One Year of Forza Race Night

Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -
A community game night I help run has hit a milestone. I hope you won't mind if I ramble and reminisce a little.

On November 5th, 2009, a couple of American car fanatics on Giant Bomb, inspired by their European brethren, started a private lobby in Forza Motorsport 3. The turnout was mild but promising, and so began a weekly ritual of racing and generally screwing around with virtual cars we could never hope to afford in real life.

Hazard5040 and FlipperDesert duel in one of the first Race Nights.
It's now November 4th, 2010. 52 weeks have passed since "Giant Bomb Private Race Night: Yanks and Canucks Edition" began. What started as a whim amongst dedicated Giant Bomb users has turned into what is now known as Giant Bomb Forza Race Night, with the potential to attract full lobbies each week.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled that Forza Race Night has easily survived an entire year. The attendance and dedication is amazing, and I still don't think there's a single other game night on Giant Bomb that's lasted as long as ours (although I'm still more than willing to be proven wrong). Before I begin to write my lengthy thoughts on Forza Race Night's accomplishments, though, I'd like to thank a few people critical to the success of our game night.

Thank You

• First off, my greatest thanks go to mattjam3000. He was the originator of the idea of a private race night in Forza, albeit for European time zones. He proved there was enough interest in Forza, and helped inspire a North American Race Night. He's certainly one of, if not the founding father of Race Night, and we've always appreciated that. Also thanks to FlipperDesert for being one of the few other dudes to stick with the idea.
  • My second bit of thanks goes to the North American founder of Race Night, Pax. While I was sitting around with a thumb up my ass, hesitant to start an American Race Night, Pax took the initiative, and rallied together a great group of people for racing. He'd eventually get sick of hosting the lobbies, and turned the responsibility over to me, but to say his influence was that limited would be an outright lie. Pax picked the right time for Race Night, he gathered enough people to make it work, and he's done his damnedest to bring us all together as our own little community. I tried to replicate his success when I started Friday Night Blur, and quite frankly, I failed miserably. Often we joke about Pax being the force that holds Race Night together, but it's true: If it weren't for Pax, I highly doubt we'd have made it a year. He's a great dude with a hilariously brash attitude, and he has my utmost thanks for starting what I could not.
  • I also have to thank Keval N, Forza Race Night's best damn driver, for all he's done for Race Night. There was a time when participation dropped to dangerously low levels, but despite this, Keval showed up every week. He's rarely ever complained about a race choice, he's never started shit with other players, and he's a stand-up fellow. Keval is the rock that has kept Race Night alive in good times and bad times, and the numerous close races I've had against him are some of my favorites.
  • I have to thank all the other Race Night regulars, as well. Blarg joined us in our darker times and saw us into our current thriving days. Jugnutts, Beef Daddy, and the rest of the Nebraska crew also have provided us with loads of competition, as well as full lobbies. Slowbird's one of the few guys to give Keval constant competition, which is completely stunning in itself. Hay4z has...well, he's always been the quiet one, but we're starting to hear more of him and appreciate him joining us for so long, as well (even if he's the hardest damn guy to pass).
  • Of course, everyone else who's joined us over the weeks, especially in the early days, has my gratitude. I want to name a bunch of you, but I know I'll forget a name or two and hurt someone's feelings. Just know I'm very appreciative that you gave us a chance to succeed.
  • In that same note, I want to specifically thank gpbmike for being the only Whiskey Media staff member to attend Race Night. We probably seem like creepy stalkers at times, but we're always humbled and thankful when one of the Top Men acknowledges our game night.
  • Speaking of acknowledgment, I must thank ZombiePie for all the mentions he's given our events over the year. To my knowledge, we haven't gone out of our way to ask him to mention Race Night in the Community Spotlight, and yet he's noticed our little shindig and noted our accomplishments. He's supporting what I feel is a truly crucial part of Giant Bomb's community, and I'm glad he's given Race Night its due so willingly.
  • Finally, to anyone who's ever joined us for a race or two, thank you for contributing to a wonderful event. I hope you'll consider joining us again sometime in the future.

Rest assured that I could continue to drone on with my thanks and gratitude, and accept my deepest apologies if I didn't mention you.

Theory of a Race Night

I suppose that to truly explain what a year of Forza Race Night means to me, I first need to discuss my past involvements with auto racing and racing sims. I don't intend to sound like a crazed lunatic, but there's certainly a few reasons I've willingly dedicated so much time to this weekly affair.

I grew up a fan of auto racing. My father raced in Formula Ford, Can-Am, and briefly in Trans-Am, and my mother belonged to the Corvette Club in her youth. Racing and cars have always excited our family. Considering my dad's also been a tech geek most of his life, it's no surprise that I'd get into computers, and eventually, racing sims.

We've always put fun over traditional racing.
Fast forward to the era of broadband Internet, where reasonable online multiplayer racing finally became a decent possibility outside of select online services. I began to dabble somewhat in the multiplayer of various titles, from the NASCAR Racing series to Live For Speed. It's here where I began to notice an unsettling trend in online racing: People get damn serious about their racing most of the time. I'd turn away from racing leagues because of their strict punishments over even the most accidental of crashes, and people who spent hours every day running the same track over and over would laugh and look down at my more casual devotion to racing sims.

Perhaps I neglected to find fitting leagues or teams through ignorance, pickiness, and anger, but I knew very quickly the kind of group I wanted to roll with was rare, a cadre of players dedicated to enjoying themselves in casual competition. Racing is a wonderfully tense sport, but when your cars are mere polygons rather than expensive machines tied to your livelihood, I feel it's best to focus on the delightfully fun aspect more than the bitter competition. I didn't fit in well with a lot of racing sim communities for this reason, typically deemed as an immature joker, and I knew in the future I'd want to attempt to find like-minded people for fun, clean racing. I considered racing in public servers and lobbies, but after witnessing so many crashes and general dirty racing, I became disinterested in the idea. I needed to find a crew to roll with, damn it.

Naturally, that's where Forza Motorsport 3 and Giant Bomb come in. Eventually.

The Evolution

A photo of the original Buick Death Race in Forza Motorsport 2
I had toyed with the idea of a special type of racing in Forza Motorsport 2 with a friend, where we'd pick Buick Regal GNXes, paint them up like they were entering a demo derby, and racing them wildly around a track for giggles. While fun, we never could find enough people to join our venture, and the "Buick Death Race" was tabled for at least a year or so.

Not along after, Giant Bomb launched. I believed in the site's potential, and hoped that I might be able to find some like-minded people for good racing action. To be honest, I was hoping to find groups of people to play random Xbox Live games each week, as well. I'm a person who sincerely believes a community can strengthen and flourish when given the opportunity to game together. I still think Giant Bomb could benefit from more community game nights, perhaps organized through a site calendar to make their mere existence seem less intimidating.

...but I digress. Anyways, I never went through with any of the game night stuff because I'm a damn coward with social anxieties, so instead, I waited and lurked on the forums for years.

We've always been a little wild, too.
Enter Forza 3. Finally, a new racing game with loads of options and potential. My online social anxiety (and yes, that should baffle you) had subsided somewhat after I spent hundreds of hours hosting and organizing freeburn challenges with public groups in Burnout Paradise. I wanted a good private multiplayer experience in Forza 3, but I knew finding people for clean, fun sim racing was much more difficult than asking idiots not to crash into each other and just hit a ramp. Again, I hesitated.

This is the part of the story where mattjam3000 and Pax come in, helping to create Race Nights I was still too cowardly to step up and try. I've devoted myself each week to joining in and helping create interesting events for people who aren't tremendously serious about sim racing, but like having douchebag-free fun. Thankfully, countless like-minded folks have joined me for this cause.

At least I was right about the Giant Bomb community. It would've been much harder to find a group of humorous, casual, and competitive players in a sim racing community, as counter-intuitive as that might sound.

One Year

So it was to stand, that every Thursday Forza 3 players and Giant Bomb users from around North America would join us for loads of random races and events. We've cracked loads of jokes, created tons of Race Night memes, and taken part in strange events that could probably define us as mentally imbalanced.

Car Soccer is quite popular during Race Night.
Consider the GB100, where we nearly ran 100 laps around Silverstone and Le Mans in the span of 6 hours (nearly killing FlipperDesert in the process). Consider the Miatathon, in which we spent hours in hand-numbing races dictated by smooth driving and fuel mileage. Consider the American Heritage Event, which...no one attended, so never mind that. Consider Car Soccer, an event inspired by YouTube footage that's become a weekly staple of knocking a Lotus Elan around. Consider Clunker Pushing, an original idea of ours based on pushing a Datsun up an otherwise unclimbable mountain.

Consider that we've taken all these ideas and more, spread them out and repeated them over 52 weeks, and consider that many of us are still not bored with this game. Forza 3 is a powerful tool to bring together racing fanatics, and our continuous nature shows just how tight this group's become. Many of the regulars are people I'd consider friends in as much of a sense as online phantoms can be friends. Hell, I'm still trying to talk several regulars into attending PAX East with me. We are like-minded. We are brothers and sisters that love a good diversion from racing just as much as a great race. We are Race Night.

If that's not a sign that a game night can create a tight community of gamers and friends, then it's a sign that a game night can turn people like me into fucking lunatics.

Week 53

Touring cars during pre-season testing.
In under 20 hours, the Forza Race Night crew will begin our 53rd week of racing and whatever else we decide to do. This includes a new touring car mini-series called Giant Bomb GT, and several "throwback" races designed to celebrate the year of racing we've had. One of our regulars has even split off to start fielding the idea of a complementary Gran Turismo Race Night, and that's not even considering a potential NFS: Hot Pursuit race night in a few weeks. All this progress from our humble origins makes me feel pretty damn good. There's been times where I thought we wouldn't last, but the last few weeks have given me faith that we have to power to sustain a crowd of interested players without trouble. Even if we somehow don't last the year, I feel we've proven the value of dedicated game nights in the Giant Bomb community.

It's now November 4th, 2010, and tonight is one year of Forza Race Night. To everyone who has ever supported us, I thank you. I hope that when November 3rd, 2011 comes around, I'll have more reasons to be thankful for what the Giant Bomb community can help create in two years.    

(Pax has also written his thoughts here, and it's a great read about what keeps Race Night rolling.)

I feel it's only appropriate to add this montage of some of our best racing as a footnote to this long post. Thanks for reading, and I hope we're able to continue bringing the Giant Bomb community great Forza action for a long time to come.
#1 Edited by Trace (3549 posts) -
A community game night I help run has hit a milestone. I hope you won't mind if I ramble and reminisce a little.

On November 5th, 2009, a couple of American car fanatics on Giant Bomb, inspired by their European brethren, started a private lobby in Forza Motorsport 3. The turnout was mild but promising, and so began a weekly ritual of racing and generally screwing around with virtual cars we could never hope to afford in real life.

Hazard5040 and FlipperDesert duel in one of the first Race Nights.
It's now November 4th, 2010. 52 weeks have passed since "Giant Bomb Private Race Night: Yanks and Canucks Edition" began. What started as a whim amongst dedicated Giant Bomb users has turned into what is now known as Giant Bomb Forza Race Night, with the potential to attract full lobbies each week.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled that Forza Race Night has easily survived an entire year. The attendance and dedication is amazing, and I still don't think there's a single other game night on Giant Bomb that's lasted as long as ours (although I'm still more than willing to be proven wrong). Before I begin to write my lengthy thoughts on Forza Race Night's accomplishments, though, I'd like to thank a few people critical to the success of our game night.

Thank You

• First off, my greatest thanks go to mattjam3000. He was the originator of the idea of a private race night in Forza, albeit for European time zones. He proved there was enough interest in Forza, and helped inspire a North American Race Night. He's certainly one of, if not the founding father of Race Night, and we've always appreciated that. Also thanks to FlipperDesert for being one of the few other dudes to stick with the idea.
  • My second bit of thanks goes to the North American founder of Race Night, Pax. While I was sitting around with a thumb up my ass, hesitant to start an American Race Night, Pax took the initiative, and rallied together a great group of people for racing. He'd eventually get sick of hosting the lobbies, and turned the responsibility over to me, but to say his influence was that limited would be an outright lie. Pax picked the right time for Race Night, he gathered enough people to make it work, and he's done his damnedest to bring us all together as our own little community. I tried to replicate his success when I started Friday Night Blur, and quite frankly, I failed miserably. Often we joke about Pax being the force that holds Race Night together, but it's true: If it weren't for Pax, I highly doubt we'd have made it a year. He's a great dude with a hilariously brash attitude, and he has my utmost thanks for starting what I could not.
  • I also have to thank Keval N, Forza Race Night's best damn driver, for all he's done for Race Night. There was a time when participation dropped to dangerously low levels, but despite this, Keval showed up every week. He's rarely ever complained about a race choice, he's never started shit with other players, and he's a stand-up fellow. Keval is the rock that has kept Race Night alive in good times and bad times, and the numerous close races I've had against him are some of my favorites.
  • I have to thank all the other Race Night regulars, as well. Blarg joined us in our darker times and saw us into our current thriving days. Jugnutts, Beef Daddy, and the rest of the Nebraska crew also have provided us with loads of competition, as well as full lobbies. Slowbird's one of the few guys to give Keval constant competition, which is completely stunning in itself. Hay4z has...well, he's always been the quiet one, but we're starting to hear more of him and appreciate him joining us for so long, as well (even if he's the hardest damn guy to pass).
  • Of course, everyone else who's joined us over the weeks, especially in the early days, has my gratitude. I want to name a bunch of you, but I know I'll forget a name or two and hurt someone's feelings. Just know I'm very appreciative that you gave us a chance to succeed.
  • In that same note, I want to specifically thank gpbmike for being the only Whiskey Media staff member to attend Race Night. We probably seem like creepy stalkers at times, but we're always humbled and thankful when one of the Top Men acknowledges our game night.
  • Speaking of acknowledgment, I must thank ZombiePie for all the mentions he's given our events over the year. To my knowledge, we haven't gone out of our way to ask him to mention Race Night in the Community Spotlight, and yet he's noticed our little shindig and noted our accomplishments. He's supporting what I feel is a truly crucial part of Giant Bomb's community, and I'm glad he's given Race Night its due so willingly.
  • Finally, to anyone who's ever joined us for a race or two, thank you for contributing to a wonderful event. I hope you'll consider joining us again sometime in the future.

Rest assured that I could continue to drone on with my thanks and gratitude, and accept my deepest apologies if I didn't mention you.

Theory of a Race Night

I suppose that to truly explain what a year of Forza Race Night means to me, I first need to discuss my past involvements with auto racing and racing sims. I don't intend to sound like a crazed lunatic, but there's certainly a few reasons I've willingly dedicated so much time to this weekly affair.

I grew up a fan of auto racing. My father raced in Formula Ford, Can-Am, and briefly in Trans-Am, and my mother belonged to the Corvette Club in her youth. Racing and cars have always excited our family. Considering my dad's also been a tech geek most of his life, it's no surprise that I'd get into computers, and eventually, racing sims.

We've always put fun over traditional racing.
Fast forward to the era of broadband Internet, where reasonable online multiplayer racing finally became a decent possibility outside of select online services. I began to dabble somewhat in the multiplayer of various titles, from the NASCAR Racing series to Live For Speed. It's here where I began to notice an unsettling trend in online racing: People get damn serious about their racing most of the time. I'd turn away from racing leagues because of their strict punishments over even the most accidental of crashes, and people who spent hours every day running the same track over and over would laugh and look down at my more casual devotion to racing sims.

Perhaps I neglected to find fitting leagues or teams through ignorance, pickiness, and anger, but I knew very quickly the kind of group I wanted to roll with was rare, a cadre of players dedicated to enjoying themselves in casual competition. Racing is a wonderfully tense sport, but when your cars are mere polygons rather than expensive machines tied to your livelihood, I feel it's best to focus on the delightfully fun aspect more than the bitter competition. I didn't fit in well with a lot of racing sim communities for this reason, typically deemed as an immature joker, and I knew in the future I'd want to attempt to find like-minded people for fun, clean racing. I considered racing in public servers and lobbies, but after witnessing so many crashes and general dirty racing, I became disinterested in the idea. I needed to find a crew to roll with, damn it.

Naturally, that's where Forza Motorsport 3 and Giant Bomb come in. Eventually.

The Evolution

A photo of the original Buick Death Race in Forza Motorsport 2
I had toyed with the idea of a special type of racing in Forza Motorsport 2 with a friend, where we'd pick Buick Regal GNXes, paint them up like they were entering a demo derby, and racing them wildly around a track for giggles. While fun, we never could find enough people to join our venture, and the "Buick Death Race" was tabled for at least a year or so.

Not along after, Giant Bomb launched. I believed in the site's potential, and hoped that I might be able to find some like-minded people for good racing action. To be honest, I was hoping to find groups of people to play random Xbox Live games each week, as well. I'm a person who sincerely believes a community can strengthen and flourish when given the opportunity to game together. I still think Giant Bomb could benefit from more community game nights, perhaps organized through a site calendar to make their mere existence seem less intimidating.

...but I digress. Anyways, I never went through with any of the game night stuff because I'm a damn coward with social anxieties, so instead, I waited and lurked on the forums for years.

We've always been a little wild, too.
Enter Forza 3. Finally, a new racing game with loads of options and potential. My online social anxiety (and yes, that should baffle you) had subsided somewhat after I spent hundreds of hours hosting and organizing freeburn challenges with public groups in Burnout Paradise. I wanted a good private multiplayer experience in Forza 3, but I knew finding people for clean, fun sim racing was much more difficult than asking idiots not to crash into each other and just hit a ramp. Again, I hesitated.

This is the part of the story where mattjam3000 and Pax come in, helping to create Race Nights I was still too cowardly to step up and try. I've devoted myself each week to joining in and helping create interesting events for people who aren't tremendously serious about sim racing, but like having douchebag-free fun. Thankfully, countless like-minded folks have joined me for this cause.

At least I was right about the Giant Bomb community. It would've been much harder to find a group of humorous, casual, and competitive players in a sim racing community, as counter-intuitive as that might sound.

One Year

So it was to stand, that every Thursday Forza 3 players and Giant Bomb users from around North America would join us for loads of random races and events. We've cracked loads of jokes, created tons of Race Night memes, and taken part in strange events that could probably define us as mentally imbalanced.

Car Soccer is quite popular during Race Night.
Consider the GB100, where we nearly ran 100 laps around Silverstone and Le Mans in the span of 6 hours (nearly killing FlipperDesert in the process). Consider the Miatathon, in which we spent hours in hand-numbing races dictated by smooth driving and fuel mileage. Consider the American Heritage Event, which...no one attended, so never mind that. Consider Car Soccer, an event inspired by YouTube footage that's become a weekly staple of knocking a Lotus Elan around. Consider Clunker Pushing, an original idea of ours based on pushing a Datsun up an otherwise unclimbable mountain.

Consider that we've taken all these ideas and more, spread them out and repeated them over 52 weeks, and consider that many of us are still not bored with this game. Forza 3 is a powerful tool to bring together racing fanatics, and our continuous nature shows just how tight this group's become. Many of the regulars are people I'd consider friends in as much of a sense as online phantoms can be friends. Hell, I'm still trying to talk several regulars into attending PAX East with me. We are like-minded. We are brothers and sisters that love a good diversion from racing just as much as a great race. We are Race Night.

If that's not a sign that a game night can create a tight community of gamers and friends, then it's a sign that a game night can turn people like me into fucking lunatics.

Week 53

Touring cars during pre-season testing.
In under 20 hours, the Forza Race Night crew will begin our 53rd week of racing and whatever else we decide to do. This includes a new touring car mini-series called Giant Bomb GT, and several "throwback" races designed to celebrate the year of racing we've had. One of our regulars has even split off to start fielding the idea of a complementary Gran Turismo Race Night, and that's not even considering a potential NFS: Hot Pursuit race night in a few weeks. All this progress from our humble origins makes me feel pretty damn good. There's been times where I thought we wouldn't last, but the last few weeks have given me faith that we have to power to sustain a crowd of interested players without trouble. Even if we somehow don't last the year, I feel we've proven the value of dedicated game nights in the Giant Bomb community.

It's now November 4th, 2010, and tonight is one year of Forza Race Night. To everyone who has ever supported us, I thank you. I hope that when November 3rd, 2011 comes around, I'll have more reasons to be thankful for what the Giant Bomb community can help create in two years.    

(Pax has also written his thoughts here, and it's a great read about what keeps Race Night rolling.)

I feel it's only appropriate to add this montage of some of our best racing as a footnote to this long post. Thanks for reading, and I hope we're able to continue bringing the Giant Bomb community great Forza action for a long time to come.
#2 Posted by Mmmslash (2166 posts) -

I just want to say, although I only ever made a single appearance on Race Night, I couldn't be happier that you folks exist.

#3 Posted by Magicallystoopid (467 posts) -

I'm not a former regular.  I'm a regular that has an uncooperative system and no money in his pocket.

#4 Posted by JJOR64 (18911 posts) -

Big ups to the Forza 3 GB community being more organized then the SF4 GB community.                    :)

#5 Posted by Bouke (1401 posts) -

Congrats!
#6 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1862 posts) -

Thanks for organizing this awesome event! Glad I could attend the first 20 or so, before life took over...if things ever level off, hopefully I can return.

#7 Posted by beef_daddy (97 posts) -

Thanks for hosting this great event, lots of great times every week. 

#8 Posted by slowbird (1642 posts) -

Dude, your dad raced in Trans-Am?  When?  I want details!

Also, I am totally not baffled by the concept of online social anxiety.  I still get it sometimes when joining a new forum.

Lastly, you know we have to do a Buick Death Race on Race Night now, right?

#9 Posted by Soap (3566 posts) -
@Mmmslash said:
" I just want to say, although I only ever made a single appearance on Race Night, I couldn't be happier that you folks exist. "
This. 

It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know how awesome this event sounds. Keep it going!
#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14557 posts) -

I've always meant to join in on this at some point, but I always forget about it. One of these days!!  (Maybe today! :D)

#11 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

Congrats guys. I look forward to more crazy videos from these events.

#12 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -
@Magicallystoopid said:

" I'm not a former regular.  I'm a regular that has an uncooperative system and no money in his pocket. "

I didn't mean to make it sound like you weren't interested or had stopped attending by choice. My bad with that wording.

@slowbird said:

" Dude, your dad raced in Trans-Am?  When?  I want details!  Also, I am totally not baffled by the concept of online social anxiety.  I still get it sometimes when joining a new forum.  Lastly, you know we have to do a Buick Death Race on Race Night now, right? "

I had to do a bit of digging, since old race results are hard to find in this day and age, but here's a listing of 1982 results I found him on. He's tenth in the Road Atlanta results. For some humor, check the Brainerd results. He's third there, but who's first is more amusing (especially since he didn't typically enter races under that name).

As for Buick Death Races...we have tried them, and you know...maybe we'll have to do one tonight.   

@UnsolvedParadox said:
" Thanks for organizing this awesome event! Glad I could attend the first 20 or so, before life took over...if things ever level off, hopefully I can return. "
Yeah, I know you're busy as hell, and we'd love to have you back if you ever got the chance to return. Thought I'd say that explicitly since I've forgotten to reply to a few of your messages on Xbox LIVE.

As for everyone else... you're always welcome to join us! The first race tonight (Giant Bomb GT) will probably be the most serious business thing we've ever done, but beyond that, it's Race Night as always.
#13 Posted by slowbird (1642 posts) -
@PsEG:  dude, your dad raced with Paul Newman.  FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

You should look at http://www.racingsportscars.com btw.  They have a lot of old racing pictures and race results.  It's where I got most of my Trans-Am and IMSA photos.  (Though they try to stop you from saving them now, but Firefox lets you do it anyway.)
#14 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -
@slowbird: Oh my God, that site's amazing -- thank you for linking it! I can't speak for the accuracy of the results or the races for each car, but there are definitely shots of cars that I've seen before in there. I'm floored. I'll have to show my dad his page and see what he thinks.
#15 Edited by Jugnutts (434 posts) -

I want to thank Laz, Pax and everyone that attends GBRN. It is an event that I look forward to every Thursday and I am to the point now where even my wife knows to tell other people that Thursdays are off limits because Juggs is busy with race night. 

I look forward to all the fun and chaos that year two will bring!
#16 Posted by slowbird (1642 posts) -
@PsEG:  no problem dude.  I'm surprised more people don't know about it.  It's almost like the Giant Bomb of road racing.
#17 Posted by pakx (922 posts) -

i'll have a second big shmultzy blog post about GBPRN which i'll be writing and posting after tonight's preceedings. it's been a wonderful year. the philosiphy of  "fun > competition" has kept us alive, and the dick jokes didn't hurt either. in all sincerity, i love my fellow racers like brothers.

#18 Posted by ZombiePie (5587 posts) -
@PsEG:  Dude you guys are famous:

Congrats Guys! It's been an Honor.
#19 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -
@ZombiePie said:
" @PsEG:  Dude you guys are famous:

"
So I noticed! I'm insanely honored (and pleasantly flabbergasted) by this.

It's also worth pointing out that I have you and Ryan Davis to thank for this retweet, as well. Thanks for giving our little weekly gathering a shout out!
#20 Posted by Jugnutts (434 posts) -

Very awesome!

#21 Posted by slowbird (1642 posts) -
@ZombiePie: Dude, sweet!  This is why I love Giant Bomb.
#22 Edited by Coldfront (256 posts) -

Wow that was a long post that I gladly read. Laz I don't think you give yourself enough credit for how much you have held together Race Night and for that sir I give you a round of applause. Congrats to everyone else its been fun and will continue to be. 

Edit: Except for you Keval you fast asshole

#23 Posted by Red12b (9079 posts) -
@PsEG said:
" @ZombiePie said:
" @PsEG:  Dude you guys are famous:

"
So I noticed! I'm insanely honored (and pleasantly flabbergasted) by this.  It's also worth pointing out that I have you and Ryan Davis to thank for this retweet, as well. Thanks for giving our little weekly gathering a shout out! "
That is... supremely awesome. 
#24 Posted by Shirogane (3563 posts) -

Ah, i contributed to 2 or 3 of these nights... 
But my 360 no longer has an internet connection and i no longer have a Gold sub for Live. =( 

It was fun though. Much funs.
#25 Edited by FlipperDesert (2081 posts) -

It's been entertaining watching the race night evolve from a couple of crazy GMT players and Laz trying out stupid gametypes to see what worked ("I know! One of us drives backwards, and we have realistic damage!") into what it is now. I have especially fond(?) memories of Hazard absolutely destroying my Porsche SUV in a demolition derby with realistic damage, Matt driving his Datsun on steroids and me driving like a dick and causing many collisions while Laz provided some basic coverage of it all. I was sad when the EU one stopped happening, and I wish I was able to stay up late enough to play the American race night. Regardless, I had a blast and am surprised I lasted that long playing it online.

Congratulations on a full year, Laz and Pax, I'm glad to see GB members still trying to break the physics engine by launching a small car across the test track using a bigger one and I hope it keeps happening.

Edit: Also, fuck the GB100, I still get exhausted when I think about that. "Wow, Flipper's getting really good lap times now!" "urrrrghrrghhhh *chokes*"

#26 Edited by mattjam3000 (434 posts) -

First off, massive props go out to Laz PsEG and Pax. These gentleman where  guaranteed regulars every single race night from the get go. When I started race night I could be sure there would be at least 3 of us. On top of that came FlipperD, Hazard and many more.

As the weeks went by the fun increased, the crazy game modes the guys come up with where amazing. Once it was set up, I sat on my arse and watched the guys come up with some great ideas, and fun prevailed. Land Rovers, no assists and a downhill circuit are the best fun I've had on any racing game. It was sad to close the EU race night, but from the get go the user base was clearly North America. I am so pleased that Pax kept race night going, and he deserves all the praise he is given because organising a group of people you don't know from a website is not easy, to do it for a year is a god damn miracle.  I did not lose my willingness to bring the community together, right now we have a fifa 11 community night going, and everyone is free to join, but nothing will live up to the Race Night.. this is where it is at!!!!

Once again thanks to Laz for this blog post and the rest of the guys who are keeping race night strong. You are not only a symbol of Forza, you are proof that a bunch of random duders can get on a forum, organise an event and go do some god damn racing. When it comes to it, there is always time for some Dodge Ram TAKE DOWN CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (This message is not endorsed by Dodge, they just make a kick ass truck)

#27 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -

congrats.. i wish i had Forza 3 so i could join :< 

#28 Posted by mudmonster (1 posts) -

Congrats on the achievement, should join one of these nights then

#29 Edited by Hoss360 (51 posts) -
#30 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -
#31 Posted by cjmabry (485 posts) -

Dang. I need to start playing Forza so I can get competent enough in-game to join you guys haha. Shouldn't have spent all my time painting I guess. 

Keep up the great work though. I'll be brushing up this week and see if I can join next Thursday.

#32 Posted by Hoss360 (51 posts) -
@PsEG said:
" @Hoss360 said:
" this was also featured on forzamotorsport.net's official weekly blog... congrats guys!
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/blogs/turn_10s_forza_motorsport_blog/archive/2010/11/05/forza-motorsport-3-week-in-review-11-5.aspx "
Consider my jaw dropped. I hadn't even looked at that week in review yet, but I couldn't fathom us being mentioned like that. I continue to be embarrassingly flattered and flabbergasted by how this has rounded the 'net.  Thanks for pointing this out, Hoss! "
well, i'm a member on this site, but i'm on fm.net a lot more...
but i'm a moderator over there... ;)
#33 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@PsEG: 

Congrats guys!  I realized this had to be going about a year when I logged in to F3 after all this time and saw it had been about 1 year since I put up my Chie car/ran my little contest way back when.  I was in only for the first couple weeks of this before getting wrapped up in the car design section, and finally moving on to other games.  I still see you folks hangin out in the race lobby every Thursday, keep it goin!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.