60FPS in 720p or 1080p?

#1 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1031 posts) -

So I've been hearing many things around the internet but can't get a definite answer. Does this game run at 60FPS at 720p or 1080p?

#2 Edited by Falconer (1681 posts) -

All Xbox 360 games are in 720p, and are just upscaled on 1080p televisions.

#3 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1031 posts) -

@ShaggyChu: So I'm assuming that the 60FPS won't be affected by which resolution I choose right?

#4 Edited by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

@RebelOne: No, because I think his point is that you're not really changing anything about how the game runs by picking a resolution. Seems locked at 60 in 1080p on my TV.

#5 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1031 posts) -

@wrathofconn: Cool thanks!

#6 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@RebelOne: Side info: the Xbox 360 automatically detects what resolution your TV is. Unless you're able to manually change the resolution on your TV, you can't change what the 360 runs at.

#7 Edited by louiedog (2335 posts) -

@ShaggyChu said:

All Xbox 360 games are in 720p, and are just upscaled on 1080p televisions.

I'm pretty sure there are a handful of 1080p games. I think NBA Homecourt and a Tennis game were, as well as a few others. There are also many games that aren't even 720p. There was a lot of commotion when Halo 3 came out because it was something like 640p.

#8 Posted by FritzDude (2253 posts) -

Why do you make a thread here and get a good answer and later on ask the exact same question on the official Forza forums? The resolution doesn't affect the game's framerate because of the native resolution which is around 720p. Choosing 1080p only upscales the image to a 1920x1080 resolution in a native 1280x720p resolution which will not affect the overall framerate. You will have a good 60 frames per second image on both 720p and 1080p.

#9 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@ShaggyChu said:

@RebelOne: Side info: the Xbox 360 automatically detects what resolution your TV is. Unless you're able to manually change the resolution on your TV, you can't change what the 360 runs at.

Then what's this option for?

#10 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

@Swoxx: Huh... I could have sworn last time I went to look for that setting I couldn't change it anymore. I just turned on my Xbox to double check, and yup, it's there. I feel dumb now.

#11 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@ShaggyChu: That's ok, duder. I still like you despite of this incident.

#12 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1031 posts) -

@FritzDude: Thanks, your answer seems to be the one I understand the most. Also I submitted the thread in FM.net but it had to be approved so I went here for the time being.

#13 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1553 posts) -

Games run natively at 720p and the Xbox then upscales them to 1080p if you have it set to output at that resolution. I want to say there have been a handful of cases a few years back where games run at 720p performed better than on a 1080p TV. I could just be imagining it though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.