Yay! Crash Caused Corrupted Save -Ironman-

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

Jup. The PS3 isn't quite cut out for XCOM Enemy Within. The game causes my box to freeze-up frequently. I just zapped the Overseer in the penultimate story mission, when it froze on my flight home.

Trying to reload the game, it's stuck on the loading screen. Guess I've got a corrupted savefile. Because I'm an Ironman afficionado, I guess that concludes my time with Enemy Within. I love the friggin' game. With all the cool Second Wave options and the new Council and Exalt missions, it's like double the game it was before - and that was GotY material.

Yet - I can't keep playing a game, if it means I'm always at the risk of losing all progress to technical issues. Jesus, it's already Ironman. So fair warning, if you can, don't play the game on PS3. At least if you enjoy playing it on Ironman. What a fucking bummer! I didn't even get around to raid the Exalt base yet. Fuck!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Seppli

So, I found a solution to my problem. I still got a clean file on the cloud. Sure, I'll lose like 4 hours of progress, I guess I can live with that - this one time. So I deleted my corrupted save file.

Now when I want to download the cloud save, it doesn't allow it. It says I can download it once every 24 hours. Next tomorrow moring 5 AM.

What the fuck? Can anybody explain this to me? What am I to do? This is insane to me. What's the friggin' point of cloud saves, if I can't access them at anytime from anywhere?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Oh man, that sucks dude. That game is hard enough without having to replay stuff you've already beaten.

supermulletman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yeah that really sucks, at least if your Ironman run is anything like mine was then the latter half of the game is the easiest. Your guys kind of become unstoppable killing machines at some point. No idea what the deal is with the cloud saves though, maybe its to control load on their servers?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that really sucks, at least if your Ironman run is anything like mine was then the latter half of the game is the easiest. Your guys kind of become unstoppable killing machines at some point. No idea what the deal is with the cloud saves though, maybe its to control load on their servers?

I guess. I could download all the other files. However not the XCOM ones, they're greyed out. I guess because they got updated early this morning. Oh well, I'll finish up tomorrow, hopefully.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lost a couple save files the first week (the first day actually) the game came out. From my experience with the game the auto-save appears to make the game run far worse than it should; causing slow down, crashes, freezing and loss of save files. All my problems went away when I turned off the auto-save and manually managed a few files myself. That's not an option in Ironman mode is it? I haven't tried it myself.

And if I played the game for more than 2 hours at a time it would lockup on the next load screen it encountered. The game's not that well optimized on the PS3. A shame.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TrafalgarLaw
@seppli said:

So, I found a solution to my problem. I still got a clean file on the cloud. Sure, I'll lose like 4 hours of progress, I guess I can live with that - this one time. So I deleted my corrupted save file.

Now when I want to download the cloud save, it doesn't allow it. It says I can download it once every 24 hours. Next tomorrow moring 5 AM.

What the fuck? Can anybody explain this to me? What am I to do? This is insane to me. What's the friggin' point of cloud saves, if I can't access them at anytime from anywhere?

Complain to the developers. They impose additional restrictions on save files by inputting a 24 hour delay onto using them, this is (in their eyes) to prevent save-file hacking, throphy farming, generally cheating through save files. From the top of my head, a lot of RPG's do this. For example any Final Fantasy game.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

@therealmoot said:

I lost a couple save files the first week (the first day actually) the game came out. From my experience with the game the auto-save appears to make the game run far worse than it should; causing slow down, crashes, freezing and loss of save files. All my problems went away when I turned off the auto-save and manually managed a few files myself. That's not an option in Ironman mode is it? I haven't tried it myself.

And if I played the game for more than 2 hours at a time it would lockup on the next load screen it encountered. The game's not that well optimized on the PS3. A shame.

Nah. The point of Ironman is that there's *No Backsies!*. It saves after every action the player takes, which seems to cause the freezing issue first and foremost. Yet - Ironman is the only way, that the somewhat compulsive perfectionist that I am, can take all the curveballs the game throws at me in stride. Hopefully I'll be able to complete my playthrough tomorrow without further issues. That'd be swell.

I think the old gen consoles were put to the brink with XCOM. Whenever the AI calculates its moves, things get awfully chuggy, and it doesn't run particularly smoothly to begin with.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Complain to the developers. They impose additional restrictions on save files by inputting a 24 hour delay onto using them, this is (in their eyes) to prevent save-file hacking, throphy farming, generally cheating through save files. From the top of my head, a lot of RPG's do this. For example any Final Fantasy game.

If anything, I'd blame the hackers. If such measures keep hackers away from games like Dark Souls 2 on consoles, I guess I'm begrudgingly okay with it.