The Frederic Chopin wiki last edited by Edmundus on 05/31/14 02:17AM
View full history
Frederic Chopin was a Polish composer of classical piano music who lived during the first half of the nineteenth century. Though he was musically gifted and composed a large catalogue of music that would go on to become popular classics, he was cursed with a frail constitution and tended to fall ill quite easily. He died at the age of 39 of tuberculosis.
In Video Games
The widespread impression of Chopin as a tortured Romantic has contributed to his lasting popularity, and his music is often employed in modern media to evoke sadness or nostalgia. The Funeral March from his second piano sonata is probably Chopin's most widely known piece and has been used in several video games, normally as a jingle accompanying a lost life or a game over screen.
Chopin's life and work are the central inspiration behind the tri-Crescendo RPG Eternal Sonata. The game tells a fictionalized tale of Chopin's final hours as he sleeps on his deathbed and dreams of a fantasy world heavily influenced by musical concepts. The narrative is punctuated with interludes describing Chopin's life and the history behind some of his most famous pieces, which are also included in the game's soundtrack.
The soundtrack to Catherine is largely comprised of remixes of classical pieces, including a pair of Chopin's works. Those included in the game are Revolutionary Etude and the aforementioned Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2.
Chopin's Music in Video Games
- 1975 - Gun Fight - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1983 - Jumpman - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1983 - Jumpman Jr - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1984 - Wild Gunman - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1988 - Hard Head - Fantasie Impromptu, Op.66
- 1991 - Lemmings - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1992 - Alone in the Dark - Waltz in A-flat, Op. 69 No. 1 "L'Adieu"
- 1994 - Theme Park - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1994 - Final Fantasy VI - Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 1997 - Megaman Legends - Nocturne in E flat, Op.9 No.2
- 2002 - Clock Tower 3 - Fantasie Impromptu, Op.66
- 2004 - Gran Turismo 4 - Prelude in D flat, Op. 28 No.15
- 2007 - Eternal Sonata - Various Works
- 2010 - Gran Turismo 5 - Waltz in C sharp minor, Op.64 No.2, Fantasie Impromptu, Op. 66
- 2010 - Music Master Chopin - Various Works
- 2011 - Catherine - "Revolutionary" Etude, Op. 10 No.12, Funeral March from Piano Sonata No.2, Op.35
- 2013 - Bioshock Infinite - Nocturne in E flat, Op.9 No.2