Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

So apparently this supports Smartglass.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

This was posted on the Forza forums:

Explore the open roads of Colorado with the Forza Horizon SmartGlass Experience. Explore and interact with the complete map of the Forza Horizon game world through intuitive gestures on your tablet or mobile device while seamlessly playing the game on your TV screen. No pausing required - keep the pedal down no matter where your destination lies.

Smart Glass launches friday alongside Windows 8. Anyone going to try this out?

Also major Nelson Listed all the apps and games to support smartglass on launch.

Games:

• Ascend
    • Dance Central 3
    • Forza Horizon
    • Halo Waypoint
    • Home Run Stars
    • Karaoke
    • Kinect Sesame Street TV
    • Prima Games

Sports:

• ESPN
    • NBA Game Time
    • UFC

Entertainment Apps:

• Elections 2012
    • HBO GO
    • MSN
    • NBC News
    • NOW TV
    • Slacker Radio
    • TODAY
    • Univision
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JasonR86

Huh. I'd never use that in a game. And if I'm fucking around with smartglass while watching a movie that tells me that I'm not really enjoying the movie that much.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm just going to say it: I think Smartglass sounds super dumb. I'd rather pause to look at a full map on my TV than take my eyes away from the screen, resulting in me playing horribly, to look at a tablet.

Or maybe I've misunderstood something.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Demoskinos said:

This was posted on the Forza forums:

Explore the open roads of Colorado with the Forza Horizon SmartGlass Experience. Explore and interact with the complete map of the Forza Horizon game world through intuitive gestures on your tablet or mobile device while seamlessly playing the game on your TV screen. No pausing required - keep the pedal down no matter where your destination lies.

Are they implying people could possibly mess with their phone while driving, and not run into oncoming traffic?
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MideonNViscera

You'll basically just be able to play WiiU games on your X-Box is what I'm guessing. Controller and touch screen, just not fused into one giant brick.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#6  Edited By isomeri

I guess that plotting out GPS stuff on a tablet could be convenient. But I don't own a Windows 8 device, so won't get to try it.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By falconer

I'm getting the Surface on Friday, so I'll probably check this out at some point this weekend.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard

@Demoskinos: Sweet! My Surface comes on the same day as Forza so why the hell not.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By Cincaid
    @isomeri It works on any tablet or smartphone, but maybe I misunderstood you.
    Avatar image for indiana_jenkins
    indiana_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By indiana_jenkins

I wonder if the iOS/Android apps will be out by Friday. Do we even know if Smartglass is going to have a dedicated app, or are they just going to update the Xbox App?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#11  Edited By falconer

@Indiana_Jenkins: Smartglass is a new app. It's replacing the Xbox Companion app as well, as far as I know.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By isomeri

@Cincaid said:

@isomeri It works on any tablet or smartphone, but maybe I misunderstood you.

I don't own a tablet or smartphone. Living in the fucking middle ages over here. Planning on buying a 920 this fall.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

That sounds pretty cool.

Having smart glass to quickly go through menus while still controlling action could really be an interesting addition to RPGs. Remember that map in your lap thing from Far Cry 2? You could do that with the tablet.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Mister_V

I'll check this out for sure. Smart glass has the potential to do some interesting stuff.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Cincaid

Since it's a free app, I really don't see the harm in at least trying it out before screaming bloody murder. Well, I guess it's only for Gold XBL members, but still.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By icytower38

If iit's going to be on iOS I'll download it just to give it a shot, but only if it's free.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By musubi

@icytower38: Everything. iOS, Andrioid and Windows phones.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By j3ffro919

I read somewhere (maybe joystiq?) that the Android and iOS apps will be available in 2013. Hope that's not true, but I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world if it is.

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

Pass. That sounds super unsafe. I don't even like messing with my phone when I'm driving a real car.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By j3ffro919

Penny Arcade Report says there is a chance the iOS app will be able to launch Friday, sounds like a lot of "No Comment" going around. Or maybe people just don't know.

I figure I'll give it a shot. I have an ipad 2 that has a stand, depending on where I sit while gaming I can position my ipad to be in my lower peripheral view acting like a gps something. I think I like the idea of it more than I'll actually like it, but perhaps in another game it will make more sense.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By j3ffro919

It's out on Android, no word on iOS. I haven't had a chance to try it on my phone, but saw a breakdown on it earlier while I was at work. For Forza Horizon it acts like the map screen. Constantly updating, and you can change your GPS waypoint on it, though it seems like pausing the game and setting it in game would be more effective. If you had another person in the room with you who knew enough about the game that they could set things for you, perhaps it would be more valuable. Ymmv.

xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By xshinobi

Is smart glass region locked? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Play store.

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jmood88

@Cincaid said:

Since it's a free app, I really don't see the harm in at least trying it out before screaming bloody murder. Well, I guess it's only for Gold XBL members, but still.

This is the internet, if you aren't overreacting, then you're doing something wrong.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Cincaid
    @jmood88 Good point :)
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Bollard

@Xshinobi said:

Is smart glass region locked? I can't seem to find it anywhere on the Play store.

Play store? It's only available on Win8 devices for now. Other ones coming later on.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By j3ffro919

Negative, it's out on Android. You may need Android 4.x to see it n the play store, but it is there.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Managed to get it on my Galaxy Note 2, wasn't available for the Nexus 7 at time of posting although sideloading it still works, and apparently works flawlessly.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Scullinator

Using smart glass on my Samsung Galaxy 3 and it works great. Using internet explorer is where it makes the most since . Way better than using a controller. Didn't thik I would use the internet on my Xbox, but now its kind of fun.

Have not tried it with any games yet but this is making me want to get forza even more. So can someone describe how it works a little better? Like is it showing you your map? Like a GPS or something. That would be just like driving in real life.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scullinator

So I rented Forza and tried the smart glass app..... well other than show me achievements and a page with a little info about the game , it did nothing. No map or anything. Am I not doing something right?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By toowalrus
    @Cloudenvy said:

I'm just going to say it: I think Smartglass sounds super dumb. I'd rather pause to look at a full map on my TV than take my eyes away from the screen, resulting in me playing horribly, to look at a tablet.

Indeed, I think you're spot on. If your destination is close, a mini-map will get the job done just fine. If your destination is far away, you're going to be pausing the screen to look down at your stupid tablet anyway, so why not just cut out that step and put the map on the pause screen? I'm not going to whine about an optional feature existing, but I'm pretty sure it's really stupid.
    xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

I think the windows 8 tablet are the ones that utilized it. No android or ipad tablets support cause hey buy these win8 tablets.

Scullinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Scullinator

My Galaxy S3 supports the app and I can do the control thing on the dashboard. But when I start to play forza nothing happens. I also tried on my android tablet which is a Xoom and it said the app was not supported.

So to get this strait... The app works on my phone but will not work with games unless you have windows 8??? Is there an official smartglass page with instructions on how its supposed to work?

Reading xbox.com it says I need to go into my settings on my xbox and enable game interaction????? Why was this not on my default. I didnt need to change anything to get it to control the dashboard. This "smart"glass not looking too smart.

icytower38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By icytower38

Apple users now have the true smartglass, well the one that let's you use the feature. If you had the old My XBOX app it's an update, otherwise just search for it.

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#34  Edited By mcmax3000

@Scullinator said:

My Galaxy S3 supports the app and I can do the control thing on the dashboard. But when I start to play forza nothing happens. I also tried on my android tablet which is a Xoom and it said the app was not supported.

So to get this strait... The app works on my phone but will not work with games unless you have windows 8??? Is there an official smartglass page with instructions on how its supposed to work?

Reading xbox.com it says I need to go into my settings on my xbox and enable game interaction????? Why was this not on my default. I didnt need to change anything to get it to control the dashboard. This "smart"glass not looking too smart.

Sounds like you have the old 'My Xbox Live' app, not SmartGlass.

If you had SmartGlass, when you launch it while playing Forza, it would pop up the map. I'd recommend checking to find out if your phone actually supports SmartGlass itself, or if it's just the old app, and if it does, make sure your app is up to date.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By MildMolasses

I haven't played around with it too much, but is there anything on the app for this game other than the map? It's kind of neat at first to see the real time gps effect, but using that map is more distracting than just setting up a waypoint from the in game map. If you could upgrade cars and such with it, that would be awesome

mcmax3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#36  Edited By mcmax3000

@MildMolasses said:

I haven't played around with it too much, but is there anything on the app for this game other than the map? It's kind of neat at first to see the real time gps effect, but using that map is more distracting than just setting up a waypoint from the in game map. If you could upgrade cars and such with it, that would be awesome

Just the map.

rockman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rockman10

Dudes, it works on all platforms. Go check it out, actually kinda fun.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38  Edited By jaycrockett

Too bad, it's not supported on my Galaxy S.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By musclerider

I just use the Kinect for my navigation needs.

Never thought I'd say that.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jdh5153

@rockman10 said:

Dudes, it works on all platforms. Go check it out, actually kinda fun.

I use it on my iPhone, but I really wish they'd release it for the Kindle Fire HD. I can sideload an Android version, but I'd rather have one designed for the HD.

rockman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rockman10

@Indiana_Jenkins: I think on iOS it was an update, but just in case you can search for "smartglass" on the appstore.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42  Edited By Levio

If I could put my foot on a tablet showing a pedal to drive a car in a video game on the TV, that would certainly be a first-of-its-kind experience.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By FunkyHugo

Huh. That is pretty interesting, I'll give it a try.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.