Oops, wrong brake button!

#1 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -

I've had this game for about a year now, but just started playing it seriously a little over a week ago. So far I'm really enjoying it. I've probably only put about 6 hours into it, I've got three cars and I've been fine-tuning them . . . BUT ANYWAY I just downloaded the forza 3 demo and was looking at the controls as the game was loading.  "Oh" I thought, "they changed the brake to LT instead of the A button. Ok". I started playing and noticed - wow, this car brakes a lot better than any of my cars in Forza 2. This is way easier!  Then it hit me - I tried the A button (hand brake) and noticed it braked a lot more like my cars in Forza 2 did. Yup, I'm a dumbass! I've been playing with the e-brake only in Forza 2. Now I'm really excited get back to it tomorrow and play with my newly discovered brake button! I think I'll do much better - might even be able to up the difficulty to earn a little more cash in career mode. 
I don't know what game I've been playing that gave me the impression that the A button is always the brakes. GTA 4 maybe? Anyone else have a similar problem?

#2 Posted by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -

GTA 4 used the Left Trigger as the break too. Pretty much all games do that. I've never heard of a game that has the Right Trigger as accelerate, and the A button as break.

Moderator Online
#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" GTA 4 used the Left Trigger as the break too. Pretty much all games do that. I've never heard of a game that has the Right Trigger as accelerate, and the A button as break. "
me either.
#4 Posted by JoelTGM (5596 posts) -

lol nice going, that must have been hard.  You must be a drift master by now though.

#5 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

That is amazing. Well, at least the game will be easier for you now. I have no idea how you managed using the emergency brake all this time.

#6 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I love me some handbrake.

#7 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -
@MattyFTM said:
" GTA 4 used the Left Trigger as the break too. Pretty much all games do that. I've never heard of a game that has the Right Trigger as accelerate, and the A button as break. "
I believe Battle Field : Bad Company uses right trigger to go and A button to break. at the very lest its very weird.
#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14364 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:

" @MattyFTM said:

I believe Battle Field : Bad Company uses right trigger to go and A button to break. at the very lest its very weird. "
Are you sure? I thought BF:BC used A to accelerate & X to break? Like older driving games before they used triggers?

EDIT: Found the instruction manual online here, & apparently you could use the left trigger or A to accelerate, and the left bumper or X to break. Bizarre.
Moderator Online
#9 Posted by Emilio (3380 posts) -

Welcome to the world of driving games.

#10 Posted by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

You guys play driving games with a pad?

#11 Posted by Nate (702 posts) -
@Emilio said:

" Welcome to the world of driving games. "

Yeah, this is the first driving game I've really got into since Mario Kart for the SNES. Anyway, I tried it today with my new found brake, and It's pretty nice :) . It's no walk in the park for me, but I think I'm doing a little better.    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.