Anyone else feel the economy in this is gonna be totally broken?

#1 Posted by Devil240Z (3261 posts) -

I mean you drive a car for a handful of events and all the parts for that manufacture become free? why do they even bother charging for them in the first place? I mean I could undertand getting a 100% discount after winning a couple hundred events with cars from one manufacture.

My favorite part in The forzas and gran turismos is the early game. Being totally broke and trying to scrape together cash to get a new exhaust or something.

#2 Posted by Falconer (1681 posts) -

When I saw the title of this thread I thought it would be about the massive amount of credits one can earn, and the fact that one can buy cars with real money thanks to tokens.

Upgrade parts for cars have always been stupid cheap. The only time you need to think about the cost is if a group of people is doing a budget car race (which Race Night will occasionally do). Cost of parts is the last thing that could potentially break the economy of Forza 4.

#3 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Of course the economy is going to be broken. It's a real world simulator.

#4 Posted by Trace (3549 posts) -

It seems Turn 10's working towards making parts stupid cheap and certain cars incredibly expensive. I'm a little iffy on the parts cheapening, myself, but I only had issues affording upgrades for the first hour or two in Forza Motorsport 3, so it might not be as much of an issue as expected.

Affinity won't make engine/drivetrain swaps free, so those might also cost more. I'm hoping so, as while I enjoyed turning every vehicle into a 4WD fun machine, it felt a little...unnatural.

Moderator Online
#5 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

Well done

#6 Posted by Bouke (1401 posts) -

Pretty sure the economy would be fine, with over 500 cars you can buy and all the stuff on the storefront.

#7 Posted by slowbird (1629 posts) -

I'm pretty excited about cheap/free upgrades, considering I blew several million credits in Forza 3 just by buying lots of cars and tuning the shit out of all of them and then buying duplicates of some of those cars and also tuning those cars. I mean, I could have used those credits to save up for a Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe instead! Also, some of the car-owning achievements will require crazy amounts of credits, so this is a pretty good thing.

#8 Posted by Jace (1092 posts) -

I think I'm going to go primarily Nissan, work my way up to the GT-R via the 370z, and then tune the GT-R to take me through 90% of the rest of the game. You'd be surprised what 750bhp will do for a GT-R, given the right tuning/parts.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

I like the focus on buying cars and not parts. The fun is in the tuning anyway. I was always annoyed when I wanted to try and take a low class car and make it work in high class races, invested a ton of credits and it turned out to be a waste cause it's too hard to drive or whatever.

#10 Posted by gnarlycore (85 posts) -

Yea I'm fine with it, more credits for cars is a good thing.

#11 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

@HandsomeDead said:

*Slow clap*

#12 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

I actually think this is a pretty good change. The economy in forza is always messed uo anyway, this gives me more incentive to buy and upgrade more cars, buy more vinyls, tunes etc, and just spend more money instead of saving it "just in case" I need to upgrade a car for some reason.

Beyond that, I had millions of credits after a few weeks in F3 thanks to a couple of vinyl sales taking off. Having the excess credits made me buy car designs, vinyls, etc, and I hope that is what happens here too, more people on the market place is good!

#13 Posted by Grnd_Lb_Knt (179 posts) -

Turn10 has a few ways to get money out of the system. One of them is Unicorn Cars. Especially now that they have a separate tab in the AH for this.

#14 Posted by Elazul (1327 posts) -

Oh, come on dude, it doesn't really matter. You earned so much money in 3 that, once you'd put a few hours in, the upgrades might as well have been free.

#15 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

I think Forza 3's was broken. It was too ridiculous to attain some of the cars. It became a metagame of buying/selling cars for profit in the AH for me.

#16 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

So my 2p here- coming from someone who hasn't played 'simulation' racing since Gran Turismo 4, and might actually buy this Forza, one of the things that bugged me late game in GT was when I would win all this money and go on a 'car collector' binge, upgrading and specing all the cars cost more than just buying the cars.  Rewarding me for racing a brand of cars by making upgrades free is something that makes my 'collector' side really excited.  Plus if I were to get on a run of tuning a car for a track by hand for the best time, having upgrades free makes that just a little bit better.

#17 Posted by isomeri (1223 posts) -

I was worried about this before playing the game. In Forza 3 I tended to stick with a single car for a long time, upgrading it as I needed. In Forza 4 however, you get new cars so quickly that I've really only upgraded a car on two or three occasions. I really enjoy the fact that I'm able to set goals of buying an Enzo for example, without having to worry too much about spending money elsewhere. The way the game let's you pick from a few different cars every time you gain a level, really makes you more invested in those choices and more attached to those cars. The other worry that I and others had was how you get a multitude of high-end cars right off the bat, if you import your profile from Forza 3. One of my favorite parts of the Forza-games has always been the RPG-like progression from car-to-car, and I was afraid that this would be broken. But I've found that as long as you'r willing to resist the temptation to jump straight in to the high-end races, and basically stick with the cars awarded to you, there is no issue with the import-feature. In fact, on a couple of occasions now I've ended up really needing the imported cars when I didn't have a fitting car for an event in my garage, and didn't want to spend a ton of money on a car which would be fast enough to compete in said event.

#18 Posted by Gre (154 posts) -

I saw the title of this thread and thought it was referring to the real-world economy. Yes, it is going to be broken.

#19 Posted by ICryCauseImEmo (522 posts) -

I kinda of agree, I mean I have not gotten the chance to really play much i'm only like Driver Level 4, and Nissan level 4. However I'm already at 100% free parts? I kinda agree it's a silly thing. At least in early game I feel the discount should be close to 15-20% not a full 100%. Late game I could see a higher discount a viable option, however I do loved the feeling of coming into a game with a crappy car working my way up to something affordable and still having little money to upgrade it. We will see where it goes from here.

Also the car token thing, I honestly think is laughable, not really sure why anyone would do such a thing but to each their own? I guess it's like micro transactions so.

#20 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I think the free upgrades is a great idea, it means if I want to buy a new car and soup it up I gain massively by racing it before upgrading it.

#21 Posted by Vinny_Says (5685 posts) -

be thankful for that at least, what I want to know is who bid 999,999,999 CR on that HKS rally car....I'm at level forty with 6 seasons done and don't even have 2 million yet.

#22 Posted by Lnin0 (146 posts) -

More money for cars is a good thing.

Tuning is a unnecessary money sink that only punishes those who like to manually tune.

If you manually upgrade and tune you have to buy a lot of parts to find just the right combination. This can result in wasting 100,000 pts just to tune a car. There should be no reason that I am punished because I like to tune cars myself rather than use auto-tune. I thought this game was all about everyone doing it their way?

The other solution could have been for T10 to keep affinity like it was in F3 but add a 'test drive' and 'check out' to the upgrade store. So you can mix and match parts to your hearts content but don't pay for them until you check out.

#23 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
@Vinny_Says said:

be thankful for that at least, what I want to know is who bid 999,999,999 CR on that HKS rally car....I'm at level forty with 6 seasons done and don't even have 2 million yet.

I'm assuming someone modded for that, like what happened in Forza 3. Someone put a pink VW Rabbit up, and a guy on GameFAQs bought it for one billion credits seeing as he could give himself any amount he wanted. I hope this game isn't modded to death as well.
#24 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@Lnin0 develop affinity and parts are no cost
#25 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -
@Lnin0 maybe you missed what this entire thread is about. Once you reach manufacturer affinity level 4 all parts except engine and drivetrain swaps are 100% free for every car from them. In addition you gain credits extremely fast. This is a good change, because tuners no longer need to spend money to try out parts. This basically took one of the money drains out of the game, hence the OPs question.

So far it seems more fun to me, I'm buying more cars, and will have more money for fun storefront stuff!
#26 Posted by SpencerTucksen (423 posts) -

I think this is actually a good thing. if you had to take time to earn the money for EVERYTHING, it'd be 100 hours before you unlocked everything. Hell, with hundreds of cars, it'd take hundreds upon hundreds of hours.

#27 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

So I kinda dig the auction system and the economy of this game.  You get lots of money, cars are generally costly, the 'slower' cars by any given manufacturer are not that expensive, and affinity is easy to develop.  Which then allows you to max out a car, or get a nicer car and have free upgrades.
 I've also dabbled a bit in the notion of auctioning off my tuned gift cars (after developing affinity to make tuning except swaps free) for a little side cash.  It's been an iffy proposition, seemingly controlled by the player population online and your starting price (as well as car's value) but i've seen some success in selling cars for about the buying price (though tuned) which is a win to me.  I think of the auction house as a way to get rid of cars for more than the 'used car pricing' I'm used to in the Gran turismo games.  Also, I bought the british racing green aston martin for 270k (a steal considering I'm not at level 45 or whenever those cars come in yet) and own more than one of the GT2 gift cars thanks to the auction house. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.