In Case You're Wondering Why There Are No Porsches in Forza 4, it's Because of EA

#51 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

does anyone remember Need for Speed: Porsche? ah the good ol' days...

#52 Posted by Zlimness (548 posts) -

Fucking EA. Like I needed another reason to hate them.

#53 Posted by Regal (434 posts) -
@Megasoum said:

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

There are Ferraris in Shift 2.
#54 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

So we are back to mid-2000 EA again I see. They were doing so well for a while...well, in the not-being-dicks department anyway.

#55 Posted by clientkiller (69 posts) -

I think we're watching the slow death of EA and their bad business practices in general. I'm sad their won't be any porches in Forza as they were always the cars that were so difficult but also rewarding to drive.

#56 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Come on, EA, stop this bullshit already.

#57 Posted by ArcLyte (883 posts) -

@SaintMits said:

Who the fuck wants a Porsche anyway?

you clearly don't know much about cars.

#58 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

@skrutop said:

That's fucking lame. Are they going to go with rebranded modified Porsches, then?

Eh, I feel like going with RUF's are better than nothing... it was nice when they were in the Gran Turismo series as at least the RUF's.

#59 Posted by lizzard2 (53 posts) -

Well i guess Microsoft could say f*k it you cant have your game on our consol then :P ,they using that method anyways on other ocations.. (they good at blackmail)

#60 Posted by buft (3315 posts) -

will there be RUF?

#61 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2684 posts) -

Darn.

#62 Posted by Milkman (16618 posts) -
@Megasoum

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

Actually, he did say that. And he said they were willing to share to help the "racing ecosystem."
#63 Posted by TadThuggish (906 posts) -

At least Activision hasn't done a damn thing all year (mostly because their two relevant games only release in the fall).

Seriously, this has been multiple days in a row I've woken up to news articles about EA's scumbaggery. It sounds like they're less interested in toppling Activision in the "#1 Publisher" race and more interested in taking back their title of "#1 Dicks".

#64 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:

So we are back to mid-2000 EA again I see. They were doing so well for a while...well, in the not-being-dicks department anyway.

I know, right? They were doing so well, and then it's just been one small (or major) fuck up after another.
#65 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Did you need any more proof that EA are the standard setter in the video game industry? They do more nefarious underhanded deals in a week than Activision can do in a decade.

#66 Posted by Atary77 (502 posts) -

....can someone let me know when game publishers stop acting so damn childish?!

#67 Posted by ed1994 (6 posts) -

EA is being a big fat dick as of late. 

#68 Posted by sandwich_adjustment (685 posts) -

forza 4 should then have those RUF kit cars that look like porsches...just saw one today..looked like someone modeled a plastic porsche and stuck ontop of a chassis

#69 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

I just want to make a Jem reference, so I'll say that EA is truly outrageous.

#70 Posted by This_Dude (295 posts) -

Things like this only hurt the gamers.  The companies holding these licenses can make the decision to either help gamers, or help themselves.  They will almost always choose to help themselves and that is unfortunate.

#71 Edited by subyman (595 posts) -

Damn, what happened to the old saying "don't burn bridges?" It seems everyone in the videogame industry is so damn short sighted these days. Competition isn't about cutting the legs off of your opponent.

#72 Posted by Brendan (7734 posts) -

@Megasoum said:

Is there a link to that information?

#73 Posted by dagas (2791 posts) -

Never been a Porche fan anyway. The 911 have looked the same since the 60's with only minor changes. Not having Lambos or Ferraris would be a bigger dissapointment.

#74 Posted by MeatSim (10817 posts) -

Nobody wants to play nice with each other in the video game industry right now.

#75 Posted by Piglet (128 posts) -

All the people calling for or asking about RUF's in the game-READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE

#76 Posted by Siphillis (1291 posts) -

Thanks again, EA.

#77 Posted by TiE23 (298 posts) -

Ferrari > Porsche. You'd think that Turn10 would be able to strike a deal with EA and go "hey, you can can Ferrari is you let us have Porsche"...

Oh well, here come some RUF!

#78 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -

Nice, EA.

#79 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I'm sure EA will come around for a phat DLC pay day in a few months.  But yeah, I don't care that much for Porche.
#80 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

Gotta love exclusivity.

#81 Posted by Nekthand (31 posts) -

Man, that's a damn shame I won't get to drive the Porsche Cayenne.

#82 Posted by MuzykMann (59 posts) -

I was really pulling for EA over the past year or two. Johnny R seemed to be trying to put gamers first, embrace new IPs, take risks, and just generally keep the company on the up and up. Over the past month or so, that seems to have fallen through. Why the rude awakening EA? What changed to turn you all back into the scum of the gaming industry?

#83 Posted by Kraznor (1578 posts) -

Reading this just made me realize once again that no racing series outside of Burnout really matters to me, and that has no licensed cars. Its not about the cars, its about wrecking stuff in awe-inspiring ways.

#84 Posted by Munkatten (34 posts) -

Hey, an article that turns into obnoxious bullshit just three sentences in, must be the work of Alex Navarro!

Stopped reading after that, going to go elsewhere to read about this story.

#85 Posted by Brodehouse (9771 posts) -

EA didn't is charging 60 dollars for Madden! How dare they?! BRAWR!

That's it, I'm now officially becoming a corporate stooge, because the only other option is populist stooge and I'd rather wear a suit than a hookah shell necklace.

#86 Posted by Brodehouse (9771 posts) -
@Megasoum

Quiet, you. Hating on EA gets you bonus consumer credit currently, so all precedents are ignored in favor of turning them into Cthulhu worshipping cultists.
#87 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

EA is starting to make Activision look good.

#88 Posted by jagenheim (147 posts) -

@Shuborno said:

EA destroying all the good will they'd created with customers over the past few years must be pretty entertaining for Activision.

This.

#89 Posted by kalmis (1558 posts) -

That NFS Porsche was a good game, wish they brought that back

#90 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@Brodehouse said:
EA didn't is charging 60 dollars for Madden! How dare they?! BRAWR! That's it, I'm now officially becoming a corporate stooge, because the only other option is populist stooge and I'd rather wear a suit than a hookah shell necklace.
Puka. Not hookah. Hookah is a waterpipe.
#91 Posted by amardilo (118 posts) -

This sucks, hopefully they can add a few more RUF cars into Forza 4 and somehow later strike an agreement with EA to use Porsche cars and then release it as a free (unlikely) DLC pack.

#92 Posted by Trilogy (2648 posts) -

You stay classy, Electronic Arts.

#93 Posted by jasondesante (603 posts) -

RUF is owned by porsche, its like mazdasport (mazda) or nismo (nissan).

#94 Posted by Brodehouse (9771 posts) -

Also, if you're the kind of guy who is more concerned with what licensed cars are in your racing game rather than the gameplay you're just proving EA and Turn 10 right for making these deals. I could play a good racing game with imaginary cars as long as it was fun.

#95 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

There was not a single Ferrari in need for speed hot pursuit. Did EA just not ask turn 10 for access to ferrari or did turn 10 say no to EA?

#96 Posted by Cmdc00kie (46 posts) -

That'd be like Activision having exclusive rights to the M4A1, and no other shooter could have it.

#97 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1053 posts) -

@skrutop: Turn10 already has RUF for Forza 4. That's how you can tell Porche isn't in a racing game.

#98 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (280 posts) -

@Megasoum: I don't know if that's not part of this whole thing with Porsche. I think if they really cared about the Ferrari license on other competitive racing games they wouldn't have let Polyphony get it for Gran Turismo 5.

Not only has EA not let Turn 10 have the Porsche license, they've also denied it to Polyphony Digital since the existence of the series. They've always had to use RUF.

#99 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (280 posts) -

@numberThirtyOne: I love Alex Navarro's headlines. So sassy.

#100 Edited by GreggD (4486 posts) -

@bigsmoke77 said:

There was not a single Ferrari in need for speed hot pursuit. Did EA just not ask turn 10 for access to ferrari or did turn 10 say no to EA?

Actually, if memory serves, Ferrari are very picky about how their cars are portrayed in games. If they're being used as illegal street racing cars, they probably didn't want a part of that image.

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Brodehouse said:
EA didn't is charging 60 dollars for Madden! How dare they?! BRAWR!

That's it, I'm now officially becoming a corporate stooge, because the only other option is populist stooge and I'd rather wear a suit than a hookah shell necklace.
Puka. Not hookah. Hookah is a waterpipe.

Is that what we're calling it these days? Waterpipe? :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.