Posted by dudeglove (8477 posts) 7 months, 8 days ago

Poll: Is Yoshi worthy enough to star in his own game? (159 votes)

Yes he is, you're the piece of puppy 67%
Kick Yoshi to the curb, he's a piece of puppy 22%
Mario Maker 2015, puppy everything else (results) 11%

Given the vitriol that Gerstmann has spat out on multiple podcasts, videos, and this year's E3, I think it's high time the GB community passed judgment on whether Yoshi has enough star power to hold it on his own. For reference (thanks @turboman):

And yes, before someone comes snarking in, I'm fully aware of the previous games, but will 2014 be just a re-hash of the Year of Luigi?

#1 Posted by Humanity (10420 posts) -

Yoshi is the Bed of Chaos of Mario games.

#2 Edited by Yummylee (22658 posts) -

No less so than any other Nintendo mascot character.

#3 Posted by Gamer_152 (14124 posts) -

I love Jeff but he's way wrong on this Yoshi thing. Yoshi has a fucking great jump and totally merits his own games.

#4 Edited by crithon (3462 posts) -

the problem with debating this is that Nintendo isn't making a game to rival other mario games. All of these character games are so radically different from mario, hence why Wario's games can get so bizarre that they eventually make Warioware and Rhythm heaven seem like logical next steps. Let Yoshi be that children's illustration game where you can experiment with different gameplay mechanics..... except they keep removing the Fuzzle Wuzzle SFX chip effect :(

#5 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11485 posts) -

If Toad has his own game now (captain or not), then anyone can have a game.

I'm just waiting for Waluigi to have one. He deserves it.

#6 Posted by kindpixel (2862 posts) -

Yoshi's awesome, and if you can't see that Jeff is playing an act (not saying he doesn't like Yoshi games) then you need to slow down.

Maybe I'm biased, but Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is #2 on my top-10 list of games, ever. Super Mario World being the only one able to top it.

#7 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Baby Mario held Yoshi back, but a Yarn Yoshi in his own Wooly World is doubleplusgood!

#8 Posted by Corevi (5762 posts) -

Yoshi sucks, Every Yoshi game would be better if they were Kirby games.

#9 Posted by Ungodly (57 posts) -

I have hated Yoshi since Super Mario Kart. Had no problem with him in Mario World, but everything after he irritates me... probably because I always played Koopa Troopa on Mario Kart, and he was almost always my rival.

#10 Posted by csl316 (9734 posts) -

Yoshi's sucked since Smash 64.

#11 Posted by development (2764 posts) -

That video was great. Saw that O'Dwyer crash live. You can't forget your guest's name and still be mad when the interview gets crashed.

Also Yoshi sucks

#12 Posted by MychDfrosty (6 posts) -

@mooseymcman: I second that notion. I've actually been playing with the thought of Wario and Waluigi starring in a Wario Bros game where you use both characters to steal/find treasure, ala Wario Shake It and any other wario platformer.

#13 Edited by Sammo21 (3706 posts) -

Honestly, he's just as deserving as any other Mario character. I'm not the biggest Yoshi fan, but if Wario can get his own games then Yoshi is fair game.

Also, I love Vib Ribbon...but come on...its getting hyperbolic in here.

#14 Posted by Video_Game_King (36271 posts) -

Yoshi's Island, everybody? Yoshi Story? Those were good games. That DS one nobody remembers?

#15 Posted by TheMasterDS (2194 posts) -

He already has. It is too late to stop him.

#16 Posted by Relkin (175 posts) -

Yeah of course he is. I really don't get all the hate. Yoshi's Island was/is a terrific game.

#17 Posted by joshwent (2409 posts) -

Jeff's hatred of Yoshi is a running gag, not thoughtful criticism. It kind of worries me that duders here might have their own opinions of a game skewed based off of little more than a joke.

#18 Posted by nasp (493 posts) -

yes because yoshis island is the only game in the series i actually wanted to finish.so i actually like yoshi better then mario.

#19 Posted by bartok (2594 posts) -

There has never been a Yoshi game before.

#20 Posted by Jeust (10905 posts) -

I have nothing against Yoshi but his game seems to me like a cash grab on Kirby's Epic Yarn.

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (12571 posts) -

I'm just waiting for Waluigi to have one.

#22 Posted by bartok (2594 posts) -

@jeust said:

I have nothing against Yoshi but his game seems to me like a cash grab on Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Funny you say that because Epic Yarn was originally going to be a Yoshi game.

#23 Posted by believer258 (12301 posts) -

Yoshi's Island was a pretty good game back in the day.

#24 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Oh BTW, Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy, mofos.

#25 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1626 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Jeff's hatred of Yoshi is a running gag, not thoughtful criticism. It kind of worries me that duders here might have their own opinions of a game skewed based off of little more than a joke.

Exactly. I'd never heard anyone complain about Yoshi (in real life or on here) until the jokey Yoshi's Island beef happened. He's a popular Nintendo character -- in my experience more popular and well-known than Kirby, at least in the west. I suspect those (by many accounts middling) Yoshi's Island sequels probably sold really well.

Yoshi's Island, everybody? Yoshi Story? Those were good games. That DS one nobody remembers?

I actually don't have a whole lot of problem with Yoshi's Story, but I feel like you're hurting the cause by opening up that can of worms.

#26 Edited by MeatSim (10964 posts) -

#27 Edited by freakin9 (1173 posts) -

Jeff marks Super Mario World as the best Mario game. Which introduced Yoshi. Therefore, Jeff is part of the problem.

All I remember about that old Yoshi's Island game was that it had to be made by people on acid. These latest games don't evoke that, at all. I didn't mind the old game as just some weird game Nintendo decided to make one day. But Yoshi, in general, is unnerving to listen to.

#28 Posted by AlisterCat (5781 posts) -

Everyone mentions Yoshi's Island, but never mentions Yoshi's Story for N64. I enjoyed that game so much.

#29 Posted by Gaff (1924 posts) -

@joshwent said:

Come on. The only way this joke will die is when it has been completely and utterly run into the ground.

#30 Posted by Superkenon (1516 posts) -

@joshwent said:

You should give duders more credit. He's not saying anything that'll skew anyone beyond what they already think. I'll play a Yoshi game any day, any time, and I'll laugh my ass off every time this gag surfaces.

These battle lines were drawn long ago. It's just funnier now.

#31 Posted by Amikron (346 posts) -

Well I mean, Yoshi's Cookie was such a great game, obviously the character deserves more!

#32 Posted by Marcsman (3322 posts) -

Yoshi is ok in my book.

#33 Posted by ajamafalous (12222 posts) -

Yoshi's Story was dope as shit

#34 Posted by xyzygy (10091 posts) -

Totally, I really like Yoshi!

#35 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4559 posts) -

The bigger question is if Waluigi is