Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Forza Motorsport 5

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 22, 2013

Forza Motorsport's debut on the Xbox One.

Microsoft: "Forza 5 is like your refrigerator"

• 52 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/16/forza-motorsport-5-requires-one-time-internet-connection

So when you first boot up the game, we’re going to ask you to log in,” he explained. “And when you log in you’re going to get the Drivatars and you’re also going to get a whole bunch of content: tracks and cars. Our production schedule is such that we are putting them in as late as possible and that means making them free as downloadable content on Day One.

We’re not making a launch game. We’re making Forza 5, at launch.

“[But] that is required content to play the game. We basically have designed the game to work with all that content no matter how late is coming in, in order to make the biggest game possible.”

In other words, because games have to be submitted to Microsoft testing, certified, and then pressed onto discs and shipped, Forza 5 has to be done much, much sooner than November. By requiring part of the game as a download on launch day, it gives Turn 10 extra time to finish everything. And so what you get on the disc you buy at the store won’t be the entire game. You’ll need to download the rest of it from Xbox Live (which should be possible to occur as you play, Greenawalt clarified).

After that, Greenawalt said, Forza 5 is like your refrigerator. “You have to fill it up with food the first time,” he explained. “And from then on, you connect whenever you want when you want to update your food.

I actually kind of see their point. It really must be a pain in the ass task getting a launch title ready and making sure it's a good game with a lot of content, but with that said...

For crying out loud, can't Microsoft give one damn interview without saying something incredibly stupid?

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

update your food

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have to update the firm ware on my bananas. Shit, this Pizza has DRM.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I actually kind of see their point. It really must be a pain in the ass task getting a launch title ready and making sure it's a good game with a lot of content, but with that said...

For crying out loud, can't Microsoft give one damn interview without saying something incredibly stupid?

Maybe some people are just being overly sensitive about everything they say?

Not to mention, this is a comment from the head of Turn10, isn't it? So, even though they're owned by Microsoft, it's not like he's just another out of touch Microsoft executive like Mattrick.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@spaceinsomniac said:

Not to mention, this is a comment from the head of Turn10, isn't it? So, even though they're owned by Microsoft, it's not like he's just another out of touch Microsoft executive like Mattrick.

I think it's at least fair to say that he could have definitely found a better analogy.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

So you're saying Forza 4 is powered by the CELL processor? I thought it was discontinued!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By bigjeffrey

If Dan Greenawalt said this, i will be buying Forza 5 Day 1.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

User Lists: 0

Man I love updating my food. I want only the latest foods. If Forza 5 is anything like owning a refrigerator I'll be on it like white on freshly updated rice.
    Ah dunno. Okay.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I think it's at least fair to say that he could have definitely found a better analogy.

Both quite true. Unless there is some gold later in this thread, this simple correction and reply is in the early lead for best response.

But when you think about it, With Forza 5 being like a refrigerator, it should go nicely with the Xbox One, which of course is the next water cooler.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

I was originally going to respond a bit sarcastically, but Firefox crashed. So... I'll take that as a hint to give a different kind of reply. heh.

He definitely could have used a better analogy or found a different way of saying it. Videogame developers have consistently made lame/silly/vague analogies and comparisons to sell their games or features in those games.

What I think is silly is people talking as though Microsoft is unique in this(or that it has only been recently), and at this point, I can't help but make a "Are you serious right now?" face at @spaceinsomniac asking this in big bold letters. Developers have said silly things and over-hyped their games and features since the beginning of videogames; so, when I hear an analogy like this, my first impulse isn't to freak out or make a big deal about it. It's just the kind of thing developers say. Heck, regularly talking to gamers, I hear similar(if not worse) analogies on a near daily basis on videogames or recent events. It isn't surprising, and I struggle to relate to those regularly freaking out about every little thing Microsoft is saying and making a new thread every time a single word or sentence strikes them as odd.

At a certain point, it just looks like some kind of mass madness, and while I know some people do care about every little minutiae like this and delight in any opportunity to mock a developer, I can't help but feel kind of embarrassed when I see threads like this. I know you probably didn't mean anything by it or intended to add to the Internet's cacophony of gamer absurdity, @spaceinsomniac, but your little blow up at the end just rubbed me the wrong way.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Forza is cool.

That's what I've taken out of this.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm not looking for a refrigerator or a water-cooler right now. What's your microwave, MS?

Seriously, it's a faulty but not entirely invalid comparison. Unfortunately what it also means is boatloads of DLC.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is stupid. I do not need to be online to get food. With Forza I have to be online because otherwise even If I had bought the game at retail I would have gotten nothing. I think it is really stupid that I HAVE to download most of the content for game the first time I want to play it.

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn... can't have any toppings on my pizza..
    Didn't buy the topping-pass :(

Funnies aside, i dig the idea of my refrigerator being more like my PC or a Console, which is the exact opposite. Really looking forward to getting an Smart-Refrigerator at some point in the future.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@truthtellah said:

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

Developers have said silly things and over-hyped their games and features since the beginning of videogames; so, when I hear an analogy like this, my first impulse isn't to freak out or make a big deal about it. It's just the kind of thing developers say. Heck, regularly talking to gamers, I hear similar(if not worse) analogies on a near daily basis on videogames or recent events. It isn't surprising, and I struggle to relate to those regularly freaking out about every little thing Microsoft is saying and making a new thread every time a single word or sentence strikes them as odd.

At a certain point, it just looks like some kind of mass madness, and while I know some people do care about every little minutiae like this and delight in any opportunity to mock a developer, I can't help but feel kind of embarrassed when I see threads like this. I know you probably didn't mean anything by it or intended to add to the Internet's cacophony of gamer absurdity, @spaceinsomniac, but your little blow up at the end just rubbed me the wrong way.

For me, it's not so much the developer saying something to over-hype their game or console, but a developer trying to break arguably bad news--which, again, I actually agree with--by using a really stupid analogy. I just don't know why people who have reached these insanely successful positions in life can't help but continuously putting their collective feet in their mouths.

Lately it's Microsoft, but in the past it's been Sony. 599.99 US dollars? Okay, that's a high price, but at least you're not saying something stupid in an interview. Oh, you think that people should get second jobs to pay for your system? REALLY? That's what you're going with?

And this refrigerator comment wasn't some stupid slip up while talking to 500 crappy gaming blogs in a row all day at E3. This was a damn IGN interview. That is a time to prepare your message and drive it home, not to wing horrible analogies off the top of your head.

Unless that WAS a prepared message, and then that's just sad. But seriously, it's not THAT hard to talk about something and not say something stupid. How do people in highly successful and important positions keep screwing this up?

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nethlem said:

Damn... can't have any toppings on my pizza..

Didn't buy the topping-pass :(

Funnies aside, i dig the idea of my refrigerator being more like my PC or a Console, which is the exact opposite. Really looking forward to getting an Smart-Refrigerator at some point in the future.

No kidding, right? I want one of those refrigerators that knows what you put in it and makes a shopping list for you as you eat. That is the future.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My old man use to say that you never really own beer, you only rent it.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you get into it, it leaves you cold?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its because it's "COOL."

I love steak.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So does Forza's content go bad if I leave it in there too long?

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, where do I put the water cooler again?

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still think "Drivatar" is a dumb term. That fridge analogy is pointless, they need to be short and concise. Game will be released, more content will be delivered through the internet later.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How will i play offline with my bricked Xbox ONE that requires a Day 1 patch? I guess my fridge will deliver the patch.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is this a question?

I still find it ridiculous that people are bitching over this one time update. Anything to hate on the Xbox One, I guess.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By reisz

Screw this, I'm going to download all of my pizza for free from now on.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JasonR86

I like how the games aren't always online like offseason workouts in professional sports aren't mandatory.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

LIke my refrigerator? So you mean it barely works and I'll be trying to replace it?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ramone

I forget to update my food and now I'm hungry.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think he mixed analogies there. You don't 'update' your food, you get more. He shouldn't have said you have to connect to update your food. The first time, you fill it with food. After that, you have to get more food to put in. You don't update the food in your fridge.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

False analogy. I can put bullets, cash, a severed head, my underwear, and a month's supply of tacos in my refrigerator. Can I put that in my Forza? No.

In fact Forza 5 I'd like a car they sell you without an interior or engine. They deliver those on launch day. You are unable to test drive the production engine or interior until its delivered. It's almost certainly delivered half broken.

Blastroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My milk is old so I update it with fresh milk. The version number is the expiration date.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By gaminghooligan

Shit my milk is only v 1.03

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I dunno, while the analogy isn't perfect, this explanation for the day one "patch" makes total sense to me, and I like that they're explaining it upfront. I don't see what the fuss is about.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By EXTomar

Why am I picturing someone going out to their Lamborghini Diablo, opening the door and pulling out a ham sandwich?

On a more serious note, it is fine they are working on and hyping up Forza 5 but I'd be more excited about seeing a Forza Horizon update.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

@punkxblaze said:

If you pirate your pizza, you can't eat it with your friends.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This continues to be dumb. Shipping, what basically amounts too, an incomplete game.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

I should probably update my food. It's all been kinda slow.

Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Turkalurch

THAT IS NOT HOW MY REFRIGERATOR WORKS!

But seriously, I guess they had to compete with Sony's PS+ Driveclub deal in some way.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

If Microsoft had explained Xbox One's DRM this way, everyone would have been totally okay with it.

"So if my Xbox is offline for 24 hours all my games will go bad? Makes sense."

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

no, this analogy is amazing. SIMPLY THE BEST.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that papaya Steam compatible?

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz said:

@punkxblaze said:

Guys, guys, I hacked my fridge to give me free pizza! Anyone want a slice? I also swapped Master Chief to be a hot naked lady with unlimited ammo.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TruthTellah

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

Simply the best? Better than all the rest?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pweidman

First he's not part of MS, second Forza's badass and I can't wait to play 5, and third the analogy is weird, but...so what.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@earlessshrimp said:

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

you keep that in the fridge, right?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

@earlessshrimp said:

@hailinel said:

@truthtellah said:

@spaceinsomniac said:

you keep that in the fridge, right?

Better than any analogy, any analogy I've ever heard.

I'm stuck on your concept art, I hang on every word you say...

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The analogy is kind of stupid, but to be honest I love my refrigerator. It brings up positive emotions. There's definitely worse things to compare your games day one patch to.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dalai

But will the new fridge be backwards compatible with the food currently in my old fridge? I don't want to throw it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.