Xbox One External HDD Question

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By realph

I've got a bus-powered external HDD connected to my Xbox One which is in Instant-On Mode. The problem I'm having is every time I boot the console, the HDD is not recognised and I have to unplug and replug the external HDD.

I thought there was something wrong here, so I called Xbox Support and the guy basically confirmed to me this is how it's supposed to work and I must replug my external HDD on every boot, which is ridiculous.

When I challenged how ridiculous this was, he went on a passionate tirade about how all the complaining last year (the 180) ruined the Xbox One and how everything had to be reworked at the last minute hence the reason is so "broken". Yeah, he actually used the word broken.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else uses an external HDD on the Xbox One and if they have to plug it back in every single time they boot the console up?

Thanks.

UPDATE: Looks like this fixed it.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yea, I never have to plug and unplug the drive. It works just fine. I'm wondering for what you're actually using it, like media-player or game installs. Either way, I never have to think about that stuff anymore. So really, if your HDD is maybe too many TB, or some smaller and foreign manufacturer, it sounds like you're having a bad time and there's not much you can do about it.

Like I have this 3TB Seagate, and I haven't had any problems. Blue light flashes a bunch when its installing is about all I've seen.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#3  Edited By isomeri

I've got a pretty basic USB-powered 2TB drive plugged into my Xbox One and I haven't had to think about it since first setting it up.

realph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07: I'm using a bus-powered Seagate. This one http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ILALU9G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Really weird that I'm experiencing these issues.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@realph: I noticed that your is a 2.5 inch drive, while mine should be 3.5 inch. So like yours is sort of for laptops, or whatever. Even so, I'm stumped. That sucks you're having these issues, duder. :/

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

@blu3v3nom07 said:

@realph: I noticed that your is a 2.5 inch drive, while mine should be 3.5 inch. So like yours is sort of for laptops, or whatever. Even so, I'm stumped. That sucks you're having these issues, duder. :/

That 2.5" vs 3.5" is only a concern when you're talking about mounting a drive internally into a machine, otherwise the difference is in rotational speed and access times. Beyond that...the Xbox One and PS4 both have 2.5" internal drives anyway. Slow ones.

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By lowestformofwit

I never have to reboot mine.

I'd say it's a HDD compatibility problem rather than anything to do with the Xbox.

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Yakumo1975

Another external HDD user here. With my XBOX One I use a Western Digital Passport Ultra USB HDD as seen below

No Caption Provided

That works just fine. The little white LED is always flashing when the HDD is not actually active but apart from that it's fine.

EDIT: Just noticed that realph had his setting set up wrong :) Oh well. Still, I do recommend the WD Passport Ultra HDD. Pretty rock solid and comes in some pretty colours :p

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@yakumo1975: I'm also using a "Digital Passport Ultra" and can vouch for it. Like you said the white LED keeps flashing even when the console is turned off or in standby mode, but I've got the HDD stashed away so that it's not a problem. I think I paid something like 75 bucks for a 2 terabytes.

FajitaBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FajitaBoss

I'm using a seagate expansion 2tb, no problem whatsoever...

GweedyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Yakumo1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri: $75? Good price. PC stuff is pretty expensive in Japan. I'm sure my 1TB model was about that much.