Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

So apparently Giantbomb gave Forza Horizon a 10/10

• 85 results
    Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Ducksworth

The cows have been owned.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By ez123

@jozzy said:

I feel like I am going to say something stupid, but how are 5/5 and 10/10 mathematically the same?

You feel that way for good reason. 10/10 = 5/5 = 1. They are mathematically the same.

I still don't think they should be able to say Jeff gave it 10/10, though. It just seems like someone made a mistake, I'm sure they're happy to boast about a GB 5/5.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@jozzy said:

I feel like I am going to say something stupid, but how are 5/5 and 10/10 mathematically the same? I would translate these to:

5/5 I have 5 apples out of the 5 available apples

10/10 I have 10 apples out of the 10 available apples

In both cases you have 100% of the apples, but that doesn't make it mathematically identical. In one case I have 5 apples in the other I have 10.

I might be missing some essential component, but this is why I feel the metacritic percentage scale is fairer, as 5/5 translates to 100%. I don't see how they can translate it to 10/10 though, that just seems wrong to me.

Mathematically speaking 5/5 and 10/10 are just fractions and they both are equal to 1. So they are mathematically equivalent.

I don't see the problem with this 10/10 and 5 stars both denote a really good game, anyone who thinks a 10/10 game is perfect in every conceivable way will soon learn that no games are perfect.

It looks as though they just wanted to provide the same basis for each score given so they are easy to compare. I'm not trying to defend this, I really don't care that much. It's just, as always, the internet is blowing an inconsequential issue WAY out of proportion.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Sackmanjones

10/10

23/23

57391837/57391837

5/5

They all mean the same thing

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#55  Edited By Phatmac

Scores are needed for game reviews as it is the best way to show someone who needs a quick judgement on a game with a quick glance at a review score. For people that want more out of a review than read it and see if the things that the review liked and disliked mattered to you. Review scores are vital to the game review process and will never be gone from Giantbomb. Jeff has stated several times that Giant Bomb reviews will always have a score. So don't argue that Giant Bomb reviews need no score as it is a futile effort. Go read Kotaku's reviews if you don't want a score.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By jozzy

@Sackmanjones said:

10/10 23/23 57391837/57391837 5/5 They all mean the same thing

Let's keep going, even after I admitted I said a stupid thing. Keep em coming!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By ajamafalous

Metacritic has been doing this for years.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Alexander
    pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By pandorasbox

Basic math. 5/5 = 100%. 10/10 = 100%. It's ROUGHLY the same thing. Nobody with a rational mind should get worked up about this, and i find it depressing that anybody cared enough about this "issue" to make a topic out of it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@pandorasbox said:

Basic math. 5/5 = 100%. 10/10 = 100%. It's ROUGHLY the same thing. Nobody with a rational mind should get worked up about this, and i find it depressing that anybody cared enough about this "issue" to make a topic out of it.

This is Giant Bomb. It isn't the first time people have made a big stink over nothing, and it certainly won't be the last.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By AngelN7

@TheVideoHustler said:

I dislike the 10 number rating system because at 6 you know the game is shit. So why beat it into the ground by calling it a super failure. What's you've failed, that's pretty much the end of it.

Shouldn't 6 in the proper 10 scale be above average? 5 being a really average game? ... people might hate him but Angry Joe seems to be the only one who uses the scale properly.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By CptBedlam

@pandorasbox said:

Well, it IS an issue because there is a difference. Certain scales are chosen for a reason. And ask yourself why sites that use a 100 scale, never give 100/100. It's a different message than a 5/5.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#63  Edited By BBAlpert

@Inkerman said:

When did Giantbomb scores start to get put on the advertising of major games? That's pretty neat.

Although probably far from the first time it's happened, the first time I noticed it was on the Steam page for Mark of the Ninja, which features a quote from Brad.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214560/

Avatar image for thevideohustler
    TheVideoHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TheVideoHustler

@AngelN7 said:

@TheVideoHustler said:

I dislike the 10 number rating system because at 6 you know the game is shit. So why beat it into the ground by calling it a super failure. What's you've failed, that's pretty much the end of it.

Shouldn't 6 in the proper 10 scale be above average? 5 being a really average game? ... people might hate him but Angry Joe seems to be the only one who uses the scale properly.

I look at it as a school grading system.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By laserbolts

@CptBedlam said:

@pandorasbox said:

Well, it IS an issue because there is a difference. Certain scales are chosen for a reason. And ask yourself why sites that use a 100 scale, never give 100/100. It's a different message than a 5/5.

Is it really though? Aren't both giving the message "buy this game its awesome"?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By PillClinton

Technically legitimate, but yes, a little shady.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By smcn

Review scores are pointless, gamers are idiots, the planet keeps spinning.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#68  Edited By TheHBK

Did you not see the first 10 seconds of the quicklook? How could it not be a 10/10????

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#69  Edited By Mcfart

Was this really worth a thread? There's no fucking difference between a 5 versus 10 scale rating system. 5/5=10/10=1000/1000

I would have been slightly annoyed if they translated a 4/5 to a 9/10, however.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By vaportra1l

I want a 10000 point scale for my game reviews.

Scotto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Scotto

@CptBedlam said:

@pandorasbox said:

100 point systems never give 100's out, because when you have that many points, you start to try and associate every niggling flaw or nuisance in the game with a point value. This is part of the reason why Giant Bomb went with arguably the smallest numerical scale possible - because what is the qualitative difference between a 65 and a 68? Or a 94 and a 97? Or an 84 and a 97, for that matter? You can't boil a game experience down to such a hilariously exact number.

In that sense, I think it would be disingenuous to say, as Metacritic does, that Giant Bomb gave a 5/5 game a "100/100" - because every actual point they award gets inflated to 20 with Metacritic. When you've got a five point scale, something like the game's shitty microtransactions might not be enough to sink it to a 4/5, but on a 100 point scale, who is to say it might not be worth a point or two (or five, or 10)?

And all of this just highlights how insane it is that some publishers actually award bonuses that are contingent on Metacritic scores, when they are taking wildly disparate rating systems and trying to shoehorn them into a number out of 100.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72  Edited By Alexandru

They could have said 5/5. That's how Xcom did it.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By redbliss

I thought they gave it an 8/8. Or was it 7/7?

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Are people so dumb as to think 5/5 is worse than a 10/10?

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By iceman228433

lol that is classic

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This got me thinking about this cover-art, there's three different ratings systems on it.

Ugh! Budget Box Art.
    Ugh! Budget Box Art.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By CptBedlam

@Scotto said:

@CptBedlam said:

@pandorasbox said:

100 point systems never give 100's out, because when you have that many points, you start to try and associate every niggling flaw or nuisance in the game with a point value. This is part of the reason why Giant Bomb went with arguably the smallest numerical scale possible - because what is the qualitative difference between a 65 and a 68? Or a 94 and a 97? Or an 84 and a 97, for that matter? You can't boil a game experience down to such a hilariously exact number.

In that sense, I think it would be disingenuous to say, as Metacritic does, that Giant Bomb gave a 5/5 game a "100/100" - because every actual point they award gets inflated to 20 with Metacritic. When you've got a five point scale, something like the game's shitty microtransactions might not be enough to sink it to a 4/5, but on a 100 point scale, who is to say it might not be worth a point or two (or five, or 10)?

And all of this just highlights how insane it is that some publishers actually award bonuses that are contingent on Metacritic scores, when they are taking wildly disparate rating systems and trying to shoehorn them into a number out of 100.

Exactly.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#78  Edited By phrosnite

I don't know about you but I don't consider 5/5 to be 10/10 even though math says it is.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By MikkaQ

I dunno why a 10 point scale is the norm in video games, almost any other medium typically uses the 5-star scale as a standard.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By ethan_raiden

This happens quite a lot. I'm more suprised to see a Giant Bomb score on a game, haven't seen one yet

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#81  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@MikkaQ said:

I dunno why a 10 point scale is the norm in video games, almost any other medium typically uses the 5-star scale as a standard.

Honestly I think it's because games have so many more moving parts. Not only are there visuals, audio, etc but gameplay as well. And bugs. So yeah there is more going on and more to break down. Some think this means you need more possible ratings. Not saying I agree but I believe that was the thinking. You can really see it in say how IGN breaks down their ratings in different categories and all.

I like the 5 star system here. Sometimes it feels a bit arbitrary in its difference between 4's and 5's but at the end of the day all ratings systems have this issue in different ways.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By ripelivejam

the difference between a 4 and 5 is a lot easier to quantify than the difference between, say, a 9 and a 9.1.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#83  Edited By FancySoapsMan

it amuses me to see how amazed some people are by GB's decision to use a 5 star rating scale instead of a 10 point one like everyone else.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By MiniPato

Joystiq and Kotaku convert Giant Bomb scores to a percentage for their review compilation thingy. Don't really think it's a big deal. Curious to hear what the actual staff think of this.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TheHumanDove

1275/1275

be afraid...be very afraid

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.