How realistic is Forza 2?

#1 Posted by insanejedi (655 posts) -

I have no idea how realistic sim-drivers feel, so it would be nice to know if Forza is anywhere comparably accurate in terms of physics and handling compared to real life. If yes, can I use this to help give myself a feel of driving a car, without endagering the people around me?

#2 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Maybe if you got the foot pedal and all the extra accessories...

#3 Edited by pause422 (6172 posts) -

not as real as GT, but I'm not sure how they would honestly help driving a real car, maybe it does...but I have no idea.

#4 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -
pause422 said:
"not as real as GT, but I'm not sure how they would honestly help driving a real car, maybe it does...but I have no idea."
More real than GT in many ways. Can't bounce off walls for one.....

Forza Celica handles like my Celica....heh.

Actually, they did a really fantastic job at that. I've driven a Tiburon, Celica, Mustang, and they all feel great in the game. Obviously I wasn't driving them at 80 into a turn or anything, but they always feel good. Same models and everything.

You couldn't go wrong with the Microsoft brand steering wheel.
#5 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Driving in real life is pretty boring and this game is mad boring, so it pretty much matches.

#6 Posted by Relys (984 posts) -

I thought it was buttfuckingly boring.

I got it for free last year with my 360.

#7 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -

The only thing that the game can help you with compared to real life is perhaps how to counter steer correctly when you lose control of your car. Other than that, even if you have all the accessories its not like you can train in the game and race in real life.

Why?

G-Force.

When you turn your car hard in real life, you will experience G-Force trying to push you out of your seat. Sure most cars that go for joy rides have buckets seats to make sure you stay in, you still feel the Gs. And when you feel the Gs, you have to keep your cool and do exactly as you would in the game to make the turn. That is something that only actual driving can teach you.

Also real life driving consist of mainly knowing your distance from the other car and such, and even if you go 10 mph over the speed limit in a 20 year old car, you still don't really hit the limits of the car, like you would in a race.

#8 Posted by GalvanizedNails (552 posts) -
Relys said:
"I thought it was buttfuckingly boring.

I got it for free last year with my 360."

to enjoy Forza 2 properly you really need to get involved with the community over at the www.forzamotorsport.net forums. It makes it soo much funner
#9 Posted by Lies (3866 posts) -

Well, seeing as you're not usually driving at 100 MPH in real life, no Forza is not very realistic.

#10 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -
Lies said:
"Well, seeing as you're not usually driving at 100 MPH in real life, no Forza is not very realistic."
Well, it is a racing game on closed circuits so.....doesn't really compare at all.....
#11 Posted by ep_driver (436 posts) -

It's a very realistic simulator, right up there with Gran Turismo in my opinion. As far as comparing it to driving in real life, I'm not too sure an accurate comparison can be made. They are two extremely different. I had a Civic Si in the game and while it felt different than the rest of the cars (psyhics wise), it didn't feel like my Si in real life.

p.s.-HandsomeDead is a homosexual, don't listen to him. He enjoys being a troll, probably putting it in their anals too.

#12 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
ep_driver said:
"p.s.-HandsomeDead is a homosexual, don't listen to him. He enjoys being a troll, probably putting it in their anals too."
What's brought this on?
#13 Posted by HazBazz (1901 posts) -

Top Gear (a brittish car show (i dont know why im explaining that, everybody knows what TG is)) did a test a while ago, comparing real life racing to a videogame simulation. Its a pretty good watch.

#14 Posted by crunchUK (5963 posts) -

i've seen that :O. anyway forza is stupidly good. the amount of calculations you do to make a turn and tune your car and everything...  and the sheer amount of OPTIONS and how everything you do affects everything else. it's so amazing it really is. best racer i have ever played. and lol @ the person who said gt is more realistic...

#15 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
HazBazz said:
"Top Gear (a brittish car show (i dont know why im explaining that, everybody knows what TG is)) did a test a while ago, comparing real life racing to a videogame simulation. Its a pretty good watch.

"
Except the game they used was Gran Turismo.
#16 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
StaticFalconar said:
"HazBazz said:
"Top Gear (a brittish car show (i dont know why im explaining that, everybody knows what TG is)) did a test a while ago, comparing real life racing to a videogame simulation. Its a pretty good watch.

"
Except the game they used was Gran Turismo."
Yeah, when you look back, GT 4 is not that good. It was great for its time, first console 1080i game, with the best graphics models of last gen. The new GT 5 engine is so much better.

Anyway, TC, F2, is a great sim racer, it has it few shares of "issues" that cant certainly please me as maybe the lack of cars, or a solid crash system (kind of feels to arcade based, like in Daytona, something similar to Dirt would have been nicer). It has great graphics, and the tune shop is great if you are up for that kind of things (I hate tuning cars, not spec wise though). The game physics are really good, much better than in GT 4, and the crashing system does add up a certain level of "immersion" that GT 5 is currently lacking (at least till Spec VII releases). The selection of cars is good, not great, some missing cars and some extras like some classic models (a tradition in GT) are a certain loss if you are moving away from this franchise. I really dont know how good the online is right now, as I completely abandoned it when GT5P released.
#17 Posted by Black_Raven (1759 posts) -

As far as console racing sims go forza 2 is the best, but if you want a real racing sim then you need to get one for PC, GTR is good but there are other ones that are more realistic.

#18 Posted by Wolverine (4280 posts) -

They but a lot of work into making sure every car in the game feels exactly right. For example they put each care on the game on basically a treadmill for cars and record the sounds and study the physics. Yeah its pretty realistic.

#19 Posted by DragoonKain1687 (702 posts) -
Black_Raven said:
"As far as console racing sims go forza 2 is the best, but if you want a real racing sim then you need to get one for PC, GTR is good but there are other ones that are more realistic."
Yeah, like the iRacer, but they dont have support from dealeships, which gives us generic cars. They are amazing though as sims, but suck as games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.