Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Horizon

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 23, 2012

Forza Horizon takes the racing off the track and drops it into an open world full of various activities.

Will someone please teach me how to drift!

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pompouspizza

I have never played a forza game before, the only racing games I have seriously played previously are need for speed hp, and burnout paradise. Now I am really enjoying the game so far (only put a few hours in) but it doesn't matter what I try I can't get round a corner without smacking into a wall. Now I could be wrong but from what I can tell double tapping A starts the drift right?, can someone please point me in the right direction, or give me tips.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By VierasTalo

You need to watch Tokyo Drift. Only then can you learn how to drift. Listen very carefully to the love interests' story about her childhood and watching people drift in the hills surrounding Tokyo, as it plays a key part in your training.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By psylah

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Well the easiest way is to yeah tap A so that you start to slide then turn the wheel to compensate and kinda smoothly glide around a corner. Car selection also makes a difference, RWDs are easier if I remember correctly.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By psylah

Whoops posted the wrong video earlier!

uberexplodey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By uberexplodey

@pompouspizza:

I'm not a pro by any stretch, but after putting a shitload of time into the DiRT series, here's the general idea:

• Approach the turn (if you're eating that wall, you're going too fast. I do it a lot myself.)
    • Let off the gas and cut your wheels into the turn.
    • Tap your brakes, or depending how fast you're going, just turning will put you into a drift.
      Tapping your e-brake works better for sharper turns, or saving yourself if your initial slide didn't set you at the ideal angle.
    • Accelerate out of the apex, oversteer as necessary to regain control

Or look at this:

No Caption Provided

And as always, practice makes perfect. Grab a Ford RS200 (AWD rally car, personal preference), find some dirt roads and see how you do.

Happy drifting, dude. Rack up those kudos.

j3ffro919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By j3ffro919

@UberExplodey: That is a great guide, nice post.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JasonR86

@pompouspizza:

It's kind of hard to explain. I only really know how to do with a manual and I'm not very consistent. I'm also only able to do it consistently with rear-wheel drive cars. Basically, speed up to a corner and brake really late. As you start to make your turn it'll feel like you are skipping across the road and not getting traction down. As this is happening down shift a gear or two and then floor it shifting up as you need to. I can only really do this in the cockpit and from there it feels like the back end of the car is skipping like a rock on water and the front tires are grasping for traction. It is usually a little faster because you can really carry momentum through the turns but it is hard to do.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Ben_H
    @JasonR86 said:

@pompouspizza:

It's kind of hard to explain. I only really know how to do with a manual and I'm not very consistent. I'm also only able to do it consistently with rear-wheel drive cars. Basically, speed up to a corner and brake really late. As you start to make your turn it'll feel like you are skipping across the road and not getting traction down. As this is happening down shift a gear or two and then floor it shifting up as you need to. I can only really do this in the cockpit and from there it feels like the back end of the car is skipping like a rock on water and the front tires are grasping for traction. It is usually a little faster because you can really carry momentum through the turns but it is hard to do.

Yes manual is key to drifting really well I find too (particularly downshifting so you are high rev). I haven't played Horizon (yet. I'm grabbing it tomorrow after school) but since it is the same physics as 4, I imagine this still comes into play. Rear wheel drive also makes it way easier as oversteering is a characteristic and once you can control it you're golden, though I always found all of my craziest drifts were in Evos or other short wheel base AWD cars (the aforementioned RS200 would also be a good choice). Don't even bother trying with front wheel drive, you can't kick the tail out on them by nature of them being FWD, thus prone to understeering  if you are accelerating while turning. 

Also, in direct response to the cockpit thing, I totally agree. I'm useless at the game in the behind-the-car view now. I can't control the car properly in that view anymore. 

EDIT: Turn off all the assists. It will be tricky at first but once you get used to it not only will you be able to shave time off races, but you can also control cars waaaaaay better. I haven't driven with assists since Forza 2.
    sushix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sushix

@pompouspizza said:

double tapping A starts the drift right?

That's adorable. :D

Drifting as a concept, is the rear breaking loose while the front keeps grip. The different methods of drifting mainly refer to how the drift is initiated, the end result is the same. The most common form of drifting is the power slide, where entering a corner at too high of speed and trying to turn swings the rear of the car, breaking the rear traction.

Nowadays though a power slide isn't really considered drifting, since it typically starts after the apex of the corner. Modern drifting consists of sliding all the way through a corner.

To initiate a drift, there are few popular methods. First is the e-brake drift. Using the e-brake does one thing - lock up the rear wheels. This forcibly breaks the traction on the rear tires, so when you stamp on the gas again, the rear wheels are free spinning. This will begin swinging the rear of the car out, at which point you should be counter steering to maintain drifting angle and make sure the car doesn't spin around.

Second is the braking drift. When you brake hard, all the car's weight is transferred to the front. This causes the rear wheels to go light, so where you steer into a corner the rear wheels lose traction, at which point you reapply the gas to keep the back wheels spinning.

Third is the feint drift, or also known as the 'Scandinavian flick'. This method uses momentum and weight transfer like the brake drift, but from side-to-side. As you approach a corner, transfer the car's weight to one side, then immediately transfer it back to the opposite side. This sudden weight transfer will again cause the rear to swing out, again maintained by a combination of gas and steering.

This is of course mostly referring to RWD - it works mostly the same in AWD, but can be more difficult or easier depending on the car. FWD cars don't really drift, it's referred to as "ass-dragging".

The Drift Bible that psylah posted is an amazing guide, by the Drift King himself. It's also worth keeping in mind that unlike other games, in real life and Forza, drifting is slower than just driving through a corner. Most likely people who cannot drift are entering the corner way too fast expecting the drift to somehow bail them out.

O yeah, you also need manual transmission with TCS and STM off. Auto transmission will change gear up or down depending on the engine rev; all corners whether just driving or drifting, have an ideal gear to be in for that car.

Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
    KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@pompouspizza A little late to the party but here's a guide that has been working wonderfully for me.
    Step 1: Buy an RX-7
    Step 2: Put the ugliest body kit on it you can find along with giant rims (this is mostly optional but you want that sweet street cred right?)
    Step 3: Upgrade tires to street with the rear at Max size and the front two sizes smaller
    Step 4: Upgrade suspension and brakes all the way. Anti roll bars are optional but the rear should be stronger than the front if you opt for them. Roll cage and weight are also optional
    Step 5: Upgrade the engine until your performance index is above 500. Be wary of big turbos as they can throw you off when they kick in.
    Step 6: Put a two way differential on along with all other transmission upgrades.
    Step 7: Switch to manual transmission. It will help
    Step 8: As you approach a turn hit the A button to innate your drift. Depending on where you are in your powerband you might want to downshift as well. If you're redlining prior to iniation you should be fine otherwise you'll want to downshift so you'll have power at your wheels when they catch. From there it's just about learning when to counter steer and how much. Have fun the drifting this game is loads of fun.
    Drifter995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Drifter995

Went looking for a great tutorial I found, to help a friend... Couldn't find it. Lame.

I have a very specific setup for when I drift, but I can do it easily with a normal car (tuning for forza 4, non for horizon) I usually do everything right to left.. All transmission mods, all suspension mods, wheels and tyres, body, THEN engine... once I hit engine, I keep it within S class, high S class is my sweet spot for it. I am weird though, I run roll cage (stiffens up the ride) sway bars all around, race tyres, and for wheels, I put rears on maximum size, and fronts on one size less than biggest. So if rears are 18inch, I put my fronts at 17inch.

Then, technique comes into it... There is a few different styles, as a user above mentioned. I usually go into a corner fairly quickly (depends on the corner) turn facing away from the corner, then flick into the corner, pulling the acc trigger. That should make you lose traction, then you just have to feather the throttle and counter steer. Not a great description, but it's what I do... Either that or just handbrake to get that first slide happening.

I use rwd cars... awd cars don't work anywhere near as well for me. Abs ON, traction and stability OFF, line OFF, Manual WITHOUT CLUTCH (just my personal preference .. no clutch kicks, which I should probably get into the habit of trying), Steering NORMAL. And yeah, that's what I do... I only really drift in forza 4, hah. Been missing it in horizons, might see if there are any drift servers.

HDLSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HDLSS

Apparently there is a hidden steering assist which could adversely affect your ability to drift sweetly. Changing your difficulty to expert and then selecting which assists you want from there should turn the hidden assist off.

Drifter995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Drifter995

@Vitriola: Doubtful. I can drift awesomely without doing that. I just turn off traction controll, stability control, and i can drift fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.