Xbox One used

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Is it a bad idea to buy an Xbox One used?

Let's say the price is very right, because it's from a friend. What are the drawbacks to not having the receipt of purchase, registered serial number, etc? Does anyone on the boards have a used Xbone?

Thanks

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Can you not get that stuff from said friend?

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He ALSO bought it used, so I'd be buying it third-hand.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Corevi

@jakkblades: As long as you don't ever have any problems that would require contacting Microsoft Customer Service (a nightmare even under perfect conditions) you should be fine.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

He ALSO bought it used, so I'd be buying it third-hand.

Now that is risky business. IF the price is exceptionally right, then I'd warily go for it.

But man if that thing is more than $250 then I'd say you should pass. If it had been simply bought used from a trusted friend then no biggies but third hand buying of pricey electronics is not a game you want to be playing.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakkblades

@humanity: That's about where the price is at ($220). I have the same reservations, however.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What are you so worried about? It's not going to bite you.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity: That's about where the price is at ($220). I have the same reservations, however.

$220 is a hell of a price for an XB1 that I assume hasn't seen much use. The machines themselves seem to be built pretty sturdy and I haven't heard a lot of stories about them failing in any catastrophic way. Likewise they haven't been out long enough for the console to receive a lot of abuse in the form of improper care - things like people placing them on a carpet, inside a stuffy entertainment center, or simply being in a household with a lot of pets whose fur tends to clog up the fans.

Assuming it comes with the full assortment of cables, controllers and the Kinect, this is a decent deal. Although it sounds bad to buy it third hand, how much use could it have possibly seen? If anything it sat on a shelf unused for a majority of the time since it was sold off so quickly. If you somehow get unlucky and it somehow breaks within a year, then I think you still might be able to get it repaired under manufacturer warranty without a receipt, and even if you have to pay it will still come out less than if you'd buy the thing new.

So I would cautiously put in a vote for buying it - but make sure your friend hooks it up and shows you that everything works top to bottom before you hand off your money.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jakkblades

@humanity said:

@jakkblades said:

$220 is a hell of a price for an XB1 that I assume hasn't seen much use. The machines themselves seem to be built pretty sturdy and I haven't heard a lot of stories about them failing in any catastrophic way. Likewise they haven't been out long enough for the console to receive a lot of abuse in the form of improper care - things like people placing them on a carpet, inside a stuffy entertainment center, or simply being in a household with a lot of pets whose fur tends to clog up the fans.

Assuming it comes with the full assortment of cables, controllers and the Kinect, this is a decent deal. Although it sounds bad to buy it third hand, how much use could it have possibly seen? If anything it sat on a shelf unused for a majority of the time since it was sold off so quickly. If you somehow get unlucky and it somehow breaks within a year, then I think you still might be able to get it repaired under manufacturer warranty without a receipt, and even if you have to pay it will still come out less than if you'd buy the thing new.

So I would cautiously put in a vote for buying it - but make sure your friend hooks it up and shows you that everything works top to bottom before you hand off your money.

Thanks for the considered advice. I think I'm going to take it. The price is hard to beat, and I certainly trust my friend to be playing me square.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

as long as i could see it power up and boot into a game, i'd take it. Times are tough and some people are willing to part with things like that for some quick money.

CrimsonTriden7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You will be fine buying a used Xbox One.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

id say your fine. the systems arent that old anyway.

TWISTEDH34T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So did you end up buying it? And are you enjoying it?