Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 3

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2009

Turn 10's third installment in the Forza series. Forza Motorsport 3 offers 100 tracks and 400 cars with full customization, as well as video editing and uploading.

Should I Even Bother Designing Decals?

CraigAA1028

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By CraigAA1028

I am not an artist, I have rarely used Photoshop, and I have never played a Forza game before. I'm really interested in this installment and the really like the designs I'm seeing. But, is it even worth me trying? I mean, some of these designs are damn near photo realistic. How did they get so good? Would I have to dedicate months to learning that stuff? Should I even try?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

I wouldn't bother making something photo realistic, but anyone can do simple pixel artwork or copy some basic racecar designs, that's what I did, and I made a good deal of in-game credits that way (in Forza 2).

As far as the photoreal stuff, there is an artistic requirement, but it's more patience IMO.  You have some JPG or something you want to put in the game?  You'll have to map it out with grids and take the time to get every little dot and detail in the right place.  It's not worth it for most people.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By CL60

You have to have a whole lot of patience and some artistic talent for the photo realistic stuff.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

u need to have patience when doing it. it is very hard to do. i barely could make kenny or wind waker link in forza 2. it took me a while to do it.  if u really want to do then get a image and pretty much draw on it to make it very basic shape. just a tip u can change the shape of a shape to be one pixel.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @Diamond said:
    " I wouldn't bother making something photo realistic, but anyone can do simple pixel artwork or copy some basic racecar designs, that's what I did, and I made a good deal of in-game credits that way (in Forza 2).  As far as the photoreal stuff, there is an artistic requirement, but it's more patience IMO.  You have some JPG or something you want to put in the game?  You'll have to map it out with grids and take the time to get every little dot and detail in the right place.  It's not worth it for most people. "
    What he said. You also have to ask yourself. Do you enjoy designing decals? If so, then do so at your heart's content. You may not be very good at it but eventually you'll get better at it.
    dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By dethfish

I gave up on the photo realistic stuff about 20 minutes after I started. Try making just some basic designs like this. I think they look better on cars then those photo realistic designs do anyways. Lately I've been making video game sprites on my cars. They're pretty easy to make and they look awesome when your done.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Renahzor

Yeah....  just start with anything simple.  Once you get into faces, anime characters, or very complex pictures you have to be really really good with the tools.  being limited to a bunch of shapes means you have to get creative and know how to add more layers and gradients to get that precise look you need. 

SILIK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By SILIK

You should try to replicate the image you want to do. And you should do it so that you put a grid on top of your image. You can easily do so if you have photoshop for instance. And after that try to replicate every frame you have of the image. This is the easiest way to do some more realistic stuff...

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#9  Edited By Sin4profit

It all depends on the designs you're trying to do. So far i've done my two designs from scratch having never used a Forza editor before (you can check out my storefront @ Sin4profit  only two designs i've made so far).
    It takes a lot of practice to figure out how the system works and odd little workarounds here and there ( like today i just found out how to mirror a grouped vinyl set and use it back in editing mode.)

Once you get use to the system it should be easy enough (though maybe time consuming, especially as yer first learning) to duplicate designs by adding a grid overlay to the image you want to duplicate. Also, with photorealistic pictures you'll most likely want to posterize the image and then use the grid system.

You can do all this with  Paint.net  and get the add on for it called  Grid Maker 2.0  It's all free stuff.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Bouke
    @CraigAA:
    I'm not the gifted designer myself, but i do my best and having a lot of fun with it. Just start out with something easy you feel you can handle before diving into the difficult stuff. I'm actually spending way more time designing then racing!
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By unsolvedparadox

It's worth trying, I have a few really basic designs to attempt when I finally get around to this option.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.