Freedom Fighters!

Posted by rimmonhouse (15 posts) -

Inspired by the Load Our Last Save feature I decided to revisit Freedom Fighters, having only a vague recollection of enjoying it when it first released on the XBOX in 2003. I snagged a used copy of the PC version off Amazon for only $4. Anyone else thinking about playing this game should definitely opt for the PC version. Watching Vinny play on the XBOX, the targeting looked terrible, whereas the PC version is very precise with the keyboard and mouse control scheme. Also, if you've bought a decent PC in past five years, the game is going to run flawlessly.

The game is super fun. It's not overly difficult and the combat is very engaging. My favorite aspect is that the game rewards you for playing strategically. Each map is basically a puzzle, allowing you to tackle an objective in multiple ways. It doesn't take a lot of brain teasing to deduce the best path through a level, but when you execute a perfect strategic strike it is very satisfying. When your squad gets large enough, you can actually complete levels without firing a single bullet yourself. I'm about three-quarters through the game now and I definitely plan to see it through to the end.

One other thing I want to mention about the game is that the story is hilarious! I have read on message boards people complaining about the Russian stereotypes, but the American characters themselves are equally ridiculous. It is the uber-communist-evil-soviets versus the flag-waving-jingoistic-chest-pounding-apple-pie-eating-americans -- in short, it's very entertaining. Midway through the game the protagonist gives a speech on national television that is worth the price of admission ($4 in my case).

This is my first blog post and I plan to follow it up with periodic ramblings on my current gaming experiences. Cheers!

#2 Posted by GS_Dan (1397 posts) -

I remember loving it on Gamecube and playibg shit tonnes of split screen multi with mates. Might try to find a PC copy.

#3 Posted by hbkdx12 (779 posts) -

Absolutely loved the shit out of this game. 

There were only two games that i wanted to be backwards compatiable with the 360: Freedom Fighters and Def Jam Fight for New York and Microsoft let me down on both fronts

FUCK YOU MS!

#4 Posted by ozzdog12 (864 posts) -

My favorite game of all time

#5 Posted by Cobra_Kai (20 posts) -

Man I miss this game, I keep hoping they go batshit crazy some day, and release it on xbox arcade

#6 Posted by TheHT (11799 posts) -

That TV station speech gave me chills. Love a game that'll pull you into it's own ridiculousness.

#7 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6158 posts) -

Yay necros, it's kind of disheartening that they made such a fun and entertaining if brief game in Freedom Fighters and then went on to chug out Kane and Lynch afterward.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.