Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Free to Play

Concept »

Free to Play titles allow a user to play a version of the game without paying an initial purchase fee, but generally require the purchase of microtransactions to access additional content.

(F2P) The Free To Play Confessionals Thread.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By falserelic

Anyway I was playing Warframe today and I kinda felt like I spent too much on petty stuff. Today they released a costume for the Excalibur Warframe. The costume was from a game called Dark Sector.

I really wanted the costume since I've always liked it. I spent 8 bucks on it and I was happy, but then I wasn't satisfied with the color pallet sets. So I ended up spending 14 bucks on 3 different sets of colors pallets, and after that I got tired of the main gun I was using. I could have built a different gun, but I didn't feel like grinding for points or waiting, So I spend 20 bucks on a big Shotgun called the Dragoon, and here it is.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Even though I spent money before on this game. Today I just felt like I spent too much money on petty stuff, but at the sametime I don't regret it and it made the game more fun. I just wanted to kickass in style and showoff. Warframe is the only F2P game I actually spent money on, and I play this game way too fucking much. Hell I almost have all the trophies. I've been playing this game since January and I still haven't beaten it.

Avatar image for creepyunclebrad
    CreepyUncleBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By CreepyUncleBrad

I've never spent money of a F2P game before. I'm not radically opposed to it or anything, I just haven't seen anything worth spending money on for me.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By confusedowl

I've put money into a Runescape membership back in the day, but other than that I've never really put a whole lot of money into free to play games before.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no "too much" as long as you can afford it and are still enjoying the game (and not just items). I've spent like $30 on War Thunder.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've spent a lot of money on League for a free game.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#6 riostarwind  Moderator

A F2P game really has to make me think it's worth giving the developers some money in order for me to spend it. Like I enjoyed Jetpack Joyride enough that I just had to buy the coin doubler to support the developer since they made a great game. Also since most of what they sell in F2P games is costumes I usually don't care what my character looks like while I'm playing so none of that effects me most of the time.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, when I got this is a crate, I decided I was done with TF2 crates entirely. I thought about it and realized I had never gotten anything worthwhile out of them. This has carried over to all F2P games for me.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By generic_username

Usually when I spend money on free to play games, it's just my way of saying, "hey, I enjoyed your game, thanks for giving it me for free." Like a tip, or something. The times I have spent money on a free to play game just for the sake of some fake currency, I have always, without fail, felt like I spent too much on it. Most F2P stuff seems balanced so that ten bucks lasts about five minutes, and then it's all gone, and you're almost exactly where you were before spending the money.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never put a single dime into "Free to Play" games, because I am completely opposed to it.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
    Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Looking at you, Team Fortress 2.

*shakes fist*

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to ask that to some of the people who played War Thunder PS4 and bought themselves jet planes. $500+ on in-game currency.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By Nodima

I've never bought in-game currency or played a free to play that made me feel like I needed to spend money to enjoy it. It probably helps I don't game on a PC or phone.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Sooty

I have spent around $100-150 on League of Legends across 4 years (rarely play it now) and have amassed over 1500 hours. Sounds like a lot but it just adds up bit by bit.

I routinely spend money on games and find them disappointing or boring and sell them at a loss, or they go to waste completely if they are digital, so when you look at it from a time per dollar perspective, I got a great deal.

You know what I really regret? Paying so much money over the years for server transfers and race changes on World of Warcraft. What a fucking waste, and they were also getting money from me for expansions and the monthly fee. At the time though, I had my fun, even if a few times I really did throw money away.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By falserelic

Usually when I spend money on free to play games, it's just my way of saying, "hey, I enjoyed your game, thanks for giving it me for free." Like a tip, or something. The times I have spent money on a free to play game just for the sake of some fake currency, I have always, without fail, felt like I spent too much on it. Most F2P stuff seems balanced so that ten bucks lasts about five minutes, and then it's all gone, and you're almost exactly where you were before spending the money.

For most part in Warframe you can get most of everything for free, but it can take some serious grinding and patience. I usually unlock all my stuff for free since I love grinding in the game. Having a powered up Warframe can make you feel badass, and since the devs are releasing and adding updates it just gets better. Right now I'm in the process of building two new Warframes.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

Watching this guy's vids helped me out alot. He basically explains how every Warframe can be useful in their own way, and I kinda feel bad of deleting my Loki Warframe. I hated Loki, but after watching this vid.

Loading Video...

I wish I gave Loki more of a chance, and used him only for sneaky and supportive roles, but now I want ash.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I have occasionally spent real money on TF2, and Guild Wars 2.
    Not that much, If I enjoy the game, I'm happy to give the developers some money to help.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent more money on Guild Wars 2 than I wish I had.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent money in a few good mobile F2P games such as Middle Manager of Justice and Total War: Shogun. Never more than $10, but I feel good about the purchases I make.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By crithon

hmmm, I feel the game needs to pass over 40 hours of gameplay before I want to spend 1 buck. I have over 3000 hours in TF2 and I only spent 99 cents on a hat that supports community map makers. But then I bought it back when it was part of Orange Box, so I imagine it's at least 20 bucks spent at the time.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By slyspider

I spent like $700 on league over 4 years, but I've played it for 4 years straight so I guess that works out

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Haruko

If you feel that you got your moneys worth there is nothing wrong with spending money. As long as you don't give it to EA mobile.

Also I think I've spent like $20 on tribes ascend and like $40 on TF2 and Dota Keys and I regret none of it so there ya go.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try not to think about it too much. I normally put aside some money for stuff like games so I don't go into my "paying bills" money. Also, hey, I did the same thing for Warframe! Except I bought Hydroid and the Attica crossbow.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spraynardtatum

This thread should be called F2P Confessionals

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

hey, spend your money how you want.

I played City of Heroes for a few years. Bought it new at $50-60, monthly subscription fee for the early years, expansion pack (city of villains), plus I paid for one of those origins packs. $400+ easy. Now it's all gone. Servers gone, characters, everything.

I guess that's the only thing I'd say about F2P games or MMOs - get your enjoyment out of them but don't expect any of it to be around tomorrow.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. There was a week where I thought I might stick with The Simpson, Tapped Out, and wanted to make a cool town. I think I plopped down 10 or 15 bucks to get... something. But it was 10 or 15 bucks too many, for sure.

I won't make that mistake again.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own every champion in League of Legends and quite a few skins....can't say I unlocked all champs via 'earned' currency either. I'd hate to see the total spent.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread should be called F2P Confessionals

I think I might actually rename it to that, thanks duder.

I try not to think about it too much. I normally put aside some money for stuff like games so I don't go into my "paying bills" money. Also, hey, I did the same thing for Warframe! Except I bought Hydroid and the Attica crossbow.

Loading Video...

I want to play as him so badly, but he's not released for ps4 yet.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never spent any money in a F2P game. I mean, I play Candy Crush a ton (level 415 now, woo!), but haven't spent a penny in the game.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Draw Something and Spiral Knights are the only free games I can think of that I've put money into. Unless you count games that went free to play AFTER I paid for the full version, like SW:TOR and APB.

Rabidlamb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Rabidlamb

Don't ask me why but I just started playing Everquest.

It's terrible.

I can't stop playing.

I gave them 5 bucks for a silver account.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While it's not strictly a free to play game, I have dropped an unhealthy amount of money into Magic Online. I have also spent a little in Marvel Puzzle Quest, but that was more of a 'tip' to the developers than anything else.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#32  Edited By L33T_HAXOR

I wound up putting a little over $50 into Tribes Ascend. In the end I regretted it... The developers kept releasing update after update, each one unbalancing the game a little more. That drove me away from the game, and my understanding is that the community has become very small at this point and I doubt I'll find the time to dip back into it.

What cracked me up was reading an interview with the developers after they decided to stop focusing on Tribes and move on to Smite. "We kept updating the game as fast as we could, but the player numbers kept dropping!" Yeah, because you fucked up the game a little more with each update. Man, that game showed so much promise when it first came out...

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i confess that when someone says a game is f2p then i'm like oh well it probably sucks!!!!!!

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#34  Edited By Kidavenger

I bought the retail version for League of Legends, It came with $15 worth of in game currency and I never even spent that, I don't do micro transactions at all.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've put about $80 into Marvel Heroes. In general these days I'll put down about $10 on a F2P game just at the outset so I can more quickly get over the hump of not having anything enjoyable to work with. Any more than that and it has to really hook me.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By butano

Put $10 down for Deadpool in Marvel Heroes. Worth it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a friend of mine has put like 100s of dollars into world of tanks. I have not spent money in F2P games unless you count the coin doubler in jetpack joyride.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.