Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Free to Play

Concept »

Free to Play titles allow a user to play a version of the game without paying an initial purchase fee, but generally require the purchase of microtransactions to access additional content.

How I feel about Free to Play

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Thusian

So I have a few random thoughts about the games industry right now.  I don't pretend to know what will happen, but I thought I would share my feelings as an armchair analyst.

First of all let us discuss the idea of Free to Play.  What is interesting about this is that that there is no one approach.  I feel better about some models than others.  For starters the big dog Zynga and their ilk.  As someone who has never played one of their games it appears from the outside that either you have very strict limitations on how much you can get done in a play session. You can remedy this one of three ways:

1.  pay them money
    2. Take a survey sacrificing tonnes of your Personal Information which they are already mining some of for merit of you playing.
    3. Harass your friends advertising the game and if I understand the TOS giving some of your friends personal information away if they have not opted out of the platform or blocked the application.
    Overall I find this model pretty gross. The games from the outside hardly seem worth the costs in cash or inconvenience of having marketers up your ass.

Second we have the in game purchases model. So you play Team Fortress 2 for free, but you can buy novelty hats.  League of Legends has this, with an added twist.  Your characters need to be purchased, either with points awarded for paying or with space dollars purchased with real dollars.  The free champions rotate in and out week over week.  I am a little ambivalent about this aspect of the model, because you will get accustomed to a character and then if you want to use them to remain competitive you either need to have farmed enough points to keep that champion or fork over some cash.  Otherwise you need to be comfortable loosing your competitive edge every week.  I like LOL, but I forked over for the digital collectors up front to avoid the issue.  It will be fine so long as they don't introduce new Champions which break the balance.  

Third is Age of Empires Online.  A game where you get only a couple of Civs up front and then you pay 20 to get the rest.  I feel like the GB crew calling that akin to shareware is pretty spot on. I have no issue with this model as it is essentially a huge demo where you get to keep your progress if you purchase.

Please let me know if I have missed any models and how you all feel about the Free to Play trend.  My biggest concern is how much room there is for games set up like this.  Will it be the same as the MMO where Blizzard got the audience willing to pay a monthly fee and everyone else starves?
    Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Thusian

So I have a few random thoughts about the games industry right now.  I don't pretend to know what will happen, but I thought I would share my feelings as an armchair analyst.

First of all let us discuss the idea of Free to Play.  What is interesting about this is that that there is no one approach.  I feel better about some models than others.  For starters the big dog Zynga and their ilk.  As someone who has never played one of their games it appears from the outside that either you have very strict limitations on how much you can get done in a play session. You can remedy this one of three ways:

1.  pay them money
    2. Take a survey sacrificing tonnes of your Personal Information which they are already mining some of for merit of you playing.
    3. Harass your friends advertising the game and if I understand the TOS giving some of your friends personal information away if they have not opted out of the platform or blocked the application.
    Overall I find this model pretty gross. The games from the outside hardly seem worth the costs in cash or inconvenience of having marketers up your ass.

Second we have the in game purchases model. So you play Team Fortress 2 for free, but you can buy novelty hats.  League of Legends has this, with an added twist.  Your characters need to be purchased, either with points awarded for paying or with space dollars purchased with real dollars.  The free champions rotate in and out week over week.  I am a little ambivalent about this aspect of the model, because you will get accustomed to a character and then if you want to use them to remain competitive you either need to have farmed enough points to keep that champion or fork over some cash.  Otherwise you need to be comfortable loosing your competitive edge every week.  I like LOL, but I forked over for the digital collectors up front to avoid the issue.  It will be fine so long as they don't introduce new Champions which break the balance.  

Third is Age of Empires Online.  A game where you get only a couple of Civs up front and then you pay 20 to get the rest.  I feel like the GB crew calling that akin to shareware is pretty spot on. I have no issue with this model as it is essentially a huge demo where you get to keep your progress if you purchase.

Please let me know if I have missed any models and how you all feel about the Free to Play trend.  My biggest concern is how much room there is for games set up like this.  Will it be the same as the MMO where Blizzard got the audience willing to pay a monthly fee and everyone else starves?
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I agree that the Zynga model is pretty disgusting, I really don't like what they're doing. Just a side note but with TF2 you can not only buy hats but weaponry as well, and of course the big difference between buying hats in TF2, and characters in League of Legends is that one is purely aesthetic while the other is not. Managing F2P is a very difficult issue and I don't think there's one perfect solution which makes everyone happy, but I prefer a system where all content in a game can be accessed if you play for long enough, but micro-transactions or subscription fees allow you easier access to that content. Really I'd also prefer in general that content you have to pay for would be aesthetic only, but that may often be an unreasonable demand of the developer. I don't think you can compare F2P games to MMOs though, one is a business model, the other is a genre. You can't corner the F2P market with one game because while people may prefer F2P, there are still different people who prefer different types of games.

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Thusian

Thank you for your thoughtful response.  My concern in the F2P arena is there will be one FPS which takes, one  RTS one RPG and everything else will be left out in the cold.  I know this happens with retail as well, but through timing and creating something different you can take a small amount of time from the CoD player and have them play your game.  To ask someone who is big into LoL to take away their LoL time to play DOTA, its a harder preposition because you are so invested in LoL.  I am concerned it does not have as much room as pay for sale games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.