light fades out and it doesn't have power. Anyone else hear of, or have this problem?

#41 Posted by kishinfoulux (2276 posts) -

Curious if this is a Sony situation and it's just a vocal minority or if it will be an actual widespread problem. Hoping it's the former.

#42 Edited by Nictel (2399 posts) -

Microsoft bought their Blu-Ray drives from Lite-On: GG, generation over.

/ In all seriousness I hope this is also a <0,4% problem but I have had bad experiences with Lite-On CD/DVD drives in the past so I don't get why they didn't go with a more reliable brand.

#43 Edited by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

@planetary said:

@sjwho2 said:

@planetary said:

HDMI in (from your cable box) and HDMI out (to the TV).

That's right: this hardware is cable box middleware!

That sounds entirely redundant.....considering the only advantage would be not using the input button on your tv. Would be cool to do some PC stuff or something though.

@x0mb13 said:

Pretty sure I got a bad power brick. Got everything set up and the day one update installed no problems. First thing I did after I officially signed in for the first time was check my friends feed, then I clicked on "my apps" and everything shut off. Now there isn't any power coming to the console. Tried different outlets and all that jazz. If I unplug the power brick from the console I can get the orange standby light to come on, as soon as I reconnect it to the xbox the light fades out and it doesn't have power. Anyone else hear of, or have this problem?

Haven't heard of this, however bad power bricks are (luckily) a lot easier to solve than most issues you could have. Buying a new one shouldn't cost you too much, although it might be well to mess with it in the mean time.

(just be careful, electricity can do some serious damage).

@rangers517 said:

Another one in the comments. https://vine.co/v/hFpi0LDwhtv

Honestly, all those news stories for the PS4 were so incredibly stupid, but I hope the Xbox One at least gets the same treatment for a few broken ones. Just yesterday I went to Yahoo and the biggest story was about broken PS4s and it was just going off of some anecdotal evidence. Just so dumb.

I actually laughed because some people thought there ps4 was broken when it was just some resolution setting or the standby mode. A lot of the videos covered actually posted solutions/fixed ps4 by the time they posted the article, but I don't think people who post it really cared enough to do some digging.

@nictel said:

/ In all seriousness I hope this is also a <0,4% problem but I have had bad experiences with Lite-On CD/DVD drives in the past so I don't get why they didn't go with a more reliable brand.

That isn't really an issue. Brands in the electronics world(for parts like this) aren't different enough. Lite-On probably gave them the best deal per quality, most of the tech companies simply buy the parts and sell them at different prices depending upon manufacturing cost. Reason why there is a lot of TV brands but they all provide the exact same picture.

(in other words Lite-On is just another parts dealer, xbox-one manufacturing could be entirely different in this scenario, or could not. Outside of some really cheap companies, most of them are mid-range so it shouldn't be the problem.).

#44 Edited by Nictel (2399 posts) -

@sjwho2 said:

@nictel said:

That isn't really an issue. Brands in the electronics world(for parts like this) aren't different enough. Lite-On probably gave them the best deal per quality, most of the tech companies simply buy the parts and sell them at different prices depending upon manufacturing cost. Reason why there is a lot of TV brands but they all provide the exact same picture.

(in other words Lite-On is just another parts dealer, xbox-one manufacturing could be entirely different in this scenario, or could not. Outside of some really cheap companies, most of them are mid-range so it shouldn't be the problem.).

Umm, what now? That explains why TV reviews never mention picture quality since they are all the same. Oh wait, they don't cause it isn't true.

It sounds to me you read some article somewhere and only remembered half of it. Yes there are big part manufactures, so the laser in both Sony and Samsung products may be the same. However the chips may be from different companies entirely. It's the parts together that make the difference.

#45 Posted by Nomin (965 posts) -

They use Lite-On? My my. But so does Sony, right? Hopefully it won't affect too many people, but the worst thing about this is that it also has a good chance of grinding grooves into the discs themselves as well. MS cannot afford to have another RROD like hardware defect problem on their hands.

#46 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

@nictel said:

@sjwho2 said:

@nictel said:

Umm, what now? That explains why TV reviews never mention picture quality since they are all the same. Oh wait, they don't cause it isn't true.

It sounds to me you read some article somewhere and only remembered half of it. Yes there are big part manufactures, so the laser in both Sony and Samsung products may be the same. However the chips may be from different companies entirely. It's the parts together that make the difference.

Well the point was that you can buy the same exact electronic piece from another place and it would be a lower or higher price regardless of actual quality.

Its really just about the parts tbh, doubt it will make ALL that much of a difference.

Not that you couldn't find a dozen different ways to get around that though.

#47 Posted by Humanity (9011 posts) -

@strainedeyes: Hey thats still better than the poor folks that bought PS4's and they didn't even turn on out of the box, at least they can still download the games to play them.

#48 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

@humanity said:

@strainedeyes: Hey thats still better than the poor folks that bought PS4's and they didn't even turn on out of the box, at least they can still download the games to play them.

I'm sure some xbox ones had that problem too. All mass shipped electronics do.

#49 Edited by Humanity (9011 posts) -

@sjwho2 said:

@humanity said:

I don't know, I haven't read a ton of threads about broken XBO's yet. The day is young though - on the PS4 launch day I saw a lot of threads here talking about issues from faulty HDMI jacks to not not even turning on. By Monday we will see if Microsoft built a sturdier product, it's certainly bigger.

#50 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

@humanity said:

@sjwho2 said:

@humanity said:

I don't know, I haven't read a ton of threads about broken XBO's yet. The day is young though - on the PS4 launch day I saw a lot of threads here talking about issues from faulty HDMI jacks to not not even turning on. By Monday we will see if Microsoft built a sturdier product, it's certainly bigger.

I just read this on Reddit. So MS tests every box before it ships it? If that's the case it would prevent a lot of bricked consoles coming to consumers. Which rises the question why Sony doesn't do something similar.