Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

Do you race with a wheel or controller?

PanzerPev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By PanzerPev

Playing Forza with the racing wheel has been one of the greatest gaming experiences ever.  I think that anyone who tries it would decide they prefer it over a controller.  It may not be as precise as using a controller, but the feel and fun factors the wheel provides is unreal.  

Who else out there is using a wheel??

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By trace
    @PanzerPev said:
    " It may not be as precise as using a controller... "
    I think a wheel allows for a lot more precision in steering and pedal input, honestly. I waver a bit more in my steering using a controller.

Unfortunately, I don't have anything solid to anchor a wheel controller onto for 360 games, so I just use the controller for driving.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By agentboolen

I use a controller for the same reason as PsEG, unless your going to do a little work for the wheel to be stable it just doesn't look like it would feel right.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By hexogen

I bought a Logitech Driving Force Pro when Gran Turismo 4 came out, but I didn't have anything to mount it to, so I had to use this attachment that basically had you anchor the wheel between your thighs for stability. It just wasn't stable enough or in a comfortable position, so after a few days I went back to a controller and its been sitting in my closet ever since. I really think I need some type of racing seat to get any enjoyment out of a wheel, but that's a hefty investment, and I'd rather just spend that money on other things. A controller is good enough for me.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

i use a controller. i want to get a racing wheel but never really looked into it.

captainduncan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By captainduncan

I want one of the Fanatec Porsche wheels SO BAD D:

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Furyjoell

I use the MS wheel, while it may not make the game any easier, it might even make it slightly more difficult. I find it increases the enjoyment of the game tenfold, you can feel the car trying to break loose, the force feedback does a remarkably good job at telling you what the wheels are doing. If I try and use the controller now I fail miserably, I react too slowly to what the car is doing as I can't feel it.

Xakura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Xakura

Wheel. I even bought Forza 3 on release, and didn't touch it until after Christmas, because I had to bring my wheel up from back home.

As for setup, i just use my pc chair and a table, you have to have it bolted to something solid.

And my next project now is to get a wheel with clutch, does anyone now any other than the crazy germans of fanatec who makes that for xbox? Logitech does for some reason only make theirs for ps3. (Though they make "regular" wheels for xbox)

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd love to have a wheel, I like them much better. For now, I'm just using the controller.

IgnisPhaseOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By IgnisPhaseOne

I really want to get a wheel for this game; can someone list the wheels, prices, and final recommendations?

LazyPiranha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By LazyPiranha

I want the wheel so bad, but I just can't justify spending one hundred extra dollars on a single game.  

nobull6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By nobull6

I use a controller as I have for decades. I would be interested in what it would feel like to drive with a wheel. Because I started driving games on a D-pad with only on/off functionality, I use a duty cycle method with the analog sticks; sort of a tap-tap-tap in whatever direction I'm turning. 

Does anyone use analog sticks on a controller and NOT do the above (i.e. smoothly use the analog sticks)?

FulcoBallard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By FulcoBallard
    @LazyPiranha said:
    " I want the wheel so bad, but I just can't justify spending one hundred extra dollars on a single game.   "
    yeah im the same way
    LazyPiranha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LazyPiranha
    @nobull6 said:
    " I use a controller as I have for decades. I would be interested in what it would feel like to drive with a wheel. Because I started driving games on a D-pad with only on/off functionality, I use a duty cycle method with the analog sticks; sort of a tap-tap-tap in whatever direction I'm turning.  Does anyone use analog sticks on a controller and NOT do the above (i.e. smoothly use the analog sticks)? "
    After a lot of practice, I've finally managed to angle it very slightly and avoid the tapping back and forth.  Takes a lot more effort but I feel it makes the game better.  
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I'm getting a wheel when GT5 comes out.

beef_daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beef_daddy

I have switched to a wheel, and for Simulation racing I don't think I could return to the controller.

jugnutts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jugnutts

Agreed, a wheel is the way to go IMO.
    Paradoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Paradoxx

I use the wheel all the time. When you start racing the faster cars like R2, R1, X, you just can't get the precision you need to be smooth and fast from a controller. That said - The Xbox wheel does sit at an arkward angle and WAY too high. I usually chuck a block under the front of it to angle it down, and I have to lift my screen up about 6 inches because this xbox wheel sits high.

Although it's a pain to set up, I think  anyone saying the controller is just as fast is absurd. There is no way that you will be as fast with a controller as you can be on a steering wheel, with enough practice.

slowbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By slowbird

I wish I had a wheel, but I can't spend all that money on one.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By eclipsesis

My hands, once Kinect is released. Joke, seriously I'm joking

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By JessicaBoo

Controller, i have more control over it.
    Creigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Creigz

I use a controller because I can't find a reasonably priced wheel with a clutch and shifter. I could even deal with clutch and paddle shifts...

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vigil
    @Creigz said:
    " I use a controller because I can't find a reasonably priced wheel with a clutch and shifter. I could even deal with clutch and paddle shifts... "
    Totally my issue as well.
    FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FlyingRat

I think it would be really cool to try out with a wheel, i'm just not interested enough to spend that kind of money on it. So i'll stick with a controller for now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.