• 57 results
#1 Posted by doooodman777 (4 posts) -

hey guys! check out this Xbox One interview from E3 !

i love Angry Joe, i think hes a real cool dude...

i thought the way "Major Nelson" dodges the questions was just rude... he takes the mic from Joe when Joe asks him about the 24hr check in.. (at about 11:30)

"Xbox One AJ Interview w/ Major Nelson"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo

#2 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

I hate Angry Joe, he always comes off as a douche in interviews

#3 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Angry Joe is a tosser anyway

#4 Edited by doooodman777 (4 posts) -

@somedelicook: ... thats cause he's asking questions none of the main media people will ask...

#5 Posted by Marokai (2909 posts) -

Eh, Angry Joe is usually an ass, but Major Nelson is also pretty up there in terms of assitude.

#6 Posted by Milkman (16688 posts) -

How the hell does this guy get an interview with Microsoft and Patrick can't?

#7 Posted by doooodman777 (4 posts) -

@milkman: lol AJ said he didnt have an appointment, he just went up and got an interview lol

#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Joe is an ass. Hes lucky Nelson didnt smash his head in with a Original Xbox.

#9 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2296 posts) -

@somedelicook: ... thats cause he's asking questions none of the main media people will ask...

Purposefully baiting the interviewee is a huge waste of an interview. He's not some guardian angel for gamers that is asking the hard questions, he goes on huge rants just to get page clicks.

Also, the whole "GRR IM AN ANGRY GAMER" shtick is the most beaten horse

#10 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4984 posts) -

This dude is lucky enough to be acknowledged by The ALMIGHT Major Nelson, You dont interview Major Nelson, he interviews you.

JK, I saw the interview and i believe he was in a rush to do a live show. Only 1 mic to talk to in.

#11 Edited by doooodman777 (4 posts) -

@somedelicook: id agree... but joe didnt bait... he asked good questions , like what about people without internet? or people in peru? or poland? .. and some others, i DOUBT anyone else asked him..

#12 Posted by Emoney244 (161 posts) -

Angry Joe is more an ass than Nelson.

#13 Posted by Hero_Swe (1132 posts) -

go away you shill of a bad youtuber.

#14 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7079 posts) -

I have never taken Angry Joe seriously and this video proves why. Let's not kid ourselves here. He isn't the fucking Carl Bernstein or Bob Woodward of games journalism. He was a douche to Larry Hryb and he's been a douche in most videos I've seen him in. And the Angry/Annoyed/Grumpy/Synonym-For-Mad Gamer thing is really tired.

@doooodman777: People (ex: Geoff Keighley) have already asked those questions in more respectful, but still curious and confused, manners.

#15 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@somedelicook: id agree... but joe didnt bait... he asked good questions , like what about people without internet? or people in peru? or poland? .. and some others, i DOUBT anyone else asked him..

The irony of course being that those people can never hear those answers because they can't check out his youtube page.

#16 Posted by punkxblaze (2974 posts) -

Good first posts, generic as fuck name. I don't think you've found your intended audience.

#17 Edited by Mrsignerman44 (1100 posts) -

Angry Joe could be a dick but man, I never knew that Major Nelson could be such an asshole. There are more tactful ways to dodge questions than going "Uhh...do you work for us? Hmm, do you? Then how would you know?".

#18 Posted by TruthTellah (8850 posts) -

It seemed like he handled himself alright considering how Angry Joe was acting. I mean, he took the mic and then handed it right back after giving his answer. There was only one mic; so, they shared it for the interview. Even Angry Joe mentions how Major Nelson was very courteous about it. Seems about as well as that interview was going to go.

#19 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

He hard balled him like a interviewer should have and it pissed him off because he is used to people kissing he's ass and letting him stay on message.

Joe held his feet to the fire unlike most game journalists

#20 Posted by Dot (163 posts) -

8:38

AJ: "You know how Steam has a bunch of great sales?"

MN: "Can you give us a game on Steam?"

AJ: "Currently no, I don't think you can."

MN: "Right, right, right, right."

AJ: "That's a feature that you guys have that you guys deserve all credit"

MN: "Is there a family plan on Steam?"

I thought that was pretty funny. :)

But I don't think he was being that rude, I mean AJ did show up without an appointment and talked over him a couple of times while he was trying to give answers.

#21 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

@milkman: By not taking no for an answer he ambushed him and interviewed him on the spot. They canceled their interview with Patrick and Patrick said ok. You see the difference in attitude there joe got his interview whether Microsoft wanted to give it or not Patrick got told no and walked away.

#22 Edited by Infinityslimit (121 posts) -

I don't see anything wrong with the interview. Yes he asked the hard questions but on behalf of most gamers. Something like that you rarely see.

#23 Posted by TruthTellah (8850 posts) -

@milkman: By not taking no for an answer he ambushed him and interviewed him on the spot. They canceled their interview with Patrick and Patrick said ok. You see the difference in attitude there joe got his interview whether Microsoft wanted to give it or not Patrick got told no and walked away.

This is so juvenile. Because Patrick had an appointment that was canceled and decided not to ambush Major Nelson, he's bad? Major Nelson wouldn't have done an interview with Angry Joe if he didn't want to do the interview, and he was relatively courteous about it. Even Angry Joe mentions how great he was and how cool it was that he got any interview at all. This is just an alright interview that didn't really get us anything different than what we already know. Take a page from Angry Joe and appreciate the interview for what it is.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

Angry Joe is my least favorite youtube gaming superstar, he's so terrible

#26 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

The appropriate way to treat Internet Joe, or any of his less-than-endearing ilk, is to either ignore him or punch him in the throat.

Either, or, really.

#27 Edited by Tru3_Blu3 (3203 posts) -

No matter your opinion on Joe, he wasn't bad at all during this interview. In fact, he admits his poorness on the subject and is trying to improve his tactfulness every year. Nelson was just being a snob, hating not being asked scripted questions from corporate game journalists like Geoff Keighley.

#28 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

No matter your opinion on Joe, he wasn't bad at all during this interview. In fact, he admits his poorness on the subject and is trying to improve his tactfulness every year. Nelson was just being a snob, hating not being asked scripted questions from corporate game journalists like Geoff Keighley.

THats just it...every year.It should not take more then one to be able to do a interview. ..And Nelson has full right to be a snob. Joe ambushed him.

#29 Posted by Disaya (290 posts) -

I hate Angry Joe, he always comes off as a douche in interviews

#30 Edited by TruthTellah (8850 posts) -

If you take Joe's word on him trying to improve his tactfulness every year, why can't you take his word on him saying how great Major Nelson was with him and how much he appreciated having as much of an unplanned interview as he got? Joe clearly has a different impression of this interview and Major Nelson than the people responding to this.

#31 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

@truthtellah: When did I say Patrick was a bad guy ? I simply pointed out a very basic difference in attitude it's a common thing in games journalism. It happens because they rely on these companies for access they couldn't afford to go out and buy all the games they review. most game journalist simply will not push that hard because they need these people more then they need them. A common tactic in journalism is to ambush people and get them off guard to get information they wouldn't normally get.

I'd call Patrick average average isn't necessarily bad I do believe Microsoft canceled most of their interview appointments.

By the way I relies Joe didn't get any information we didn't already have but he tried and it's also true nelson could have simple said fuck off it's the risk you take when approaching people when they aren't ready for you.

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (8850 posts) -

@darkdragonmage99: If you hold Joe in such high regard, why don't you put more stock in his own comments on the interview? Joe basically apologizes for the fact that he still needs improvement on his tact in interviews, and he praised Major Nelson for giving him the interview and being so courteous during and after it.

I bet that if you asked Joe, he'd have more respect for someone like Patrick than you're giving him, as Patrick does a fine job asking whatever questions he feels need answering.

#33 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

The appropriate way to treat Internet Joe, or any of his less-than-endearing ilk, is to either ignore him or punch him in the throat.

Either, or, really.

I've said I wouldn't buy one before, but if Major Nelson punches someone in the throat on camera, I promise to buy an XBONE.

#34 Edited by Grilledcheez (3947 posts) -

I thought Major Nelson did a great job answering the questions and he seemed pretty kind, maybe a little stressed out but who can blame him?

#35 Posted by notdavid (837 posts) -

Angry Joe is a talking penis. Fact.

#36 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

I remember he did the same with Geoff K. from spike.

#37 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@kittyvondoom said:

Either, or, really.

I've said I wouldn't buy one before, but if Major Nelson punches someone in the throat on camera, I promise to buy an XBONE.

I think if he punched Joe in the throat the X1 would be the most bought item in the world.

#38 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3677 posts) -

Major Nelson grabs the mic, Jack Tretton drops the mic.

And Joe did an awful job of wording those questions in ways that would allow Major Nelson to wiggle out of answering them. He should have stuck to hard questions, and left the "but people are disappointed with you" opinionated crap in his first reactions video.

"What does a 24 hour connection verification do for you that wouldn't work with a 48 hour verification, or a weekly or monthly verification?" And then when Major Nelson went off talking about shared games and the cloud, come back with "And none of those things would be possible with a 48 hour verification? Then, no matter what his reply, go to the next question.

"When a 3rd party game appears on both Steam and Xbox One, will Microsoft make sure that they are always matching Steam's prices for digital downloads of the same game, or will Steam continue to offer prices considerably lower than consoles?"

Why can't people every ask questions like that?

His best moment was getting Larry to strongly suggest that they would be willing to work with publishers and developers if they didn't want DRM in their games. I'm seriously doubtful we'll ever see that happen, but at least we can all come back to this video and laugh.

#39 Edited by JasonR86 (9659 posts) -

I just watched it. The interview felt a little rushed and awkward. Which I'm sure is hard not have that happen in such a setting. But in terms of how the two dudes acted Joe came off as a little cocky. I think he's aware of the fact that he's kind of small in a big setting and is trying to pump himself up. So he comes off both kind of cocky but also kind of compliant depending on how his interviewee responded. It all sort of came to a head when he kept interrupting Major Nelson. It became less of an interview and more of an interrogation. Major Nelson did fairly well but didn't respond well to being interrupted and feeling interrogated. And I don't blame him.

I don't think either were wrong or came off bad exactly. But I think it was up to Joe to control the interview and he didn't handle himself very well. And interview isn't time to editorialize and to throw out personal opinion. It should solely focus on the interviewee. If you want to get tough answers to tough questions you have to ask questions and not throw out commentary with questions interwoven.

#40 Posted by huntad (1931 posts) -

I really don't understand all of the hate for this guy. In fact, you guys sound like asses when you call him names for no apparent reason. I will only admit that he seems like a beginner/amateur when interviewing. He seems nervous. Fucking props for hammering Nelson with questions that need answers ... even though they wouldn't get answers regardless.

#41 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

LOLOLOL, so if you are not a lawyer, you cannot talk about laws of the land. So, I should become a lawyer to talk about consumer rights?

Yeah, I don't know how this warped thinking has permeated into Microsoft. It's so blatant that it is astounding.

This whole spectacle needs a new word invented for it because hubris doesn't begin to cover it.

#42 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I seem to have only patience for one of these angry gamers and that's one of the first, if not the first, the AVGN. All others just get on my nerves.

#43 Edited by TheHT (11155 posts) -

I fucking hate how this guy always has excuses for his shit.

So it's just you, fine, work with that you have. There's no reason you need to set up a 15 minute sit-down interview before you can prepare.

#44 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

If you look through his loud obnoxious presence and act, you can see a hard balling interviewer who cares about games the way WE do. He doesn't act cool about it, being all diplomatic and cracking jokes like all other interviewers including GB staff.. He's cutting to the chase and asking the questions that matter to us.

He hard balled him like a interviewer should have and it pissed him off because he is used to people kissing he's ass and letting him stay on message.

Joe held his feet to the fire unlike most game journalists

Exactly that.

#45 Edited by ninjalegend (428 posts) -

You know, I don't understand the controversy surrounding this issue. I also do not understand when the media says "It's bad messaging.". It is not bad messaging. The message that needs to be delivered is bad. Look, the future may be always online. If you would let the games that need to be always online because of persistent worlds be that without requiring all games to do that, this is a non issue. The single player games that don't require it can be picked up without that worry. Any way you spin it, Microsoft is taking away your choice. No media spin can change that without deception.

My parents along with many others, I'm sure, hammered this point home. "Do not do anything you will regret or that will embarrass you." With this simple directive, you can go through life without a guarded tongue in business or home life unless keeping a secret. They are getting what they deserve. That is why there are so many people so up in arms. Another saying you may have heard is it is never to late. Change your horrific polices and embrace your consumer. Then you will not have to fear microphones so much. Also, you then can welcome some of the Microsoft fans (like myself) you have alienated back to the fold. And not be so bothered by enraged internet people who are lashing out because they feel offended.

#46 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Nelson is a true power player in interviews. Looking at his handshake at the end and how he answered his questions. I don't watch AJ but he would ask MJ about a the infrastructure "limiting" something, and MJ would put "limiting" in another context.

#47 Edited by darkdragonmage99 (740 posts) -

@truthtellah: Never said I did I don't even know who Joe is beyond that interview . You fail to get my point I don't disrespect Patrick he does a fine job of a game journalist of course I'd rank game journalists as the second to bottom on the totem poll but that's my prerogative now isn't it.

#48 Posted by Humanity (9070 posts) -

You should see that video where Angry Joe almost cries because Geoff Kieghley didn't reserve like an hours time for this huge time YouTube celebrity at last year's Spike Video Game awards.

#49 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Eh, Angry Joe is ok when he's talking about games so long as he's not pissed off. Whenever he's tries to be pissed off it seems really forced.

But he really sucks at interviews though. I'm gonna go watch the interview now, I already know it's gonna be a Geoff Keighley repeat.

It's not though...I'm disappointed. Also what's up with the Joe hate?

#50 Posted by Storms (341 posts) -

Scumbag Major Nelson, a screenplay:

Angry Joe: "So it's actually easy to simply turn off the 24 hour online check-in-"

Major Nelson: *snatches microphone* "Oh, it's very easy? How do you know we can 'simply turn it off', are you on the developer team for the Xbox One"?

Joe: "Well, no-"

Nelson: "Yeah, that's what I thought"

-A Short Time Later-

Microsoft: *simply turns off the online check-in for the Xbox One*

Fin

...Based on a true story...