#1 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3727 posts) -

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/07/psa-xbox-one-is-not-backwards-compatible-in-dev-mode/

Some rather unsavory people are taking advantage of the fact that every Xbox One can be used in developer mode, and they're using it to trick people into essentially bricking their consoles.

They're doing this by telling people that they can enable backwards compatibility on their console, by unlocking developer mode, changing the sandbox ID to [REDACTED] and then then restarting their console. This will NOT enable you to play Xbox 360 games on your Xbox One, but it WILL cause your console to be stuck in an endless boot cycle, and be rendered inoperable.

MS has been pretty good about taking care of people who have issues with their Xbox One so far. I have to wonder how they're going to handle people gullible enough to try this. If I had seen this floating around without warning, I would never have believed it was a way to enable backwards compatablity. On the other hand, I wouldn't have believed that doing something in dev mode would ruin your entire console either.

#2 Posted by crithon (3218 posts) -

hehe

oh boy, well word spreads fast on little things like this.... To be honest, it could be patched out sooner then we could imagine, but in the mean time I doubt there's enough people willing to dick around with their systems to try to become garage engineers. People still dick around with their laptops till those things become bricks and they can be as expensive as an Xbox one.

But man, Microsoft cannot do anything right so far.

#3 Edited by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -

Are Microsoft able to patch out the dev mode?

#4 Posted by bjorno (1416 posts) -

yo, thats real funny.

#5 Posted by Sargus (726 posts) -

I imagine the problem would be that Microsoft has already promised that any retail Xbox One can become a developer console.

#6 Posted by crithon (3218 posts) -

possibly, maybe a pretty half ass attempt at it that will be hacked 2 hours later. I mean, ORIGINALLY, Your suppose to sign up through Microsoft to have a password into Dev mode and really everything has to be that way for the longest time. To them it'd be no different then voiding a warranty on changing the HDD for a SSD. Some sense of tighter control in order from preventing people from electrocuting themselves for being stupid for keeping the console plugged in as they poked inside with a screwdriver.

#7 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

so if I change my sandbox ID to redacted it'll play 360 games?

#8 Posted by jimmyfenix (3854 posts) -
#9 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (618 posts) -

Not just 360 games, but all regular xbox games as well

I've been playing Voodoo Vince all day!

#10 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

@sargus said:

@jimmyfenix said:

I imagine the problem would be that Microsoft has already promised that any retail Xbox One can become a developer console.

They could still have that and patch it out. All they would have to do is have a manual opt-in process where you download an unlock key to open up the dev mode again. That way only the people who want to have access to that will have it, and it will keep people from stumbling into it and messing around with things they don't understand

#11 Posted by fisk0 (4104 posts) -

@sargus said:

@jimmyfenix said:

They could still have that and patch it out. All they would have to do is have a manual opt-in process where you download an unlock key to open up the dev mode again. That way only the people who want to have access to that will have it, and it will keep people from stumbling into it and messing around with things they don't understand

Until the prank is updated to get people into getting a dev key and getting people to change the sandbox id again. People who "stumble over" the dev mode right now would probably find a way, I think it's a good thing to have in there for the Xone to have a decent indie game scene.

#12 Posted by big_jon (5727 posts) -

Some people are really stupid...

#13 Posted by Akyho (1638 posts) -

Dudes, I can fix your computer make it run faster less space taken up on your hardrive AND get youa girlfriend.

Just delete the Win32 folder and you will be better.

Is basicly the same prank.

#14 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Well those people should have known better. Don had it right, you're backwards for wanting backwards compatibility. See what happens!?

#15 Posted by ThunderSlash (1723 posts) -

@example1013 said:

Shiiiiiiit, I got this copy of Gun Valkyrie just waiting to be played.

On topic: Yeah this is real shitty. I wouldn't even call this a prank, it's just bad intentions.

#16 Edited by Korwin (2864 posts) -

Hilarious.

#17 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Only people dumb enough to buy an Xbox One would actually try something so idiotic.

Amurica.

#18 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Looks like they just got Xboned.

#19 Edited by John1912 (1884 posts) -

Hmmm think I saw this prank on IMGUR. For about 1/2 a sec I considered trying it, but I knew there was no way it actually worked. Figured BS and ignored it.

#20 Posted by flippyandnod (386 posts) -

Yeah, MS should have done the dev mode setup differently. To make your unit will require you have a signed dev key file. They should have checked for the presence of the dev key file on a plugged-in USB key before letting you enter a sandbox ID.

#21 Edited by Evilsbane (4618 posts) -

Throw your console at a wall if you did this it shouldn't have to live with you anymore.

#22 Posted by joshwent (2203 posts) -

Well, I guess it's time to throw out all the work I've done on my new government intrigue themed XBox game, "[REDACTED]". Thanks M$!

#23 Posted by HatKing (5947 posts) -

@example1013 said:

Also, Genesis games. I just dusted off my copy of Rocket Knight. Just ram the cartridge into that shit.

#24 Posted by OneLoneClone (78 posts) -

i heard you can revert from demo mode back to normal if you wrap a towel around it

#25 Posted by Sterling (2281 posts) -

@oneloneclone: This only works if you clean the system first. And the only way to make sure you get all the insides clean is to submerge it in soapy water for 20 minutes. Give it a nice good soak.

#26 Posted by DFL017 (136 posts) -

Put your xbox in the microwave for extra graphics.

#27 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1585 posts) -

But this doesn't tell me how to play my copy of Gal Gun