• 129 results
TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Less-obtrusive battery compartment running AA batteries.

http://kotaku.com/is-it-too-much-to-ask-for-an-out-of-box-rechargeable-co-509193980

Get with the times man...Xbox go home.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really?

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm sure they'll release some form of add on rechargeable battery pack. If they don't I'm sure another company will. I bought one of these as I was fed up of the battery scramble. Best non-software purchase I made for the 360.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@nezza said:

I'm sure they'll release some form of add on rechargeable battery pack. If they don't I'm sure another company will. I bought one of these as I was fed up of the battery scramble. Best non-software purchase I made for the 360.

That's still no excuse for continuing to require either AA batteries or a third-party battery pack.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza said:

I'm sure they'll release some form of add on rechargeable battery pack.

It's 2013 ffs. They can spend 400 million dollar on a NFL deal and billions on r&d for a Kinect 2.0 peripheral...but not do away with the archaic use of batteries?

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was easily the most baffling thing about the new Xbox design. This controller is a minimum upgrade over the 360 controller. I have no idea why they didn't include an embedded battery. Even if it would cost more to manufacture MS would probably make it up in sales to PC users looking to upgrade their controller even if they don't own the console. Everything about this screams that they are cheaping out on manufacturing.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I live in an all Eneloop household so I'll just put a couple of those in the controller. It's a great system which I already use with my current 360 controllers. When the batteries in my controller run low I just put them into the charger and grab a pair of fresh ones. No need to ever plug the controller into anything.

It's sometimes pretty frustrating when I forget to charge my PS3 controllers and have to charge them with short USB cables while playing on the floor. Admittedly I could go out and buy a pair of 3 meter USB cables but that seems rather silly.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Anno 2013 would be an interesting game. Just saying.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frankly, I'm thrilled they kept the batteries. 360 controller dying? Just pop in the other rechargeable battery pack I have. Dualshock 3? Guess it's time to either hook it up to something and play with a wired controller (which is not archaic at all) or, given that I sit about eight feet from my PS3, just stop playing altogether.

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel: To an extent I agree with you, and it doesn't mean I like it. They'll be a few people upset about it, but the vast majority won't even think twice about it. It's less of a monetary risk for them to annoy x number of people (who'll likely still purchase anyway) then it is for them to spend x number of dollars per unit. There are a great many things happening around Microsoft (and business in general) that seem tailored to satisfying the wants of their partners - whether media, developers or 3rd party accessory makers, rather then bringing the best they could to the table for the end user.

The question is how much those decisions will actually impact the purchasing plans of the buying public. I suspect that when the console is actually sat on the shelves, then it will be very little. Just look at the numbers Windows 8 has posted despite vociferously vocal opposition to it.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still pro battery. My consoles are to far away from my chair to use charging cables while I play, so planning around the charge level of my PS3 controller or Wii U gamepad (what butt hole designed the awful battery for that thing?) is still a slight pain in the ass.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

http://kotaku.com/is-it-too-much-to-ask-for-an-out-of-box-rechargeable-co-509193980

Why would that be a bad thing? I still have my launch 360 pad, and yet I have had to throw away two PS3 controllers. I do not want to have to throw away a controller because the non-replaceable battery died.

Plus, I am sure that Microsoft is going to sell a rechargeable battery pack for the Xbox one. Sales of peripherals were a major source of income for Microsoft in the last generation.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

From what we've seen so far there's a port on the top half and another on the bottom. The one on the top at least just looks like a regular micro-usb socket. I really can't imagine that's there for anything other than charging.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer being able to change out the batteries in a few seconds and get a consistent amount of charge/play time out of them. Of the disparities in quality and performance between my two DualShock 3 controllers, the crappy battery in the one which came with the system has been the most annoying.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Friends of mine have paperweight PS3 controllers because the battery died. I bought rechargeable packs for my 360 controllers, they're all dead, long live AA.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'all are crazy. Much better than built in batteries where you have to junk he entire controller because they stop holding a charge. Bad for the environment and bad for the wallet. Assuming you are using battery packs or rechargeable AA I don't see the problem.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am pro-removable battery pack, but pack the controller with one! Don't require users to shell out another 20 bucks for a charge pack on top of a $60 controller.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By djou

I have had to throw away two PS3 controllers. I do not want to have to throw away a controller because the non-replaceable battery died.

Plus, I am sure that Microsoft is going to sell a rechargeable battery pack for the Xbox one. Sales of peripherals were a major source of income for Microsoft in the last generation.

I often hear this point raised about the PS3 controller but I have two early PS3 and they still work fine, battery need charging every few days but this is nothing out of the norm in my life where I charge an iphone and ipad daily. I bought the second controller on sale for $30 and I've had my PS3 for eight years. In contrast I have a Xbox controller for PC and I've spent at least $40 on batteries over the last two years (a combination of regular and rechargeable). At the end of the day this feature is a minor convenience that is not in the interest of the consumer. MS is clearly cheaping out on manufacturing to keep the cost down and then offering a battery add-on.
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By ProfessorEss

@isomeri said:

I live in an all Eneloop household so I'll just put a couple of those in the controller. It's a great system which I already use with my current 360 controllers. When the batteries in my controller run low I just put them into the charger and grab a pair of fresh ones. No need to ever plug the controller into anything.

It's sometimes pretty frustrating when I forget to charge my PS3 controllers and have to charge them with short USB cables while playing on the floor. Admittedly I could go out and buy a pair of 3 meter USB cables but that seems rather silly.

Same here. It is certainly the cheapest option and, in my opinion, by far the best option.

Whateves, I'm sure if MS went with a built in battery we'd have all the same people in here complaining out the other side of their mouth about that.

ps: ENELOOP RULES!!

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk

I play with my PS3 just outside of arms reach at the desk, and would play any console the same, but.. I prefer this single fine rechargeable battery over having to buy new batteries over and over and over.

I did that with a digital camera until I gave up and bought a DSLR. I did that with a mouse until I gave up and bought a corded one because "sorry guys, raid over, can't find any AAs with charge left according to the oxidized to hell connectors in the mouse and/or circuitry".

(My old DS3 lasts at least twelve hours of play, going by gametime on my last Dark Souls character, before begging for getitng hooked up. Doesn't feel like 12 hours, and I forgot - batterylife varies depending on the climate where you live. No wonder we only find meaty unique batteries dependable..)

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Both Nintendo and Microsoft have stocks in battery producing companies it seems..

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Winternet

Energizer has to get the big bucks.

Alekss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alekss

I'd rather use batteries that I know I can replace, than have my Dualshock die and never be able to use it again. I just played my PS1 a few weeks ago just to remember the old times, what happens if I wanna play my PS3 in 20 years? This is why I'd rather have the xbox battery slot.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Let's hope they aren't the giant pieces of shit that the current battery packs are. I usually have to keep it plugged it in until randomly it will decide to actually recharge.

Still, I prefer the options of replacing batteries over buying a new controller

McTangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

News just in: Electricity still used by videogame industry

TromboneTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it really a big deal? I can't believe some of the complaints that are coming up with this reveal. Nitpicking beyond belief. Are you also angry that it's HDMI only?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Y'all are crazy. Much better than built in batteries where you have to junk he entire controller because they stop holding a charge. Bad for the environment and bad for the wallet. Assuming you are using battery packs or rechargeable AA I don't see the problem.

This. My PS3 controller is shot because I can't take the battery out. I much prefer having separate packs. Then I can charge the pack and while I'm waiting throw a couple AA's in there. Really don't see how this is a bad thing.

Or, you can just avoid the whole thing altogether and get a wired controller.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By monetarydread

@djou said:
@monetarydread said:

I have had to throw away two PS3 controllers. I do not want to have to throw away a controller because the non-replaceable battery died.

I often hear this point raised about the PS3 controller but I have two early PS3 and they still work fine, battery need charging every few days but this is nothing out of the norm in my life where I charge an iphone and ipad daily. I bought the second controller on sale for $30 and I've had my PS3 for eight years. In contrast I have a Xbox controller for PC and I've spent at least $40 on batteries over the last two years (a combination of regular and rechargeable). At the end of the day this feature is a minor convenience that is not in the interest of the consumer. MS is clearly cheaping out on manufacturing to keep the cost down and then offering a battery add-on.

Well either I used my ps3 more than you (I say "used" because the system died on me), or the PS3 controllers do not automatically shut off charging when it reaches 100% and my habit of leaving the controller plugged in every evening killed the batteries too quick. Either way, I have spent $100 on controllers so far, and the rechargeable AA's that I put in my controller cost me $20 (I have never used one of Microsofts official rechargeable battery packs).

Either way, you mention that replacing a battery is a minor convenience that is not in the interest of the consumer, but I think the opposite is true. Having to throw away a perfectly good controller because a battery pack is visually ugly is anti-consumer.

Edit: PS. Eneloop are what I use as well.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I still have my launch (non-rumble) Ps3 controller working (and oh yes, it got extensive use), I don't know what you guys did with yours but...don't be a microsoft apologist. Batteries are a lot more harmful for the environment and don't excuse a $20 play & charge kit, a seperate purchase. Microsoft should enter 2006, when sony set the standards for rechargable controllers. These aren't fisher price toys you put batteries in.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I actually like the extra weight of a battery pack.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have my launch (non-rumble) Ps3 controller working (and oh yes, it got extensive use), I don't know what you guys did with yours but...don't be a microsoft apologist. Batteries are a lot more harmful for the environment and don't excuse a $20 play & charge kit, a seperate purchase. Microsoft should enter 2006, when sony set the standards for rechargable controllers. These aren't fisher price toys you put batteries in.

That's right! All you jerks that enjoy consistency, convenience, and don't want 12 feet of cable stretched all over your living room need to stop being fanboys and realize that the children are our future. The beautiful utopia of a built-in battery pack for everyone can not exist unless it floats on the blood of our adversaries. LEEROY JENKINS!

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I didn't know there are people that actually like not being able to use your own batteries. Fuck that enclosed battery nonsense.

Glad to see some Eneloop love in this thread. Those batteries are fantastic.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well when I started reading this thread I was outraged, but most of you bring up a good point. I've gone through countless fucking play and charge kits, but at least I didn't go through countless controllers at the same time.

Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tortoise

I think its great. I wish the controller also had a little extendable aerial that you can pop-up when you want to get better wireless reception.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, my PS3 controllers have up and died on me with not being able to replace the battery, so I could give two shits if Xbox still uses AA, I kinda prefer it.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All my controllers with rechargable non-replacable battery have eventually become wired controllers. Fuck that shit, I prefer the regular AAs.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

i think i'd rather have standard batteries, I have a pack of six rechargeable AA that I can weave in and out when they go dead.

Killerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Killerc
@djou said:
I bought the second controller on sale for $30 and I've had my PS3 for eight years.

You had your PS3 over a year before it came out? Congrats.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nitrocore

Damn, I was hoping that they were going to make it solar powered.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't know how I missed this the first time, but god damn it. Just damn it.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your old play & charge kits for 360 are incompatible, Microsoft issued new £20 play and charge kits that go along with £60 controllers.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By danmcn12

It's a way to make the controller cheaper. It will probably retail 5-10$ cheaper then the PS4 controller, which can be an appealing upside.

Fivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IGN daily fix said that you can buy a recharger now. Wow

Tobiass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No big deal, really.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll choose this over the PS3 controller set up any day. I took really good care of my PS3 gear and for no reason my controller just will not charge anymore. Only had it for like 2 years.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I was going to make a comment about not having to replace the entire controller when the built-in battery dies, but multiple people already have. Seriously, how is choice a bad thing? They'll make a battery pack that'll be significantly cheaper than a controller and you can just replace that when it inevitably dies instead of the entire controller like you'll have to with the PS4. The Xbone is shitty but not every single aspect of it is going to be worse than the PS4, get over it.

GozerOnline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Just buy Eneloop rechargeable batteries and you can use them in anything that requires AA batteries. They work just as well in 360 controllers as regular batteries, and you're not throwing out batteries OR controllers then. It's not rocket science here people.