New car suggestions for Jeff?

• 82 results
#1 Posted by coonce (1429 posts) -

After watching the Forza 4 Quicklook and listening to Jeff's cars needs, I was wondering what type of new car I would suggest for him.

He currently drives an older (late '90s Ford Mustang) and he has a massive commute from Petaluma to San Francisco every day. After thinking about this for a few minutes my initial suggestion would be for him to purchase some sort of Cadillac since they're plush and would provide a comfortable ride for a bigger guy. After further thought however, I would probably recommend some type of hybrid so he could save gas money on his long commutes.

What would you recommend?

#2 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -
Peel p50
#3 Posted by rjayb89 (7722 posts) -

I'd love to see Jeff in a lowrider.

#4 Edited by Edin899 (627 posts) -

...Americans are so silly.

Get a german car,

BMW or better yet a AUDI. Or a nice VW passat

#5 Posted by chilibean_3 (1642 posts) -

John Madden style bus or 70's era bullpen car.

#6 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -

@Edin899 said:

Get a german car,

We would but it's too damn expensive to fix. We just can't take it around to a normal mechanic. We have to go to a mechanic who specializes in German cars plus the parts are more expensive. It's too much of a hassle. That being said I would recommend a Golf GTI because my god those things are beautiful.

#7 Posted by Edin899 (627 posts) -

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

@Edin899 said:

Get a german car,

We would but it's too damn expensive to fix. We just can't take it around to a normal mechanic. We have to go to a mechanic who specializes in German cars plus the parts are more expensive. It's too much of a hassle. That being said I would recommend a Golf GTI because my god those things are beautiful.

Really? I don't think german cars break down fast.

Over here there's german cars everywhere.

And there are tons of parts made by other fabricators.

#8 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1727 posts) -

Something practical for the daily commute , but with a little bit of flair? The choice is obvious: 

Reliability? Who cares!
#9 Edited by EuanDewar (4925 posts) -

Truckasaurus.

#10 Posted by Metal_Mills (2997 posts) -

Civic. Cause they're for girls.

Boom!

#11 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

@Metal_Mills said:

Civic. Cause they're for girls. Boom!

That hurts, man. Hurts real bad.

But yeah, Jeff should buy a Civic. Preferably one that was previously owned by someone that watched too much Fast and Furious and put a huge spoiler and a cheap body kit on it.

#12 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

@coonce: Nissan GT-R35

#13 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@coonce: Something Japanese. Japanese cars are super reliable and when they do break down they are cheap to repair.

And I mean proper Japanese cars, not the GMCs with Toyota badges.

#14 Posted by PhilipDuck (548 posts) -

He should get himself the Honda Fit he loved that!

#15 Posted by TekZero (2672 posts) -

Suburu WRX STi.

But he seems to like American, so the new Mustangs look sweet.

#16 Posted by Hoffafiles (285 posts) -

Audi, or Passat,

also <3 Coonce

#17 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

The Mercedes 500K. Of course, he would need a long white scarf, driving gloves and a hat to properly drive it.
#18 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

New Mustang, definitely. Or old Mustang. Or a Lincoln Town Car, perhaps? I mean, it is basically still a Ford, and it's a large car for the money.

#19 Posted by ZombiePie (5669 posts) -
@Edin899 said:

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

@Edin899 said:

Get a german car,

Jeff has stated his parents own an auto shop that does not service German cars. Also he hates the look of BMWs. 
So no.
Moderator Online
#20 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

My girlfriends friend bought an old style double decker London bus for £17,000 added a toilet and a kitchen and a massive sound system, this is the only thing I ever want to drive and the only thing I can recommend.

#21 Posted by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

Office LFA. Make it happen.

#22 Posted by Hailinel (24805 posts) -

A Yugo. The pinnacle of European automotive design.

I am lying.

#23 Edited by Trace (3556 posts) -

Jeff should get that Dodge Challenger he's mulling over, or heed Coonce's advice and look into a Cadillac. Both are good for Jeff's needs. The Cadillacs still have image issues, since they look too luxurious for their sportiness, but they're definitely worth a try.

Don't get a Lexus. Don't be that guy.

#24 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

The Challenger seems to be a good choice, considering he was interested in one already. A Cadillac wouldn't be too bad either. My buddy has one, and it's a great car to drive around in.

#25 Posted by sagesebas (2003 posts) -

Challengers are badass

#26 Posted by BirdkeeperDan (400 posts) -

There are two other factors that coonce didn't list that are relavant. The car should be servicable by his parents auto business as previously stated. Also in a ustream he stated he is is scared of underpowered cars they reduce his ability to avoid accidents. So at least 6 cylinders and probably not more than 6 because of the long commute. The car should be roomy and he seems to like sports models. This seems to imply the standard american sportscar. It's not suprising he is looking at the charger. I would look for a cheaper option though but I'm cheap.

#27 Posted by gnarlycore (85 posts) -

Whats the price range we are looking for? That's a huge determining factor here.

#28 Posted by ZombieSpace (286 posts) -

I think he should go for a nice Lexus is 250

or...a classic E30!! yeaaaaah

#29 Posted by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

@PsEG: Who is "That guy." The dude who gets a nice reliable car?

#30 Posted by Bouke (1402 posts) -

I would recommend Toyota to anyone, but i don't really see Jeff driving a Japanese car. The Challenger he was thinking about already seems like a perfect fit though! But white!? If he wants a white car, he should just buy a Honda!

#31 Edited by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

Nissan Micra. Or a horse.

#32 Posted by dagas (2837 posts) -

American cars have a bad rep here in Europe for being unreliable, but I guess they are cheaper over in the US and they don't need to be reliable when Americans buy new cars all the time. It's not like here when a 20 year old Volvo with 700k miles on it still rolls. Here in Sweden the biggest killer of cars is rust. The cars will rust long before the engine gives up. In our climate a car can rust in a couple of years if you are unlucky and don't take care of it.

If you want something inexpensive but still pretty good then Skoda is great bang for you buck, but I don't think they even sell those in the US. A Skoda is basically just a cheaper Volkswagen.

#33 Posted by MGSolid86 (179 posts) -
@Edin899

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

@Edin899 said:

Get a german car,

I know one guy with two BMWs, one has been off of the road and needs repairs and his other one is in and out of the shop every other year. I know another guy with a BMW that's in the repair shop every 4 or 5 months, but he races autocross with it. I only know one guy with a BMW who hasn't had repairs on it in the 3 or 4 years he's owned it. I love the look of BMWs, but I'd be hardpressed to buy one due to breakdown/repairs.

I suggest a Cadillac CTS Sport Sedan or an Audi A4 (sedan).
#34 Posted by j3ffro919 (243 posts) -

@W0lfbl1tzers said:

@Edin899 said:

Get a german car,

I was going to recommend exactly that. I'm a bit biased since I picked up a 2011 GTI in February, but it is a blast to drive and comfortable. Your first comment is 100% correct, before the GTI I drove a 2003 BMW M3 for a few years, nothing ever went wrong with it and I still spent a few thousand a year on maintenance...no bueno.

Plus, the stereo in the GTI has an SD card slot, I've loaded a bunch of Bombcasts onto it for my 40 minute each way commute.

#35 Posted by Unasinous (24 posts) -
#36 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

The Honda Cunt.

#37 Posted by Bulby33 (590 posts) -

I'm a Dodge guy so I think Jeff's idea to get a Dodge Challenger is great —they're good cars. My brother rented a Dodge Challenger once and it was awesome.

I drive a Dodge Dakota and I fucking love it, but I don't think Jeff wants a truck.

#38 Posted by intoblivion (314 posts) -

A Skoda Yeti, to land the Office Helicoptor on..............

#39 Posted by endaround (2145 posts) -

Obviously the Hyundai Veloster, with its Xbox 360 connection!

Seriously he should consider a Lancer Evo.

#40 Posted by W0lfbl1tzers (1789 posts) -
He's good for it, right?
#41 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I don't think there's anything wrong with the Challenger he's looking at, though I don't think he should get it in white, unless he's going to wear that white track suit of his every day.

I just don't see him cleaning it often enough.

#42 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@W0lfbl1tzers: you are correct... I have an Audi TT and yes things are more expensive when it gets worked on

But this is easy.... Nissan GTR

#43 Posted by Voxatron (352 posts) -

@PsEG said:

Jeff should get that Dodge Challenger he's mulling over, or heed Coonce's advice and look into a Cadillac. Both are good for Jeff's needs. The Cadillacs still have image issues, since they look too luxurious for their sportiness, but they're definitely worth a try.

Don't get a Lexus. Don't be that guy.

This for sure. Yet if he's going bother spending that much money on Cadillac, he'd be better off just pouring it all into a Challenger, equalizing the luxury of ride with it's in muscle car nature which more reflects his image anyway .

He'd do just fine with Lexus too though, "that guy" phew. :P Though as for Coonce's advice, like he mentioned in the quick look, still not adult enough to stop wanting cars that have gas guzzler taxes, what better car to pay taxes on.

#44 Posted by Barrock (3533 posts) -

Euro body version of the Ford Fiesta. Awesome little car. Great gas mileage. Bluetooth and Sync are both amazing.

#45 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1210 posts) -
Keep rollin' rollin' rollin' rollin'
#46 Posted by Management (596 posts) -

I would say a German or Japanese car, they are reliable and they use 1/3 of the gas American cars use.

#47 Posted by TheSmashing (313 posts) -

BMW E46 M3

#48 Posted by pweidman (2334 posts) -

Yo Jeff: Get a new Ford Mustang(or any other new Ford)at Fairfield Ford, just a little ways northeast of you(FordFairfield.com). You can do it almost all online w/their direct sales dept. Ask for Justin or Daeric. Best price in Nor Cal and zero hassle when you get the deal done online. The dealership is a Ford outlet proper, and they just want to move units, so there is seriously no pressure sales BS(just bought a new Mustang myself this way). Give 'em an e-mail or call or just drop in and see for yourself.

#49 Posted by TomA (2531 posts) -

Mazda or Honda. Good quality Japanese cars, they hold up well and most are cheaper on gas than their competitors.

How I know: Personal experience.

#50 Posted by Vinny_Says (5709 posts) -

1964 Chevrolet impala

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.