Giant Bomb Weekly Timed Challenge

#1 Edited by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

With Thursday Race Night out there to scratch the itch for all of us who enjoy racing against each other, it seems like the leader boards are a great way to compete against each others times and improve our club ranking on the global leaderboards. That being said a thorough perusal through our car club's leader board shows very few car class / race track combinations that everyone has done. Seems like the best way to populate the boards and get some competition is to have a weekly event with a specific class and track (and even specific section if so desired).

Here is a direct link if you don't know what I'm talking about - http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/community/leaderboard.aspx or you can access the leader boards in game.

WeekLeaderboard TypeCar ClassEnvironmentTracksWinnerWinning Time
13TBD
12CircuitR1Indianapolis Motor SpeedwayGrand PrixVigilante HD00:01:11.807
11CircuitCRally di PositanoAllVigilante HD00:02:10.169
10CircuitSCircuit de CatalunyaAlllvlxANTHMANxlvl00:03:51.204
9P2PDNurburgring NordschleifeAllIvIxANTHMANxIvI00:10:15.366
8P2PBFujimi KaidoNew DownhillSushiXXX00:04:59.967
7CircuitR3Twin Ring MotegiAllSushiXXX00:03:52.849
6CircuitASunset Peninsula RacewayAllNat3TheGreat1300:05:20.715
5CircuitR2Suzuka CircuitFull CircuitNat3TheGreat1300:01:54.953
4CircuitANurburgring NordschleifeFull CircuitSushiXXX00:08:17.818
3CircuitFInfineon RacewayAllSushiXXX00:05:35.857
2P2PSFujimi KaidoOld Down HillLaz PsEG00:03:35.602
1CircuitCHockenheimringAllLaz PsEG00:05:07.746

Here's the breakdown:

1) Assists and difficulty level - whatever you would like. All on, all off, a slight mixture, however you like to race is how you get to race.

2) Race week ends Monday at noon PST. Each challenge will then begin when it has been announced, if nothing has been announced by 10 am PST Tuesday morning I'll name the challenge (doubt this will ever happen).

3) Winner each week picks the following weeks' race. My XBL name is the same (j3ffro919), winner can send me a message either here or on XBL and I'll update this thread Tuesday morning.

4) Winner picks type (Circuit/Rivals/Drag/Etc), Car Class (F-X), Environment (Bernese Alps/Suzuka Circuit/Etc), and if they would like to break it down further to an individual part of that track they can.

5) You need to be in the Giant Bomb Car Club to win. I know there's a number of people waiting to get in, and I don't want to discriminate against them, but how the leader board is calculated is Overall, Car Club, or Car Club plus Friends and trying to coordinate everyone being friends with everyone else would be a nightmare.

6) Smack talk is highly encouraged and just this side of mandatory.

7) Please don't cheese the times. If there's a glitch way to race a car in a class it shouldn't be, please wait until the weekly contest is over to run it. This is mostly to challenge driving skill, and part of the fun is seeing the different cars in play, if everyone has to use the same car to even get close it is not nearly as fun.

Note: This is a continuation of this thread (http://www.giantbomb.com/forza-motorsport-4/61-33400/weekly-challenge-week-1-circuit-c-class-hockenheimring/35-521084/?page=1), just more appropriately named to last the test of time.

Edit: Switched up the table to read upwards instead of down, also updated/clarified the beginning of a challenge, no point in waiting til Tuesday morning if it's announced Monday afternoon.

#2 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

Should be a good challenge this week on Fujimi Kaido. I don't have an S class car tuned up yet, and am not too acclamated with Fujimi. Putting up a clean time will be quite the challenge.

#3 Posted by slowbird (1703 posts) -

I just set a decent time, but I know you guys can beat it.

#4 Posted by RandomHero666 (3181 posts) -

Prepare to meet the wrath of my F50 :P

#5 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

I shall be logging in to post a time tonight.  Holy shit that's... nevermind.  Only the one track.  May the best man win.  And balls to the rest of you.

#6 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@slowbird said:

I just set a decent time, but I know you guys can beat it.

Still hanging on...just barely.

Man am I getting my ass kicked hard. Stupid Fujimi Kaido.

#7 Posted by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

I'll see what I can do with this later today.

#8 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -

I'm just going to chime in here, since week 2 should be over with and I imagine we're going into week 3 tomorrow. If you thought there wasn't any activity in this challenge, check the leaderboards. You'll see we've done some major damage there. That alone is quite impressive.

My times were set even later this time around. I believe I took the lead with 2.5 hours to go with a 3:36.516, and then I hit 3:35.602 with 15 minutes left. Provided we're still working with PST here, I'm going to go ahead and declare that I've claimed victory in week 2. In the unlikely event that the end of daylight savings screwed up my timing (12:30 PM EST and 2:45 PM EST) and my times were late, I'll gladly step back and let the next fastest make the call.

I'll hold off on any uses of rule 6 until it's confirmed, but if I do get the choice for this week, it's going to be F Class on all circuit configurations of Infineon. I'll elaborate as to why later.

#9 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

I threw in the towel pretty quick on this challenge. I felt like I was in a pinball machine going down the hills of Fujimi Kaido.

#10 Edited by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@PsEG said:

I'm just going to chime in here, since week 2 should be over with and I imagine we're going into week 3 tomorrow. If you thought there wasn't any activity in this challenge, check the leaderboards. You'll see we've done some major damage there. That alone is quite impressive.

My times were set even later this time around. I believe I took the lead with 2.5 hours to go with a 3:36.516, and then I hit 3:35.602 with 15 minutes left. Provided we're still working with PST here, I'm going to go ahead and declare that I've claimed victory in week 2. In the unlikely event that the end of daylight savings screwed up my timing (12:30 PM EST and 2:45 PM EST) and my times were late, I'll gladly step back and let the next fastest make the call.

I'll hold off on any uses of rule 6 until it's confirmed, but if I do get the choice for this week, it's going to be F Class on all circuit configurations of Infineon. I'll elaborate as to why later.

Nope, no DST screwage, the win is yours. Sorry, I didn't post earlier to clarify, kind of a crazy day at the office. Also, sorry I didn't see this post, ignore the PM I sent you, I'll update the table in the first post.

#11 Posted by Trace (3553 posts) -

@j3ffro919 said:

Nope, no DST screwage, the win is yours. Sorry, I didn't post earlier to clarify, kind of a crazy day at the office. Also, sorry I didn't see this post, ignore the PM I sent you, I'll update the table in the first post.

Excellent! Just wanted to be sure, since I know there were a few late times last week.

Now, for that elaboration.

That Elaboration

During these challenges, I've been trying to push myself by going assist-less and tuning the setups on my own. Today, I went back on that somewhat by switching my steering from simulation to normal to help me retake first place. Not proud of that, but given Fujimi Kaido's quick turns and the speed I was scrubbing off by steering too far, it felt necessary.

I was prepared to make this week's challenge R2 at Infineon before seeing the insanely fast times I had to contend with this morning. Given that I don't have a car I like in R2 yet, and I don't want to resort to using TCS because I'm stubborn like that, throwing down such a challenge would be an easy way to hand next week's choice to someone else as I slip and spin around the track, beaten by my own stupid hubris.

Not yet. Not that way. I want a fighting chance to extend this streak at least a week longer.

Let's make this challenge something much easier to handle. In Forza 3, slow cars were my strength. If you want this week, you'll need to bring that statement into question.

Go attack Infineon. All of it. F Class.

#12 Posted by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

I know I won't stay in the lead for long (especially in the car I used, interested to see what y'all beat me with), but I have similarly been testing myself by turning manual w/ clutch on for these time trials, which probably means this is the turning point where I will keep it on forever. Definitely a fun little competition!

#13 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

did my best, we'll see how it holds up

#14 Posted by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

Awesome, beaten by a bunch of dudes using the Spark. Was pretty sure that would happen.

#15 Posted by Renahzor (991 posts) -

@wrathofconn: Pretty sure I could turn the same lap time in another F class, I think there's perhaps a RWD drivetrain swap for the ones that are a half dozen seconds faster. It took me about two hours of tuning and adjusting to beat your times in the Spark, its a weird situation where the class leaderboard car is also one that a ton of people have anyway as a starter car.

#16 Edited by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

@Renahzor: Yeah, I hear ya. I'm back in the lead for now on the total time, but I don't think I can get near the top stuff on the first circuit, which means none of my times will hold up haha. But for the record, I'll be fairly surprised if the winner this week wasn't using the Spark. (I'll be even more surprised if it's me!)

#17 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

And with ~2 hours to go Laz is .177 away from making it a three peat. We cannot let this happen. And by we, I mean, one of you, who isn't currently working and more importantly, doesn't suck like I do, needs to not let this happen.

#18 Edited by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

11 minutes. Will SushiXXX hold off our reigning champ?

It's official, congrats to SushiXXX with a winning time of 00:05:35.857. If you would please post your choices (race type, class, track, which course, etc) or PM me and I'll update the first post.

#19 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

lol the time that I thought was the worst effort out of the 3 turned out to be the one that held up. I didn't have much faith in winning F class, really came down to the last few minutes  :o 

I apologize in advance for anyone who hates 'the ring'..... 

~ Circuit - Class A - Nurburgring - Nordschleife 

I was going to pick S because the type of cars on the leaderboard seemed more diverse, but we've done an S event already and I noticed we only have 3 people on A leaderboard for the ring with the best being over 11000th place...

#20 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

Awesome pick. I'll be the first to use your name disparingly, not because I hate Nurburgring, but because I'm sure I'll put together a number of solid laps only to botch it on one bad turn...

Regardless, congrats again, looking forward to this week.

#21 Edited by wrathofconn (1460 posts) -

@SushiX: Figured you'd take it! RWD swap really does the damage in F. Also, I still totally feel vindicated for not using the Spark.

Nurburgring should be a fun one. No work today, so I'll be giving it a shot between Skyrim sessions this afternoon.

#22 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

And with a time of 8:17.818 SushiXXX hangs on to the title. What car/track set up are we going to be referring to you as a four letter word while racing this week?

#23 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

Let's try something faster than we have been.... Class R2 @ Suzuka Full Circuit. Seems to have a lot of different cars as contenders.

#24 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

And with an 11th Hour win, Nat3TheGreat13 swoops in to take it with a time of 00:01:54.953.

What's next weeks race?

#25 Posted by Nat3TheGreat13 (260 posts) -

@j3ffro919: How about A Class on Sunset Peninsula, All Tracks.

#26 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@Nat3TheGreat13: Awesome, sounds good.

#27 Edited by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

Yes! 20 minutes to go and still top 5...of...5...er.

And it's official, Nat3TheGreat13 repeats with a time of 5:20.715.

What's next?

#28 Posted by Nat3TheGreat13 (260 posts) -

@j3ffro919:Lets try R3 Class on Twin Ring Motegi, All tracks.

#29 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@Nat3TheGreat13: Awesome, ballsy, but awesome.

#30 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

And SushiXXX wins with a time of 3:52.849. What's next week?

#31 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

I'm a big Initial D fan and I enjoyed the last down hill race(especially since I rarely raced on Fujimi before), so let's try P2P, Fujimi Kaido, New Down Hill. Class B.

#32 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@SushiX: Very cool, just updated the first post, way to mix it up with the P2P call.

#33 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

SushiXXX walks away with it with a time of 4:59.967 beating...me.

What's your pick this week?

#34 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

P2P - Class D - Nurburgring - All Tracks 

Easier to digest portions of the ring

#35 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

IvIxANTHMANxIvI is this weeks winner, time is 00:10:15.366.

What's next?

#36 Posted by AnThMaN (7 posts) -

all tracks on catalunya in S class

#37 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

Sorry I didn't even get to post a time on my own selection lol - messed up my leg a bit few days ago so didn't get around to it. Eventually someone will win 3 in a row!

#38 Posted by AnThMaN (7 posts) -

it shall be me who wins three in a row mwahahahaha . Next week that extreme track on Viejo de Montserrat. X class lol

#39 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

this weeks winner lvlxanthmanxlvl by a hair, ill update fully later doin this from my phone.

#40 Posted by AnThMaN (7 posts) -

sushi and I probably could have kept going back and forth there for a while. I would like the GTR unicorn car for my reward ;)

#41 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

If I had it, it'd be yours, sorry man.

Any thoughts on next weeks contest?

#42 Edited by AnThMaN (7 posts) -

I figured that - thought I'd ask anyway :P Circuit - C Class - Positano - Full & Reverse ...It's one of the many tracks I've yet to race on (for the world tour achievement)

#43 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

And again, we have a two time champion only to be unseated by someone else.

Vigilante HD, 2:10.169.

What's next?

#44 Posted by VigilanteHD (4 posts) -

@j3ffro919: Indianapolis Grand Prix in R1?

#45 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@VigilanteHD said:

@j3ffro919: Indianapolis Grand Prix in R1?

And Vigilante wins over another weak field comprised mainly of me. With weekly participation dwindling to a minimum I'm kicking around putting a dozen or so cars from my stable up for each winner going forth to claim one, might help participation.

Anyone have any thoughts/input?

#46 Posted by SushiX (138 posts) -

race for pink slips? lol

#47 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -

I'll try to look up the challenge and post a time this week.  I really wanted to power through the world tour last week and now I have.  Of course, I'll also be playing to get checkboxes in all the single player events now, but my pace doesn't have to be so frenetic. 

Now if only I can quit my car collecting ways (and tuning) for a spare minute so I can post a time in these challenges.  I wish I had seen this past weeks challenge, R1 in Indy is close to up my alley.  So vigalante, post another fast one...

@j3ffro919: Have no real advice to dispense here, as if i want a car I'd have bought one.  Unless you have some crazy cars to give to the winner.

#48 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

Yeah, that's pretty much what kept me from doing that from the get-go. Money is pretty easy to come by, and if you've leveled up to 50 you should have a decent stash of random cars already.

I also like the idea of racing for pinks but not sure of the execution. Someone puts their car up, and sets a time, anyone who beats it with the same class car gets it? So if several people beat your time you gotta buy another one and ship 'em both out?

Sadly, I think this has run its course, 12 weeks is more than I thought it would last TBH, thanks to all those who participated though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.