• 62 results
#1 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4203 posts) -

If they announce a subsidized $200, $250, or $300 model, would you buy it?

What I'm wondering is that, would you have to get this subsidized model from like 'Time Warner/Comcast,' or Microsoft Store? They do this subsidized model now for the 360.

I ordered an XONE from Amazon, just in case I'm not able to order a subsidized model. I don't have cable, so I wonder if you would need like digital cable to buy that model.

Also, I bet they would announce a subsidized model like in July or August, before the November release date.

#2 Edited by Hailinel (24429 posts) -

Nope. It would still have the same DRM bullshit issues.

#3 Posted by mrfluke (5131 posts) -

@hailinel said:

#4 Posted by Warfare (1633 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@hailinel said:

#5 Posted by Waffles13 (609 posts) -

Subsidized by cable companies? Hell no.

If they said it was $200-300 and you are required to pay for 2-3 years of Xbox Live Gold, I would in a heartbeat, even if they said it was an increased price for "subsidized" subscribers.

I realize the math on that doesn't add up for them, but I can dream, right?

#6 Edited by Andorski (5287 posts) -

Nope. I never really understood the appeal of buying something subsidized. Phones are the only exception since your monthly bill will be the same even if you go with an unlocked phone. I rather purchase something outright at a cheaper price than to pay more for it over an extended period of time. I feel like that just makes sense, no?

#7 Posted by ajamafalous (11964 posts) -

Price is not the issue; it's all the bullshit surrounding and integral to the console itself.

#8 Posted by joshwent (2175 posts) -

Since the PS4 is $100 less on release, just wait a few months and Microsoft is sure to drop the price of the One as soon as they can after release. (still not sure why anyone would want that thing, though)

#9 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2365 posts) -

If it didn't have the stupid DRM I'd pay the full $500 without batting an eye.

#10 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

Nope. I'd still end up paying the same amount, if not more.

#11 Edited by Soap (3579 posts) -

If it was subsidized to like... -£300 then maybe... and then I'd use it as a door stop.

#12 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19331 posts) -

It'd be more expensive in the long run and still have the DRM bullshit.

No.

#14 Edited by StarvingGamer (8157 posts) -

Nope, it still wouldn't have any exclusives I gave a fuck about.

#15 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -
#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5640 posts) -

If I did get an Xbox it would just be for a small handful of games like the 360 I have now. So paying every month for something I only use a couple of times a year sounds stupid. Currently the only way I could see myself picking one up is if there's a few price cuts, after a couple years once they've built up a little collection of exclusive games I'd like to play.

#17 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3677 posts) -

If MS made kinect optional, would I buy an Xbox One? No.

If MS did away with their DRM, would I buy an Xbox One? No.

Why? Because MS WANTED to screw me out of my property rights, and then they decided to do it. Too late, that bridge is burned. Get some new executives, pull your head out of your ass, start caring what your customers think, and maybe we'll talk in seven or so years at the start of the next console generation. I don't even own a PS3, but I'm sure going to own a PS4.

#18 Edited by boj4ngles (287 posts) -

If you're primarily worried about value for your dollar then the price of the console is really insignificant compared to the DRM issues. On Xbox One you will have already spent the value of your console after 10 game purchases. Without effective options to buy used games or share games, you are going to be spending substantially more money to play then you do today. I've spent at least $1,000 on games for my xbox360, and probably more. A substantial portion of those were used. It'd probably have been $2,000 if I'd gotten everything new.

As long as MS keeps restrictive DRM policies, PS4 will continue to be a better deal.

#19 Posted by geirr (2539 posts) -

I might get it in a few years if there's any good single player exclusives to justify the purchase. So, no. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#20 Posted by Sticky_Pennies (2019 posts) -
#21 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Lol Microsoft is gonna struggle giving its XBoner away for free.

No one wants shit, even for free.

Long live Sony PS4. THE KING HAS RETURNED TO SAVE GAMING.

#22 Edited by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

Message to MS: remove the DRM bullshit and tons more people will buy your console, including me

#23 Posted by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I'd prefer the rumoured option that wasn't announced with the around £15 payments for 2 years. They'd need to provide some kind of alternative option to convince me to buy one as the £429 price is already bullshit, shouldn't £499 equal something like £330? Personally I would buy a subsidized option or some kind of payment scheme option.

As for the DRM it's like Microsoft didn't hear the uproar over the past month Sony did and clearly outlined how their policies were different while Microsoft skipped over it entirely. Did they make any of the DRM stuff clear?

#24 Posted by kkotd (297 posts) -

If it were $199 for but required 2 or 3 years of Gold... maybe... but they won't do something that cheap, not immediately.

#25 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4984 posts) -

$299

$12 a month for 2 years

#26 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1545 posts) -

Probably, depends on how it's subsidized. It has some good games, decent controller and Forza. $500 just for Forza at the moment is a little much for me. Most of the other Xbox One exclusive stuff is getting a PC release so I'll picking up those versions anyway.

The DRM/always online stuff doesn't really bother me, because I mostly just play multiplayer games or games that require internet anyway and I never buy used games. I've never really had the option to return or lend games for quite a while now, probably the last time I lent out a PC game was Morrowind.

#27 Posted by subyman (606 posts) -

Nope. I don't want the equivalent of a down payment on a damn console. Being locked into a service for 2 years while losing money is dumb. You can get a $35 one year live card from eBay. $499 is way too high for the Xbone. I'll do without and get a PS4.

#28 Posted by DEARPEPTOBISMOL (21 posts) -

Since most likely it would end up costing you more, I wouldn't do it.

#29 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

If it was subsidized through an Xbox live subscription I guess that would be a decent value, but honestly I'm just not interested in the Xbox One or the Xbox brand for that matter.

#30 Posted by colinjw (217 posts) -

I don't know if it would be worth it.

#31 Posted by schreiberty (207 posts) -

if there was a 300 dollar package that came with a 2 year xbox live contract, then sure, paying 520$ in the long run would be worth the 200 dollars at the time. But im completely not interested in any sort of cable package.

#32 Edited by KentonClay (250 posts) -

Probably if it was included as part of an internet subscription deal, but not cable.

I never buy used as it is and I don't live in Pigshit, Alabama, so the always online thing doesn't really bother me.

#33 Posted by adam1808 (1459 posts) -

Nope. All installment plans suck no matter how you spin it. Also I don't watch TV that much so the One is useless to me as all I want to do is play games and it's not designed to do just that.

#34 Edited by PolygonSlayer (426 posts) -

#35 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2530 posts) -
#36 Posted by ch3burashka (5046 posts) -

Depends on the subsidies.

My opinion on the DRM / always-on - yes, it fucking sucks, but if there's a power outage, I'll just switch to Steam for the time being. If it's working 90% of the time, I'd rather focus on that instead of bitching about the 10%. The used game DRM stuff is a bit more concerning, but Steam already does it and we're all pretty satisfied with that.

#37 Posted by AndrewB (7593 posts) -

Nope, because anyone who realizes the long-term pay increase over subsidized devices and still buys them is probably terrible with money, or has too much of it and could be putting the excess to better use.

#38 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1640 posts) -

No. I can't afford two subscriptions. Multiplatform games will also probably be better on the PS4 technically with less annoying restrictions. So what would I ever use the Xbox One for?

#39 Posted by Lowfyr (21 posts) -

It'd be more expensive in the long run and still have the DRM bullshit.

No.

#40 Edited by Khessed (110 posts) -

If, say, my triple-play subscription comes with a free Xbox One when I extend the contract (late in the cycle I mean, not right now) then I'm not gonna say no. I wouldn't pay extra though and in the end it'll probably still only be used for the little bit of TV I watch.

#41 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

short answer HELL NO

long answer there is no reason in hell anyone should buy a subsidized version of anything hey pay less now but pay way more over time is not a good deal I have no idea why anyone could think it is.

#42 Posted by Veektarius (4783 posts) -

If it's a recurring cost I'd consider taking on without the Xbox and not something I don't want, then sure, that's a win win.

Still, I've gotten by on one console for a long time now and I think this time, it's going to be Sony.

#43 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

It is not about the price. Hell I bought my Japanese 20GB launch PS3 for like 560 Euro XD

#44 Posted by golguin (3894 posts) -
#45 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Nope and even if I were to buy one it would be the full price xone without a contract.

#46 Edited by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

Depends on the subsidies.

Yeah, I can't really understand how anyone could say yes or no without any details.

#47 Posted by Jimbo7676 (715 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: no, I don't want to do some dumb contract and I don't really want one in the first place

#48 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

if i was to buy an xbox one (which i might still yet who knows) it would be the non-subsidised one

#49 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Subsidizing is the greatest scam ever. You're better off taking up a loan in a bank and buying it at a full price. The rates are probably better.

#50 Posted by TheKing (830 posts) -