In Case You're Wondering Why There Are No Porsches in Forza 4, it's Because of EA

#151 Posted by FlipperDesert (2082 posts) -

I didn't drive them anyway, but this doesn't seem cool at all.

#152 Posted by Xeridae (42 posts) -

In Case You're Wondering Why There Are No Porsches in Forza 4, it's Because of EA and Porsche 


 
Fixed.
 

#153 Posted by FMinus (389 posts) -

Give me a Zastava Yugo or something instead...

#154 Posted by DuhQbnSiLo (2139 posts) -

Man this sucks, but thankfully i'm not a porsche guy anyway.

#155 Posted by Zohar (116 posts) -

Ultimately the Porsche brand belongs to Porsche.  I wouldn't be surprised if EA's hands were tied in this case.

#156 Posted by Grimi (113 posts) -

Wow this sucks, Porsche is a pretty big brand to omit completely, considering how many cars Forza has. This is another big nock at EA for me. I was really excited for Forza 4 and now i can't get one of the main cars i wanted because i couldn't preorder it at the right place and now i can drive any Porshes.

#157 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

EA and its crappy business practices are at it again :(  well atleast I still get to drive my ferraris

#158 Posted by Xsnipd (96 posts) -

No 9/11 GT3 for me. (Crying in the corner)

#159 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

Not a problem, it's not like it's Bugatti, Lamborghini, Ford or GM.

#160 Posted by SpaceGandhi (70 posts) -

Pfft...whatever.   

  87' Buick Regal all day! 
#161 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I'm not going to speculate until I hear EA out on this. For all I know, T10 could've been lowballing EA on this one. 
 
I mean, I don't think the inclusion of a certain brand of car is going to change the racing game landscape too much.

#162 Posted by TEAMHOLT (437 posts) -

@SpaceGandhi said:

Pfft...whatever.
87' Buick Regal all day!

FUCK YEAH!!!!

#163 Posted by tourgen (4431 posts) -

trademark laws might need a revision.  It's not like Turn10 wants to make a car and call it a Porsche - that would cause market confusion.  They just want to use the stupid shapes and badge gfx in a Video Game.  No market confusion.  Should be totally up to them (Turn10).

#164 Posted by theanticitizen (258 posts) -
@Megasoum While we respect EA’s need to run their business as they see fit, we’ve regularly collaborated in the past and hope we can find our way back to that approach. Forza had the exclusive license for all Ferrari cars, for example, on the Xbox and PC platforms. But at the end of the day, we’ve always found that we just weren’t willing to block other racing games from having Ferraris outright, as we believed that this would do nothing but hurt the racing ecosystem.
#165 Posted by wordfalling (193 posts) -

Seems to me the only downside to this is being unable to hear Jeremy Clarkson completely slag off Porsche's cars for being consistently ugly for thirty or so years.

#166 Edited by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

@extremeradical said:

I'm not going to speculate until I hear EA out on this. For all I know, T10 could've been lowballing EA on this one. I mean, I don't think the inclusion of a certain brand of car is going to change the racing game landscape too much.

I doubt it, Turn 10 has paid for the rights before. I doubt they would all of a sudden low ball them (and risk missing out on the 34 Porsche cars they had in F3), T10 wanted to do even more Porsche cars in F4 so I'm sure they were ready to pay for them. T10 even talk to people inside Porsche to try and get EA to work with them but to no avail. T10 is at least saying what happened, I've heard nothing from EA and probably won't.

#167 Posted by GreggD (4480 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD: Uh...that's what it is...so yes, that's what I'm calling it. Here, let me help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

I always thought it was just a multi-person bong. Well, whatever. Not like I need to know the specifics on weed and its tools.

It's not really used for weed. More like tobacco. I suppose some people use it for that in the US, but predominantly, it's been around for centuries, and it's used for tobacco.

I suppose it is different. I've no idea what part of the world you're from, but hookahs are used in the US almost exclusively by stoners. They even featured one in Half Baked, that movie where Dave Chappelle gets into wackey stoner hijinx.

#168 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -
@GreggD said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD: Uh...that's what it is...so yes, that's what I'm calling it. Here, let me help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

I always thought it was just a multi-person bong. Well, whatever. Not like I need to know the specifics on weed and its tools.

It's not really used for weed. More like tobacco. I suppose some people use it for that in the US, but predominantly, it's been around for centuries, and it's used for tobacco.

I suppose it is different. I've no idea what part of the world you're from, but hookahs are used in the US almost exclusively by stoners. They even featured one in Half Baked, that movie where Dave Chappelle gets into wackey stoner hijinx.

I'm from the US. I'm not saying they aren't or can't be used for weed. But even in the US, they're still predominantly used for tobacco.
#169 Edited by Paddles (33 posts) -

Its one thing for these large publishers to ramp up prices, slag off competition, require their own services (at least I can vote with my dollar), but by trying to get ahead of the competition by debilitating them rather than improving your product by a legitimate measure is something else.  
 
It may be a legitimate action on their part but its neither a honourable or considerate one.

#170 Posted by GreggD (4480 posts) -

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD said:

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@GreggD: Uh...that's what it is...so yes, that's what I'm calling it. Here, let me help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah

I always thought it was just a multi-person bong. Well, whatever. Not like I need to know the specifics on weed and its tools.

It's not really used for weed. More like tobacco. I suppose some people use it for that in the US, but predominantly, it's been around for centuries, and it's used for tobacco.

I suppose it is different. I've no idea what part of the world you're from, but hookahs are used in the US almost exclusively by stoners. They even featured one in Half Baked, that movie where Dave Chappelle gets into wackey stoner hijinx.

I'm from the US. I'm not saying they aren't or can't be used for weed. But even in the US, they're still predominantly used for tobacco.

I would love to see some kind of numbers, to back up this claim. I'm not saying you're a liar, but dude, come on. That's idealistic thinking.

#171 Posted by PXAbstraction (324 posts) -

EA has really been trying hard lately to take the "Biggest Dicks" title back from Activision.

#172 Posted by Krataur (346 posts) -

God dammit, EA, I need my Porsches!  And you had been acting pretty cool lately, too.

#173 Posted by Revenant86 (156 posts) -

This is Almost as bad as the time they bought Exclusive rights to the U.S military

#174 Posted by WiqidBritt (577 posts) -

not that I was interested in buying an EA racing game in the first place, but now I'm extra not gonna get any of the Shift games. Not a huge fan of 911's but, still kinda feels like it would be incomplete with out them.

#175 Posted by Reuben (622 posts) -

I call bullshite

#176 Posted by Minos (156 posts) -

EA is a piece of shit..... just like Shift!! 

#177 Posted by Ontheocho (185 posts) -

No one man should have all those Porsches.

#178 Posted by slowbird (1653 posts) -

The problem with this is that the only Porsches I like are the weird old ones like the 944 and 914, and RUF doesn't make a version of those as far as I know.

#179 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

Wow, thanks EA!

#180 Posted by HadesTimes (803 posts) -

So this whole thing sucks. I'm annoyed at both EA and Turn 10. And annoyed that we are actually at this point in licensing. Its just really sad.

#181 Posted by Gunharp (336 posts) -

I'm surprised this story is getting so much play on the net. This is pretty much the way it has been for Gran Turismo forever, they have never had a Porsche model. Obviously of course Turn 10 is making a stink about it, wanting to get the word out with the press. I'm going to miss the 914/6 the most in Forza 4, yes even more than the all mighty Porsche 962. Lastly they should have released this news earlier. This game ships in October they knew about this many months ago. Way to sit on it, and now distract from some real reveals. Yo does the 16 player MP work yet? Are you matching GT5's night/weather? lol

@EXCellR8 said:

way too much of this nonsense in racing games. it's the same in GT5 except polyphony said fuck you, modeled the cars, and branded them as "RUF"

Uhm. Not an "FU", its a work around. Also "RUF" is a very respected automobile company and has been around since the 1940's. They are not just some rebrand as others have posted. Their most famous for the Yellow Bird. I'm always surpised that no one has ever had Mathey or any Flying Lizard racing porsches in their games. Well Forza 3 had two Flying Lizard 911 GT3 RSR's which is was rad.

@SaintMits said:

Who the fuck wants a Porsche anyway?

I do.

@Megasoum said:

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

There was a pretty good amount of Ferrari's in Shift 2. It was Shift 1 where they were only available as DLC and on the Xbox 360 (which was really fucking lame).

@QKT said:

all the porches were exactly the same anyway, never fun to drive.

The hell? I'm not going to argue whether you found a Porsche fun to drive. But You do realize they are not all exactly the same. Using Forza 3's roster as an example there is a big difference between a 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS and oh I don't know a 1989 Porsche 944 Turbo.

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Anyway, I've always kind of hated Porches. Not only are they no where NEAR as sexy as everyone who cares about cars seems to think, they just aren't good cars. Not anymore, anywho. They have been falling further and further behind, with occasionally decent showing here and there.

A sweeping generalization of a car company primarily based on the fact you "kind of hate" them is exactly how that reads. I can't argue over the sexiness with you or how "good" you believe one to be. But how are they falling further behind? And behind what?

@sandwich_adjustment:

Rufs are not kits.

@jasondesante said:

RUF is owned by porsche, its like mazdasport (mazda) or nismo (nissan).

Nope, not the same. They are an independent car company, much like Alpina.

@Maelstrom said:

Sure, Microsoft just bought the exclusive rights to the Ferrari license not because they wanted to deny it to competitors but because they wanted to help the racing ecosystem. Right. I'm calling bullshit. Walk the walk Turn 10 before you start talking the talk with regards to other assholes wielding exclusive rights.

Exactly.

@Brodehouse said:

I can't imagine EA sending out a press release, "we really wanted to make a Warhammer 40k game, but THQ and Relic have exclusivity and won't let us, for shame."

This is why I don't jive with how Turn 10 is handling this. Obviously they have the advantage with the press and non petrol head gamers. They are the favorite. But I'm pretty sure I believe they are the only ones who could get away with making this news. For fucks sake they have Jalopnik in their pocket now.

@TheKing said:

@Devil240Z said:
HAHAHA Suck it Failza!
How pathetically sad.

He's kidding around you know. @Devil240Z: *GT5 race night fist bump*

#182 Posted by selbie (1847 posts) -

Plenty of other amazing cars to drive. EA can shove it up their Origin-whoring ass.

#183 Posted by positron (43 posts) -

Fuck EA

#184 Posted by skunkdragon (210 posts) -

This is the reason I no longer buy EA products. And why are more people not kicking up a fuss about the fucking EA pass bollox.

#185 Posted by Thor_Molecules (732 posts) -

Jesus, holding out on Porsches in games like Forza 4 in favor of mediocre racers like NFS:Shift, makes me a sad panda.

#186 Posted by MonkeysDad (61 posts) -

Alex, Sean O'Neal called. He want his "NO" back...

#187 Posted by PJ (1143 posts) -
@Brodehouse

@PJ said:

@Brodehouse: The sim-racing genre is a bit different. The inclution of licenced cars is a huge part of the experience(since its simulating real-life racing and you can't do that with fake cars) and its not like the gameplay in Forza will suffer by them adding cars.

If licensed cars are a 'huge part of the experience' then it should matter to developers/publishers of sim racing games to acquire those licenses before their competitors do. I'm sure you can criticize EA for not sharing something they paid for, but the games industry isn't a nice little game of hacky-sack, it's a constant competition to provide the best product. EA doesn't have to share their advantages with Microsoft anymore than Turn 10 should share their code with Slightly Mad.

I can't imagine EA sending out a press release, "we really wanted to make a Warhammer 40k game, but THQ and Relic have exclusivity and won't let us, for shame."

You seem to be misunderstanding me. You said that as long as the game is fun and the gameplay is good it doesn't matter if the cars are real or not. I said that's not really the case with sim-racers since real cars are a big part if the game. I never said that EA was wrong in doing this because their not.
#188 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Way to go EA, because now you can put "NEED FOR SPEED: THE RUN, THE PLACE WHERE PORCHE AND  PARKOUR FANS MEET!" on the box.

#189 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

And at the end of the day PC racing sims like rFactor win again because users create whatever the fuck they want.

#190 Posted by Brodehouse (9636 posts) -

Want to know why all of a sudden there is an focus on negative EA stories?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deviancy_amplification_spiral

Last year, would this story have been picked up by anyone? Games writers have seen the popular opinion shift on them after the EA/Valve drama, and are now adjusting what they qualify as 'news-worthy' in order to stroke their audience. Preaching to the choir serves no real use.

#191 Posted by TheHBK (5466 posts) -
@Megasoum said:

What Dan Greewalt didn't say in his interview though is that Microsoft holds the Ferrari license and won't share it with EA which is why there is no Ferraris at all in Shift 2. Double standard much?

This is why there are no Ferrarris in Shift 2.  EA won't do a little give and take.
#192 Posted by Rongaryen (269 posts) -

I'm still only going to buy Forza 4 for my sim-racing fix and I'm still not going to buy Shift.

#193 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (276 posts) -

@Kraznor: Racing game philistine!

#194 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (276 posts) -

@Maelstrom: That isn't what Dan was saying. He said that they are fair about sharing their exclusive Ferrari license around. That's plainly evident when you consider Gran Turismo 5, Forza's true competitor, has Ferraris in it.

Nobody is saying that EA are being cock-asses because they have the Porsche license. They're being called out for keeping that license from both Polyphony Digital and Turn 10. As if that's what's going to give Shift a true edge over both the Forza and Gran Turismo franchises.

Reading comprehension is key.

#195 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

This is really unfortunate, i hope Turn 10 will be able to add some Porches as DLC down the route? But thats a shitty thing to do EA! You don't even have a Shift game coming out this year!  
 
On the bright side; i would rather have Ferrari's over Porches any day! So keep your crummy Porches and i guess no Ferrari's for EA in the future. :P
#196 Posted by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Probably because GT was not willing to pay for the sub licensing.

It wouldn't make much sense to release this news much earlier because they have been trying to get EA to work with them all along, but with only two months to go until release it is time to call it quits on trying to get the cars into the release version, im sure they are still trying to get EA to talk to them and work out a deal, for maybe a DLC Porsche pack.

@Gunharp said:

I'm surprised this story is getting so much play on the net. This is pretty much the way it has been for Gran Turismo forever, they have never had a Porsche model. Obviously of course Turn 10 is making a stink about it, wanting to get the word out with the press. I'm going to miss the 914/6 the most in Forza 4, yes even more than the all mighty Porsche 962. Lastly they should have released this news earlier. This game ships in October they knew about this many months ago. Way to sit on it, and now distract from some real reveals. Yo does the 16 player MP work yet? Are you matching GT5's night/weather? lol

#197 Posted by Alex_Carrillo (276 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

@PJ said:

@Brodehouse: The sim-racing genre is a bit different. The inclution of licenced cars is a huge part of the experience(since its simulating real-life racing and you can't do that with fake cars) and its not like the gameplay in Forza will suffer by them adding cars.

If licensed cars are a 'huge part of the experience' then it should matter to developers/publishers of sim racing games to acquire those licenses before their competitors do. I'm sure you can criticize EA for not sharing something they paid for, but the games industry isn't a nice little game of hacky-sack, it's a constant competition to provide the best product. EA doesn't have to share their advantages with Microsoft anymore than Turn 10 should share their code with Slightly Mad.

I can't imagine EA sending out a press release, "we really wanted to make a Warhammer 40k game, but THQ and Relic have exclusivity and won't let us, for shame."

You do realize that EA has had the Porsche license for well over 10 years, right? Probably long before the XBOX was even a thing.

Also, the issue isn't that Porsche won't give Microsoft the license for free. That's entirely unrealistic. Obviously Microsoft would have to pay a premium for it, and they had with the first 2 games. It's the EA is outright not allowing their cars on any games they view as competitive. It's something Microsoft and Turn 10 don't do with their Ferrari license, as evident with their inclusion in Gran Turismo 5.

It's not about creating the most innovative, great playing product. I mean, have you Shift 2? It's a travesty, and insulting that they'd even call it a simulation. No, this is the NFL license all over again. It's EA taking the easy way out, grabbing exclusive licenses and keeping them for themselves.

The simulation genre is now completely starved of any Porsche cars. They're not in Forza anymore, they've never been in Gran Turismo, they're not in PC sims, and now it seems EA is cutting out the Shift series.

I suggest we stick to arguing about things we at least have some clue about, don't you think?

#198 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Thanks, Alex. I was ready to come into an article without being angry at something. Good thing I finished reading the title before clicking. Grow up a little.

#199 Posted by shuref00t (110 posts) -

Virtual Porsches only available to drive from Origin.

#200 Posted by Majkiboy (956 posts) -

Can't blame EA for making a business decision, licensing have been the case for a long time. I see no problem.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.