Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon 2

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 30, 2014

The sequel to Playground's open-world Forza spinoff brings the Horizon Festival to a much larger locale: southern Europe.

Xbox 360 version?

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't an Xbox One (yet...), and I was curious if anyone had played the 360 of Horizon 2. I loved the first one, and would love for the 360 of this to be good. If anyone has played it, what are your thoughts on it?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By bigjeffrey

Digital Foundry

Here is the DF face off 360 v XB1 if your into the technical stuff, they say it's still worth checking out though.

Sumo Digital hasn't gone out to slavishly trace out the Xbox One blueprint. Certainly in terms of overall technology, that would have been a fool's errand - in pure technical terms, the 360 version cannot hope to compete. The beautiful physically based rendering of Playground Games' version is gone, replaced with a plainer, more flat representation of in-game lighting. Similarly, the remarkable simulation of varying weather conditions has not made its way across to Xbox 360 - weather in the last-gen world is uniformly sunny up against varying conditions on Xbox One from bright skies to lashing storms, incorporating often stunning atmospheric rendering. The gradual shift of the time of day is included, however, but time-lapse comparisons in like-for-like spots demonstrate that Xbox One is a world apart from its last-gen counterpart.

Forza Horizon 2 represents something of a full-stop for the franchise on the Xbox 360. Sumo took on the excellent Playground/Turn 10 codebase but there's the feeling that it couldn't push the level of technical achievement further, resulting in a revised game design that made the most of the technologies and assets available, in the final analysis producing a very different game to the Xbox One showcase. It's a fine title worthy of the hardware it is running on and the pedigree of the studios involved - but it is perhaps more of a sideways step than a full-blown sequel. That game does exist, however - and it is spectacular - but it does remain exclusive to Xbox One.

Shorn of its show-stopping next-gen features, there's a very real danger that Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox 360 could have been a profound disappointment - a forlorn shadow of the original that ticks all the relevant boxes, but lacks purpose, relevance and soul, rather like the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions of Watch Dogs. However, when code arrived, we sat down to play - and hours later we were still there, even though it quickly became evident that the structure of the game was very, very different to the Xbox One flagship. And arguably, that's what makes Forza Horizon 2 on 360 worth checking out if you've yet to upgrade to a new console.

Loading Video...

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Cheers for that. I've read that, but I was just curious if anyone had played it. Seeing them side by side is quite stark, but it seems both versions are actually worth getting perhaps, as the 360's is structurally different from the One version. Gonna perhaps wait for a bit of a price drop me thinks...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.