Kinect specific achievements

#1 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

I was one of the lucky ones to score a copy of Forza 4 early on, and I really have been loving every bit of it. It's actually kind of amusing how my biggest gripe with the game concerns a specific achievement in the game, called "Look Ma, No Controller!" The achievement is worth 5 points, and requires you to use the Kinect to drive a car in the game. As I do not own a Kinect myself, I have no way of gaining this achievement. Thus I have no way of S-ranking the game if I were inclined to do so. I'm not a huge "achievement-whore", but I know that many in the Giant Bomb community are.

What do you guys think about this? Do you think we are likely to see similar achievements in other "Better with Kinect" -games, like Mass Effect 3?

#2 Posted by jello44 (44 posts) -

I like achievements, but I'm not as big as an achievement whore as I used to be. If it takes far too long to accomplish an achievement, I don't bother with it. When it comes to a game I really like, I try to get all I can, as was the case with 3. I went for it and it was a pretty easy 1000G.

But when they do something stupid like that, it kinda irks me a bit; because I really have no interest in Kinect.

I think I know someone who has one, so I might just borrow it off of them for the two minutes it will take to get the achievement.

#3 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

Achievements are overrated. It just shows people how much you play videogames opposed to doing things like going out and socializing. Don't get me wrong, I used to go crazy for achievements, but I have since then seen the light, and it is oh so good!

#4 Posted by Sander (405 posts) -

I could borrow a friend's konnect or get the achievement at his place. If I really wanted to. I like achievements but some "achievements" seem more like somebody's bossing me around for their own amusement.

Like when you tell your little cousin to jump from the top of the stairs for $0.25. Lol

#5 Posted by matt_wickstrom (156 posts) -

@Sander: Only 25 cents? Damn he must be desperate!

#6 Posted by FritzDude (2216 posts) -

So how many people -- realistically -- will purchase a Kinect just for the extra 5G and full achievement score for this game?

#7 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

No one's entitled to an S rank. Even if you 1000/1000 the game, DLC can swoop in and take it from you. I see this along those same lines.

#8 Posted by zudthespud (3276 posts) -

@XII_Sniper said:

No one's entitled to an S rank. Even if you 1000/1000 the game, DLC can swoop in and take it from you. I see this along those same lines.

The last 2 Forza games have never had extra achievements, I've S Ranked both of them.

This is annoying, but I'm sure someone I know has a kinect I can borrow for 2 minutes.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10224 posts) -

@zudthespud: True as that may be, there are a ton of other Xbox games that have. There have been much dumber achievements anyway.

#10 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

If your game has Kinect specific things in it I don't think it's crazy to have Kinect specific achievements. There are some games with achievements that require you to have a XBL Gold account in order to get them. How is this any different than those?

#11 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@sickVisionz said:

There are some games with achievements that require you to have a XBL Gold account in order to get them. How is this any different than those?

#12 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1084 posts) -

@matt_wickstrom said:

Achievements are overrated. It just shows people how much you play videogames opposed to doing things like going out and socializing. Don't get me wrong, I used to go crazy for achievements, but I have since then seen the light, and it is oh so good!

Especially all those achievements in multiplayer where you often socialize. Don't get me wrong, I thought drug cartels were great for drugs. But then they moved into the US, so I'm not a big fan anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.