I am only a few hours into my new campaign but man I am digging it. I am doing a normal Ironman run with several second wave options checked. Here are a few thoughts:
- The AI seems smarter. I have had Sectoids run off back into the dark only to try to flank me through unopen doors, ect
- The new maps are huge and sprawling, with a ton of varied environments
- The way the game serves you maps seems smarter, I haven't had any repeats so far whereas before i felt like I saw the same 10 maps over and over
- There are urban UFO crash maps which are super tense having to make sure a ton of rubble doesn't have anything hiding in it
- You are timed in acquiring Meld so if you don't reach it before the timer runs out it is useless. I don't like that but it is a smart design decision. You really need to weigh speed vs safety if you want to hit both containers of Meld in time
- The AI move about the map and the spawn bugs don't seem to be a thing anymore.
- Earning medals to give to your soldiers is awesome, i am still unsure how they are earned but it is a fun system
- Each container of Meld you activate is 10 meld
- Converting a guy to a mech soldier is 10 meld, each suit of armor is 40 meld
- The genetic stuff seems fairly cheap 5-15 meld so far
- There seems to be several genetic options you need to unlock
Man the mech soldier seem super over powered, my first guy started off with 13 health. This really makes me nervous about the balance of the late game as normally the end of the xcom campaign was a victory lap.
It looks like there are a few new second wave options, I have the option "Training roulette" on which randomizes perks about squaddie level. I thought it would make it feel more "random" and real to have everyone with separate skills. I have a heavy medic who has incredible AIM which is cool it might be a bummer when it comes to my Snipers though.
New Second Wave options:
- Training Roulette - skills after squaddie are random
- Save Scum - If you save, miss a critical shot you can reload and get a new seed for a chance to hit
- Aiming Angles - Soldiers get an aim bonus the closer the are to flanking an enemy