Giant Bomb Horizon Race Night
Starts every Tuesday Night at 8:00 PM ET (5:00 PM PT)
Runs until people get tired or 11:00 PM ET, whichever comes first
In the world of Colorado, there are roads that have escaped our wrath for three years. This is about to change.
We're going to drive at insane speeds through traffic. We're going to destroy lots of cars and fences. We might even have a race or two.
It's time for a hoondown.
Don't tell Ken Block or Bobby Flay.
How To Join
Note: The following methods haven't been tested yet, since Forza Horizon isn't available to the majority of the public at the time I'm writing this. Don't expect things to go exactly as planned, and have a little patience.
By Car Club
- There will be a Giant Bomb car club for Forza Horizon. Join it, and find out more info on how to do that once I've posted the car club thread (it will likely involve you playing Horizon at least once, then posting your gamertag in that thread).
- If you're in the club, you will be spammed with game invites on Tuesday nights. If you want in, be ready to accept said invites at 8:00 PM ET and beyond (after all, people will leave and space will open up).
- If you can't join our club for some reason, you may send a friend request to GiantBomb Forza before Race Night begins. We'll try to send out invites through this tag if space permits, but be forewarned: Most of our normal attendees come through the car club, so you may unintentionally become an afterthought. Nothing personal -- it's just easy to overlook.
What To Expect
Hell if I know. Horizon's untested ground! Seriously, though, expect the following simple format:
- A lot of racing and playground games for the first 60-90 minutes.
- After that, we'll turn on free roam and see if we can't complete a few challenges together. Hopefully free roam is easy to jump in and out of; otherwise, this could prove problematic.
Break you apart through competition, then bring you back together with cooperation. Sounds like a proper hoondown to me!
There's not much in the way of rules for an open world racer like Forza Horizon, but a few points warrant mentioning.
1. Don't be a dick.
I fully expect Forza Horizon to involve way more contact than Forza Motorsport, but that doesn't mean it's cool to ruin everybody's race by ramming as many cars as you can, or willfully ignore challenges in free roam just to fuck over the group. As Marino would say, don't be that guy.
2. Mind your headset.
Communication is important during Race Night, especially since I like to ask for event suggestions, or I need to tell somebody to switch their class and ready up. If your headset is glitching, be it echoing or emitting static noise, you make that communication much more difficult. Be aware of when others tell you your headset is causing problems, and be willing to adjust accordingly.
3. If you want to join, just join.
We don't care if you're a complete newbie or a complete expert (just don't complain about the racing not being serious enough for your liking). If you want to roll with fellow Bombers around a virtual Colorado, just join us. Race Night does not bite, despite popular rumors. We just have a few people who can't resist terrible jokes.
4. Don't worry about DLC.
I'm going to make every effort to make sure you don't need DLC to join us. Most of our racing is done by class, so simply having cars you enjoy in every class should suffice. That said, if Pikes Peak or a similar add-on track ever becomes available, this point may become a complete lie. Pikes Peak would be pretty awesome, after all. (We're not getting Pikes Peak.)
5. You may have to wait.
Unfortunately, Forza Horizon has only eight spots in the lobby. That means on popular nights, you might be left out. I'll try to inform you if this is the case, but I can make no guarantees, and I apologize for that. If there's enough demand after a month or two of Horizon, we'll look into multiple lobbies, but for now, just be patient. We'll try to include as many willing participants as possible every Tuesday.
Just be willing to have fun. Horizon sounds like it will be an awesome game, and I hope that's true for the multiplayer. I also hope you'll join us for some delightful chaos every Tuesday night either way.