#1 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

I always loved the actual gameplay mechanics of Yu-Gi-Oh, never really watched the show, so hearing this is coming out next week gets me excited. I wanted to get the original on XBLA but when I eventually got an Xbox it was delisted from the market place. Now that it is coming out on both platforms I will get it on my preferred platform, PS3. Anyone else picking it up on PSN? Would love to add some fellow Yu-Gi-Oh players on my friends list.

#2 Edited by Snail (8470 posts) -

I played a couple Yu-Gi-Oh! games on the Game Boy Advance and really liked it back then. I also had a Yu-Gi-Oh! game for the PS2. I remember having a good time along with a friend with a Yu-Gi-Oh! game for the PS2, and I think it was that one.

So Yu-Gi-Oh! is still an active franchise?

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@Snail said:

There's something called Zexal, so I'm gonna say "yes".

#4 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@Snail: I don't really know how active it is. I thought I read a while ago it was shut down but here comes another game. I just remember playing the GBA games as well and liking them a lot.

#5 Posted by HHAP (211 posts) -

Didn't know this was going to come out on psn. I might give it a try since there hasn't been any recent ones on the handhelds.

#6 Posted by Snail (8470 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Snail said:

I don't get it.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Snail said:

I don't get it.

I don't, either.

#8 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (864 posts) -

I might, if it's at a reasonable price. I liked the GBA one a lot.

Reading it's only launching with a 1000 cards, compared to 4500+ from Wii/PSP versions. That's just lazy or DLC-nickle and diming.

#9 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

I will be downloading it again on XBLA as it sounds like it will be free since I bought the original. I would say that if you really want to play a Yu-Gi-Oh! game the DS versions are far superior to this version. Decade Duels is a VERY stripped down game with not a whole lot to offer. The game, at least the original Decade Duels also starts you off with a terrible deck and the only option for single player is to play a tournament, which has players with much better decks.

So basically the only options for obtaining new cards is to grind it out as you will gain new cards even while losing, or to pay for digital packs of them.

#10 Posted by Snail (8470 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: What?! Is that official? It looks like fan art. Good Lord. Why do they still call this series Yu-Gi-Oh! though?

And now I'm in the mood to play some Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Is there a demo available for this game on PSN?

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

@Snail:

It's completely official.

#12 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@bobafettjm: For $10 I'm willing to give the base game a try.

#13 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

@msavo: It will probably be fine, just know that it is very basic before going in and there won't be any expectations like I had before I had originally bought it. It is incredibly faithful to the rules and cards of the real game however, so the actual base game is still fun.

#14 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@bobafettjm: Glad it's faithful to the rules. I remember one of the GBA games I bought back in the day with a story mode had some weird ass rules. Basically ignoring sacrifices and using types of cards against each other. It sucked.

#15 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

@msavo: I also hated that about a lot of the older games. It does seem that they are now using the official rules for the new games though.

#16 Posted by Atlas (2401 posts) -

Was there ever a properly good Yu-Gi-Oh! game? I never bought any of the cards, but I really liked the anime when I was younger and I played quite a lot of Dark Duel Stories for Game Boy Colour, but that game was broken in a lot of ways and boring as shit in others.

This game was not on my radar, but if someone made a really good Yu-Gi-Oh! game I'd totally give it a try, especially since I found out last year that I really like the Magic The Gathering games that have been showing up on Steam once a year.

#17 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Tag force 2 was great and the GX gba game was awesome.

#18 Posted by Solh0und (1680 posts) -

There was a time where I thought Yu-Gi-Oh was awesome but that has now been replaced by MTG. I'm curious to see how this turns out though.

#19 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (864 posts) -

@msavo said:

@bobafettjm: Glad it's faithful to the rules. I remember one of the GBA games I bought back in the day with a story mode had some weird ass rules. Basically ignoring sacrifices and using types of cards against each other. It sucked.

You mean Yi-Gi-Oh Reshref of Destruction? That's the one I played basically.

Like you'd summon a monster with 4000+ attack power and it got defeated by a 200 bug type monster, because a wind type was weak against bugs or something.

#20 Posted by sodacat (212 posts) -

@Snail said:

There are stores in Japan that literally have an entire isle dedicated to Yu-Gi-Oh. Pokemon, meanwhile, gets a couple binders.

#21 Edited by Akyho (1549 posts) -

I have played a bunch of Yugioh games, the ps1 Forbidden memories, horrible with weirder rules than the one of GBA games. I have -played five of the GBA Yugiohs. Also enjoyed and played Stardust Accelerator on the DS almost completed it...except a survival thing of fighting 5 guys in a row with the same Life points you were left in the last match.... yeah hard.

Aswell as I have a 5 tins of the physical cards, an Ancient Gear Crusher deck of sorts more so a Machine Earth deck........yeah I was in deep with Yugioh. Played the physical card from 2007 to 2009. The entire game became stupid, the things your opponents human or AI are stupidly powerful.

Which brings me to 5Ds, I baught it on xbox arcade and have played alot of it. No were close to my dream deck which is the deck I have in real life as you earn points slowly.

The AI is stupidly hard, you have a random mash of cards vs their perfectly honed deck. You grind enough to get 1 win and then slowly work on trying to get another, slowly getting better cards. I even bought some of the DLC stuff, there is not much and they dont benefit you much so thats not bad...nor is it good.

I still enjoy it and play around with it from time to time..

@TrafalgarLaw said:

I might, if it's at a reasonable price. I liked the GBA one a lot.

Reading it's only launching with a 1000 cards, compared to 4500+ from Wii/PSP versions. That's just lazy or DLC-nickle and diming.

There is no DLC and 1000 cards. Thats about accurate for the time it was released, also they cut out about 2000 absolutely useless cards. Cards that are from the first run of Yugioh were the rules were simpler and the Atk levels are smaller, back when 1500 atk was the strongest, When I was playing 1800 atk was common, a few card with 2000 or 2100 with drawbacks existed. Then came such things as Cyber Dragon, the Monarchs and Tree born frog.

Also seriously, are you going use all 4000+ cards? I have about 5 thousands and they all are not unique. The number complaint isnt much.

This video also explains one series of YUGIOH serise that also became part of the actual Trading card game. I quit around this time.

Synchronisation was introduced in 5ds and jesus it realy ruins the game. AI's or humans do 15 things to summon a ton of 4000+ monsters.

Now there is fucking Black fusions. UGGGGGGHHH the rules behind them are more convoluted and stupid, glad I quit long befor.

Overall its a good game.......I am just in too deep.

#22 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

The new ones are nothing like how the original game was, which sucks because it used to be pretty cool.

#23 Posted by 49th (2545 posts) -

I had Yu-Gi-Oh! on PS1 and I could never get passed the first battle.

#24 Edited by Akyho (1549 posts) -

@49th: That game is not reflective of what Yu Gi Oh games are. It is weird and hard, also a very early in the evolution of Yugioh.

#25 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2148 posts) -

I would even though I've had it on XBLA since it came out but none of my friends will get it on PSN so nah. I love the game though, even if it's super bare bones. I do wish there were more cards and the ability of online trading would be nice, but that didn't stop me from pouring hundreds of hours into it.

#26 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

@TrafalgarLaw: That is exactly the game that pops into my mind immediately.

#27 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (929 posts) -

I have it for XBLA but I might get it for PSN since online is free. Also YuGiOh is so broken since they introduced whatever bullshit is in 5D's. Some sort of fusion thingy... you know!

#28 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

A few things I thought relevant to this thread:

1. Beyblade still exists. The new series has the best opening 30 seconds ever, where a beyblade asteroid falls to earth and crows a cyberplant which SPROUTS LIVING BEYBLADE. It's called BeyWheelz.
  2. My entire knowledge of Yu-Gi-Oh is predicated on that online show. Which is pretty funny.
  3. The card game's alright, but like all card games, way too complex now it's over a decade deep.
  4. In other "that's still around" news, there have been 7 seasons of digimon. Season 5 featured a street fighter who's power was to evolve his digimon by punching larger ones in the face. That happened.
#29 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

1. In other "that's still around" news, there have been 7 seasons of digimon. Season 5 featured a street fighter who's power was to evolve his digimon by punching larger ones in the face. That happened.

Oh man I didn't know digimon lasted that long. I remember the first one clear as day, barely remember the second one and saw the first episode of the third season and when I saw cards being swiped into their devices I was out.

#30 Posted by smokeyd123 (300 posts) -

@Snail: @msavo: @bobafettjm: You guys could just jump on Dueling network on PC. It's free and has all the cards, though it's filled with mostly terrible people.

Barring that, If this is anything like the PSP games, then it sounds fun.

#31 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@IrrelevantJohn said:

I have it for XBLA but I might get it for PSN since online is free. Also YuGiOh is so broken since they introduced whatever bullshit is in 5D's. Some sort of fusion thingy... you know!

All I know from this 5D series is that in the cartoon they ride motorcycles in the future when they duel and yeah there is a weird fusion thing or token system or something odd compared to the original series. I hope they have a lot of the original cards in the game. I want to get my Blue Eyes White Dragon and Dark Magician on.

#32 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@smokeyd123: Is it seriously free and legit? Do you have a link?

#33 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (929 posts) -

@msavo: They do have original cards but if you don't use the syncro fusions then you are pretty much screwed. iirc Yugioh 5D's Decade duels is hard as balls for any beginners.

#34 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

There was this PS1 game you could import your cards using the numbers. It was cool

#35 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Tylea002 said:

1. In other "that's still around" news, there have been 7 seasons of digimon. Season 5 featured a street fighter who's power was to evolve his digimon by punching larger ones in the face. That happened.

Oh man I didn't know digimon lasted that long. I remember the first one clear as day, barely remember the second one and saw the first episode of the third season and when I saw cards being swiped into their devices I was out.

Dude, season 3 was the best season! Cards whatever, but the group of main characters held their own with the kids from season 1.

Actually, Digimon's been pretty consistantly good as an anime/kids cartoon for a decade, but the latest 2 seasons (Which are called Xros Wars, haven't seen that much of them but I've seen enough) are a real real drop in quality. Because, you know, I'm a dude that likes to keep abreast of the quality level of Digimon's current season. It's how I am.

#36 Posted by SMTDante89 (2475 posts) -

@msavo said:

@Tylea002 said:

Yeah, I remember not really caring for the third season/series during the first few episodes, but if you can I'd say it's worth a watch. Things got surprisingly dark in that season as time went on.

#37 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2148 posts) -
@msavo said:

http://www.duelingnetwork.com/

It's pretty fun, but it's really easy for someone to cheat. Basically like dueling someone in real life so you have to be careful who you play against.
#38 Posted by egg (1339 posts) -

Why no Vita edition? :<

#39 Posted by Tylea002 (2291 posts) -

@Turtlebird95 said:

@msavo said:

http://www.duelingnetwork.com/ It's pretty fun, but it's really easy for someone to cheat. Basically like dueling someone in real life so you have to be careful who you play against.

Yeah, Dueling network is great. Compelx, not exactly a game but the closest you can get to the same experience of actually playing against others in real life over the internet. If you play against people you know, or at least internet "know" then lots of fun will be had.

#40 Posted by bobafettjm (1254 posts) -

I have tried Dueling Network on a couple of occasions, but I do not like the interface much, or the fact that people cheat a lot.

#41 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

So far so good. Bought the game, got a crappy deck but lucked out and won two tournaments in a row. I have some cards to work with now.